Votes: 30 5.7%
  • Back

Votes: 347 65.5%
  • Front

Votes: 126 23.8%
  • Same Texture All Over

Votes: 7 1.3%

• Total voters
I have been natural since 2004. The back of my hair has big silky curls as opposed to the rest of my hair. I am beginning to think that the back of my hair is more protected from exposure. When I put my hair in a bun or pony tail, I really don't pull on the back of my hair the way I do the rest. When I wear it down, it is covered by the rest of my hair. Who knows, really?:ohwell:

Hey dork! I have no idea why I also have type 3 hair in the back and type 6 in the front and middle (look at my fotki album to see what I am talking about). I've always been told by naturals that they have different hair all over their hair also. They usually use some type of comb on their hair to make it blend... but how in the world am I going to blend Type 3 with type 6? LOL!

Vive la resistance, thegirltolove.

Hey dork! I have no idea why I also have type 3 hair in the back and type 6 in the front and middle (look at my fotki album to see what I am talking about). I've always been told by naturals that they have different hair all over their hair also. They usually use some type of comb on their hair to make it blend... but how in the world am I going to blend Type 3 with type 6? LOL!

Vive la resistance, thegirltolove.

See, this is why some folks should not be allowed to purchase computers... LOL. Hey Anky!

Please tell me more about these combs to blend the textures.... I think I might have some type 6 around my edges as well...:look:.

I have been natural since 2004. The back of my hair has big silky curls as opposed to the rest of my hair. I am beginning to think that the back of my hair is more protected from exposure. When I put my hair in a bun or pony tail, I really don't pull on the back of my hair the way I do the rest. When I wear it down, it is covered by the rest of my hair. Who knows, really?:ohwell:

You know, I was thinking the same thing. I can understand how this could affect the hair growing longer than the rest and maybe being healthier than the more exposed hair, but I don't see how it could affect the curl pattern of the hair. I definitely see how it could affect the health of the hair.:yep:

I have no idea why it is can't help you there. I'd like to know too. Me and my mum have 3c at the back of our heads too and 4a at the top and sides. No clue why.

The loosest texture on my head is in the front. The back I would say is a 3/c. The front and middle are just waves...:nono:

I have come to terms that my hair... is as psychotic as I am :spinning: 3a/b/c and 4a..... All in my head and thy form cliques! The 3a and some 3b in the front on the right, then the 3b and 3c on the left and in the crown, more 3c in the back and some 4a in the back on the left. A HOT MESS!

I have come to terms that my hair... is as psychotic as I am :spinning: 3a/b/c and 4a..... All in my head and thy form cliques! The 3a and some 3b in the front on the right, then the 3b and 3c on the left and in the crown, more 3c in the back and some 4a in the back on the left. A HOT MESS!

I feel the same way about my hair.....just all over the place!

I was also wondering....

Does anyone have a piece like I do in the front of my head that doesn't even think about curling? I initially thought that maybe it was because I pull my hair pack everyday (military), so maybe it was "trained" to be straight.

It's weird because before I decided to grow it out natural, I noticed that the crown always came out extra straight and smooth when flatironing.
Maybe it is just not meant to curl. :ohwell:

My head is more like a bullseye. The center being the crown has 4b, the next "ring" has 4a which is the biggest "band" of hair, then the next "ring" is the hairline and nape which is like 3c. I just deal with it...

Thanks for bumping, I can never get enough of talking about all of these textures in my head!!! My hair is like Me, myself and Irene...

I'm the total opposite, the front of my hair has the loosest curls (3c waves) while the side has bigger curls (3c spirals), the back of my hair has the 4a spirals that are really thick, so wngs are near impossible for me because the back of my hair just frizzes up.

Man, this topic is just begging for a poll. :look: You know, where's your looser texture?
Center
Front
Back
Sides
Combo
All same texture

And then one in the children's forum to see if the adults mirror the children. And then one to ask which part of your head you always put the relaxer on first. Only because I was reading somewhere recently how someone said the chem burn scarring she had on her scalp in some spots from relaxers had straight hair growing out of it and she was amazed hair was still growing there at all. It just made me wonder if repeated chemical applications could have an effect on the texture you grew.

Man, this topic is just begging for a poll. :look: You know, where's your looser texture?
Center
Front
Back
Sides
Combo
All same texture

And then one in the children's forum to see if the adults mirror the children. And then one to ask which part of your head you always put the relaxer on first. Only because I was reading somewhere recently how someone said the chem burn scarring she had on her scalp in some spots from relaxers had straight hair growing out of it and she was amazed hair was still growing there at all. It just made me wonder if repeated chemical applications could have an effect on the texture you grew.

Hmmmm....I guess if it manipulates the follicle enough(as in changing it's shape or slant) this might be true...hmmmmmmm.

I don't know why but it could just be genetics as to why we have several textures on our heads. The back of my head is wavy with very loose curls and the crown is thick with coils:drunk:... My uncle and grandaddy along with my mom has very loose curls all over their heads.. So I figured I got their follicles at the back of my head and inherited my dads follicles at the crown:lachen:! My dad's side follicles are scarce making the hair appear thinner.. and I inherited that too. My sides of thinness was way more apparent when I was relaxed but now as a natural head it is camoflauged.

I said all of that to say.. I just have different follicles from different members of my family:look:

My head is more like a bullseye. The center being the crown has 4b, the next "ring" has 4a which is the biggest "band" of hair, then the next "ring" is the hairline and nape which is like 3c. I just deal with it...

Thanks for bumping, I can never get enough of talking about all of these textures in my head!!! My hair is like Me, myself and Irene...

I find the topic terribly interesting as well. When I was relaxed the hairdressers always said I had different textures on my head but man you just don't really know till you go natural and then it's like:blush: what in the heck?!

Do you guys also notice thickness differences? My crown which is more wavy and grows the quickest is thick, the twists there are the business. Anyway, my nape which is 4a/b and grows the slowest turns out to be fine, my twists there aren't wimpy but nowhere near as thick and bouncy as my crown. I'm texturized now but I can still see and feel the difference. I sometimes wonder if the textures have any meaning or if they reflect our personalities or struggles or what. Am I getting too deep?:look: Anyway, it is an interesting topic, indeed.

Wow I guess we all come from the same alien planet!

My hair in the back is like a 3b. Its soft, silky, is mostly wavy. Its very pretty BUT the rest of the back is 3c and therefore the nape area ends up looking like a mullet. As a matter of fact that area was so soft that I almost chopped it off thinking I accidentally had relaxed hair back there. Phew! So glad I didn't do it. In the very front my hair is 4a and doesn't curl and not very silky. My hair is insane.

Oh and just a question for the ladies with the softer texture in the back... now I can see why that area was always breaking when I would get relaxers. OMG I can't imagine putting a stronger relaxer to that area. My nape area would hardly grow and when I was transitioning it was frizzy as hell. I've set that bad boy free! LOL :drunk: I was wondering if anybody else was experiencing breakage in that fragile area when they used to relax.

I'm the total opposite, the front of my hair has the loosest curls (3c waves) while the side has bigger curls (3c spirals), the back of my hair has the 4a spirals that are really thick, so wngs are near impossible for me because the back of my hair just frizzes up.

Me too!!!

It's so freaking annoying. When I detangle, I always start with the hardest part first (the back) and then work my way to the front (which basically never really gets tangled at all)

The front is loosest, the middle has the most defined curls, the back is just a thick bush.

I find the topic terribly interesting as well. When I was relaxed the hairdressers always said I had different textures on my head but man you just don't really know till you go natural and then it's like:blush: what in the heck?!

Do you guys also notice thickness differences? My crown which is more wavy and grows the quickest is thick, the twists there are the business. Anyway, my nape which is 4a/b and grows the slowest turns out to be fine, my twists there aren't wimpy but nowhere near as thick and bouncy as my crown. I'm texturized now but I can still see and feel the difference. I sometimes wonder if the textures have any meaning or if they reflect our personalities or struggles or what. Am I getting too deep?:look: Anyway, it is an interesting topic, indeed.

I read a few articles in a journal of dermatology about hair. One of them did talk about differing thicknesses in different parts of the head for different groups of people. I can't remember all the details, but I think for Africans the center grew in the thickest while for Europeans it was the back section. But I do remember the group sizes they tested were not very big and I think all the African subjects came from one area and the same for the Europeans and I can't remember what they said about the Asian subjects at all there. All I remember about them is it was the one group where men did seem to grow faster than women.

Hey ladies!!!! I am bumping this thread since making a new discovery about my texture.

I have a weird "mohawk" of looseness running down my scalp. Even the area in the back where my curls are most defined have looser curls in the center. The top of my head in the center only wants to wave, but all of the definition is still in the back just past my ears.

I don't know HOW I am gonna wear this mess when I BC! :nono:

my hair is like that and when it gets longer, it starts to look like a shag. my front grows down as well and it is a little looser in the front.

That describes my hair.

My looser texture is in the center of my head. seems like only the edges are tightly coiled and kinky in the back. My looser texture 3c definitely grows a lot faster than the rest. I would say that my loose texture hase about 2.5 inches whereas the tigher parts have only maybe just over an inch unstretched. I'm only 6 months into my transition so maybe I'm wanting too much too soon out of it

I feel the same way about my hair.....just all over the place!

I was also wondering....

Does anyone have a piece like I do in the front of my head that doesn't even think about curling? I initially thought that maybe it was because I pull my hair pack everyday (military), so maybe it was "trained" to be straight.

It's weird because before I decided to grow it out natural, I noticed that the crown always came out extra straight and smooth when flatironing.
Maybe it is just not meant to curl. :ohwell:

I have that same problem. I usually just finger curl it, but I don't want to have to keep doing it. I want it to curl like it does when it's wet.

Somebody on here mentioned squeezing conditioner out of your hair and it kind of worked for me... so I'll try it again later today.

Dang, everybody's is in the back. I always gotta be the oddball:ohwell::grin:. Mine is in the front. My nape is tighter and more unruly. It's like a totally different head of hair. My curl pattern being like this makes my wash n' go's sit kinda funny because the back shrinks up more and makes the other hair sit up and out, lol. I'd much rather the looser texture be in the back or at least for it to all be uniform.

I have 3c loose waves and curls along the perimeter of my head (sides all the way to the back) except for my bang area which are 4a coils along with the rest of my hair. My twists unravel all of the time where the loose texture areas are which gets annoying but on a positive note it's easy to slick my edges down with very little gel since it stays smooth and flat easier.

My looser texture is up front...when my hair shrinks all the way up, it looks as if I have a bob ;0) I haven't a clue why this is...I've heard people say that it comes from years of stretching that front hair back into a pony tail or bun. But who really knows...

My looser curl pattern is all in my crown. My tightest is in the front. And the intermediate between the two curl patterns is in the back.

OMG i honestly thought i was the only one that had hair like this lol. Its, softer, silkier and more straight, it doen't shrink up like the rest of my hair, when i wash my hair the nape just turns into lose coils rather than shrinking into a tight mass of hair.

My texture is looser in the back also. In addition, my back grows faster than the front.

Butterfly that is exactly what my hair is like, i can't stand the fact that it's longer than the rest of my hair, and yet i dare not chop it.

Back