Why do Dominican stylist insist on the rattail comb?!

Lava27

I recenly starting rollersetting again ( twice since last touch up) b/c I figured out that the whole process is less drying than I used to think pre- LHCF. I just wasnt using enough leave ins prior to rolling. Well now I use 3 (HE LTR, aphogee green tea and a serum), and my last 2 rollersets where very soft. I am however very concerned about these little combs these stylist insist on using. I went to 2 different shops (one in MD and one in NY) and each time tried to give them a moderate sized comb (actually a sort of smallish detangler comb) and they look at me like I'm nuts and insist on the rattail comb. This just cant be good for my wet, fine 4a/b relaxed hair! I let them use their little combs each time, but the thought of using it again this weekend is giving me anxiety! Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone in the NY area know of any Dominican salons where the don't insist on using the smallest comb man ever made!:nono:

Oh yeah and I just want to add that both the stylists and my cousin (an avid roller setter) claim this fine comb is "necessary" to get the hair straight and to lay smooth on the roller. Is this really true??

I guess to get it as smooth as possible, but even still, at least detangle with a widetooth first and THEN use the rattail to get the flyaways, you know? :/ With many of them having similar hair, you'd think they know better.

I recenly starting rollersetting again ( twice since last touch up) b/c I figured out that the whole process is less drying than I used to think pre- LHCF. I just wasnt using enough leave ins prior to rolling. Well now I use 3 (HE LTR, aphogee green tea and a serum), and my last 2 rollersets where very soft. I am however very concerned about these little combs these stylist insist on using. I went to 2 different shops (one in MD and one in NY) and each time tried to give them a moderate sized comb (actually a sort of smallish detangler comb) and they look at me like I'm nuts and insist on the rattail comb. This just cant be good for my wet, fine 4a/b relaxed hair! I let them use their little combs each time, but the thought of using it again this weekend is giving me anxiety! Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone in the NY area know of any Dominican salons where the don't insist on using the smallest comb man ever made!:nono:

Idon't live in NY but I when I go to my stylist, which is once a year, I bring in my own products and tools, and I giver her instructions to follow. She does it and gets good tip. I just told her my hair has a system lol. IF they can't do that then just leave.

all of the dominican salons i've been to detangle with a large comb first and then use rattail comb to comb each individual section before they roll it. i don't think my rollerset would come out as smooth if they did not use the small comb.

when I went to get a dominican blowout, the stylist first tried to use a rattail comb to comb through my natural hair and she quickly realize that ish was not going to work and started using wide tooth comb. It's not like one size fits all category, rattail combs are not made for everyone!

The fine tooth comb helps smooth hair, I do my own sets at home and I use a seamless rattail comb on my fine hair. If the hair is detangled well it shouldn't be a problem.

I have a rat tail comb at home and I only use them for rollersets

When I go to the salon - which is like 2x a year at this point - I make them detangle my hair with a wide tooth comb. I even bring my own just in case. Homey don't play that LOL plus my hair will break that thing in half anyway. After they've detangled my hair I let them use the rattail comb to do my rollersets.

If I don't use a rattail comb when I rollerset then my hair will look a HAM

My Salon uses what I give them. The medium size rat tail comb and I'm 10 months post. That woman is afraid of me when she trims she shows me every bit of hair she cuts as she cuts.

This is the one I insist they use

bone+comb.jpg

The ones below are a heelllllll NO

yUE0hLjhvUnj839.jpg

I do my own rollersets and I'm good at them. When I used to go to my dominican stylist in Montreal and also the one here in Edmonton, they ALWAYS detangled with a wide tooth comb, ends first and very carefully and then used a rattail comb to smooth the hair over a roller. That's what I do for my rollersets and they come out great and this is the only occassion I use the rattail comb (no, actually I use it to separate sections after rollersetting in order to flat iron the roots if I'm doing my rollersets)

Not all dominican hair salons are created equal, so find one that follows good hair practices or at least is willing to listen to you, the client.

Or learn to do your own, it's just lots of practice.

Nothing to do with you OP, as it is a very valid question, but is it me or has this been Bash dominican stylists week?

Last edited:
I go a DS almost every week for the past 8 years and yes they use a rat tail combs before roller setting.

It is TRUE - they use to smooth the hair over the rollers - NOT TO TORTURE YOU! :look: I feel it is a neccesary evil to ensure that my roller set it smooth. Like another lady said, if you think the comb they use is too fine, bring your own medium sized one.

I too am a fine 4a/b and I have been going to them for years. As long as you are detangled with a large tooth comb (shower comb size) under water and w/a detangling conditioner, it should not be an issue.

For those times when my hair does get a bit tangled, occasionally it does happen, I ask them to be gentle and slow - not yank the comb thru.

As a habit, I look in the mirror to see how much, if any, hair is coming out in the comb. That habit can help you gauge if you need more protien in your hair.

If you want, you can even ask them to give you the hair from the comb once they are finished roller setting, if that will help ease your mind. I have seen women do that. :yep:

Good luck!

The rat tail comb thing is what most stylists use; particulary to roller set. I don't think it's a Dominican thing. Just go to your Dominican salon of choice with your own comb and have them use that one on you..it shouldn't be a big deal.

Dominican Blowouts changed a particular view of "hair care" for me - NO DOUBT! It recharged my hair journey and I have not looked back since. I have absolutely no problem using a fine tooth comb on myself or when I do rollersets on others. The hair is detangled in the sink with conditioner, its rinsed with cool water, there is a leave-in added for slip/setting lotion, and the lady is smooth with combing not yanking the hair. You are usually rollerset facing the mirror and you can see the comb (they don't try to hide anything from you) when they are done.

I def. agree with BlackDiamond21 - when there is more hair in the comb, the stylist says so and I know I need more protein in my hair diet.

Honestly, I think a great deal of conflict comes from there being a lack of understanding and relationship building in these situations.

The hair can not be smoothed on the roller without a tool which separates the hair, allowing it to be heated evenly under the hood dryer and prevent the hair from shrinking. The tail comb prevents gaps, loops, and anything which will interfere with a smooth, firm and uniform curl on the roller. A tail comb creates necessary tension to ensure a tight roll and straighten curly hair. A tail comb is necessary to make quick sections.

You can always order a cricket carbon comb set from folica(dot)com and carry the set along with you when you go to the salon. The tail comb is very good and makes clean sections.

Nothing to do with you OP, as it is a very valid question, but is it me or has this been Bash dominican stylists week?

Girl, people on here CONTINUOUSLY bash Dominican stylists. I once started a thread, with PICS, on how my hair thrived when I was going to Dominican salons, but people mostly just feed into the negativity. I understand people who have been sharing their negative experiences. That's valid. But, half the comments are from people who've never even been....but everyone has a right to voice their opinions, I guess.

Back on topic....

I do my own rollersets and I use a rattail comb. It's the best way to get the hair smooth to wrap tightly over the roller. My hair is sectioned in small parts for a rollerset, so I don't lose hair from the rattail comb. I do lightly detangle with a wide tooth comb first. I have a tourmaline metal rattail comb that is my favorite. The fake bone combs from Wal-Mart work well, too. I purchased a real bone (seamless) rattail comb and I hated it.

What brand is that tourmaline Solitude? I use a Silkcomb by Cricket. Its wonderful, but I love hair tools.

I used to be so scared of the rattail comb until I learned how to use one. I now part my hair in sections before washing my hair for a set. I detangle after conditioning with a wide tooth comb. The rattail comb goes through my hair effortlessly.

...but I remember those day when I'd go to the salon and they would rip my hair through with that dang comb. Stupid!

all of the dominican salons i've been to detangle with a large comb first and then use rattail comb to comb each individual section before they roll it. i don't think my rollerset would come out as smooth if they did not use the small comb.
i disagree... i used to roller set all the time with a soul comb (never owned a rattail) and my sets came out very smooth

My Salon uses what I give them. The medium size rat tail comb and I'm 10 months post. That woman is afraid of me when she trims she shows me every bit of hair she cuts as she cuts.

This is the one I insist they use

bone+comb.jpg

The ones below are a heelllllll NO

yUE0hLjhvUnj839.jpg

I don't get rolletsets from the DR salons because of their inability to be patient and thouroughly detangle my hair without raking through it with a fine tooth comb. This second pic is SCARY! But it does get the hair smooth though lol Plus, I would want them to detangle in sections which is an added step they wouldn't want to do...I'm sure.

Thank you! Thank you! i been asking this for so long! I am a reformed addict and been "clean" a few months just because of the rattail combs hehehe

Why would it get on your nerves? Are you dominican?:look:

Yes Ma'am I am! I was born in the Dominican Republic :drunk:

OP, have you tried to use a different type of comb to rollerset? In order to smooth the hair and place it on the roller it would have to be done with the rattail so the hair can come out straight, sans tangles. At least that's what I've seen. I guess the only other thing I could use is a denman brush, but you would still need the tail part of the comb to section out that hair in a "rectangle" shape. Hopefully I'm making sense LOL

Last edited:
Back