Why do braidouts always seem to DRY out your hair???

Sooooo I see the key here is braid it while wet, use a good creamy leave in/conditioner and seal ends. Huuummmmm:rolleyes:

I always did it on DRY hair. Always. I will def have to try this.

I would put B&B Moisturizer or NTM Leave in, etc... On damp hair.

I don't redo it every night but I also sleep on my stomach alot ( I know not good) so i think that is why mine will last a few days.

Also, when I do a braidout I seperate the hair to cover the spaces, I try not to redo it or it will mess up the foundation. It does last a 2 to 3 days for me then into a puff it goes.

Opps I replied to the wrong quote.

I don't redo it every night but I also sleep on my stomach alot ( I know not good) so i think that is why mine will last a few days.

Also, when I do a braidout I seperate the hair to cover the spaces, I try not to redo it or it will mess up the foundation. It does last a 2 to 3 days for me then into a puff it goes.

Opps I replied to the wrong quote.
That is a good idea.

OT...But why is not not good to sleep on your stomach? I do.:look:

Sooooo I see the key here is braid it while wet, use a good creamy leave in/conditioner and seal ends. Huuummmmm:rolleyes:

I always did it on DRY hair. Always. I will def have to try this.

:nono::nono::nono::nono:

I braid my hair while soaking wet, use a leave in and seal my ends w/ end papers.
I also sit under the dryer (when I have time) to set the curl.

I say a moisturizing leave-in or some light conditioner on wet hair and seal with light oil. It keeps the moisture in.

That is a good idea.

OT...But why is not not good to sleep on your stomach? I do.:look:

Because when you sleep on your stomach your spine is not aligned with the neck and the rest of the body, which can cause your back muscles to be strained. If you sleep on your stomach you are suppose to put a pillow under the lower part of your belly to give your spinal area more support. If you sleep on your back you should place a pillow under the thigh area to align the spinal colum and if you sleep on your side you should put a pillow between your thighs to maintain the alignment.

I have experimented with what works for me and what doesn't for a braid out.

I used to do twists but stopped. Must wash hair with a good moisturising shampoo and conditioner.

Do the twists on damp hair using qhemet heavy cream and jojoba oil.

Wake up in the morning and use olive honey balm to shake my hair.

Re-braid at night but only use jojoba oil.

This keeps my braid outs moist. The key is the leave-in and oil for me. Braid outs on dry hair do nothing for me.

My hair used to be extremely dry but then I learnt that the shampoo and conditioner plus the leave-ins and oil was key. It took time for my hair to start to feel the difference because I had been wearing braid extensions and never used products to keep my hair moist to prevent my hair from matting.

Best,
almond eyes

I'm surprised to read this, as twist outs or braids outs leave my hair feeling more moist and soft than plain loose hair. Here's a thought that just popped into my mind. What if it's not a difference in the actual moisture content of your hair, but in how it feels to you? Because braid outs will have lots of bends and kinks in them, they feel less smooth, they feel rougher, than straight hair. So if you compare it to your straight hair it will be less smooth and this is what you are interpreting as dry? Since my hair is very tightly kinked natural, a braid out actually stretches my hair and makes bends and kinks that are bigger and smoother than my natural curl pattern. So to me they feel comparatively soft. How about this idea?

Anyway, I don't do braid outs but usually twist out and I apply a product to my wet or damp hair before twisting. This gives nice results, much better than if i applied product to my hair and left it loose.

I'm surprised to read this, as twist outs or braids outs leave my hair feeling more moist and soft than plain loose hair. Here's a thought that just popped into my mind. What if it's not a difference in the actual moisture content of your hair, but in how it feels to you? Because braid outs will have lots of bends and kinks in them, they feel less smooth, they feel rougher, than straight hair. So if you compare it to your straight hair it will be less smooth and this is what you are interpreting as dry? Since my hair is very tightly kinked natural, a braid out actually stretches my hair and makes bends and kinks that are bigger and smoother than my natural curl pattern. So to me they feel comparatively soft. How about this idea?

Anyway, I don't do braid outs but usually twist out and I apply a product to my wet or damp hair before twisting. This gives nice results, much better than if i applied product to my hair and left it loose.

my hair all the way:yep:

Thanks for this thread. I stopped doing braid outs because of the dryness. On top of the dryness, I would get breakage. Now I've learned a few tips that have encouraged me to try again.:crossfingers:

Because when you sleep on your stomach your spine is not aligned with the neck and the rest of the body, which can cause your back muscles to be strained. If you sleep on your stomach you are suppose to put a pillow under the lower part of your belly to give your spinal area more support. If you sleep on your back you should place a pillow under the thigh area to align the spinal colum and if you sleep on your side you should put a pillow between your thighs to maintain the alignment.
Oh really?! Thanks!:yep:

Back