is being a man's WIFE being watered down? does it really MEAN ANYTHING?

I hate to say it, but ever since I've been engaged, I really feel that hierarchy. Even strangers view me differently. People's faces really light up when they see that you're getting married. I also feel differently than I thought I would. Before being engaged, I really thought that I would feel the same as I did as a girlfriend but it is way different. There are so many more perks and you feel respected in a whole new way.

It's only been one week for me, but I am also having this experience.

I'm just as cool and awesome :lol: as I was one week ago, but I swear, I'm getting a different reception.

And congrats! :D
Congrats to both of you!! :yep:

I'm not equating an engagment to marriage (that would be absurd), however, people DO treat you differently once they know that you have the intention of getting married. Whether it's one's personal philosophy or not, society as a whole has more "respect" for an engaged couple than say boyfriend/girlfriend.

Being engaged does make a difference:yep:. Especially if the couple is serious, setting a date (within 12 months), going to marriage counseling, planning, putting down payments on facilities and steadily moving forward. The engagement period let's the world now how serious you are about each other. It's a time of anticipation and happiness. I definitely felt different when I was engaged. I was engaged, not single anymore. And I know for a fact after I got married I was treated better than my single counterparts, it may not be fair, but it's true.

If being a wife wasn't the goal, women wouldn't ACT like they were shooting for it.

That's what's wrong with so many relationships now; women are putting in wife work for girlfriend or jumpoff benefits. OF COURSE they don't see the benefit; they're already doing the work and not getting it.

I'm late to this thread but after reading through it I feel like I agree with alot of the posters.

Marriage is different from being in a serious relationship, in terms of the level of legal committment and entanglement you have with another person, the emotional connection between two people, and how other people view the relationship. I personally believe it's better to be married when you're in a long term relationship or if you want children.

But marriage is not the end all and be all of life, even though as women we are often sold that bill of goods. And the more we value marriage over and above the actual quality of the relationship, the more men can get us twisted up in knots and accepting unacceptable behaviors and conditions behind chasing and keeping that ring.

A lot of women are very competitive about men and relationships and there does seem to be an obsession with marriage on this board and placing peoples relationships in some hierarchy. It's one thing to recognize that marriage is a desierable thing for alot of reasons, but sometimes it sounds like some women are after the stamp of approval from some man so they can up their status more then anything else.

Back