Dominican vs Hispanic salons

Laginappe

Ok this may very well be the silliest question I ever asked but….

What are the chances that a salon that caters to Hispanic women might use the same / similar hair care methods as a Dominican salon (i.e. their special blowout)?

I’ve been pondering this since here in So. Cal we don’t have the plethora of Dominican stylists / salons as are available on the East Coast.

[ QUOTE ]
Laginappe said:
What are the chances that a salon that caters to Hispanic women might use the same / similar hair care methods as a Dominican salon (i.e. their special blowout)?

[/ QUOTE ]

The odds are good. Call and confirm.

Whether they know how to handle your hair type might require a trip to the salon to check out the clients. I like to see long haired type 4 regular clients strutting around a new shop before I settle into the chair...

[ QUOTE ]
JaneBond said:
dominicans are hispanics, lol

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I know! I'm trying to differentiate between the Dominican salons and the non-Dominican salons.

[ QUOTE ]
Laginappe said:
[ QUOTE ]
JaneBond said:

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I know! I'm trying to differentiate between the Dominican salons and the non-Dominican salons.

[/ QUOTE ]
I recently went to(tried) a Hispanic salon and the receptionist told me they girl who does my type of hair only works on the weekends.. Looking around they follow the same techniques as the Dominicans and they were using Nexxus products
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
JaneBond said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be so quick to say. All Dominicans may be Hispanics... BUT not all Hispanics are Dominicans!
grin.gif

If there is a Hispanic salon, those Hispanics aren't all Dominicans. I think this is what Laginappe may be thinking when asking her question.
wink.gif

I live in new york city and there is a dominican salon on almost EVERY CORNER of harlem lol. All of the women working in a Dominican shop may all not be dominican but i think u guys are just meaning that they are of spanish culture and heritage, so really there is no difference between a "hispanic salon" and a "Dominican" salon. They arent differentiated its just that spanish women work in there together and we all tend to group them as "dominicans" for some reason.There could just as well be puerto ricans columbians, mexicans etc. doing hair. In general, different salons may use different products and all dominican salons may not all carry the same products... Its not like they are a specialty its just that they happen to be spanish. The dominican salons ive gone to have mostly black people going to them for blowouts rollersets wraps etc.

Hi Lagikins!

Def possible. I know women from South America use similar techniques and I know European spanish women sometimes use the same techniques as well.

But you're in Cali - where the Latino pop is mostly Mexican - and I'm not so sure about them because they tend to have coarse stick straight hair/slightly wavy types rather than the gamut that you see in most latin countries. So they don't have to learn to deal with as many hairtypes - which is why Dominican/Puerto Rican/South American techniques work so well on AA hair. Similar in type on sme of them. The mix in Mexico was Indian and European, not African and European for the most part and that's why.

You could try tho!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Laginappe said:
Ok this may very well be the silliest question I ever asked but….

[/ QUOTE ]
laugh.gif
What a cute thread!! But I understand what you mean, not all Hispanic women could do blow outs. I did go to a salon in NYC that had a Haitian woman doing blow outs like Dominican women
smile.gif

I don't know about you ladies but I have seen some naturallly curly haired Mexicans from time to time. But most of the time, they get their hair relaxed. I even seen a little Mexican girl with 3c/4a hair.

Tracy said:
Hi Lagikins!

Def possible. I know women from South America use similar techniques and I know European spanish women sometimes use the same techniques as well.

But you're in Cali - where the Latino pop is mostly Mexican - and I'm not so sure about them because they tend to have coarse stick straight hair/slightly wavy types rather than the gamut that you see in most latin countries. So they don't have to learn to deal with as many hairtypes - which is why Dominican/Puerto Rican/South American techniques work so well on AA hair. Similar in type on sme of them. The mix in Mexico was Indian and European, not African and European for the most part and that's why.

You could try tho!
smile.gif

That's what I was going to say. When I was in Cali, I couldn't find narry a person to do a rollerst/blowout. The Hispanic salons were all Mexican operated and they blow the hair directly after washing it.

Webby:

Is it bad to blowdry right after washing? When I go to the dominican salon, they put leave-in on then start blowdrying from my nape layer by layer using a paddle brush. I am transitioning with a year's worth of newgrowth and the "mommies" say its easier to blowdry wet hair then to set it first. My hair comes out very straight like its been pressed.

caligirl said:
Webby:

Is it bad to blowdry right after washing? When I go to the dominican salon, they put leave-in on then start blowdrying from my nape layer by layer using a paddle brush. I am transitioning with a year's worth of newgrowth and the "mommies" say its easier to blowdry wet hair then to set it first. My hair comes out very straight like its been pressed.
It is probably because your hair is practically completely natural. I noticed that this is what they do to natural hair.

caligirl, which Dominican salon do you go to? I'm thinking of transitioning, and I went for the first time last weekend. The lady told me that I needed a relaxer, because it was breaking. But she did a rollerset and then blow dried. I'm wondering if this would make a difference. Plus, I read on the salon review board that they don't like doing natural type 4 hair, and I wouldn't want to bother them with it if I want it straightened. Anyway, I may want to find a stylist who doesn't mind.

If you go to the areas that may have a good amount of Hispanics there check out thier salons. Ask if they know how to care for tight curls or curly hair... That's all it is, we have curly hair (tight or loose curls, curls none-the-less) :lol:

Just make sure that they can handle curly hair.... If they look at you all "lost" & stuff, leave them at the foot of the cross & keep it moving...
:)

I think in the Salon Review section there might be a review of salons in your area... Just check them out!!
-HTH
:look:

MissJ said:
caligirl, which Dominican salon do you go to? I'm thinking of transitioning, and I went for the first time last weekend. The lady told me that I needed a relaxer, because it was breaking. But she did a rollerset and then blow dried. I'm wondering if this would make a difference. Plus, I read on the salon review board that they don't like doing natural type 4 hair, and I wouldn't want to bother them with it if I want it straightened. Anyway, I may want to find a stylist who doesn't mind.

I go to Jaselvis in Silver Spring, MD. I love them! They are actually excited to do my hair, even though its a lot of work. They never tell me its too nappy or that I need a perm. They even turn down the temp on the blowdryer for me because I can't tolerate the heat.

It's funny that you say Caligirl that at Jaselvis they are excited to do your hair. I went a two years ago when I was four months post relaxer and the first thing the shampoo lady said to me was that I needed a relaxer. :( Maybe she isn't there anymore.

Dominican's are hispanic so I do not understand your question. Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are just like African-Americans. They come in all shades, hair textures, complexions and etc.

Where I go for my wash n set, I see plenty of women of all walks.

I know there's a difference... I walked in to a Fantastic Sams to asked about the price a trim. There were only Hispanic stylists there... The lady who answered me nervously... "It costs $18 for a trim but we only blowdry--we don't have rollers..." I just smiled and explained to her that I'd be straightening my hair myself. I just needed someone to trim it. She seemed relieved. :lol:

Back