Youtube video gorgeous 4a natural hair

:lol:That was a funny exchange and I think both of them have valid points:yep:

I don't think its ever good to think with limitations so I disagree that her progress isn't attainable for everyone I think it is for most. However, it is true that those with looser hair textures have an easier time retaining length, thats just a fact...... and she does appear from what I've seen of her lovely hair to have a predominently looser texture. It's not good or bad, its just an observation.

I feel like I'm in an alternate universe, all thru growing up all the girls would be like yea I got x,y, and z in my family and claim soft curly hair now if you state you observe someone has curly hair they go on the defense? Is this the twilight zone? lol:lachen:

It was funny! BTW Did you get a chance to see her response vid? I thought it was cool that she took time out to share with us. I posted it in post #1 as she answers a lot of our questions. I wish I had it in the beginning but it was in response to our whole thread. I guess she got the heads up and responded after reading it, which I thought was really cool.

WHOA! Love that response. Gull got fiyah! :lachen: And I totally agree with her. :yep: nocurves81, clearly has a defeatest attitude and wants to bring everyone else along for the ride. Misery loves company I guess.

Totally agree. I think it's important for us to rise above that attitude so it was great that she just squashed it. She realized that the other lady was going to think what she was going to anyways and moved on. :yep: Let those who believe they can do, and those that don't...well:rolleyes: let's hope they change their own minds because we can't do it for 'em.

It was funny! BTW Did you get a chance to see her response vid? I thought it was cool that she took time out to share with us. I posted it in post #1 as she answers a lot of our questions. I wish I had it in the beginning but it was in response to our whole thread. I guess she got the heads up and responded after reading it, which I thought was really cool.
She seems so lovely, poised and educated I thought it was really sweet of her to respond too:yep: you got a shout out luckiest!! :clapping:

Yeap I saw it and she really did address everything that was in here that was very considerate of her. It was definitely a lesson in LHCF culture for me rotfl:rolleyes:

She seems so lovely, poised and educated I thought it was really sweet of her to respond too:yep: you got a shout out luckiest!! :clapping:

Yeap I saw it and she really did address everything that was in here that was very considerate of her. It was definitely a lesson in LHCF culture for me rotfl:rolleyes:

Yeah I thought that was nice of her (shout out).:grin: I also thought it was cool that she broke down a lot of stuff like I was trying to understand how long the dc was 15 or 50 and she clarified that and other stuff.

I also thought it's INSANE (in a cool way) how our post got over to youtube so fast. It's funny how fast information travels and things that we say do get back to others.

:lol:That was a funny exchange and I think both of them have valid points:yep:

I don't think its ever good to think with limitations so I disagree with nocurves81 that her progress isn't attainable for everyone I think it is for most. However, it is true that those with looser hair textures have an easier time retaining length, thats just a fact...... and she does appear from what I've seen of her lovely hair to have a predominently looser texture. It's not good or bad, its just an observation.

I feel like I'm in an alternate universe, all thru growing up all the girls would be like yea I got x,y, and z in my family and claim soft curly hair now if you state you observe someone has curly hair they go on the defense? Is this the twilight zone? lol:lachen:

To the bolded, I don't agree. I have a looser texture and I couldn't get my hair past shoulder length for a long time, until I learned what my hair needed to get me past it. I also understand why people would think she has mainly 3 texture hair. She keeps her hair straight 30 days out of the month and when she wets it, it will have a looser curl. With heavy conditioner, soaking wet hair and add that to the straight hair it will hang like 2c. Until it starts shrinking. If you look at her washing video her hair was past the camera's view but by the end it shrunk to her ends within view. I say she's a 4a maybe some 3's mixed in but mainly 4's that has been heat altered.

You're not in the Twilight Zone, things are changing. I think nowadays when you accuse a Black woman of having white or anything non-black in their family tree to be able to obtain beauty we don't like it. (Even if we are mixed.) Many of us are embracing the beauty of Blackness. You don't have to have a Native American grandmother to have long hair. Maybe that light skinned Great-Aunt with long hair was in fact a light skinned Black woman with long hair.

Notice all the, "are you mixed" questions on the Black women's videos with long hair on Youtube? Because of the myth that 4 type hair can't grow to long lengths there is a defensiveness when someone with 4 type hair does grow long hair and someone is saying oh no you are a 3 type. Which many people view 3 type hair as the mixed people's "good" hair. 4 type hair is considered to be the hair type of Black people. I'm starting to notice that some of you 4's resent the 3's. And 3's are la dee daa look at me 3's. :spinning:

I was re watching the response video to lhcf so that I could get some more info to tweak my regime (that I posted also in post 1) and I decided to rewatch the progression video (also in post 1) as it's just so cool. Anyways I was reading some of the responses to the video on youtube and I was cracking up. Here's one that had me hysterical. I really think she has a funny sense of humor:

nocurves81 (15 hours ago)
No offense, but you don't exactly have typical hair. Your curl pattern is obviously looser than most and therefore less prone to breakage. You hair is beautiful but that's not attainable for all naturals.

Longhairdontcare2011
I see you watched 1 vid and not 13. With that mentality, I hope you enjoy short hair because that's what you'll have for a long time to come. Ty for visiting
OMG!!! I love it!! I'm so glad I subscribed to her. thanks LD for this thread!!!!!

When I saw her progression video, I knew she was 4s after looking at her puff. She reminds me of Pinkskates who's hair has been altered by heat. A lot of women on this board could get to length like hers by doing less to their hair. By only washing once a month, she's not manipulating her hair very much. Maybe what we can take away from her videos esp. women with 4s hair is forget the co-wash every 3 days, or the expensive hair tonics and regimes, all one needs to do is to manipulate the hair less.

To the bolded, I don't agree. I have a looser texture and I couldn't get my hair past shoulder length for a long time, until I learned what my hair needed to get me past it.
I see what you mean thats a fair point.

I also understand why people would think she has mainly 3 texture hair. She keeps her hair straight 30 days out of the month and when she wets it, it will have a looser curl. With heavy conditioner, soaking wet hair and add that to the straight hair it will hang like 2c. Until it starts shrinking. If you look at her washing video her hair was past the camera's view but by the end it shrunk to her ends within view. I say she's a 4a maybe some 3's mixed in but mainly 4's that has been heat altered.
Thats a possibility I was a straightened natural for years there now the bottom half of my strands look like a tight 3c texture that could be whats happening with her but to me it seems like the consistent curl pattern from root to end but I could be wrong.

You're not in the Twilight Zone, things are changing. I think nowadays when you accuse a Black woman of having white or anything non-black in their family tree to be able to obtain beauty we don't like it. (Even if we are mixed.) Many of us are embracing the beauty of Blackness. You don't have to have a Native American grandmother to have long hair. Maybe that light skinned Great-Aunt with long hair was in fact a light skinned Black woman with long hair.

Notice all the, "are you mixed" questions on the Black women's videos with long hair on Youtube?
Yea its not just on youtube I got that in real life just by virtue of having long hair its as if they want an easy explanation for the length and health that would justify their hair complexes. I'm always quick to say nope my hair is coily kinky and natural! And thats usually when I get the really? and I can grab their attention and drop some fundamentals on em:grin:

This assumption is one of the main reasons I decided to rock my coils out more regularly this year because I wanted to show them that the most tightly coily hair can be versatile fly and better then good, it can be great!:yep: us type 4s sure didn't hear that much from society growing up.

Because of the myth that 4 type hair can't grow to long lengths there is a defensiveness when someone with 4 type hair does grow long hair and someone is saying oh no you are a 3 type. Which many people view 3 type hair as the mixed people's "good" hair. 4 type hair is considered to be the hair type of Black people.
Just to be clear, I wasn't asking or implying that she was mixed I just said I thought she was in the 3 range just a neutral observation, nothing further then that.....man this is gonna take some getting used to I think I'm starting to understand lol

I'm starting to notice that some of you 4's resent the 3's. And 3's are la dee daa look at me 3's. :spinning:
Some of you 4s? I don't think that's constructive language. I think we rise or we fall together.

If I came off as if I resented the ladies with curly hair I don't, I was just trying to correct a misrepresentation of a hair type so another young lady like me with tightly coily non silky dry type 4 hair doesnt try to do a slicked down puff like she did and end up dissapointed with her hair because it doesnt slick down like that or it doesnt make large ringlets naturally like that. I'm always looking to spare women going on their natural journey the pitfalls and blows to the psyche I and many others have faced.

When someone identifies their hair type and texture, I think its powerful. If you know you have silky 3a hair and you do all kinds of gelled down wavy looks or get the look in my straw set pic naturally but you call yourself cottony 4b, some 4b textured girl will look at that try it and end up dissapointed and frustrated because her hair can't even come close to doing that and feel her hair isn't pretty. People look to hair typing for a general (not perfect) but general idea of the possibilities for their hair and misrepresenting it, weather it was intentional or not can actually have unforeseen negative repercussions on some other young lady.

I come from that perspective because I've been through it.

Last edited:
When I saw her progression video, I knew she was 4s after looking at her puff. She reminds me of Pinkskates who's hair has been altered by heat. A lot of women on this board could get to length like hers by doing less to their hair. By only washing once a month, she's not manipulating her hair very much. Maybe what we can take away from her videos esp. women with 4s hair is forget the co-wash every 3 days, or the expensive hair tonics and regimes, all one needs to do is to manipulate the hair less.

I agree she has a very low maintenance regimen. I know that when I used to wash my hair 1x a month I had alot of hair but it was funky as all get out. I also had allergies that I don't have now since I wash my hair several times a week. My hair was dirty, I WAS ALLERGIC TO MYSELF! I do agree with her about adding moisture when your hair is dry and washing when it's dirty. I also add heavy products to my hair and now that I've heard her regimen I'm questioning whether I actually need to add all this stuff to my hair. I think it's time to review my regimen.

I agree she has a very low maintenance regimen. I know that when I used to wash my hair 1x a month I had alot of hair but it was funky as all get out. I also had allergies that I don't have now since I wash my hair several times a week. My hair was dirty, I WAS ALLERGIC TO MYSELF! I do agree with her about adding moisture when your hair is dry and washing when it's dirty. I also add heavy products to my hair and now that I've heard her regimen I'm questioning whether I actually need to add all this stuff to my hair. I think it's time to review my regimen.
TOTALLY agree with yall:clapping: on my natural hair journey the biggest lesson i've learned is low manipulation is the way to go:yep: so glad I'm lettin my hair chill in these braids for a month co-washing twice a week trying to DC as much as possible....its a good look:cool:

I agree being a fitness instructor I have to wash every 7 to 10 days or my hair would be funky. My low mani regime is to detangle with a comb every 4 to 6 weeks. I started that January of 2008 and that helped me get to midback length.

TOTALLY agree with yall:clapping: on my natural hair journey the biggest lesson i've learned is low manipulation is the way to go:yep: so glad I'm lettin my hair chill in these braids for a month co-washing twice a week trying to DC as much as possible....its a good look:cool:

Hi BMP
I like the pixie twists but only get them once a year because I have too many grays. It's not worth having if you have to take them down after 3 weeks. I haven't done that style in a year but after seeing yours, I'm calling my braider tomorrow morning.

I agree being a fitness instructor I have to wash every 7 to 10 days or my hair would be funky. My low mani regime is to detangle with a comb every 4 to 6 weeks. I started that January of 2008 and that helped me get to midback length.

How do you keep your hair detangled if you only detangle once a month? :spinning: I mainly keep my hair in twists and I'm constantly taking them down to wash my hair. If I wash in twists my hair will tangle and knot.

Can you please share you regimen?

Hi BMP
I like the pixie twists but only get them once a year because I have too many grays. It's not worth having if you have to take them down after 3 weeks. I haven't done that style in a year but after seeing yours, I'm calling my braider tomorrow morning.
Hey lauren! :hiya2: well thanks so much I'm like the national ambassador for pixie braids now:giggle: but its just the no-manipulation style my hair craved I think we could all benefit from not manipulating for a long while.

Once I take these down the next regimen I might start on is braid-outs where i only detangle like once every three weeks. I'll do an initial braid-out, then re-braid for washing at the end of each week allow to dry then braid out again.

Either that or I'll do my self installed senegalese twist extensions again those REALLY help me achieve nice growth:yep:

Keeping the manipulation as low as it can go totally works!!

Thanks so much for posting the link OP. I'm truly in awe of her hairl. I know my hair could never be that thick, but I can't wait for the length. I hope others noticed that she's been doing this for a loonngg time. I say that because sometimes when we first start our journey we expect immediate results that are unrealistic. I needed to see this! I'm excited for what's about to come..

amazing hair very thick and fluffy!

her hair seems to be a 4a/b in my opinion, she doesnt have much of a curl pattern like a 4b.....if she were a 3c her hair when wet would be very defined curls.

I was wondering about this when I saw her wet hair video. I just assumed that her texture was heat straightened since it was still so straight while wet with conditioner or I wondered if she just has a really loose 4a texture. idk. I'm all 4a and my hair has really defined curls wet with conditioner. All in all, I'd say she has type GORGEOUS hair! :)

How do you keep your hair detangled if you only detangle once a month? :spinning: I mainly keep my hair in twists and I'm constantly taking them down to wash my hair. If I wash in twists my hair will tangle and knot.

Can you please share you regimen?

I wash my hair in sections with any shampoo or conditioner I get on sale with a coupon. I deep condition when I detangle with a comb every 4 to 6 weeks. I part my hair with a comb and detangle each section with my fingers to take out the shedded hair, then I do a two strand twist. I twist my hair with hair butters I buy at the BSS. The brand will vary from time to time. I'm not a product junkie because I don't believe products grow long hair or really make a difference. I wear twists for 8 to 12 hours and wear twist-outs until my next wash. When I detangle with a comb, I prepare a condish of cheap Sauve conditioner and with coconut oil. I wash in section and I detangle in smaller section with the condish and it usually takes me 45 minutes to an hour to detangle. At the end of the session, I usually have a large hair ball. It doesn't bother me to have that much hair in my hand because I know that's the amount of hair I would have had if I had detangled through the month. I have seen a lot of hair growth with this method and it has taken me from bra strap to mid back in less than a year. The only thing I do to my hair mid week, I use the HairMax laser comb for hair loss. I have a thyroid condition that causes my crown to thin and the laser comb has stopped that hair loss. I don't tie up my hair or use a satin pillowcase, I guess it doesn't bother my hair at all. I bought a blowdrier today :clapping: because I'm going to try a blowout twist out this week-end. I haven't straighten my hair since 1997 when it fell out because I went to the Egyptian hair shop in Chi town. My hair can't take heat very well.

I wash my hair in sections with any shampoo or conditioner I get on sale with a coupon. I deep condition when I detangle with a comb every 4 to 6 weeks. I part my hair with a comb and detangle each section with my fingers to take out the shedded hair, then I do a two strand twist. I twist my hair with hair butters I buy at the BSS. The brand will vary from time to time. I'm not a product junkie because I don't believe products grow long hair or really make a difference. I wear twists for 8 to 12 hours and wear twist-outs until my next wash. When I detangle with a comb, I prepare a condish of cheap Sauve conditioner and with coconut oil. I wash in section and I detangle in smaller section with the condish and it usually takes me 45 minutes to an hour to detangle. At the end of the session, I usually have a large hair ball. It doesn't bother me to have that much hair in my hand because I know that's the amount of hair I would have had if I had detangled through the month. I have seen a lot of hair growth with this method and it has taken me from bra strap to mid back in less than a year. The only thing I do to my hair mid week, I use the HairMax laser comb for hair loss. I have a thyroid condition that causes my crown to thin and the laser comb has stopped that hair loss. I don't tie up my hair or use a satin pillowcase, I guess it doesn't bother my hair at all. I bought a blowdrier today :clapping: because I'm going to try a blowout twist out this week-end. I haven't straighten my hair since 1997 when it fell out because I went to the Egyptian hair shop in Chi town. My hair can't take heat very well.

Can you tell me more about the bold?

I don't *think* I have a thyroid condition. But my crown area is thinner than the rest of my hair and it gets sore/itchy even though the rest of my scalp doesn't.

How did the comb work for you?

Can you tell me more about the bold?

I don't *think* I have a thyroid condition. But my crown area is thinner than the rest of my hair and it gets sore/itchy even though the rest of my scalp doesn't.

How did the comb work for you?

I love it. I first heard about it about 6 years ago when Dateline NBC was doing a report on male pattern baldness. I didn't need it then but I remembered them saying that was one of the products that worked. You can google the report or go to Hairmax laser comb. I use it 3 days a week for 10 to 15 minutes, that's all you need to do. I can't say 100 percent what caused my hair to get longer overall, was it the laser or not detangling often i don't know. However, I know that the area near my crown is getting stronger and that's from the laser.

I noticed on her wet with conditioner video that she says that her hair is looser when it has conditioner in it. I am wondering if her hair behaves the way it does because she has finer strands.

I don't know why it is so far fetched for a 4a/b person to be able to do a slicked back ponytail. I do them all the time and althought I do have finer hair around the edges, I don't have any 3c. When I want my hair slick I just need to wet it a little and grab some gel - particularly ecostyler if I want if I want it to stay slicked down.

4 a/b can mimic every other hair types with the right techniques and products.

More black women would have hair like that if they'd fall back on the chems.

My bad, did i type that "out loud"??:look:

I love it. I first heard about it about 6 years ago when Dateline NBC was doing a report on male pattern baldness. I didn't need it then but I remembered them saying that was one of the products that worked. You can google the report or go to Hairmax laser comb. I use it 3 days a week for 10 to 15 minutes, that's all you need to do. I can't say 100 percent what caused my hair to get longer overall, was it the laser or not detangling often i don't know. However, I know that the area near my crown is getting stronger and that's from the laser.

Thanks for answering! I'm just worried about my crown area. It's thin...it doesn't seem like it's getting thinner but I can tell it's definitely sparse. I don't know if it's too much manipulation of that area, but I've cut back on that as well.

I guess I'll be saving up for that comb.

More black women would have hair like that if they'd fall back on the chems.

My bad, did i type that "out loud"??:look:

Or if they just knew more about how to care for their hair in whatever state, period.

On another note, I don't think everyone can get away with her kind of reggie just because her hair thrives with an ultra low-mani reggie. Many people couldn't do once a month direct heat and a once a month wash, even though her hair loves it. If doing X every 4 days a week is imperative to your reggie, then it just is.

As for the hair type debate...:perplexed. Well, she said herself that her hair is heat stretched and that the new growth is not like the rest of the hair. Thus, her growth can't be credited to a (predominately) looser texture. Since we have the truth from her very mouth, I was a tad confused as to why hair type was still being doubted even after the video was posted. I think it's fair to assume that she knows her hair type and where she falls in that system better than people on this board or folks on youtube.

Wow. Are you serious?

That's sooo exciting! Isn't it amazing how one person, even one that you don't know can be so inspirational that it inspires you. I'm not necessarily talking about natural or relaxed being better. Just that something inspired you on this level. How wonderful!

LOL.. LOL.. oh, no.. I just realized that you thought I probably meant that she made me want to go natural.. LOL.. no, I was saying that watching that video made me even more happier about my decision to transition.. :lol:

Back