With the presence of weave, is long hair taken for granted?

I know *I* think real hair is wayyyyyyy better... I'd be naive to think that once I get my hair to waist length (maybe a little longer :o) ppl won't think it's weave. Which kinda annoys me, cuz part of the fun of having it is having ppl know and acknowledge that you have something most ppl don't- not you have something most ppl BOUGHT.

I do think we all prefer real to fake (clearly) but to the OPs actual question, I think weaves make it easy for many to assume any black woman with back and booty length hair is faking it.

Unless it's that good hair and she's light skin or looks like "she got indian in her". :yep:

:lachen:

Last edited:
I prefer real long hair than a weave. I see so many weaves it's getting darn ridiculous. I mean it makes me wonder do you hate your real hair so much that you have to wear a weave 365?
I don't necessarily think that everyone wearing a weave hates their "real" hair...For some it's just for fun, for others it's a protective style, for others for fashion, for other it's something else...

Why does everyone equate self-hatred to weaves? I personally, don't take my hair or anyone elses hair that seriously and I defintely know I am not in the place to slap a "self hate" label on someone...Self hatred comes in all shapes, hair types, races, social classes, etc...and is normally associated with a mental illness.

...and not to mention. you can wear real hair so differently than you can wear weave. If someone is not showing scalp via a part, its in the "maybe weave" category. come on, a real ponytail is way different that a weave pulled up in a ponytail.

your siggy says natural with relaxed bangs? Can I see?

STORY ALERT. STORY ALERT.

No it's not taken for granted, because the people with the long hair will let you know. lol. Well some of the people.

I was in starbucks w/ my short nappy twist out studying...college hoody, sweats, tennis *The Official Uniform Of Finals Week*. I left my books to get something to drink and guess who is in front of me? A young lady with waist or probably hip length hair. I don't stare at anyone ..I don't even look people in their face when I'm walking or moving through a crowd.

So it was kind of a glance and I turned my attention elsewhere to intentionally make sure I was not staring. Because folks always get the wrong idea. But, I had to keep looking front too, to make sure I got the register when signaled too and I still hadn't decided on my drink.

Why did this female decide that for some reason I was jealous and started moving her hair and swining it kind of? Like screaming in body language YES IT IS ALL MINE. JEALOUS? :lachen:

I thought little girl. It ain't that serious. I didn't know if she did that all the time, if it was because I was nappy, or if she had some other complex ignorant reason. But, if she likes it than I love it. I was going to get on here and say I spoted a hip length sista in Starbucks her hair was shiny in beautiful eventhough I only gotta glance. But, after that incident I was like umm that female needs no shout out. Her attitude was stank.

Last edited:
Very interesting...:grin:! Also when I kinda mentioned to my sister that I was growing my hair out, she would respond, "Just buy a weave!":look:.I dunno, most people prefer it real. I know I do:grin:. I think a feeling of pride comes when your hair is real, whether its long or short:yep:.

I still presume BSL and WL hair is weave....but I'd never ask the person. I wore a flawless strand by strand weave for about a year (had it redone a few times in that year) and I purposely wore styles that showed my scalp. lol lol lol I even wore pigtails a couple of times.

It was entertaining to listen to some of the conversations that other women would have regarding whether or not my hair was weave. A man even complimented me for about 10 minutes at a fast food restaurant for growing out "my hair" since so many "of our women don't let their hair grow out." I didn't bother to tell him that it was a fusion weave. lol lol It was nearly WL weave - 18 inches and cut in layers.

Well, I think it is taken for granted. . .but I don't like that term in this situation. No one is required to appreciate my hair no matter how much work I put into it.

I am growing my hair out for my star player (gotta love Katt Williams), so I really don't care if anyone thinks it's weave or not. It doesn't make me feel disappointed that other ppl will assume it's fake. It will probably be annoying all the damn weave checks/stares I'll get, but oh well. They will be okayyyy.

If anything, it'll just let me know I did a good job maintaining it. . .as long as they think it's a good weave job :lachen: If not, back to the drawing board!

Last edited:
Back