"you have dominican hair"

sofash

I was at the salon and my (dominican) stylist told me I have dominican hair..I had some lil indian girl say that to me when i was 14 too lol
this might be a dumb question but what in the world does that mean lol

have you ever been told you have ""____" hair?

wow maybe she means you have the same hair type as a lot of Dominicans. I wouldnt worry too much about it though, you have nice hair.

You know what they mean :look:

Its a non sequitur to me.

If they are trying to say is "good" it makes no sense. They don't own the market on desirable hair.

Its no different from other blacks.

I'm Dominican and I'm assuming she meant it was long and healthy maybe.

I've never been told I have the hair of a different race. I have been asked where I bought my weave LOL so maybe I gots that good Indian hair ahaha

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Dominican hair can range from type 1a to type 4c, so I guess you and everyone else on this board has Dominican hair. LOL

Yeah I can barely tell AA hair from Dominican hair. Only some got a slightly and when I say slight I mean very minimum looser curl pattern and some are the same. Now puerto rican hair is a big difference than most AA hair

Orrrrrrr.....her hair resembles or reminds them of the domincan heads of hair that they are familiar with.

Off topic...its funny where people are going with this. If the US could have a market in the hair extentions industry it would be called US hair but we can't say that because we have a full spectrum of hair types but India, Malaysia, Peru, and according to that stylist, Dominican Republic can. Even though curly is everywhere I think she can say OP has Domincan hair. Just my very humble opinion lol.

Last edited:
Lilmama1011 said:
Yeah I can barely tell AA hair from Dominican hair. Only some got a slightly and when I say slight I mean very minimum looser curl pattern and some are the same. Now puerto rican hair is a big difference than most AA hair

It depends. Puerto Ricans come in all colors too. My husband is Puerto Rican. He's pale with 4A hair.

i was always under the impression that domican hair and black hair were the same so it was like what, yall got differnt hair???. in my mind there are 2 types of hair ( not talkin bout the hair type chart) 1- white ppl hair and 2-black people hair

BostonMaria said:
It depends. Puerto Ricans come in all colors too. My husband is Puerto Rican. He's pale with 4A hair.

All colors of what? You talking bout hair right? Not skin color because every race has different shades. But I never saw a puerto rican with 4a hair, I guess you learn stuff everyday. Because I saw puerto rican range from 1a to 3c

You know what they mean :look:

Its a non sequitur to me.

If they are trying to say is "good" it makes no sense. They don't own the market on desirable hair.

Its no different from other blacks.
i had to go look up what no sequitur means. lol
i have never been told i have good hair cuz i dont believe in such.

Dominican is an ethnicity not a race, they come in all shades, races and everything in between same thing goes with their hair. I know for sure is was meant as a compliment and they were just saying you have "good" hair.

Lilmama1011 said:
All colors of what? You talking bout hair right? Not skin color because every race has different shades. But I never saw a puerto rican with 4a hair, I guess you learn stuff everyday. Because I saw puerto rican range from 1a to 3c

I didn't finish my sentence LOL Puerto Ricans come in all colors too. From white to black, 1a to 4c hair.

But anyway I usually stay clear of these types of threads.

Dunno. Longish type 2-3ish indicative of Afro-Taino and sometimes Euro ancestry? That's the stereotype. I think plenty of Dominicans have type 4 afro hair (and Puerto Ricans as well). The round brush method wouldn't work on most type 4 hair so this seems to mean it was developed for significant numbers of people with curly/wavy hair. Just a guess anyway.

Or maybe the stylist just meant your hair is in good condition ... like well cared for Dominican hair.

The last time I went to Republica de Dominicana there were various types of hair textures; however, the majority that I saw were of the 4 sector. It might have something to do with the location I was in. I was near Punta Cana (which I believe is closer to Haiti). But one of my friends peoples live in Santo Domingo and their hair is more like a 3c.

I think it's like the previous posts said Domincans, Blacks and even whites hair types/textures varies. I'm not too sure what your stylist was implying. Maybe your coarseness/nappyness/curls resemble her's :)

Last edited:
im a freakin 4a/4b crazy kinky, rarely curly. if im not straight out the shower.. .I was always under the impression type 3 was "good hair" i could be wrong.
i dont know what she is. she wears weaves alot and her other workers all have silky hair.

welli hope she meant good CONDITION and not good hair as if one is better than the other. cuz if that IS what she meant i wouldnt go back. its offensive to me when i hear stylist criticize black hair types. I just finished watcin a video about a AA girl going to a dominican salon for a relaxer and the guy that did it was bad mouthin kinky hair. made me sick

Im glad yall told me puerto ricans can have 4a hair cause Im part PR and I was wondering why I didnt have "good hair" lol. I wish I knew what my grandfather looked like so I can see his hair.

sckri23 said:
Im glad yall told me puerto ricans can have 4a hair cause Im part PR and I was wondering why I didnt have "good hair" lol. I wish I knew what my grandfather looked like so I can see his hair.

Exactly how I feel my grandfather is puerto rican but due to certain family issues I never saw him and my mom didn't see her father as well. And I always said why is my hair no different then a person that claims to be full AA and I know. Only thing I got from my grandfather was skin color and I'm not sure if me having naturally brownish/red hair that showed in the sun better apart of that either! But that's why I knew dying my hair red would look right on me.

If the op showed up with 4a/b hair, then it wouldn't make sense that the comment was in reference to her having a looser hair texture. Honestly... having healthy, afro textured hair, and at a decent length, is not often associated with African Americans. They know we have nappy hair too, but we are more known for our short chewed up relaxed hair.

I think sterotypes play a huge part on people's perception on what "they suppose to have" and people get disappointed when their child's hair is not the same as dey great grand pappy who was white or part cuban and chinese.

Just because you have white ancestry/lineage that doesn't mean that your guaranteed to have what people consider "good" hair.

Good hair is healthy hair; in my opinion.

If the op showed up with 4a/b hair, then it wouldn't make sense that the comment was in reference to her having a looser hair texture. Honestly... having healthy, afro textured hair, and at a decent length, is not often associated with African Americans. They know we have nappy hair too, but we are more known for our short chewed up relaxed hair.

Your hair is gorgeous, btw

poochie167 said:
how so?
i see puerto ricans every day and their hair can be type 1 to 3 to kinky just like AAs.

AA hair can be type 1?! I thought that's what distinguishes our hair that we have some type of wave or curl pattern... I have never ever saw that!

Not so, my ex is puerto rican and he has 3b/c hair. His mother had 4b hair. His father, 1b. His sisters run the spectrum. Just like everyone else, their hair is diverse

poochie167 said:
how so?
i see puerto ricans every day and their hair can be type 1 to 3 to kinky just like AAs.

Around my way I always see wavy haired Spanish people never tightly coiled but then again it depends on the region and who they mate with . And they wouldn't be Spanish anymore they would be mixed but when you mixed you can claim one or simply put mixed

Theresamonet said:

The absolute truth, we have learned that type 4 Afro hair doesn't mean bad hair, yes harder to moisturize but when you get the right regimen down its a breeze. But I do think majority of society would believe what you stated because they aren't knowledgeable

Back