Votes: 30 5.7%
  • Back

Votes: 347 65.5%
  • Front

Votes: 126 23.8%
  • Same Texture All Over

Votes: 7 1.3%

• Total voters
I don't remember if I answered this thread or not...
I have 3b in the nape area. The only reason why it frustrates me is because the rest of the curls above it is 3C and shorter. So when I do a wash and go it looks like a mullet :grin:

When I flatiron it looks fine. There's nothing I can do about it so I just let it be. Its very soft and more wavy than curly. I almost accidentally cut it off a few weeks after the BC because I thought it was relaxed hair. The very front of my hair is more wirey and 4a. I have three crazy textures on my hair too. In a ponytail you can't tell so :ohwell: I just leave it alone.

WHY is it like this? I thought it was cuz I'm crazy :spinning:

^^^^^^

That's me. Much looser around the perimeter of my head (crown, edges), with mostly 3b, 3c most everywhere else except for crown, which is 4a.

my hair is like a gradient. very loose at the crown and it gets tighter going down in all directions. my whole hair line is all very tight 4a. i cant stand it at times.

This thread trips me out. My beautician used to apply my relaxers to the back first. But I asked my parents about their hair types, and my mom's hair is loosest in the back as well, so, I don't know if the relaxer affected my follicles. Unless its affect on my mom's scalp got passed down to me.

Eta: Lol, my mom used to say that she wished she could turn her whole scalp around so the loose "pretty" hair would be in the front where people could see.

But this sure kills the idea that the "kitchen" is the "nappiest" part of ALL black people's heads. I used to think that statement was as true at 2+2=4.

Eta (again): Here's a picture of my head.

105_0239-vi.jpg
]

Last edited:
The loosest part of my hair is my crown. I think that it may be 3c or looser. My nape and my front edges are the tightest. They are mainly 4b.

omg if I was to start to question why...I think id loose it. I have different patches of hair pretty much everywhere . My little brother too hes overall a 3c with a hint of 4a and the third of his hair in the back is a 3a...and yes it looks weird! Ive never figured it out if someone has the answer it would be really nice to share.

I have the same problem, I usually trim that area because it looks so strange compared to the rest of my hair.

I have almost bone straight hair at the back of my head. It is weird like I never have new growth in that area. My mom has the same patch except hers is silky. The rest of my hair is very 4b

I read a few articles in a journal of dermatology about hair. One of them did talk about differing thicknesses in different parts of the head for different groups of people. I can't remember all the details, but I think for Africans the center grew in the thickest while for Europeans it was the back section. But I do remember the group sizes they tested were not very big and I think all the African subjects came from one area and the same for the Europeans and I can't remember what they said about the Asian subjects at all there. All I remember about them is it was the one group where men did seem to grow faster than women.

I think what you read is true. This bothered me also, and I asked my stylist about why I have different textures...you know what she asked me, if I was mixed?! I am, so she stated that that's why I have different textures; my hair "took" in all those races (My mother is from Belize and is mixed with Indian and her father is from Honduras; My father is from Alabama, and has Indian in his family as well, he has better hair than my mother though).

So, ladies, I do believe that our different textures and because of the mix of race that we are. Even different "Blacks" is a mixture. :yep:

BTW, my hair is 4a all over except for the edges and back. They're like 3z. :lachen:The middle is thicker and coarser than other part of my head. Even at 6 weeks the back of my head is soft and a bit wavy.

Yea... the back of my head has giant Shirley Temple curls, but the middle/front is wavy and the edges are uuh. I don't even know.

i didn't know so many had this problem. i have a 2x3 patch of 3 something in the back. my side edges are 4a'ish and near my forehead is 4b. the top is also 4b and thinner.

it is so weird and makes it very hard to relax. i have to relax in a donut pattern, lol

my daughter's hair is mixed also. she has 3c'ish in the front and a patch of 4 something in the bake. she's still young so it may change but it's weird when i wash her hair. half is straight, the other half is kinky. lol

Great question...I have always wondered...my nape is a loose like a 3b texture and very soft and doesnt get very dry like the rest of my hair. My crown is the most dry 4a texture but still very defined curl pattern , rest of hair 3c. I would really like to know the scientific explanation of why....

Dang, everybody's is in the back. I always gotta be the oddball:ohwell::grin:. Mine is in the front. My nape is tighter and more unruly. It's like a totally different head of hair. My curl pattern being like this makes my wash n' go's sit kinda funny because the back shrinks up more and makes the other hair sit up and out, lol. I'd much rather the looser texture be in the back or at least for it to all be uniform.

My front is my loosest section to (like 2c/3a) the back is mostly 3c/4a with some 3b scattered randomly.....you could literally part my hair in half and it would look like 2 totally different heads. I don't really like either section and wish it were all one or the other. The back requires heavier products that way the front section down if the two sides come in contact :spinning:

My hair is super loose in the nape. My kitchen gets frizzy but that's about it. I don't even relax it. No point. HOWEVER, my crown is all tight curls. My sides are frizzy waves and my front (forehead area) is super kinky.

I have hair EXACTLY like my mother. I think genetics are somewhere involved...

my losest texture is above and behind my ears, its even looser than the back I didn't tick anything as I wasn't sure which option was the most appropriate

My front is my loosest section to (like 2c/3a) the back is mostly 3c/4a with some 3b scattered randomly.....you could literally part my hair in half and it would look like 2 totally different heads. I don't really like either section and wish it were all one or the other. The back requires heavier products that way the front section down if the two sides come in contact :spinning:
Same here! See the hair hanging down in the front of my siggy...it's loose almost like a wave. Well the nape.....I'll just have to take a pic of that:nono:. I have to treat it totally different than the rest of my hair. It never seems to stay moisturized and it's always frizzy and brittle. I sometimes twist it at night to help keep the moisture in and it helps.

My nap and sides are a looser texture and also finer. My puffs look crazy as hell cuz the top part sticks out as the bottom hangs. My nape also grows the fastest, is the frizziest, shrinks the most, and retains the most length.

Same here! See the hair hanging down in the front of my siggy...it's loose almost like a wave. Well the nape.....I'll just have to take a pic of that:nono:. I have to treat it totally different than the rest of my hair. It never seems to stay moisturized and it's always frizzy and brittle. I sometimes twist it at night to help keep the moisture in and it helps.

This is definitely the case with mine...it's actually the reason why I have to trim consistently or else breakage and splitting will get out of CONTROL. I actually have to scrunch my front and crown sections so that it at least matches. It it even feels weird- I run my hands through my curls or straight hair and it will feel smooth, but that section will feel like wiry straw:ohwell:

i just stopped trying with my hair...the front just waves and doesn't really shrink (which was really awkward the first few months after i BC'd), the left and right sides are 3c but the right side is extra silky and shiny, the nape is 3b...and the crown is a tight 4a.

thank goodness all of it likes conditioner.

Back