Please help!! Would it be unrealistic for me to go natural?

brittle_hair, if you have kinky hair, and if you have fine strands, I don't think you'll ever have "a lot less shrinkage"

This was my shrinkage when I had shoulder length hair:
Shrinkage-vi.jpg

This is my shrinkage when I have APL hair:
Shrinkage2010-vi.jpg

My idol Sera has WL-HBL natural 4B hair but her hair shrinks to shoulder. So yeah, some people don't get major hang as their hair grows if it isn't heavy enough for that to make a difference.

The only way for those of us with fine kinky hair to avoid having shrinkage is if we stretch it in some style and then not allow it to get wet. So braid-outs, twist-outs, banding, blowdry or flat iron may be the methods to the madness for you. Just wanted to mention this so you can be prepared and not disappointed. Look for people with your hair type and notice that they get hang-time when they wear stretched styles to prepare their hair.

Nonie wow - to that shrinkage! For some reason I thought the shrinkage at APL would at least make it look like SL... oh well, will see how I happy I am with my hair once I have more length (when blown out) if all else fails may have to BKT..

Good luck OP on whatever you choose to do, but I think in the meantime, heat protectant needs to be your new best friend!

Last edited:
OP, you may want to check out the heat training thread. It will help you keep your natural hair healthy if you plan on wearing it in straight styles most of the time. Remember, there are many ways to be natural. If chemicals are breaking off your hair you should leave them alone. It took me way too long to realize that no matter what I did me and a relaxer would never be friends. Not everyone goes natural to embrace their natural texture.

Back