• Yes

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • No

Votes: 243 92.0%
  • Maybe/depends

Votes: 14 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My nephew hair is naturally straight (mix Black and Spanish) and he wants long hair (his grows like weed - seriously in a month he has grown over 2 inches of hair) and no way he is getting his way on longer hair. I just hope my nephew grows out of wanting his hair longer. He sees some boys around the neighbourhood with SL and just below hair and wants the same.

As for the boy in the video his natural hair is so beautiful, no need for straightening, he will get teased to boot as well. His hair is just gorgeous as is! Even if his hair was short to straighten a boy hairs seems wrong when it does not naturally grow that way. Maybe times are changing and I am now an old foggy.

Maybe if he was a grown up with face hair a beard, goatee or side burns the longer straight hair may look trendy on a black guy in a ponytail.

P.S. Yes I am jealous of my nephew growth rate what a waste on a boy that is. :perplexed Oh well. When he is an adult he can do whatever he wants with his hair.

Last edited:
LOL. I was one of the 6 people that voted maybe/depends. I would let my son (if I had one) grow his hair out if he wanted long hair. And if he wanted to straighten it, I would flat iron it for him ONCE a year.

I would teach him about healthy hair growing and to be cautious with direct heat. I know it's girly or whatever, but I would let my son be who he is and try it out. I'd teach him about gender roles and fitting in, and if he can't take the heat from his ignorant classmates we'd cut it off LOL. :grin:

The boy doesn't appear to be enjoying the process. He has beautiful, healthy hair but...

Call me old fashioned, but a press and curl is absolutely, indisputably, non-negotiably not in my son's future. Can't have a child of mine looking like Snoop Dogg or DJ Quik.

I think the curling part is too much. I see this little boy (I think) at my PT job and his (I think) hair is beautiful, but his (I think) mother has it straightened and the ends are curled under ( i am sure he [I think] has to wrap it at night). Doing that to a boy (I think) that young, def under 12 is bad. I honestly stare at him (I think), not just because the hair is beautiful, but I am not sure if its a boy or girl. The only thing that makes him (I think) boy is his clothing, and demeanor.

I have two boys and they both have long hair (at least for boys). My 7 yr old has locs and the are bsb. My little guy (will be 2 in August) has hair type similar to the boy in the video and stretched it's midback and unstretched it grazes the shoulders. I would not straighten his hair just to wear out but I would consider blowing it out (when he is a little older) for braiding. For now, he wears his hair mostly in banded styles (that look like cornrows). If they want to cut it, we'll cut it. If they want to keep letting it grow, we'll do that too.

besides the fact that that press was stiff and greasy, GOOD GAWD that little boy had some gorgeous hair!!!

And to all yall saying "little boys/males/men shouldn't have long hair" y'all do realize that is a standard created by the roman centurion to prevent hair getting caught up in battles and becoming a weakness right? Before that, ALL men had long hair and it was a sign of strength and wealth. Also many tribes in Africa men have beautiful locks of long hair, and many Rastafarian grow their dreads down their backs. MANY MANY men wear long hair, just because Y'ALL aren't used to seeing it outside YOUR neighborhood doesn't mean others SHOULDN'T do it. :spinning:

And the ones saying it were probably the same ones giving "Real" from ILNY the look... lololol

besides the fact that that press was stiff and greasy, GOOD GAWD that little boy had some gorgeous hair!!!

And to all yall saying "little boys/males/men shouldn't have long hair" y'all do realize that is a standard created by the roman centurion to prevent hair getting caught up in battles and becoming a weakness right? Before that, ALL men had long hair and it was a sign of strength and wealth. Also many tribes in Africa men have beautiful locks of long hair, and many Rastafarian grow their dreads down their backs. MANY MANY men wear long hair, just because Y'ALL aren't used to seeing it outside YOUR neighborhood doesn't mean others SHOULDN'T do it. :spinning:

And the ones saying it were probably the same ones giving "Real" from ILNY the look... lololol

For me it isn't about the length. I have a problem with a male child sitting there getting his hair flat-ironed as if he's a little girl getting ready to say her Easter speech. They couldn't find a little girl to do that to? My husband would have a fit if I signed my son up for something like that.

Some people have issues with boys that have long hair. I am not one of them. I have issue with heat straightening any young child's (boy or girl's) hair.

Warning: Strong Opinion

When children that young get their hair straightened, it is not about them. It is about the adult and their wants and needs.
What child wants to sit for hours going through that process...flinching and squirming, afraid of the hot comb or flat iron?
Please, it was obvious from that video that the boy did not want to sit through all that!

For me it isn't about the length. I have a problem with a male child sitting there getting his hair flat-ironed as if he's a little girl getting ready to say her Easter speech. They couldn't find a little girl to do that to? My husband would have a fit if I signed my son up for something like that.

So... you have a problem with male grooming? Im not sure I understand. So its no problem for a boy to have long hair... he just cant style it? I mean its not like they were sitting up there putting bows in the boys hair... they just straightened it.

So... you have a problem with male grooming? Im not sure I understand. So its no problem for a boy to have long hair... he just cant style it? I mean its not like they were sitting up there putting bows in the boys hair... they just straightened it.

My question is:
What was the point of straightening his hair?
Why put him through all that?
His hair was groomed before they straightened it.

Some people have issues with boys that have long hair. I am not one of them. I have issue with heat straightening any young child's (boy or girl's) hair.

Warning: Strong Opinion

When children that young get their hair straightened, it is not about them. It is about the adult and their wants and needs.
What child wants to sit for hours going through that process...flinching and squirming, afraid of the hot comb or flat iron?
Please, it was obvious from that video that the boy did not want to sit through all that!

I agree, there was no need to put him through all of that, Im sure the parents like the look and wanted to see him w/ straightened hair. IMO I think he looked better with the curly hair.

My question is:
What was the point of straightening his hair?
Why put him through all that?
His hair was groomed before they straightened it.

My point was not to debate whether or not his mother should have allowed them to straighten the hair. I mean, honestly again, it looked better curly to me.... my point was to say that his GENDER shouldn't factor into the length his parents allow his hair to grow to... Or the style in which they choose to keep it. Curly or straight its their choice and his GENDER has nothing to do with it.

p.s. with hair THAT beautiful and thick... its OBVIOUS that the parents are not straightening the child's hair on a regular basis... it looks like its probably just a shtick for the video's sake.

Last edited:

I have a problem with a little boy being groomed the way you would groom a girl. If they want to ponytail or braid it, fine. But this, to me notes a desire to feminize this little boy.

Male grooming is getting an edge up, a hair cut, or getting your cornrows re-done, not flat ironing and curling. This video reminded me of the 90's ninja trend of men walking around with rollers in their head.

I have a problem with a little boy being groomed the way you would groom a girl. If they want to ponytail or braid it, fine. But this, to me notes a desire to feminize this little boy.

Male grooming is getting an edge up, a hair cut, or getting your cornrows re-done, not flat ironing and curling. This video reminded me of the 90's ninja trend of men walking around with rollers in their head.

Define "how you would groom a girl" though... straight hair is not a solely female trait lol...

Define "how you would groom a girl" though... straight hair is not a solely female trait lol...

Pressing combs, flat-irons, curling irons, hair rollers, barettes (which I've also seen little boys in), single plaits, etc... Let's be real, being born with straight hair is not the same as flat-ironing someone's hair to be straight. No mathematics involved. I don't see white boys and Hispanic boys and Asian boys with straight, long hair in their mama's kitchen getting Shirley Temple curls and all these other effeminate things done to their hair like I see many AA boys. Then we wonder why these dudes can't manage to pull their pants up but that's another topic.

In the words of Whitney Houston, "hell to the naw!" :nono::nono::nono:

I don't mind the long hair, but the pressing goes too far.

In additon the the Indian hair comment and "moister", did anyone else notice "silkey" and the new verb "combinate"? :lachen:

I would never.
I don't even think twists look right on boys.
and box braids....
cornrows i can deal with.
other styles just seem too feminine

Um .... 1) What's up with the pink and purple products? 2) That child's hair would look beautiful anyway without those products 3) Can I have his hair? .... and last but not least 4) Hell to the NAW would I ever do a press and curl on my son's hair.

:lachen::lachen::lachen: the boys face when that lady was rubbing the cream through his hair :lachen: but hell nahhhh im not doing that to any boy child of mine.

I would never press a boys hair, and I'm WAY over guys wearing braids and having long hair. but they obviously used him as a model to sell their overpriced product because his hair is blissfully delightful. basically.."buy our product and you too can have hair like this!" they didnt care if the model was male or female...just that the hair was fabulous...AND the narrator kept saying "guys and girls, you can use this creme to blah blah blah" this was all sales.

I did not watch the Video.

But.....no I would not press or curl my son's hair nor my daughters.

For some reason this reminds me of an acquaintance that had both of her sons ears pierced.

I would not press and curl a boys hair, but a boy having long hair shouldn't be as crazy as a girl shaving her head or cutting it really short. His curly hair is beautiful btw!

No I would not

I can't see youtube at work but I am not putting a flat iron, hot comb or any other straightening tool to my sons head

Back