Why Do People Think Color is a NO NO for Black Women?

LdyKamz

When people see a black woman with colored hair I always hear things like "I hate that color on black women" I hear it the most for women that go blonde. That Gabrielle Union thread in OT where she debuted her new hair color had most people saying the same thing. I wonder why?

White girls color their hair every color under the sun and no one even bats an eye. I saw two white girls this evening on the train, one with orange hair and the other I white blonde. No one looked at them but me. But there was a black woman sitting in the corner with fire engine red hair and EVERYONE that came on the train did a double take when they saw her. I admit, I didn't like it either. But why is it such a big deal?

I told my SO that I wanted to get a purple streak in the front of my hair - which probably won't happen since I am so chicken to color my hair - and he said "Oh that would look cool. I think you should do it. Just whatever you do, don't go blonde." WTF?!

What's the deal?

Easy answer: Because people equate it black women with hair colors that aren't black or dark brown as "ghetto". It's plain and simple. No one who isn't black WANTS to say that to a black woman's face, but that's what they are thinking.

#realtalk

Guilty

As a dark skin/brown women I think platinum blonde (or the likes) on women my color or darker is unattractive. I just think its too stark of a contrast, and like make up, hair color should compliment the skin tone.

I always champion hair color on here because people seem to hate it so much. I think black women look great with various colors including the dreaded blonde. But that's just me :)

I think the color you should get should compliment your skin color. That dark fungus green doesn't look good on anyone. But I like pink and purple, those are the only two not normal color hair i like. But blue and etc is a no. I have saw some black women that have blonde hair and it did not look right on them. But I also know some who have blond hair and it looks nice as well. I have also seen white women and their color did not looked fake on them and you can tell they weren't real blondes or brunettes. But yeah I have heard the blond hair thing to about black women as well

Easy answer: Because people equate it black women with hair colors that aren't black or dark brown as "ghetto". It's plain and simple. No one who isn't black WANTS to say that to a black woman's face, but that's what they are thinking.

#realtalk

I disagree. I don't think hair color is ghetto at all. Now the crazy weave AND the color is something different.

But there are plenty of women with color who - even if the color doesn't look right on them - don't look that way.

It depends on your skintone.

Also, one should never look to see what another race is doing to determine what he or she should or should not do.

#realtalk

Naw, I don't think this is true. Perhaps the color and style of the hair may read "ghetto" to some...but not just the color. I have seen plenty of black or dark brown hairstyles/wigs that look hella "ghetto."

Guilty

As a dark skin/brown women I think platinum blonde (or the likes) on women my color or darker is unattractive. I just think its too stark of a contrast, and like make up, hair color should compliment the skin tone.

ITA! A lot of people, not just black women, are blonde and red-headed for the sake of being a blonde or redhead, rather than for the goal of complimenting their features. Colors that are harsh or contrast to a person skin tone isn't a black thing, it's a "poor color choice, trashy/sloppy dye job" thing :lol:. People think fire engine red looks ghetto on black women because the only black women "bold" (:rolleyes:) enough to go there are ghetto and hood. It's just a horrible color, unless you're rocking an entire superhero or fairy get up. Other wise, you just look like a clown :look:. IMO, only a tiny-tiny segment of the human population looks good with SL and longer blonde hair. The kicker though with black women doing long and blonde (or other non-natural colors) , is that it's always a weave or wig! 99% of weaves and wigs already look fake, but adding blonde means you can see that disaster coming from miles away. I can be across the street and around the corner and still know you've got wasted money cocked up on your head :lachen:.

Last edited:
It's not the color, it's the unflattering tone that is a NO NO. Some Black women can only pull off platinum blonde hair but not many. Others would do better with a dark gold, golden brown or honey color. My sister did pale highlights but her natural hair color is strawberry brown and she naturally gets blonde highlights in the summer so it looks natural when she would go lighter. She can also easily transition to redder tones and have it look natural.

Same with reds, blues, browns and blacks. Not all Black women can do pitch black or blue black. Unfortunately so many Black women use these unflattering tones and it just comes off looking bad. However, I have seen some bad color but great haircut or style that flattered the face and the bad color was slightly forgivable.

What? Since when is color a no-no for black women? With Gabby, posters didn't like the color (or lack thereof) on HER.

What? Since when is color a no-no for black women? With Gabby, posters didn't like the color (or lack thereof) on HER.

I thought I remembered someone saying something about not being a fan of blonde on black women. But you are right. Most posters were saying it didn't match HER skin tone. So I guess it is all about something that compliments your skin tone.

I have to admit, the fire engine red lady on the train did get a look from me because she just looked silly. It reminded me of a weave my sister got once when she was in college with the same exact color as this woman. She looked like a clown.

It depends on your skintone.

Also, one should never look to see what another race is doing to determine what he or she should or should not do.

Ann0804 I agree with you. :yep: If you are referring to my comment about me being chicken to color my hair, I simply meant that I'm scared all of my hair is going to fall out the day after I add color. If I wasn't afraid of that I would have colored my hair as soon as I big chopped because I think that purple streak would look cool as hell on my twa.

to those that disagree with me.

I'm not saying that it IS ghetto, i'm saying that's what a lot of white folk think. I can sit here and try to be fair and objective, but let's be real. Most black women, regardless of skin color or hair texture, walk into any workplace and if her hair isn't dark black or maybe a tad shade of brown, people will think she's ghetto or something. at least, where I live in DC.

Black women are judged for anything because we're considered to be at the bottom of everything. Look around this forum for pete's sake. People jumping all over people over 3s and 4s like it really matters in the universe. Of course people are gonna jump on black women over hair color that doesn't look..dare I say it..."natural".

If a young white girl or east asian girl has purple streaks in her hair or dyes her whole head orange "aww, she's just having a bit of fun. being cute and different. it's a phase". You see a black girl do that, most people's first reaction is "now she know she don't look cute with that" "what was she thinking?" "didn't her mom raise her better?"

Or an LHCF member may say, lol, "all that color is gonna damage her hair! she better DC and moisture and seal like a beast"

That's just the way it is. I wish that wasn't the case. We see celebrities like Ciara and Rihanna do funky stuff and that's okay because they're the exception not the rule.

blonde hair on black women is almost on the same level as black people with blue contacts

How do you defend this

hottie11.jpg

naija24 I agree with your post on some level. In fact, that is the exact reason I asked this question. Because I hear this too. That it doesn't look cute or something like that. But I never guessed they thought it wasn't cute because it was ghetto. More because some just think it doesn't look nice...on black women.

But you know what, I now realize when it comes to hair nothing is the majority. Some people like some things, others don't.

Now if I could just get over the fear of my hair falling out so I could add some color. :grin:

Some people can pull of colors better than others. I've seen super white WP with jet black hair. That doesn't look good. I've seen WP with bleach blonde look like a HAM. But I've seen some with shades of red that compliment CERTAIN lighter tones. Same with black women. When they do drastic blondes and reds and it doesn't look nice, who shouldn't have a comment. I've seen some women my complexion with nice blonde hair and some with rachetness. It's not just about complimenting skin tone, also maintenance but there are so many factors involved that's its hard to pinpoint just one.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

I think it's all about finding the right tone in the preferred color for your skintone. For example, the other day, I saw a woman with a blond bob. I didn't like it because it was so bright/brassy bordering on a coppery orange. It clashed with the cool undertones in her skin. Something along the lines of caramel/honey, something more neutral or cool toned in general would've been better.

Nene Leakes is a celeb that I think has found the right blonde for her, same for Mary J Blige. Some women can pull it off, some can't. I can only do subtle highlights, and they must be warm/neutral.

Also, I don't think it's only a black woman/dark skinned woman thing. A girl I know is light skinned (dominican/puerto rican) and her crown area is bleached blonde; the rest is dark brown. It is just soooo unattractive. The blonde is brassy, yellow with some orange tones and it just looks too severe. If she toned it down to a neutral/ash dark blonde, it MIGHT actually look pretty.

If a young white girl or east asian girl has purple streaks in her hair or dyes her whole head orange "aww, she's just having a bit of fun. being cute and different. it's a phase". You see a black girl do that, most people's first reaction is "now she know she don't look cute with that" "what was she thinking?" "didn't her mom raise her better?"

From my personal experience of having white and "white on sight" :lol: friends who loved to dye their hair, the only people who liked it were college-aged or were into tattoos and gauges. Many times they would dye their hair a natural color when they went home, so that their parents and family wouldn't go ballistic. They would also dye it a natural color or throw on a wig for job interviews. Most middle-aged and older white people (unless they're eclectic) don't like non-natural colors either. They tend to think that the kids or adults who do it are punks, trashy, gay, on drugs, and/or irresponsible.
Un-natural colors puts everyone into a niche (that includes Asian and white people). Hence why it's not allowed in predominately white cooperate America. That's why the only industries you usually see dyed haired people working in is fashion, art, tattoos and piercings, or they're students.

Speaking for myself, I hate it when we damage our hair with the color. I can look at relaxed damage hair all day and simply frown; however, damaged color (especially blond) makes me grimace with pain.

THEN there are the occasions where from my perspective, the color does not compliment the complexion. Blue's, Red's, orangey-bronze's drive me crazy; on the same note, I can often pick the box-color blond yt chick out too.

Back