You get what you pay for 'untruths'...

sweetcocoa

You get what you pay for \'untruths\'...

Expensive is not always better....
For example...
I paid 15 bucks for Redken All Soft Heavy Creme...not!
mad.gif

I love Pantene Pro-V Smooth and Sleek - 2.99
So just because something is cheap doesn't mean it won't work well...
I thought it would be great to post some inexpensive products for those of us on a 'budget'...or those of us that just need to get a 'grip'(me...
grin.gif
) on our spending...

Re: You get what you pay for \'untruths\'...

This is an excellent topic! I really don't believe in overspending just for a name product. If I can get a knock-off that works just as well, I'm a happy consumer (and if I have a coupon too, I'm on cloud 99).

My favorite cheapies:
Olive oil
At One With Nature wrapping foam
Wonder Gro Shea Butter spray
Tresomme Hydrology shampoo and conditioner

I really like:

Motions Light Lotion
Quene Helene Cholesterol
Lekair Cholesterol

I paid all that money for ORS Temple Balm and it did nothing for me. Lately I have been using WGO and coconut oil on my edges and I see tiny "baby hair" starting to form.

Pantene Smooth and Sleek Conditioner is very cheap, and I love it.
grin.gif

I like Tressme clarifying shampoo. It does not strip the hair while deep cleaning.
smile.gif

I love threads like this (probably because I'm a PJ
drunk.gif
I think). Anways I agree, you can get cheap hair products that work as good or better than expensive ones.

I do have an expensive conditioner, Kerastase which is ridiculously expensive. I have the Smoothing Mask and Macquintense. Both do work really well but aren't worth the $30 price tag in NY. (I bought them overseas though and paid alot less, I'm a bargain hunter
grin.gif
).

Loreal Unfrizz Smoothing Treatment does exactly what the Kerastase Smoothing Mask does and the ingredients are v.similar too so there's a example right there.

Other great cheapos are Cream of Nature Shampoo, Motions Moisture Plus, Le Kair Cholestrol, extra virgin olive oil for adding to conditioners. I would've added Tropical Avocado but I'm using that later today so can't comment just yet
laugh.gif

I think the only thing I justify paying more for is Lanza shampoos which I just love alot and so don't mind the extra $$$. And Aubrey Organics GPB (around $6/$7 ish).

911 Emergency Leave-in Conditioner $4.99 ( or less) .

I switched from it when it was working excellently to Infusium 23. I heard a lot of raves about Infusium 23 but honestly I don't think it's betteer than 911. 911 was great and cheap and it made my hair softttt when I mixed it with my grapeseed or olive oil.

Other great and inexpensive options are: 100% castor oil
100% pure rosemary oil
100% grapeseed oil

Products that cost money but do perform WELL are:
Nexxus Emergencee
KeraKare Humecto Moisturizing conditioner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Expensive is not always better....

[/ QUOTE ]

sooo very true

well my favorite cheap products

Pantene Smooth and Sleek (we all know how much I love this)

Suave Moisturising, Coconut, and Salon Formula Conditioners

Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Cholesterol I am so in love with this. It is thick, heavy and my hair just feels wonderful when I am done. ..all for $3.99

Actually now that I think about it most of my products are cheap drug store products. I am a daily washer so I go through a lot of conditioner and styling products. When I have tried more expensive salon brands I find that the drugstore stuff I use is most of the time just as good if not better

Aubrey GPB is the most expensive thing I use in my hair.

Cheap products I love are:

Tropical Avocado Conditioner (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE) BRH I think you're gonna love it too. Our hair is similar
smile.gif

Pantene Smooth and Sleek
Lafier Almond and Honey Rinse
CON Shampoos
S-Curl

High End Products worth the dollars:

Lanza Shampoo and conditioner
Elucence Shampoo and Conditioner

This shampoo is one of the best for claryifing!! I remember my mother used to get a free bottle of this stuff with every spritz she purchased.

My favorite cheap product is Aussie Moist Condiotioner when my hair is relaxed. I get loads of slip and my hair is very soft.

Sweetcocoa, I hear you on the Redken All Soft Heavy Cream. I used it twice, and I absolutely hate it. Cost me $15 bucks, too!
mad.gif
It left my hair as hard as sandpaper. Goes to show that expensive doesn't equal great.

BrownRelaxedHair, I've been so tempted to try the Kerastase Macquintense but the price tag has always scared me off. I'm glad you mentioned you don't think it's worth the $30 price tag (I've seen it retail for more, BTW). My favorite cheapos are Motions Moisture Plus conditioner, Motions Lavish Conditioning shampoo, and Cream of Nature.

Sweetcocoa, I agree. I like the Pantene Pro-V conditioning wrap &amp; set lotion in the relaxed &amp; natural line. It made my hair really soft &amp; smooth.

I love Loreal's Curlvive shampoo and conditioner. I think they're like 4 bucks each.

African Pride Hair and Scalp spray (I use it for daily moisture)

John Frieda Frizz ease serum (extra strength)-it's not super cheap but it's not as expensive as salon stuff. You can get it at the grocery store.

KitKat, don't get me wrong, the Macquintense is still a very good conditioner but I just don't think its performance wows me for the price tag sold here. I know Vevster has it and really likes it.

I prefer the Kerastase Smoothing Mask actually if I had to pick an expensive product that I like conditioner wise.

But as I said, the Loreal does an almost identical job.

Be careful of what you wish for. To me, and I agree with sweetcocoa, less is more than expensive. I like to be a cheap PJ. Here are some of my examples of my cheap products in my collection. A store name version of Pantene shampoo+conditioner for dry, damaged hair. Suave Performance Smoothing conditioner, EcoStyler hair gel, VO5 Strawberries and Cream conditoner, Hollywood Beauty carrot oil, Proclaim natural 7 oil. I also love Queen Helene Cholesterol, ACV for rinses, a generic version of Infusium23 at Sally's, that to me is cheaper than the higher priced original I saw for over $6.00 (who want's to pay that much for a leave-in conditioner??????) That will be next on the PJ's list of items to have.

I would rename myself as <font color="blue">Cheap BabyCurls, </font> because cheap is better. Good subject, sweetcocoa.
smile.gif
Forgot to add on my cheap list: Avocodo oil and Mango butter from Cedarvale. Depends on the price per oz. or lb.

For me, it's the Suave Biobasic, I just love it. It is a copy of Biolage, and costs about $1.79. My hair gets soft an easy To detangle. I like also the Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal oil: About $2. Good moisturizer for me.
Zanna

I have to bump again to add Clairol Renewal 5x shampoo, conditioner and Hydration Therapy. I think I paid over $2.00 for the conditioner and the shampoo, and under $5.00 for the Hydration treatment. Talking about saving so much on products that could cost you a lot more in salons and specialty stores. <font color="blue">WOW!!! </font>
shocked.gif

Some of my drugstore faves:

-John Frieda Kelp Help Conditioner
-John Frieda Sheer Blonde Hair Repair (don't let the name fool ya, non-blondes can use this too!)
-L'Oreal NutriVive Conditioner
-L'Oreal Smooth-Intense Serum
-Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

All of these are as good or better than more expensive salon brands I've tried.

zanna said:
For me, it's the Suave Biobasic, I just love it. It is a copy of Biolage, and costs about $1.79.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've used this conditioner in the past. It really is great at detangling, and you can't beat the price. In my area the cost is $1.54 (talk about good and inexpensive).
grin.gif

Good Cheapies:

Suave conditioners - less than $1
Elasta QP H-2 Leave-In Spray - $2.39
S-Curl Spray - $3.39

So funny yuou mention this Sweetcocoa, because after having to REWASH my hair after yet another HELLISH experience with Mizani Moisturefuse (yes, the herb kind) I was looking around in my shower for some emergency fix its and I realized that all of the stuff I fall back on when the going gets tough or myhair is acting crazy or I just need some big time pampering because I've been mean to it - are all DRUGSTORE brands!
shocked.gif
And if they aren't technically, they are very inexpensive beauty supply brands.....The only exceptions to this are my Lanza Shampoos and my Nexxus Emergencee.

For me my REAL STAPLES are mostly cheapies (relatively speaking):

Infusium 23 Power Pac
Pantene DMR (and the new deep conditioner that they have added to the line)
Fantasia IC Pure Tea Shampoo
Salon Selectives Serious Recovery and Loosely Defined
John Frieda Dream Curls
HI PRO PAC and Bone Marrow Conditioners
Pantene and water as a leave in
Feria COlor Moisturizing Conditioner

These things work for me when nothing else will. I continuiously rely on these for everything I need - no matter how much I buy.

I wonder if I'll be able to remember this when I pass buy Ricky's next time
drunk.gif

tracy, nice to "see" you
kiss.gif

Its funny you say that pantene is one of your fix its.. its mine too. I had a horrible experience with Humecto and i used the pantene and in 5 mins my hair was soo soft. Plus its only 6.40 for 25oz's

BTW, i love reading your posts, i was going through withdrawal for a while
blush.gif

I like V05 Pina Coloda for conditioner washes. The Creamy Citrus is another fave. A 15 oz. bottle is only $0.96 at Walmart. The larger bottles would be more economical, but they won't fit in my teeny tiny shower.
frown.gif

Elasta QP also makes a lot of good "cheapies".

This is a great thread!

Lala, I'm with you on the Pantene Wrap Set Lotion
smile.gif

I also like these cheapies:

Motions Oil Conditioner
Pantene DMR
Cream of Nature Shampoo
Clairol 5X Replenishing Conditioner
AND
L'oreal Smooth Intense Serum ($5-6 compared to $20 for Keracare Silken Seal)

where are you ladies getting this Smooth intense serum???
confused.gif
crazy.gif
... i cant find it anywhere..

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen it at Wal-Mart and K-mart in the L'Oreal section.

Beana,
clap.gif

Count on you to make me feel warm and fuzzy.
grin.gif
kiss.gif
Thank you honey...you've been a little incognito yourself - and I was wondering where you were. I miss LD too.
frown.gif

Anyways - I found the L'Oreal Smooth Intense Serum at a Rite Aid on 50th and 8th.

It's about 6 or 7 dollars.

sassygirl125 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen it at Wal-Mart and K-mart in the L'Oreal section.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been looking for this also....I've been unable to find it at my local Wal-Mart and Rite-Aide....I'll have to look again today....
frown.gif

Back