"you have dominican hair"

I think like another poster said, that you have long healthy hair, thus you gotta be an "hispanic senorita" :lol:...Just take it as a compliment most people don't know any better.

It just depends...she could have meant texture or simply that your hair is similar to the majority of Dominicans in her experience.

This Puerto Rican guy told me I had Dominican hair. I told him "No, I don't. I have Trini hair." Let him wrap his head around that one. LOL.

These people, for example, are Puerto Rican...just from an area with plenty African descendants.

NationalCollegeMascot.jpg

n520883618_3112840_4598261.jpg

redteam.jpg

divya said:
It just depends...she could have meant texture or simply that your hair is similar to the majority of Dominicans in her experience.

This Puerto Rican guy told me I had Dominican hair. I told him "No, I don't. I have Trini hair." Let him wrap his head around that one. LOL.

These people, for example, are Puerto Rican...just from an area with plenty African descendants.

Tiano indian descendants I believe.

Hair texture/skin complexion/ facial features in puerto ricans and dominicans are as diverse they are in black americans.

im a freakin 4a/4b crazy kinky, rarely curly.

For the people lacking reading comprehension who seem to think O.P is a silky 3a who knows the deal and fishing for compliments and playing the innocent.

It's best to read without knee jerk reactions.

OP, as someone stated, next time ask. :) if you do, come back and let us know the answer.

If the op showed up with 4a/b hair, then it wouldn't make sense that the comment was in reference to her having a looser hair texture. Honestly... having healthy, afro textured hair, and at a decent length, is not often associated with African Americans. They know we have nappy hair too, but we are more known for our short chewed up relaxed hair.

Because thanks isn't enough. My hurr straight is bsl but blown-out it's huge and a lil' past shoulder length, but I receive the most compliments/attention when it's blown out and glorious. And it's shocking when people don't label your own natural volume as black but as something else. It's confusing :lol:

For the people lacking reading comprehension who seem to think O.P is a silky 3a who knows the deal and fishing for compliments and playing the innocent.

It's best to read without knee jerk reactions.

OP, as someone stated, next time ask. :) if you do, come back and let us know the answer.
:lol: EXACTLY!!...she don't have the worlds perception of "good hair" so saying she has dominican hair would seem odd (why is that hard for people to get?)!!!....If someone looked at my nappy hair and made it seem exoctic i would be confused too!! well that or think the person is BS'ing....smh.. 3somethings always get the "your hair is so beautiful"....us nappies usally get the "girl, why you aint comb that head" :lol: (at least i have :ohwell:)

Because thanks isn't enough. My hurr straight is bsl but blown-out it's huge and a lil' past shoulder length, but I receive the most compliments/attention when it's blown out and glorious. And it's shocking when people don't label your own natural volume as black but as something else. It's confusing :lol:

WhippedButterCreme Yes, it is so strange (but kinda understandable) that something that is so natural to us, is no longer associated with us. We've been altering our hair textures for so long. When I first went natural a few years ago, I was walking around at work with my 4a out, and one of my co workers (old Asian man) basically asked me if I was wearing a wig. I was like... dafuq?! :huh: You see a black woman walking around with an afro and your first inclination is that it must be a wig? :ohwell:

@WhippedButterCreme Yes, it is so strange (but kinda understandable) that something that is so natural to us, is no longer associated with us. We've been altering our hair textures for so long. When I first went natural a few years ago, I was walking around at work with my 4a out, and one of my co workers (old Asian man) basically asked me if I was wearing a wig. I was like... dafuq?! :huh: You see a black woman walking around with an afro and your first inclination is that it must be a wig? :ohwell:
:nono: That's crazy!!...we not even believed when we wearing our own texture, thats just shenanigans.

Actually I just went to puerto Rico this summer near San Juan and was shocked by the huge range of features these ppl had. Skin color ranged from white to very dark an hduf ranged from straight to loose Afro but with course looking hair. Some even looked like they were 12 weeks post relaxer. What I found really amazing was that it was sometimes hard to match up the kids with the parents b/c at times they looked totally different. :-/. Not sure if this only s San Juan effect ( city area) or all over the country.

Sounds like every other Caribbean island I've been too.......

Maybe, some of the PRs around your way have had a relaxer. They typically don’t advertise that they get relaxers; theirs are usually applied in a back room of the salon with the door closed.
:lachen::lachen: Girl, you're so funny!

listen its a hair board and im new. its takes less than five minutes to answer a question thats it. some of you need to be a little nicer to newbies. stop expectin newbies to know what you know. stop saying o GO LOOK FOR IT. thats rude. i dont care if the question was asked a million times. when your heads where here in this same predicament somebody took the time you answer your questions.
I did not expect the rudeness wen i came here. with the same amount of time you typed those letters to answer this post rudely you could have contributed something positive.

just because you got passed your SL-APL-BSL whatever doesnt mean youre better than others

Last edited:
AA hair can be type 1?! I thought that's what distinguishes our hair that we have some type of wave or curl pattern... I have never ever saw that!

My aunt's hair was type 3 when she was younger. As she's gotten older it gradually loosened to type 2 and now in her late 50's, early 60's it just grows out straight type 1.

I was at the salon and my (dominican) stylist told me I have dominican hair..I had some lil indian girl say that to me when i was 14 too lol
this might be a dumb question but what in the world does that mean lol

have you ever been told you have ""____" hair?

Maybe she meant your hair spoke with an accent.:lachen:

I am not saying it doesn't exist but I have not seen any AA with type 1 hair. Maybe if the are biracial but I haven't seen one but the world is big so I know at least one exist. :lol:

I am not saying it doesn't exist but I have not seen any AA with type 1 hair. Maybe if the are biracial but I haven't seen one but the world is big so I know at least one exist. :lol:

My aunt isn't biracial, but her father (my grandfather) was.

sofash said:
listen its a hair board and im new. its takes less than five minutes to answer a question thats it. some of you need to be a little nicer to newbies. stop expectin newbies to know what you know. stop saying o GO LOOK FOR IT. thats rude. i dont care if the question was asked a million times. when your heads where here in this same predicament somebody took the time you answer your questions.
I did not expect the rudeness wen i came here. with the same amount of time you typed those letters to answer this post rudely you could have contributed something positive.

just because you got passed your SL-APL-BSL whatever doesnt mean youre better than others

I agree. Most threads have recycled topics honestly.

I think that some of the more seasoned members here just know how left field threads about race/ethnicity can go. That's why you have some members that will say, "not again.."

If you ever do come across an old thread that's similar to this one, you'll see. Everything in this thread seems pretty tame so far though.

But I agree with another member. I would ask the stylist directly what in the world she meant. I'm sure it'd be a interesting explanation

Back