"Why dont you do something with your hair?" Short vent

I saw my friend who made the comment for lunch earlier and I gave her a bottle of Emergencee to stop that breakage she got. I just hope once her hair starts to retain its length, she wont be stylin and fryin her hair all over again.

Oh yeah and I still kept my hair the same ol' way I normally do, but I am thinking of dressing it up buy buying pretty clips or headbands at Claire's. That way I can have something diffrent without doing extreme damage to my hair.

deejoy said:
I remember a friend of mine told me "bout time you changed your hairstyle" when all I did was change the part. Meanwhile her hair was nape length and damaged. Go figure.

:lol: :lol: This is me weekly. To me that IS a change of hairstyle!

Glossy I wouldnt worry about it too much. Wear your hair the way you like. Dress it up with something pretty only if you want to (Will admit I don't really like a lot of Clair's hairtoys but thats just me)

The person that counts with your hair is you. If you're not happy then sure, change it up, if you are, leave it alone.

-A

glossyxlipz said:
This comment bothered me.

Yesterday I went to a family party and saw my friend I havent seen in a few months. One of the first things she mentioned when she saw me was how soft and long my hair was now. I thanked her but then she went on and said "Why dont you do anything with your hair? If I had your hair I would be looking fly and doing all sort of things with it..." I was alittle insulted but I didnt want to show it so I just gave a half smile and changed the subject.

I mean it is true, I am not to skilled at styling my hair. Whenever I try, it never last through the day. I was thinking about getting bangs. But anyway why MUST I style my hair? Why cant it just grow and be a covering for my head like it was intended. I dont want to make my hair a piece of art or anything. I think this bothers me because she is not the first person who has said this to me. What gives?

Ok now I feel better I typed this out.

Anyone else feel their hairstyles are not as FLYYY as it could be?

Thats happend to me at work. I was so sad that day. My husband was like dont worry. You look fine. Who care what they think. I just work a simple style everyday. Which was a bun nothing fancy at all. Im trying to go with the no heat chanllenge so thats my main style.

No worries, chica!

I wouldn't take it as an insult; they are just imagining all the options they would have if they had your hair! It's like they are daydreaming out loud, y'know what I mean? They don't know that they are possibly offending you, so just take it like a compliment, IMO.

blue_flower said:
I agree with you. I see too many black women wearing their hair in styles. The people who tell me to do something to my hair, usuall have short and/or unhealthy hair.

Why is this usually the case? They think because their hair is "styled" they can tell u something but it is usually unhealthy.

ITA - Art belongs on the wall not on your head. I am usually French rolled or different types of buns. Occasionally I wear it down. When people ask why don’t I wear it down more often, I tell them my hair type is delicate and I need to treat it gently plus it’s takes me two minutes to bun in the morning. This ends all questions every time.

senimoni said:
I"m just OT'ing all over the place.

Energist...those pokahontas braids are lovely. I'm so jelly of those b/c I can do to braids but they don't look a thing like that.

Thanks, well no need to be jelly girl, because my hair wasn't always this thick. It definitely took a while :)

GLOSSY YOUR HAIR IS BEAUTIFUL. DON'T MIND THE HATERS... ITS ALL ENVY

I will be the first to admit.. I will have to apologize to my lil sister who is 18 who has 3b hair shoulder length natural (never had a perm) hair and does not a thing to it but wash every day DC with a shower cap and makes my mom do braids for her (8 of them). her going out style involves a ouchless scrunchy band loosely holding the hair up on top of her head and she stick pins in the bun to hide the lil scrunchy. I use to say "girl pleease do someting with that hair its a mess" she would respond "Mind your business" her hair won't even take a Dominican blow out took the lady 1 our to do it and it curled up 30 minutes later lol she went home and washed it out dc and braided lol. So Lindsay, Im sorry keep doing what u do. as for me i had to join a group to learn how to care for my hair so it can go past neck length.. Irony. my lil sis is the wiser one she is getting close to APL..

Last edited:
anywayzzz those same people that's askin bout your hair, if they had your hair nine out of ten times they would bother with it anyway after while.
Simple is just sooo much better.

Back