Would you marry your friends DH?

Wheew! I've had a lot happen these past two weeks.

My friend who is African is married to an man that still lives in Africa (they were married in Africa after she came to America), problem is, she wants him to move to America with her, but says that he will not be able to work and the paper work (she is her on a visa) will take so long and asked me if I would marry him, she says that it would only be for about 1yr , get a divorce and she would pay me $3k upfront. She wanted me to talk it over with my SO and give her an answer.

I politely told her no, I could not do that. My SO was definately against it.
The next man I marry is going to be my husband and my husband only.

How many of you would do this for a friend or in general so someone can have citizenship?

Whoa!!!! I don't think that's a smart idea @ all :nono: If the three of you got caught, they could both get deported and you could recieve time in jail/prison. I'm almost sure she knew that...if she is a true friend she wouldn't even think of putting you in that kind of predicament. Plus if you were to get married, you two would have to live in the same residence...don't want to live w/ a complete stranger do you?

You handled that very well :yep:

I thought it would be easier to get a visa for your spouse if you already had yours. My mother was able to get one after my father got his and moved to the states.

Last edited:
Sadly, I know of 2 people that just did this :nono: Honey, they took that 5'G's

Please, I'm to scary to do something like that. You couldn't pay me. Plus, it's to much trouble. Shoot my conscience wouldn't allow me I probably would report myself to the law.

Last edited:
No. He could come over here, divorce you, get spousal support, etc. Dont be boo boo the fool.

Exactly!! I am starting to slowly but surely get things in order as far as my business and I'm not paying no one anything! Plus, I have an SO, what if he wanted to get married and here I am married to this other knuckle head missing out, and it could take longer than 1 year.

From my understanding she got over here because of a lottery, so I guess she doesn't have a visa.

Sadly, I know of 2 people that just did this :nono: Honey, they took that 5'G's

Please, I'm to scary to do something like that. You couldn't pay me. Plus, it's to much trouble. Shoot my conscience wouldn't allow me I probably would report myself to the law.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: I'm scary too, but I don't think I would report myself. But I would probably bust myself up by accident.

Dont do it. . its not only stupid and creepy but you could get in a whole lot of legal trouble with the government if you get caught.

A side note be careful about dating foreign men who dont have permanent residency card or citizenship because ALOT of them play that get a visa marry a citizen and then leave her game.

Hell no. Its fraud and god knows if you could really trust these people. Plus it may take longer than a year.....who needs the stress. Let them work it on their own. With time they will both be able to be here together and have the American dream...without your help hopefully.

My friend who is African is married to an man that still lives in Africa (they were married in Africa after she came to America), problem is, she wants him to move to America with her, but says that he will not be able to work and the paper work (she is her on a visa) will take so long and asked me if I would marry him, she says that it would only be for about 1yr , get a divorce and she would pay me $3k upfront. She wanted me to talk it over with my SO and give her an answer.

How many of you would do this for a friend or in general so someone can have citizenship?

Please. It doesn't take one year. That is total B.S.

Not to mention, if you get in trouble for this, this is a felony!!

Also, if you were to get into arrangements like this, it is best to do so for single persons, you being single yourself and have no romantic relationship.

The INS will expect the two of you to live together and have intimate knowledge about your likes/dislikes and routines. That ish will not go down without it turning into "you stole my man."

So, as hinted above, I would not do this. period.

No, I would never do it!
I reason the way you do - the only person I'm getting married to is my SO. :yep:
It's not right towards your SO if he says no. It's criminal. There's nothing right about it...

This is so funny... I've been asked to put myself in this kind of mess twice before. Not to help a friends (directly), but to help someone I didn't even know :look:. Once for 10,000 pounds (almost $20,000) and then another time for 13,000 pounds (over $25,000). This was when I was a teenager. Even at this young, broke-a$$ age I wasn't stupid enough to do it. No amount of money is worth being deceitful, possibly getting a criminal record, and/or having all kinds of other problems. Dang, I'm still broke, but you wouldn't get me to do something like this for ANYONE :nono:.

is she really your friend??:nono:
Sorrry but I'm obliged to ask because what she asked is dangerous

Exactly!! I am starting to slowly but surely get things in order as far as my business and I'm not paying no one anything! Plus, I have an SO, what if he wanted to get married and here I am married to this other knuckle head missing out, and it could take longer than 1 year.

From my understanding she got over here because of a lottery, so I guess she doesn't have a visa.

I'm mad you said "other" knuckle head. :lachen:I guess one is enough for you, huh?

As you know, this is illegal. If caught, you will suffer the most. I have heard of people doing it but they were offered A LOT more than 3K. There are too many risks to consider it; i.e. jail time, fines and your credit.

They need to pursue citizenship the legal way.

If she was afford the lottery, then she needs to exercise some patience. The lottery and obtaining a visa are different from my understanding. The lottery is connected to citizenship. He needs to visit the consulate to figure out what needs to be done the legal way.

Don't do it. You risk going to jail and he would be deported if you get caught. It's far more difficult to do now than prior to 9/11. Prior to then I know of a few people who made $5K - $10K to marry for citizenship purposes. The home visits and interviews were not as difficult as they are now.

I know a man who did this for his long time girlfriend recently though (after 9/11). He married her sister to get the sister into the US. Well, he ended up bringining his new WIFE to our wedding and the old GF (sister) is out of the picture.:lachen: The frequent home visits and interviews led them to really live together and I guess to do other things too. :lachen:

WTH?

LOL

I thought this thread was going to be more along the lines of "do you think your friends DH is marriage material."

I already had this long spheel ready about "well theyre good for them I guess but the only man I'd ever marry is the one I married, and I don't think about wheter I'd be or have ever been with any of my friends men and they better not think that way about mine.... blah, blah blah.

But to answer the question posed. "Heyal Naw!" Thats waaaaay too much drama and, uhm...it's illegal.

WTH?

LOL

I thought this thread was going to be more along the lines of "do you think your friends DH is marriage material."

I already had this long spheel ready about "well theyre good for them I guess but the only man I'd ever marry is the one I married, and I don't think about wheter I'd be or have ever been with any of my friends men and they better not think that way about mine.... blah, blah blah.

But to answer the question posed. "Heyal Naw!" Thats waaaaay too much drama and, uhm...it's illegal.

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Tell me about it.

Congratulations on your marriage!!! TO YOUR MAN! :lachen:

Back