What makes a good weave and weave hair?

fluffylocks

Example-kendra from bad girls club, I thought she had a really good weave untill I started hearing people say it was horrible and tacky

And I heard a couple of comments about weave hair shedding everywhere as a joke-

So what makes a "good" weave, and hair?

The only things I can think of is- how shiny vs real the hair looks, how long it lasts, how good your hair is blending with the weave, and how bulky your hair looks/if you can see where any tracks or braids are

Thanks for asking. Like i thought Bootz from flavor of love had a good weave, because it blended well, had a believable texture and shine and then i hear people saying it looked horrid. I also thought about the believale thickness as well, like there is only so much hair one person can have on their head.

Girlllllll Kendra weave was busted :lachen: you could see the track sitting on top of her head. It was shedding AND you could tell it was a weave. Her main hair, edges and sides did not match the texture of that weave. That’s why it was bad.

A GOOD weave (even though I don’t wear any I still know) should...
1. Be as close to your texture (natural or relaxed) as possible (As one comedian said "You can't look like Florida Evans in the front and Pocahontas in the back") lol.
2. Have no exposed tracks, thread, braid lines, glue, etc.
3. Be a full realistic thickness (not to thin not to bulky).
4. Keep your baby hurrs, edges, nape and side burns in tact. They need to blend well

Thanks for asking. Like i thought Bootz from flavor of love had a good weave, because it blended well, had a believable texture and shine and then i hear people saying it looked horrid. I also thought about the believale thickness as well, like there is only so much hair one person can have on their head.

I know LOL
Girlllllll Kendra weave was busted :lachen: you could see the track sitting on top of her head. It was shedding AND you could tell it was a weave. Her main hair, edges and sides did not match the texture of that weave. That’s why it was bad.

A GOOD weave (even though I don’t wear any I still know) should...
1. Be as close to your texture (natural or relaxed) as possible (As one comedian said "You can't look like Florida Evans in the front and Pocahontas in the back") lol.
2. Have no exposed tracks, thread, braid lines, glue, etc.
3. Be a full realistic thickness (not to thin not to bulky).
4. Keep your baby hurrs, edges, nape and side burns in tact. They need to blend well

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Thanks--I was under the impression that basically everyone can tell if you have a weave/that part is non important, so its about making sure it stays looking nice, and getting it done in a good style- "looks good for a weave"
But a good weave is about having it look as real as possible

and that comes from blending, getting it done in a way where you cant see the tracks and threads and stuff, and a nice hair texture and thickness

So about the shedding

Horrible weave hair sheds alot? I had some indique and I was so confused, when I saw shedding hairs when i combed it, I didnt know about that--

You want to get weave hair that doesnt shed alot so it stays thick, or so you can re-use it, or just because its tacky to have your hair shedding around the place?

Is the problem when it sheds when your not messing with it, or how much it sheds?

You shouldn't be able to tell right away that it is a weave. To me, Ediese and Gabrielle Union are both good examples of what hair weaves should look like.

A good weave should require at least 10 minutes of debating as to whether or not your hair is a weave.

ITA w/boingboing entire post.

It should NOT look "good for a weave" It should look like a nice hairstyle in general.

Last edited:
1. Quality Hair - Hair needs to be good quality and blend with your natural texture if you have hair left out
2. Good Foundation/Install - Braids and thread should be secure without being too tight. No tracks loose or visible.
3. Realistic - It has to look believeable
4. Style - There needs to be some type of style/shape to the weave. A good cut will give it movement and allow the hair to fall naturally. Also it needs to be styled (this could mean a variety of things. The type of hair installed will dictate styling.)

I know LOL

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Thanks--I was under the impression that basically everyone can tell if you have a weave/that part is non important, so its about making sure it stays looking nice, and getting it done in a good style- "looks good for a weave"
But a good weave is about having it look as real as possible

and that comes from blending, getting it done in a way where you cant see the tracks and threads and stuff, and a nice hair texture and thickness

So about the shedding

Horrible weave hair sheds alot? I had some indique and I was so confused, when I saw shedding hairs when i combed it, I didnt know about that--

You want to get weave hair that doesnt shed alot so it stays thick, or so you can re-use it, or just because its tacky to have your hair shedding around the place?

Is the problem when it sheds when your not messing with it, or how much it sheds?

Cheap hair normally sheds like a dog. :look: I think the kinkier hair sheds more because it requires more detangling and brushing. But there are ways you can seal the wefts to reduce shedding.

But you don't want it to shed for a number of reasons. One - who wants to clean up all that nasty shed hair? Two - your weave will thin out considerably over time which will make it look different. It could also lead to tracks showing through. Three - If it thins out too much you can't reuse it and your money went to waste.

Last edited:
Back