Your Friendship With Your Husband

i was listening to ted radio hour a while back and the guest was essentially arguing we are asking too much of our partner when we expect them to be our best friend. she also mentioned how we treat & hurt our partners in ways that we would never treat a best friend. it was really interesting.

i, personally, neither need nor want my partner to be my best friend.

Yeah we're homies. Sometimes we're mad at each other and the intimacy between us gets thrown off a bit, but we can still hang out and joke with each other while we're working on getting back on track. He is my best friend, but that kind of just is - it wasn't an expectation or a need, it just happened that way. We like talking to each other and hanging out together. Not always in a romantic way.

Interesting post....I thought I was marrying who would eventually become my best friend...but I never developed that other type of chemistry with him. In hindsight I now know that is something I have to have. Because if we are not best friends then those positions are being played by someone else. That's sad to me. I want to make love to my best friend...because for me it's a trust factor.

Yeah we're homies. Sometimes we're mad at each other and the intimacy between us gets thrown off a bit, but we can still hang out and joke with each other while we're working on getting back on track. He is my best friend, but that kind of just is - it wasn't an expectation or a need, it just happened that way. We like talking to each other and hanging out together. Not always in a romantic way.

I like that.

I like the topic of this thread. I've always liked hearing different women's experiences and definitions of what equates being friends in their romantic relationships.

I've never had a strong opinion about the friendship that some people have. Depends on the couple and the marriage. The way some women are friends with their husbands wouldnt work for others. For some couples being BFFs seems to hold them together, for others BFFs created boundary conflicts that eventually tore them apart. To each her own. whatever works.

@ChasingBliss whats the epiphany?

Yes he is my bestfriend. When I did not have that in a romantic relationship it caused unrealistic expectations. With my DH, he is not a mushy guy but he is extremely attentive to my wants and needs. My view of love evolved into a mature, stable kind of love that is build on the foundation of values and friendship. Our mental connection ignited the emotional.

i was listening to ted radio hour a while back and the guest was essentially arguing we are asking too much of our partner when we expect them to be our best friend. she also mentioned how we treat & hurt our partners in ways that we would never treat a best friend. it was really interesting.

i, personally, neither need nor want my partner to be my best friend.

I'm not asking about being "a best friend" although...if that works I'm happy. But I'm just talking about genuine comfortable friendship. Some dont even have that. But the man may have most other important aspects of the marriage to a T.
Interesting post....I thought I was marrying who would eventually become my best friend...but I never developed that other type of chemistry with him. In hindsight I now know that is something I have to have. Because if we are not best friends then those positions are being played by someone else. That's sad to me. I want to make love to my best friend...because for me it's a trust factor.
I am with you Elizablue.
Yes he is my bestfriend. When I did not have that in a romantic relationship it caused unrealistic expectations. With my DH, he is not a mushy guy but he is extremely attentive to my wants and needs. My view of love evolved into a mature, stable kind of love that is build on the foundation of values and friendship. Our mental connection ignited the emotional.
Tinkat I didnt even know you got married. Congrats on everything! Your type of relationship is what I have been used to when dealing with lt relationships. I am trying to now wrap my head around another type of relationship. There is no emotional fulfillment whatsoever, but the priorities for taking care of business and having a future where there is no lack, is strong. Good on paper, but feels like crap. ....sadly.

I'm not married, but I HOPE to have my DH as a close friend... Not in a way I'd expect from a woman, but a good friend. My last real relationship where my SO and I lived together, I can unequivocally say he was my best friend and I was his. It's the one thing I miss about him, I felt like I was torn from my friend. I need to be able to talk, laugh, relate to, listen, rely on my partner. That is the best thing I got from that relationship and I will expect it in a marriage. Even when we'd be around other couples, when they look at us they could tell that outside of being boyfriend/girlfriend -- they are friends, they genuinely like each other as friends. Looking back though, and even now I only miss him as a friend, not as a lover. He doesn't feel the same, but I do. I hope to view my future DH as a friend as well but also have the balance of friend/lover. It can't be one or the other.

I like this topic. So much more I'd want to write about how you view your SO/DH, if only we had an incog button lol.

I like the topic of this thread. I've always liked hearing different women's experiences and definitions of what equates being friends in their romantic relationships.

I've never had a strong opinion about the friendship that some people have. Depends on the couple and the marriage. The way some women are friends with their husbands wouldnt work for others. For some couples being BFFs seems to hold them together, for others BFFs created boundary conflicts that eventually tore them apart. To each her own. whatever works.

@ChasingBliss whats the epiphany?

@barbiesocialite please explain... I'm interested in hearing.

The happiest couples that I respect the most around me always say this.

If I congratulate on the length of the marriage/preceding relationship they say "well I don't know anything else. I can't imagine life without them, they are my best friend".

I like it.

I know someone miserable who has said this about their partner. I guess it can mean different things? Like desperation?

My husband and I started off as friends first and have kept that throughout our marriage so far. I've often felt like we are not a real husband and wife because of the way we interact. Our dynamic is not what I imagine a "normal" marriage to look like, lol. I kind of go back and forth as to whether he is my best friend, but he is definitely up there.

@barbiesocialite please explain... I'm interested in hearing.

Some people dont really have strong friendships to begin with and have always lacked in that area so what drove them to get married in the first place was the fact theyd finally found a best friend. First person they ever really got close to and first person who totally "gets" them. So once they get married they literally begin to share ethe exact same life. Either they dont really have outside friends or share the same couples as mutual friends, mutually share a lot of the same hobbies and over time happily become less like individuals and more like the same person. They do any and everything together. Without each other, they pretty much cease to exist. For these folks it works. One hand washes the other.

At the same time I can think of a few couples where being BFF eventually became a problem. There is such a thing as being too comfortable.. Despite being married some couples really live and act like homies instead of husband and wife. There are no boundaries. No boudnaries eventually created unnecessary drama and loss of respect. Everything isnt for everyone. Some stuff is reserved for your marriage, other things reserved for friends. The perfect example: Russell Simmons and Kimora. They were straight up best friends from the beginning. After a while I guess it got old and stopped being fun when Kimora starting wanted to be treated more like his wife instead of his homie. But that's not the relatinoship they had. You can fix things that are broken or lost. Cant fix something that was never there to begin. Kimora was married but wanted to be a wife to a husband. Russell was her best friend. Theyre still best friends, theyre just no longer married. Fran Dresscher and her ex husband of 3 decades are another example. Being best friends became troublesome during and after their marriage. Again, still BFFs just no longer married.

Last edited:
I've read a lot of Alison Armstrong who wrote the queen's code and a few other books (see the other threads in this forum) anyway she has this theory on relationship models that speaks to this topic. See below, but bottom line not everyone is looking for the same thing in marriage, and marriages that are based on different theories can be equally successful.

This is the first in a series of Celebrating Men Morsels about Relationship Models.

Each of us has a clear idea of what the main purpose of a long-term relationship should be. In other words, what the priority of the relationship should be, which becomes the organizing principle. Usually this core purpose, which is clear to us, is unexamined and unarticulated. This is why it can cause a lot of misunderstandings, hurt feelings and persistent, unresolved conflicts.

We call these core purposes “Relationship Models.” The mischief they cause stems from how invisible they are – they just seem like the “right way” to be related. Our model seems so correct to us that we, even, don’t understand how or why a couple stays together when they don’t conform to our model. The most conflict will occur when our chosen partner has a different model.

Here are examples of Relationship Models:

• The Legacy Model. This is the one we inherited from our ancestors. The focus is usually on the children; making sure they succeed even more than their parents. In the absence of children, there may be another type of legacy that becomes the priority, such as wealth, power, contribution, etc.
  • The Companionship Model. For this model, being together and “doing life together,” is the main priority. In selecting a mate, getting along easily and many common interests are firsts on the list. Variations on the Companionship Model would include “Share Adventure” and “Share Hobbies.”
  • The Support Model. This type of relationship is organized around providing what each other needs to accomplish personal goals or dreams. They don’t expect to “work on” the relationship much; they expect the relationship to support them in what they are working on in life outside the relationship.
  • The Karma Model. The purpose of this relationship is to cause maximum personal growth. Partners will be chosen by how much they challenge each other to expand their physical, emotional, conceptual or spiritual worlds.
Since our Relationship Model just seems like the correct way to be related, we are often baffled by couples that don’t conform to our model. For example:
  • Companionship Model folks can’t understand why a Legacy couple stays together when they don’t seem to share a lot of common interests or spend much time together. They also wonder why Support Model couples, who clearly like each other, keep choosing to be apart. To them, no goal is worth being apart for long.
  • Legacy Model folks can’t understand why other people bother to get married if they aren’t going to have children.
  • Support Model folks wonder why Karma Model couples would choose such difficult people to partner with. To them, the relationship requiring minimal attention is a priority to have it support them individually.
  • To Karma Model folks, other easy-going relationships seem unbearably boring.
In each case, our model seems so right, that we can’t really relate to or understand men and women with different priorities. And when asked for advice, we can only provide it from the priorities which seem obvious to us. This is another good reason to only ask for advice from people who actually have what you want!
“Easy” relationships occur when both partners have the same model and are working toward the same kind of relationship. This is usually accidental, since most people aren’t aware they have a model and often don’t articulate their relationship priorities well.

When our partner does not have the same relationship model, we are often frustrated because our choices will be made according to our core value – and their choices will be made according to theirs. For example:

• If a Legacy Model (LM) or a Support Model (SM) marries a Companionship Model (CM), the CM will feel hurt every time the LM or SM chooses to work on what they are building or pursuing, rather than spend time with the CM. And the LM or SM won’t understand why they are hurt, since to them, the Legacy or dream is clearly the priority and why can’t the CM see that?
  • Even when two people share the Support Model, conflict can happen because both expect to be the one supported by the other. So they agree in principle – partners should empower their mates in fulfilling their dreams – but they didn’t state which end they intended to be on. Support models work best when one person’s desire is to provide the support the other needs and fully appreciates.
  • If a Karma Model (KM) gets together with a Companion Model (CM), let’s say of the Share Adventure variety, then here is a predictable argument...KM: “We have an issue here. We need to talk about it.” CM/SA: “Why do we have to talk about everything? Why can’t we just enjoy each other’s company and have fun?”
As you can see, the problem is the unarticulated expectations. Because our models seem correct and are obvious truths to us, we don’t take the time to really spell out what we need and desire in our relationship. By understanding what your Relationship Model is, you can avoid heartache and frustration in choosing a mate. If you’re already committed, use the Models to understand each other, and realize the choices you’ve each made were not meant to thwart or hurt the other. Search for middle ground and ways to give you both more of what you need.
Since publishing this series on Relationship Models, we have received a few frantic inquiries: “We don’t have the same model. Are we doomed?” Not necessarily! The key is understanding that a person’s Relationship Model is a reflection of their core values, an expression of what is most important to them in life. It could be what they leave behind (Legacy Model), “doing life” with someone (Companion Model), fulfilling a dream or a mission (Support Model), or being challenged to grow and expand (Karma Model).

Unfortunately, our core values are the only ones that immediately appear completely valid. When others’ differ, they seem everything from interesting to annoying. The real challenge is to grant as much weight to what is important to others, even when we don’t agree. This is a skill that improves all relationships!

If you’re attacking the validity of what is important to another, they have no choice but to defend themselves. Not a good environment for creative compromise. But if you’re not attacking, if instead, you’re protecting their interests too, then miracles can happen. This kind of conversation between a Support Model and a Companion Model might look like, “I see that what’s most important to you is us being together. I like that. What’s most important to me is having the support I need to fulfill my dream. Even though I love being with you, that sacrifice for my goal is one I have to make. Maybe we could meet in the middle – there might be an amount of time together that would be enough for you; not ideal, but enough. And an amount of freedom to pursue my goals that would be enough for me too. Wanna try?”

The key word here is “enough.” If you pay attention to “enough” instead of the “ideal amount,” it’s possible to meet in the middle. Of course, “enough” may be unreachable for you or your partner, in which case the loving thing to do might be to release yourselves to find what you really need and cannot provide each other

http://www.understandmen.com/morsels/morsels4.html

Do you feel you have a genuine close friendship with your husband or is he just ....well....your husband? Are we supposed to have this bond or can one live without it in a marriage?

I feel another epiphany coming and it may do some damage.
My husband and I are genuine friends. Outside of my love for him as my husband, I actually like the man. We can hang out, talk about anything, talk sh!t, confide in each other, talk business etc. I feel that helps the marriage as well.

I know some of my married friends who love their spouses but don't really like the person. If their marriage didn't work out, they'd probably despise the ex spouse.

I want to be really good friends with my spouse but idk about best friends for me.

I have a best friend. Thats her title already. She serves her purpose and plays her role perfectly. She's already married but were both committed to being best friends. No vacancy. Dont need another one.

If I don't consider you a friend I won't *** with you period. I dont like you. I dont trust you. I wont talk to you. Blood or otherwise. My brother isn't my friend, I don't talk to him and havent *** with him in years even though I see him almost everyday. There's nothing there. if we never become friends we'll simply never talk or have a relationship to start or fix. Hes still my brother nonethless. But since hes not my friend, I don't know that ninja or care to. *ye shrug*

Now what I don't have is a husband. That I will eventually need. When I find my perfect mate he'll naturally be my friend but the only title and position I need him to play is what he is: my husband.

My husband and I are genuine friends. Outside of my love for him as my husband, I actually like the man. We can hang out, talk about anything, talk sh!t, confide in each other, talk business etc. I feel that helps the marriage as well.

I know some of my married friends who love their spouses but don't really like the person. If their marriage didn't work out, they'd probably despise the ex spouse.

Yes yes. and yes a thousand times. What you don't like in a partner will become magnified when the relationship ends. I think because you tolerate, compromise and barter your true feelings for a pay off in the end. When that doesn't happen resentment becomes magnified and this is why people will say "I don't know what I was thinking" and "I cannot believe I dated that fool"...then those characteristics become what is affectionately known as baggage for any subsequent relationships.

I know for me it has. If I meet a man and I even think he doesn't keep an orderly home and is a slob...I feel an aversion come on like never before I don't care how attracted I may be to him. Now I got baggage ya'll.

I want to be really good friends with my spouse but idk about best friends for me.

I have a best friend. Thats her title already. She serves her purpose and plays her role perfectly. She's already married but were both committed to being best friends. No vacancy. Dont need another one.

If I don't consider you a friend I won't *** with you period. I dont like you. I dont trust you. I wont talk to you. Blood or otherwise. My brother isn't my friend, I don't talk to him and havent *** with him in years even though I see him almost everyday. There's nothing there. if we never become friends we'll simply never talk or have a relationship to start or fix. Hes still my brother nonethless. But since hes not my friend, I don't know that ninja or care to. *ye shrug*

Now what I don't have is a husband. That I will eventually need. When I find my perfect mate he'll naturally be my friend but the only title and position I need him to play is what he is: my husband.

Ok my definition of best friend is that person is the first to hear, know find out anything good or bad. That's who I call when I feel happy, sad, or any emotion on the spectrum of "ooohhhh I gotta tell this" (sorry LHCF that's not you...lol) So @barbiesocialite who would you relegate that to be. Your girlfriend or your husband?

Because as a spouse I'm going to feel some type of way if Larry and nem know you got promoted, fired, won the lottery before I do. I would never want my husband to be in the position of the last to know or even the second to know. For me...I need to be able to share that with the person who will be most affected by anything happening in my life...because that's who my life ultimately will affect.

On a personal note, when I am debating a decision...it has to be among our trinity. Me, my spouse and God.

Ok my definition of best friend is that person is the first to hear, know find out anything good or bad. That's who I call when I feel happy, sad, or any emotion on the spectrum of "ooohhhh I gotta tell this" (sorry LHCF that's not you...lol) So @barbiesocialite who would you relegate that to be. Your girlfriend or your husband?

Because as a spouse I'm going to feel some type of way if Larry and nem know you got promoted, fired, won the lottery before I do. I would never want my husband to be in the position of the last to know or even the second to know. For me...I need to be able to share that with the person who will be most affected by anything happening in my life...because that's who my life ultimately will affect.

On a personal note, when I am debating a decision...it has to be among our trinity. Me, my spouse and God.

I believe In prioritizing and compartmentalizng my interpersonal relationships as a rule. There is a hierarchy that always clear and established no matter time, place or circumstance. #5 will never trump or come before #3. Ever. Guarantee

My loved ones know where they stand and would never challenge their position against their set order unless they want their feelings hurt.

Ive been old school since my first boyfriend. When there's I'm in a relationship everyone knows they're getting demoted automatically. Its a given. And the order is:

1. ME
  2. MY MAN
  3. MY MAMA
  4. MY BEST FRIEND
  5. MY GRANDMA
  6. EVERYONE ELSE
Even my mother knows II'll pick my man over her which is why she's never tried it. Same with my best friend. She even knows that if I'm having my mama issues the best way to get her friendship needs met is to do something nice involving my mama. For example, she wanted me to go to this nice golf tournament to introduce me to people but she knew I was having mama issues at the time. Her natural response was to buy tickets for me and request I bring my mother. If she didn't there was a high risk out plans would could Falk through. Like if there would have been a blow up between me. And mom the morning of, I would have bailed in her to stay home to nurse my mama wounds.

When Barbie is in a relationship, good or bad, here's the deal: *** YALL HEAUXS. I'm busy. If you want something the only way you'll get it is when I'm my man isn't around. If you call and I send you to the voicemail, calling back is pointless becaus I'm not choosing you over him. When I get engaged or pregnant the phone call orders will ALWAYS go as followed: him, mom, bff then everyone else. BFF is the same. If I know, I'm sure that her hubby knew first. Sometimes I feel jealous on the DL but I'd never show it. :lol:

I believe In prioritizing and compartmentalizng my interpersonal relationships as a rule. There is a hierarchy that always clear and established no matter time, place or circumstance. #5 will never trump or come before #3. Ever. Guarantee

My loved ones know where they stand and would never challenge their position against their set order unless they want their feelings hurt.

Ive been old school since my first boyfriend. When there's I'm in a relationship everyone knows they're getting demoted automatically. Its a given. And the order is:

1. ME
  2. MY MAN
  3. MY MAMA
  4. MY BEST FRIEND
  5. MY GRANDMA
  6. EVERYONE ELSE
Even my mother knows II'll pick my man over her which is why she's never tried it. Same with my best friend. She even knows that if I'm having my mama issues the best way to get her friendship needs met is to do something nice involving my mama. For example, she wanted me to go to this nice golf tournament to introduce me to people but she knew I was having mama issues at the time. Her natural response was to buy tickets for me and request I bring my mother. If she didn't there was a high risk out plans would could Falk through. Like if there would have been a blow up between me. And mom the morning of, I would have bailed in her to stay home to nurse my mama wounds.

When Barbie is in a relationship, good or bad, here's the deal: *** YALL HEAUXS. I'm busy. If you want something the only way you'll get it is when I'm my man isn't around. If you call and I send you to the voicemail, calling back is pointless becaus I'm not choosing you over him. When I get engaged or pregnant the phone call orders will ALWAYS go as followed: him, mom, bff then everyone else. BFF is the same. If I know, I'm sure that her hubby knew first. Sometimes I feel jealous on the DL but I'd never show it. :lol:

Ahhh...okay so we are in agreement then! Yes when not in a relationship I have a long standing BFF who has played that position since we were 12 or so. But once I got married I tried to put him in that position but it failed because he didn't trust me...and so I couldn't trust him. I'm like that.

But to the thread....I want and need my husband to play that position. Otherwise something is amiss.

The only issue with the best friend label is the lack of intimacy that can come with it if you're not careful. Meaning that you might be friends and compatible in every way but not romantically. It's different for everyone but some best friendships I have witnessed can erode the mystery in a marriage which in turn erodes how the man views you sexually/emotionally/romantically.

However, you cant have everything you want in a partner 100% so... what holds the most value? Yes some people get that 100% but for most that's not true and that's when maturity sets in.

I'm not asking about being "a best friend" although...if that works I'm happy. But I'm just talking about genuine comfortable friendship. Some dont even have that. But the man may have most other important aspects of the marriage to a T.

in that case yes i need to have a close friendship with my spouse. i can't imagine not having that with someone im in a serious relationship with. but my vote is no for ultimate besties.:lol:

you hit the nail on the head with this..this is the pov i align with moreso

this resonates with me...when i was dating i didn't do the friends first...the minute i see you as a friend i have compartmentalized who you are are and put you in a box, how i respond to you, how attracted i am to you and etc
the friends first thing is not my lane...i always want my man to view me as his wife or etc i like a very specific role

dh and i are friends...but i have a bff..i dont actually want my dh to be my bff....i don't ever want him to comfortable lol..always want that mystery present, that chase or etc...im funny like that like I remember one time early in our courtship i set him straight and said I'm not one of your friends or ya homie--im your lady and thats my lane so please act accordingly to that..he understood what i meant without taking it personal....and treats me as such

we have a great marriage..he is truly my partner in crime and we are great friends but the way i treat my friends and the way i treat my dh are two very diff lanes and vice versa..i dont ever wanna get to comfortable feeling like dh is my bff and i dont ever want him that comfortable as well...till this day we semi operate like we're dating...and i like it..it keeps things very interesting for us...dh is a man that kinda likes to hunt..very alpha so it works for us lol.;)

The only issue with the best friend label is the lack of intimacy that can come with it if you're not careful. Meaning that you might be friends and compatible in every way but not romantically. It's different for everyone but some best friendships I have witnessed can erode the mystery in a marriage which in turn erodes how the man views you sexually/emotionally/romantically.

However, you cant have everything you want in a partner 100% so... what holds the most value? Yes some people get that 100% but for most that's not true and that's when maturity sets in.

Back