"you have dominican hair"

BostonMaria said:
It depends. Puerto Ricans come in all colors too. My husband is Puerto Rican. He's pale with 4A hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

My bff is pr. Her grandparents and aunt are pale with type 2 hair. Her mother is pale with 3c/4a hair. In fact she rocked an Afro when we were kids and used to get teased by the other kids growing up in Spanish Harlem because her hair wasn't curly enough.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

Around my way I always see wavy haired Spanish people never tightly coiled but then again it depends on the region and who they mate with . And they wouldn't be Spanish anymore they would be mixed but when you mixed you can claim one or simply put mixed

Puerto ricans with type 2a hair can mate with puerto ricans with type 4a. they're still puerto rican. Some PRs that you have probably walked by thinking they were AA...but were actually PR. they're out there

Lilmama1011 said:
AA hair can be type 1?! I thought that's what distinguishes our hair that we have some type of wave or curl pattern... I have never ever saw that!

I've seen type 1 hair on an aa before. The lady that used to do my aunt's hair was pale with blondish hair and blue eyes. You wouldn't have known she was black until you saw her kids who looked straight aa and then when she opened her mouth there was really no doubt lol.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

If the op showed up with 4a/b hair, then it wouldn't make sense that the comment was in reference to her having a looser hair texture. Honestly... having healthy, afro textured hair, and at a decent length, is not often associated with African Americans. They know we have nappy hair too, but we are more known for our short chewed up relaxed hair.
TRUE very true

poochie167 said:
Puerto ricans with type 2a hair can mate with puerto ricans with type 4a. they're still puerto rican. Some PRs that you have probably walked by thinking they were AA...but were actually PR. they're out there

I know I can't tell Dominican from AA

irisak said:
I've seen type 1 hair on an aa before. The lady that used to do my aunt's hair was pale with blondish hair and blue eyes. You wouldn't have known she was black until you saw her kids who looked straight aa and then when she opened her mouth there was really no doubt lol.

That's so amazing

Around my way I always see wavy haired Spanish people never tightly coiled but then again it depends on the region and who they mate with . And they wouldn't be Spanish anymore they would be mixed but when you mixed you can claim one or simply put mixed

Maybe, some of the PRs around your way have had a relaxer. They typically don’t advertise that they get relaxers; theirs are usually applied in a back room of the salon with the door closed.

Lilmama1011 said:
Exactly how I feel my grandfather is puerto rican but due to certain family issues I never saw him and my mom didn't see her father as well. And I always said why is my hair no different then a person that claims to be full AA and I know. Only thing I got from my grandfather was skin color and I'm not sure if me having naturally brownish/red hair that showed in the sun better apart of that either! But that's why I knew dying my hair red would look right on me.

I never seen my grandfather. I guess the pics got left in cali, he moved back to Puerto Rico after the divorce so I can only ask my mom and uncle what his hair looked like. But ima leave it alone, seems kinda selfish after all these years the first words I would speak about my grandfather is about his hair type lol.

Right before I found LCHF I looked up
Paige Hurds race and she's 1/4 Puerto Rican like me. Her curly hair and race almost made me go natural but then I realized I couldnt keep my relaxed hair moist so I couldnt keep natural hair moist.

Are you defering to Spainyards or puerto ricans? Puerto ricans aren't "Spanish," and they, like Dominicans, ARE a mixed race of people!

Lilmama1011 said:
Yeah I can barely tell AA hair from Dominican hair. Only some got a slightly and when I say slight I mean very minimum looser curl pattern and some are the same. Now puerto rican hair is a big difference than most AA hair

Actually I just went to puerto Rico this summer near San Juan and was shocked by the huge range of features these ppl had. Skin color ranged from white to very dark an hduf ranged from straight to loose Afro but with course looking hair. Some even looked like they were 12 weeks post relaxer. What I found really amazing was that it was sometimes hard to match up the kids with the parents b/c at times they looked totally different. :-/. Not sure if this only s San Juan effect ( city area) or all over the country.

I guess she meant you have "healthy", "long", or looser curled hair, idk..lol. Of course this a stereotype as they have a lot of variation.

Dominicans run the gamet and are more racially mixed then AA. They are however the least mixed at of the Latin carribbean countries which is why they are so good at doing black hair! Many Dominicans are type 3 and type 4, but also type 1 and 2. Most of my dominican friends and associates that I had when I lived in NY, were Type 2/3 mixes. Many had long hair, some super long (hip length and beyond).

The Dominicans I knew with type 4 hair seemed to struggle with length just like a lot of AA.

poochie167 said:
how so?
i see puerto ricans every day and their hair can be type 1 to 3 to kinky just like AAs.

Add type 4b. I swear ppl,... I just came back from the motherland in April, lol. And it was NOT a rare occurrence. Also, like I mentioned above, some do relax their hair. I never knew that the "spanishy" type of Dominicans did that as well.

Growing up in nyc people always said I looked dominican even dominicans especially at the hair salon. I never understood it because dominicans look black to me. Isn't DR & Haiti the same island seperated by a border. Lol yea their black too.

Im glad yall told me puerto ricans can have 4a hair cause Im part PR and I was wondering why I didnt have "good hair" lol. I wish I knew what my grandfather looked like so I can see his hair.

Exactly how I feel my grandfather is puerto rican but due to certain family issues I never saw him and my mom didn't see her father as well. And I always said why is my hair no different then a person that claims to be full AA and I know. Only thing I got from my grandfather was skin color and I'm not sure if me having naturally brownish/red hair that showed in the sun better apart of that either! But that's why I knew dying my hair red would look right on me.

Having a certain hair type or color is not mutually exclusive to being black/African American.
Its like saying only a certain race can have green or hazel eyes when we know blacks/African Americans who have them.

Do either of you consider yourselves to be Puerto Rican?

Some of ya'll need to broaden your horizons and expand your minds. If you are going to speak about a group of people make sure you are speaking fact and not stereotype.

OP, I have no idea what she means by your hair being Dominican. The best thing to do is ask what a person means when they say it. There is no way for you to know what your hair stylist meant if you don't ask her.

hair4romheaven said:
Growing up in nyc people always said I looked dominican even dominicans especially at the hair salon. I never understood it because dominicans look black to me. Isn't DR & Haiti the same island seperated by a border. Lol yea their black too.

Don't tell them that though, lol

PersuasiveBeauty said:
Op you knew what she meant when she said that. Stop frontin.

Lol she means you don't have the typical hair of an African American which most people associate with being 4a/4b.

Dominicans are known to have looser type 2-type 3 hair. They are indeed racially mixed. Being mixed does mean you usually have looser hair at the end of the day.

^^^But, the OP said she has 4a/b hair. So, unless the OP is wrong about her hair type the stylist probably didn't mean she had a looser texture.

knt1229 said:
^^^But, the OP said she has 4a/b hair. So, unless the OP is wrong about her hair type the stylist probably didn't mean she had a looser texture.

Ohh I didn't read the whole thread.

That means they were trying to give her a compliment and say her hair was "nice" or "healthy".

Unfortunately, some Dominicans don't always have the best views of AA. Especially AA hair... even though most Dominican stylist have AA clients. Idk..its weird

Tego Calderon, puertorican
th_tego_calderon200.jpg

puertorican woman
th_histeria-por-cabello-crespo-21339794.jpg

puertorican writer
th_Mayra3.jpg

OP, I think what she meant was that your hair responds better to Dominican styling (i.e. the hair comes out straighter, smoother and silkier when blow dried, and stays that way longer) than typical AA hair, despite being kinky in its natural state.

Being Haitian with some Dominican thrown in (it's funny when I make that distinction cause in my opinion we're all from the same island and we're all black), I got that a lot when my hair was natural and I still get it now that my hair is relaxed. All in all, she was trying to say you have that "good" kinky hair. :ohwell:

i was always under the impression that domican hair and black hair were the same so it was like what, yall got differnt hair???. in my mind there are 2 types of hair ( not talkin bout the hair type chart) 1- white ppl hair and 2-black people hair

Lol what ever happened to Asian or Hispanic? There are variations.

This might not be PC here but there are more Dominicans with looser hair patterns than AA on a whole. Is that a good thing? For me no it is not, but to others mainly Dominicans, yes.

And also, just because I remember a similar thread last year where a poster started a thread about someone calling her hair "cuban hair" (and because I'm feeling nostalgic about my country lol) and Americans cannot travel to Cuba now, here are some pictures of Cuba so you can see the diverse racial makeup. Black people in Cuba run all the gamut from very light skin to very dark skin. Remember, same slaves as the U.S, different ship.

LONG POST, BIG PICTURES

4221838840_2914655813_b.jpg

4226691900_6db8f3f1ba_b-1.jpg

54765465.jpg

5477170676_458f61a5fe_b.jpg

11654534567657.jpg

20110213cuba-calle13-concierto-tribuna-antimperialista-18.jpg

565655.jpg

5767.jpg

barrio_chino016-1.jpg

5415300418_d781a84972_b.jpg

376756551_5a31b1cb81_b.jpg

4315422240_4bf8b22a0d_b.jpg

1863212891_cea95580fe_b.jpg

Havana2006-11-1909_26_45.jpg

10375-fotografia-g.jpg

klujh%C3%A7.jpg

Some of ya'll need to broaden your horizons and expand your minds. If you are going to speak about a group of people make sure you are speaking fact and not stereotype.

OP, I have no idea what she means by your hair being Dominican. The best thing to do is ask what a person means when they say it. There is no way for you to know what your hair stylist meant if you don't ask her.

Yes, please do this and KIM.

Back