Young Wives...what's it like?

lonei

Hi ladies, did anyone get married in their teens or early 20's to a man they had no children with 9at that time) and have never lived with before? If so how long have you been together/married and how different is it being a 'Young Wife' than being a partner who didn't live with him? Do you have children now, did it change things, if so how? Do you always look cute at home? Any tips/important info welcomed. Other married ladies thoughts are welcomed too, thanks....

God bless....

That's me. We've been married some years now. I don't ALWAYS look cute at home, but I'm better about that. There was a time there when I was looking too sloppy all the time. He never said anything but it didn't make ME feel good, so I am never sloppy anymore. Always presentable and often cute.
I will come back and add more later.

I haven't but I know someone who was married at 14. But I believe she was pregnant. She was married for 8 or 10 years the first time, they had 2 children and then divorced. She got married again very soon after and that marriage lasted another 8 years and she had one child from that marriage. Now 35 and a single mom, she's completely turned off at the thought of marriage, or moreso, she's loving the freedom of not having a man to 'take care of' so to speak. She was doing it all too, cooking, cleaning, sewing, and going to school and working and taking care of the kids and all. Right now she wouldn't have it any other way to do, go and come as she pleases because of living the majority of her young adult years being a wife.

Hi ladies, did anyone get married in their teens or early 20's to a man they had no children with 9at that time) and have never lived with before? If so how long have you been together/married and how different is it being a 'Young Wife' than being a partner who didn't live with him? Do you have children now, did it change things, if so how? Do you always look cute at home? Any tips/important info welcomed. Other married ladies thoughts are welcomed too, thanks....

God bless....

If so how long have you been together/married and how different is it being a 'Young Wife' than being a partner who didn't live with him?

I met my dh at 21, married him at 23. I didn't live with dh although he had a dd previous to me.

Do you have children now, did it change things, if so how?

We have two boys 1 and 5

Do you always look cute at home?

I'm pretty vain:rolleyes: so I'm probably not the right person to ask

Also getting married young, I have changed alot. I'm 32 now and I'm not the same person I was obviously when I married dh. He is 7 years older than me. Getting married younger, you need to both realize that hopefully each will change but for the better. Its great that you can 'grow together' with a person.

its really early so i will answer what i remember. i was married at 21. i have been married for going on 7yrs. still no kids.

it has been like most marriages i have witnessed. ups and downs. mostly ups, especially as of late. the 1st year was learning and adjusting. i was a spoiled pouter and he is just as stubborn.

it gets better, easier every year

do i always look cute.... yes, except for the silk rag on my head. but like missscarlett i am vain

I haven't but I know someone who was married at 14. But I believe she was pregnant. She was married for 8 or 10 years the first time, they had 2 children and then divorced. She got married again very soon after and that marriage lasted another 8 years and she had one child from that marriage. Now 35 and a single mom, she's completely turned off at the thought of marriage, or moreso, she's loving the freedom of not having a man to 'take care of' so to speak. She was doing it all too, cooking, cleaning, sewing, and going to school and working and taking care of the kids and all. Right now she wouldn't have it any other way to do, go and come as she pleases because of living the majority of her young adult years being a wife.

Wow, thats a lot to go through, i'm glad she's doing better now....

If so how long have you been together/married and how different is it being a 'Young Wife' than being a partner who didn't live with him?

Met him when I was 20 and we got married when I was 22. No living together before marriage. You gotta buy this cow, no milk for free.:grin:

No kids, and no plans for any soon. Being young , married, and childless has to be one of the best lifestyle choices possible, imho. Not trying to put anyone with kids down, I just feel that its the best of both worlds right now. All the benefits of a steady committed partner, with little to no hassle. I may eat my words when/if I have kids.:lachen:

Sometimes I do sometimes I dont.

God bless....

We got married at 23 with no kids and had never lived together. We've been married almost 5 years now and have 2 kids.:wallbash::lachen:

I enjoyed being a young wife. I was sick of dating and vowed not to again until I was engaged. He felt the same way, so we went into marriage knowing exactly what we wanted. There was no pressure and no pretense. There was a steep learning curve, though.

I think we were both still fairly immature. We were mature in other ways, like we had both been out on our own, working, going to school, paying bills, etc. But I was still spoiled and he wasn't used to taking care of someone else, so we had a few disasters.

I don't think living together first would have changed anything, though. I think marriage is a spiritual thing, so no matter how long you live together, there are going to be some things you just aren't privy to until you say "I do".

Kids have definitely changed us, but for the better. We are more giving and focused. We are bonded in a different way now.

Do I always look cute at home? No.:lachen:I don't look nasty or anything, but I definitely could look better. I can't even lie and say I'm working on it.:ohwell: I'm kind of scared to see what would happen if I did look cute around the house. I don't think he'd leave me alone.:kissing4:

The only tips I can think of are to go in with the knowledge that feelings will change sometimes, but making a marriage work is about making a concious effort to love your spouse. I also like what MissScarlett said about people changing. I think early 20's is still a time of discovery, so you may in fact become a different person when you hit 30. That's ok, you just have to be prepared for it. I'm finding out some good stuff about myself now that is totally different than how I felt 5 years ago.

Congratulations to, umm, anyone for whom that's appropriate.:peek2::lachen:

No kids, and no plans for any soon. Being young , married, and childless has to be one of the best lifestyle choices possible, imho. Not trying to put anyone with kids down, I just feel that its the best of both worlds right now. All the benefits of a steady committed partner, with little to no hassle. I may eat my words when/if I have kids.:lachen:

I feel you, trust me!:yep: I'm telling all my newly married friends this very same thing. I love my babies, of course, but I know how hard it can be.

I got married at 24 and have been married for a little over 2 years.We had never lived together and never had any kids.....still don't have any yet:ohwell:. I think that kids probably will change our marriage, for the better.

I believe I was ready to be married and it has been a huge learning experience:yep:. Marriage is a truly beautiful thing but, it definitely has its ups and downs.

I'm cute at home most days(dh says I'm vain) but sometimes I just don't feel like caring:look:.

Met him when I was 20 and we got married when I was 22. No living together before marriage. You gotta buy this cow, no milk for free.:grin:

The years before my boys came along...were pure bliss. I love my pumpkins but sometimes at night dh and I sit around and talk about 'remember when' :whyme:

Like I told a newlywed the other day who asked me about my vacation......I said uhhh when you're single, you take vacations. When you're married with kids, you take TRIPS:grin:with the kids...no vacation when you gotta get up at 7am with a baby and toddler "juice/milk/diapers":wallbash:

That milk and cow expression was super funny! wacky

That's how I kind of want it, I just want to be a 'Wife' for a while....

How long have you been married?

People that come by my house on my off days are like "where are you going?":grin:

Cause I have my hair done, cute clothes on, makeup on...I'm like I just like to get up and make myself feel good. When you look good you feel good, well that's my motto anyway.
When I work from home and I am in my PJs I dont get anything done. If I get up and put on an outfit and fix my hair up, it seems like I am more productive.

We got married at 23 with no kids and had never lived together. We've been married almost 5 years now and have 2 kids.:wallbash::lachen:

I enjoyed being a young wife. I was sick of dating and vowed not to again until I was engaged. He felt the same way, so we went into marriage knowing exactly what we wanted. There was no pressure and no pretense. There was a steep learning curve, though.

I think we were both still fairly immature. We were mature in other ways, like we had both been out on our own, working, going to school, paying bills, etc. But I was still spoiled and he wasn't used to taking care of someone else, so we had a few disasters.

I don't think living together first would have changed anything, though. I think marriage is a spiritual thing, so no matter how long you live together, there are going to be some things you just aren't privy to until you say "I do".

Kids have definitely changed us, but for the better. We are more giving and focused. We are bonded in a different way now.

Do I always look cute at home? No.:lachen:I don't look nasty or anything, but I definitely could look better. I can't even lie and say I'm working on it.:ohwell: I'm kind of scared to see what would happen if I did look cute around the house. I don't think he'd leave me alone.:kissing4:

The only tips I can think of are to go in with the knowledge that feelings will change sometimes, but making a marriage work is about making a concious effort to love your spouse. I also like what MissScarlett said about people changing. I think early 20's is still a time of discovery, so you may in fact become a different person when you hit 30. That's ok, you just have to be prepared for it. I'm finding out some good stuff about myself now that is totally different than how I felt 5 years ago.

Congratulations to, umm, anyone for whom that's appropriate.:peek2::lachen:

:lachen:

Thank you so much for such a detailed response...

Can you describe in what ways marriage feels spiritual? Does it feel that different than being in the realtionship with the same person beforehand?

:lachen:

Thank you so much for such a detailed response...

Can you describe in what ways marriage feels spiritual? Does it feel that different than being in the realtionship with the same person beforehand?

It did feel different for me. It's like something turned on. I loved him and respected him and all that beforehand, but after we were married, it's like things became more clear as far as who he was to me, who I was to him, how I was to honor him and build him up and take care of him. He said that everything he already felt for me just got stronger and he really felt his role and purpose and all that.

I think you can know those things with your head beforehand, but after, it's like you know in your soul and your spirit.

It did feel different for me. It's like something turned on. I loved him and respected him and all that beforehand, but after we were married, it's like things became more clear as far as who he was to me, who I was to him, how I was to honor him and build him up and take care of him. He said that everything he already felt for me just got stronger and he really felt his role and purpose and all that.

I think you can know those things with your head beforehand, but after, it's like you know in your soul and your spirit.

Wow, thats deep, thanks and god bless....

I met my husband when I was 22 married 3 weeks later and I'm still happily married to him 14+ years later. Admittedly it was a marriage of convinience initially (he needed his papers to stay in the country) the thing is we just clicked. I can't imagine not being with him but the thing is sometimes I feel if I did'nt marry young I would'nt have married at all.

We have 3 kids ages 13, 9, and 3+. I do try to make an effort to look dressed up around the home as I have a tendency to go for the lived in look sometimes but I have to make a conscious effort.

I forgot to say most of the time I put on whatever when I'm around the house. From DH's responses I must still look good. :grin: I make it a point to prance around the house no matter what I have on. Lol.

I knpw what you mean lauren its like you become one with that person, you know the purpose and meaning of love......its awesome.

This is wonderful.

Back