Would it be ghetto, excuse me ratchet to....

Lilmama1011

Bring my curl formers to do a client's hair? She is natural and stated she only straightens her hair once or twice a year. I was thinking about the next time letting her try the curl formers and sit under the dryer so she will have a option. Also what other styles can I do to a client's hair that is natural other than braids, because I'm working on perfecting that. I can "corn roll" or "french braid"but slowly and you can tell it doesn't come naturally.

You shouldn't use your personal items on any clients head.

If you purchase a set of curlformers for your school kit then no that would not be unprofessional.

You shouldn't use your personal items on any clients head.

If you purchase a set of curlformers for your school kit then no that would not be unprofessional.

bklynbornNbred they most likely don't even know what a curl former is lol. And I don't like majority of the stuff they gave us in the darn kit. It's items you know you will not have the whole duration of school. Also I can disinfectant them because I'm really not feeling them for my hair anymore. I had them for a while and still don't absolutely love them. But I know on natural hair they will be amazed at how straight it has gotten without using direct heat.

Lilmama1011
Whether you buy a set specifically for clients or not, I like the way you are thinking regarding natural hair and versatility styling. If only I were confident there were more stylists out here who were thinking the same way, I might venture into a salon sooner than I plan to.

Last edited:
I would be thrilled as a client if my stylist bought in "sanitized" curl formers. I hate doing them myself and would gladly pay for someone else to do it for me lol. I would double check with the supervisor first just in case.
Have you ever done a curlformer set on natural hair? IMHO I found it to be a completely different install experience then when I was relaxed. I went from using 40 to 80 curlformers and I had to be super careful about my type 4 hair getting entangled in the netting. Just a heads up :)
Have you done twists/twist outs on your clients? Or cocoon curls, finger coils, ect? I'm a plane jane when it comes to styling my own natural hair so hopefully someone else has better ideas.

I answered question that you asked. If you're not going to use anymore then disinfect and add to your kit but you probably still need to purchase some more just to have enough for your client kit. You can't start someone's head then say oops I ran out. If after practice you decide you like again then you need a separate set for personal use.

Im also licensed and often do natural hair. Have you tried a bantu knot out? They can give similar results to curl formers.

I would be thrilled as a client if my stylist bought in "sanitized" curl formers. I hate doing them myself and would gladly pay for someone else to do it for me lol. I would double check with the supervisor first just in case.
Have you ever done a curlformer set on natural hair? IMHO I found it to be a completely different install experience then when I was relaxed. I went from using 40 to 80 curlformers and I had to be super careful about my type 4 hair getting entangled in the netting. Just a heads up :)
Have you done twists/twist outs on your clients? Or cocoon curls, finger coils, ect? I'm a plane jane when it comes to styling my own natural hair so hopefully someone else has better ideas.

No, all I have done is straightened natural hair. Someone just reminded me I could do flexi rods . I forgot, I barely see them used here overtherainbow

As a licensed cosmetologist, I'll tell you that there is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with bringing your curl formers from home to use on your clients. As long as they are properly sanitized and disinfected, it doesn't matter whether they were originally for personal use or not. All tools stylists use in the salon have once been used on someone else. That's exactly the point of sanitation and disinfection. Otherwise, you would have to use disposable tools. *eyeroll* People are so extreme. You're fine.

Last edited:
Back