With the presence of weave, is long hair taken for granted?

RegaLady

I was looking around in the store today, and I noticed a lady with WL hair or weave:look:. I wasn't sure if it was her hair or not, but I imagined that it could have been. Now let me say that I couldn't care less if people wear weave or not, but my initial response to her hair was very disregarding. It is like even if I see a black woman with real long hair, I don't seem to get very impressed, maybe because of the abundance of long weave out there. I almost have a 'seen one, seen them all', kind of feeling. It's like really long hair that is done starts to look like a very pretty weave job:ohwell:.Has anyone felt like this?

its a shame but I do

When I dream about the day I reach WL, I feel a little disappointed because after all my hard work, many if not most people will think its a weave anyway.

I'm the opposite. Because so many women are wearing weaves, when I see a woman with real hair that is long (BSL or longer) I am impressed and encouraged that I too can have long hair if I keep working at it. But I do understand that I once it is long that everyone will think it is a weave, so that is a bummer.

Oh, and let me put out my disclaimer, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a weave, it's my number one protective style.

Last edited:
its a shame but I do

When I dream about the day I reach WL, I feel a little disappointed because after all my hard work, many if not most people will think its a weave anyway.

When I was mid-back length in high school people always asked me if it was a weave...they assumed it was until I showed them my scalp. I only got offended when they tried to run their fingers through my hair while asking me the question...:nono::nono::nono:...If I didn't follow you on your last two trips to the restroom and OBSERVE you wash your hands properly you will pull back a nub, while I train my evil eyebrow on you (sorry a little off topic...lol).

But yeah,...if you are proud of it, when you reach there, don't be afraid to prove it to them...you won't have anything (tracks) to hide.

People have always thought my hair looked like weave. It happened all the time when I was relaxed (even if it was just around shoulder length). My hair was really healthy, shiny, and had a lot of movement (esp. fresh from the salon). Even people who knew it was my hair told me it looked like a weave, so I can just imagine the people who didn't know me.

I just tried to take it as a compliment. I got the impression that it was supposed to be a good thing--and not them saying it looked like I had a bad weave job, lol. So I guess by now I don't care if people think my hair is a weave when I wear it straight or that I have a curly wig on. As long as I like my hair that's all that matters to me.

Last edited:
I definitely believe that it is taken for granted. Black women are more known for their weave and outrageous hairstyles than the upkeep of natural long hair. People have always assumed that I wore a wig or extensions and I didnt resort to either until about 3 years ago. The reason being, I succumbed to peer pressure. I love a good weave DONE RIGHT, but I think most people view long natural hair as plain and boring and view the person as someone who doesn't take risks.. I love my hair, it doesnt define me. I wish people could understand how much work goes into maintaining a head full of hair.

i don't take it for granted. i can spot a weave 99% of the time.

I know that's right. With all the weaves and lacefronts out there they still can't imitate the real thing. Thats why they make shirts that say "Yes my hair is real" :lachen:

...and not to mention. you can wear real hair so differently than you can wear weave. If someone is not showing scalp via a part, its in the "maybe weave" category. come on, a real ponytail is way different that a weave pulled up in a ponytail.

That thought crossed my mind a few times too. But at the end of the day, we all know there is a huge difference between the weaves, and ladies who grew their own. Do you and wear the weaves, but...... It kills me when women try to make themselves feel better or belittle a woman with her own hair by saying, "Its mine, I bought it."

WHATEV.....!!!

So why do people go out of their way to yank, peek, and act a fool, tripping over themselves trying to find out if ALL of it is yours.

I didn't know there were weaves that long . mid back yes, but I hardly ever see black women with waist length hair...PERIOD (SADLY)

...and not to mention. you can wear real hair so differently than you can wear weave. If someone is not showing scalp via a part, its in the "maybe weave" category. come on, a real ponytail is way different that a weave pulled up in a ponytail.

I beg to differ on this one! I have been wearing tracks for bulk for the past 2 years and no-one but my intimate circle of family, friends and LHCF knows that it isn't mine. You would be surprised at how skilled some beauticians are! I can wear my hair half up and half down showing a part...I can even run my fingers through my hair and you would never know the difference. Now...I only have 3 tracks...a full head weave is a different story....:yep:

I beg to differ on this one! I have been wearing tracks for bulk for the past 2 years and no-one but my intimate circle of family, friends and LHCF knows that it isn't mine. You would be surprised at how skilled some beauticians are! I can wear my hair half up and half down showing a part...I can even run my fingers through my hair and you would never know the difference. Now...I only have 3 tracks...a full head weave is a different story....:yep:
I have seen some weave masters:yep:. I even see some with people putting their hair all in a ponytail.

Last edited:
Many people that wear weaves (for length purposes) are wearing them because they don't realize that they have the power to grow their own. As long as people are still tugging on strangers hair and trying to feel all up in someone elses scalp, your own long hair will never be played out.

I have seen some weave masters:yep:. I even say some with people putting their hair all in a ponytail.

Co-signing. I have seen a friend of mine, swim in a pool, shake all the water out of her weave and pull it up in a ponytail while it was wet, and yes it was a weave.

I don't think so. It's fake no matter how you look at it. Someone's long healthy real hair will always be better than weave.

Even though it's not politically correct to say so I assume that a black woman with waist length hair has a weave unless I can see 2 or more sections of scalp.

I don't know why it upsets people so much. Weave is a billion dollar enterprise, that's alot of fake hair being sold with multiple pit stops in the hood.

Sorry, but when I go to alltheparties.com and see a club full of black women all of whom are wearing their hair from apl to tailbone I'd be a damn fool to assume that everything I see is real.

Co-signing. I have seen a friend of mine, swim in a pool, shake all the water out of her weave and pull it up in a ponytail while it was wet, and yes it was a weave.

Yep...I wear mine in a ponytail all the time...even with wisps of hair falling and it looks like all mine...(no telltale bulkiness AT ALL).

I prefer real long hair than a weave. I see so many weaves it's getting darn ridiculous. I mean it makes me wonder do you hate your real hair so much that you have to wear a weave 365?

I don't plan on wearing my hair down in public once it's long... but I know that if I did, some people would probably think it's weave. :ohwell: It won't stop me from reaching classic length, though.

I agree when it comes to certain styles (like wearing it simply down)... but there are certain styles I could never pull of with a weave (unless I had a Beyonce type lace wig).. like a **high** pony tail where the ends brush my back... or some complicated style as such... thats when real hair is appreciated. :yep:

Last edited:
I don't think real "long" hair is taken for granted and I wear weaves as my protective style 99.9% of the time...Although, I want longer hair I don't see my real hair as something for other to "appreciate" it's for me! I don't think a girl rockin a 20" weave impedes on my dedication to MBL hair...

Back