Wrong ring wrong guy? SATC SPOILER ALERT!!!

Lucia

If you haven't seen Sex and the City the series or the movies this contains spoilers!!!!!
So don't go any further

Do you agree with Samantha?
You can have both, really I believe everyone can but since alot of straight guys are clueless about jewelry and what their SO might want, is it right to turn down your Mr. Right because he may have what you consider bad taste in rings?
In the clips Carrie gets sick at the thought of becoming engaged to Aiden, so she was harping about the ring but in reality it was Aiden she didn't want in the end. But later on in the movies Big proposes with some Jimmy Choo's (ahem Cinderella)then after they are married (where there's no big diamond ring bling-and Big does have money) he gives her a black solitaire diamond. So here we go...

ETA: Clarification
Here's the questions
Do you agree with Sam if the ring is wrong (i.e. a style you don't like) does that make the man Mr. Wrong for you? or would you turn down the right man for you if he had no ring or wrong ring at that time?
Was Carrie's issue really the ring or was it Aiden?

Carrie's reation to Aiden's 1st ring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3gxQLa9EP8

Carrie accepts a different ring, but refuses to wear it on her finger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuRa87qyTxw

Carrie refuses to elope
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwsUkOC7WQU&feature=related

Big Proposes to Carrie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0xn2PkQopg&feature=related

Last edited:
I'm lost? Big proposed with Carries Manolo Blahniks she left in the penthouse she and Big were renovating together to move in.

Aidan wasn't Carries Mr.Right...Big was. That was the point. Big wasn't perfect...but he was "Carries" Mr.Right. She didn't accept the ring from Aidan because he was her Mr.Wrong.

It had nothing to do with rings. I am probably misunderstanding your post because of the SATC examples.

IIRC, Miranda was the one who actually picked out the first ring that Aiden proposed with. The second ring he chose on his own, and she loved it--she just didn't love him.

Big didn't even have a ring.

Your examples don't really match with your questions ( or I may be misunderstanding), but I think a woman would be more critical of the ring if she doesn't love the man, and more forgiving if she does.

Actually Samantha helped Aidan pick out the last ring.

I don't think that the ring represents whether someone is Mr. Right. Carrie had many reactions to marrying Aidan besides the ring. She broke out in rashes when she put the dress on, she freaked out when he was breaking down her walls, etc.

With Big, he could've gotten her an onion ring and she would've been happy. LOL! Because he was the one that was truly in her heart even if she tried to force Aidan to be.

Now because Im a strong believer in signs, I do believe in things like the ring breaking or not fitting as a "sign" of trouble. I remember seeing that in a movie called Serendipity and the guy turned out to not be the one for her. Ironnically, the man was played by Aidan. :lol:

So to answer the question I don't believe the man picking the wrong ring means he's not Mr. Right, it's all about how the woman feels in her heart.

BTW I just saw the Aidan proposal episode a week ago on E! lol

I don't think that it had to do with the ring.

Carrie didn't want to get married to Aiden, at least she wasn't ready to do so, that is why she got sick at the thought of the entire thing.

Big proposed with Jimmy Choos because that was what was there at the time. I also think that Carrie generally bends herself backward for men a lot and in a lot of cases (which I am guilty of) go through the motions so that she doesn't have to deal with the conflict side of things. I don't know if this is normal but it irked me that throughout the movie she had to first prod at the idea of marriage to Big then had to reassure him about getting married, then still had to go back after he stood her up at the alter. Though I love SATC, I don't think it's a model to pattern oneself after.

I'm lost? Big proposed with Carries Manolo Blahniks she left in the penthouse she and Big were renovating together to move in.

Aidan wasn't Carries Mr.Right...Big was. That was the point. Big wasn't perfect...but he was "Carries" Mr.Right. She didn't accept the ring from Aidan because he was her Mr.Wrong.

It had nothing to do with rings. I am probably misunderstanding your post because of the SATC examples.

No you got it, I thought the examples would illustrate what I was trying to say and help put the questions in context.

IIRC, Miranda was the one who actually picked out the first ring that Aiden proposed with. The second ring he chose on his own, and she loved it--she just didn't love him.

Big didn't even have a ring.

Your examples don't really match with your questions ( or I may be misunderstanding), but I think a woman would be more critical of the ring if she doesn't love the man, and more forgiving if she does.

ITA with bolded, I don't think you're confused aobut the context of the videos.

Actually Samantha helped Aidan pick out the last ring.

I don't think that the ring represents whether someone is Mr. Right. Carrie had many reactions to marrying Aidan besides the ring. She broke out in rashes when she put the dress on, she freaked out when he was breaking down her walls, etc.
With Big, he could've gotten her an onion ring and she would've been happy. LOL! Because he was the one that was truly in her heart even if she tried to force Aidan to be.

Now because Im a strong believer in signs, I do believe in things like the ring breaking or not fitting as a "sign" of trouble. I remember seeing that in a movie called Serendipity and the guy turned out to not be the one for her. Ironnically, the man was played by Aidan. :lol:

So to answer the question I don't believe the man picking the wrong ring means he's not Mr. Right, it's all about how the woman feels in her heart.

BTW I just saw the Aidan proposal episode a week ago on E! lol

Good points, that construction seen is a good scene, I'll try and link it.

I don't think that it had to do with the ring.

Carrie didn't want to get married to Aiden, at least she wasn't ready to do so, that is why she got sick at the thought of the entire thing.

Big proposed with Jimmy Choos because that was what was there at the time. I also think that Carrie generally bends herself backward for men a lot and in a lot of cases (which I am guilty of) go through the motions so that she doesn't have to deal with the conflict side of things. I don't know if this is normal but it irked me that throughout the movie she had to first prod at the idea of marriage to Big then had to reassure him about getting married, then still had to go back after he stood her up at the alter. Though I love SATC, I don't think it's a model to pattern oneself after.

I think a lot of women do this to some degree. Some compromise some just go above and beyond and some just try to change themselves inside out for a man it's all what each person is comfortable with and if they would have made those changes anyway on their own eventually or is it just for the man and they hav eot live with it anyways so it's on them. I don't think Carrie changed that much out of her way for Big she changed more for Aiden and Petrovsky. Now Charlotte that to me was a major change, Charlotte changed religions for Christ's sake (pun intended) if that's not bending over backwards I don't know what is.
No, I don't suggest anyone model themselves after Carrie or any of them litterally, but through their misadventures and many sexcapades there are tons of lessons to be learned. That's the point of books, movies to get you thinking, give you experiences without having to go through it and pay for it, at least that's my take on it.

Back