Why do a lot of "hydrating" products have keratin protein?

ShiShiPooPoo

I don't get it. My Joico Intense Hydrator lists Hydrolzed Keratin Protein as like the second ingredient. I've seen other "moisturizing" and "hydrating" products with keratin in them as well.

If keratin can be drying how is it hydrating? Why would they put that in a "hydrating" product?

I don't get it:perplexed.

I don't get it. My Joico Intense Hydrator lists Hydrolzed Keratin Protein as like the second ingredient. I've seen other "moisturizing" and "hydrating" products with keratin in them as well.

If keratin can be drying how is it hydrating? Why would they put that in a "hydrating" product?

I don't get it:perplexed.

I don't know. I was wondering this same thing yesterday. I think that my hair has been getting too much protein. Okay, I am looking at a thread that I copied from here and this is what is says about it:
[FONT=&quot]*b) Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein of Keratin Amino Acids -- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]this means that the Keratin molecules have been broken down and are small enough to go beyond the cuticle and penetrate the hair shaft. It will strengthen all 3 layers of the hair. That is why the term "deep conditioning" technically only refers to this kind of treatment using penetrating proteins.

hths sweetie[/FONT]

I don't know. I was wondering this same thing yesterday. I think that my hair has been getting too much protein. Okay, I am looking at a thread that I copied from here and this is what is says about it:
[FONT=&quot]*b) Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein of Keratin Amino Acids -- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]this means that the Keratin molecules have been broken down and are small enough to go beyond the cuticle and penetrate the hair shaft. It will strengthen all 3 layers of the hair. That is why the term "deep conditioning" technically only refers to this kind of treatment using penetrating proteins.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]hths sweetie[/FONT]

It does help Tishee...but what is hydrating about it? I just used Joico's Hydrator and here are the ingredients:

water, cetearyl alcohol, behentrimonuim chloride, glycerin, cetyl esters, lanolin, hydrolyzed hair keratin, laurdimonium hydroxypropl, hydrolyzed keratin, hydrolyzed keratin pg-propyl methylsilanediol...

That's 3 types of keratin? I just used this product and did a steam treatment with it and I WILL say that my hair feels remarkable.

Still don't get it...does it allow the other hydrating ingredients to penetrate or something?

It does help Tishee...but what is hydrating about it? I just used Joico's Hydrator and here are the ingredients:

water, cetearyl alcohol, behentrimonuim chloride, glycerin, cetyl esters, lanolin, hydrolyzed hair keratin, laurdimonium hydroxypropl, hydrolyzed keratin, hydrolyzed keratin pg-propyl methylsilanediol...

That's 3 types of keratin? I just used this product and did a steam treatment with it and I WILL say that my hair feels remarkable.

Still don't get it...does it allow the other hydrating ingredients to penetrate or something?

I think that the protein may help the moisture to bind to the hair strand. I think it works along the lines of correcting porosity on a certain level. A lot of the times when hair is dry, it is usually not because the strand is not receiving moisture, but instead that it is not retaining the moisture due to the moisture being blocked out (product build up) or overly porous hair. So, if the keratin rebuilds the shaft, then the water from washing can be retained a lot better.

I used to experience the same thing with Nexxus Emergencee.

protein helps to bind moisture to the hair

I think that the protein may help the moisture to bind to the hair strand. I think it works along the lines of correcting porosity on a certain level. A lot of the times when hair is dry, it is usually not because the strand is not receiving moisture, but instead that it is not retaining the moisture due to the moisture being blocked out (product build up) or overly porous hair. So, if the keratin rebuilds the shaft, then the water from washing can be retained a lot better.

I used to experience the same thing with Nexxus Emergencee.

:yep: I think that's it, exactly - it's like a 'sealer' for the moisture in the product.....

Everything in the K-pak line has more keratin, the brand is known for it. If you want less you should try the Moisture Treatment Balm, in the Moisture Recovery line.

Everything in the K-pak line has more keratin, the brand is known for it. If you want less you should try the Moisture Treatment Balm, in the Moisture Recovery line.

I have both of these lines and enjoy them both. The keratin thing just had me confused. Thanks for the responses!

Well if it's hydrating... ok, now I'm confused b/c I've read this info before- why is it considered hard core protein- like how it is in MT or OCT? If it helps with mositure, why is it suggested we need to up our moisture levels when using any products containing keratin? :perplexed am I making any sense???

Well if it's hydrating... ok, now I'm confused b/c I've read this info before- why is it considered hard core protein- like how it is in MT or OCT? If it helps with mositure, why is it suggested we need to up our moisture levels when using any products containing keratin? :perplexed am I making any sense???

EXACTLY!

I see products with keratin that claim to help with everything from moisture to split ends...

If it helps with hydration and ALOT of products have it as an ingredient to help with everything from splits to breakage,etc...they WHY is it considered a hardcore protein?

Why up your moisture level if it is helping to seal the moisture?

EXACTLY!

I see products with keratin that claim to help with everything from moisture to split ends...

If it helps with hydration and ALOT of products have it as an ingredient to help with everything from splits to breakage,etc...they WHY is it considered a hardcore protein?

Maybe those moisturizing treatments that contain keratin also have other moisturizing ingredients for the keratin to bind in.

And others just contain the keratin to strengthen without the additional moisturizing ingredients.

This was my first thought, but I don't know.

Like stated from posters above, keratin protein will help moisture adhere to the strands better. Its not necessarily adding moisture to your hair at that exact time (but its a very big helper for moisture to be retained within the strands correctly)

For instance..if u relax...never use protein...but u moisturize daily, but ur strands are still dry. Ur porosity is in check, as well as other things, but ur strands still feel as if its not drinking up the moisture/water content correctly.....then u may see a significant difference after u use a product with keratin b.c. the protein will help structure the hair SO THAT the moisture u give it in the future adheres. keratin is not just a strengthener/reconstructor, but it plays a big role in how moisture reacts to your hair.

Maybe those moisturizing treatments that contain keratin also have other moisturizing ingredients for the keratin to bind in.

And others just contain the keratin to strengthen without the additional moisturizing ingredients.

This was my first thought, but I don't know.

yes..i would think this is correct to!...

Like stated from posters above, keratin protein will help moisture adhere to the strands better. Its not necessarily adding moisture to your hair at that exact time (but its a very big helper for moisture to be retained within the strands correctly)

For instance..if u relax...never use protein...but u moisturize daily, but ur strands are still dry. Ur porosity is in check, as well as other things, but ur strands still feel as if its not drinking up the moisture/water content correctly.....then u may see a significant difference after u use a product with keratin b.c. the protein will help structure the hair SO THAT the moisture u give it in the future adheres. keratin is not just a strengthener/reconstructor, but it plays a big role in how moisture reacts to your hair.

thanks... that totally clarifies things for me. :grin:

wow even though it says hydrating, does it say strengthening on there somewhere too? it must with the keratin in it. I do see it has hydrating ingredients as well.

EXACTLY!

I would still consider this k pak a protein treatment with that much Keratin in it. how often does it say you can use it and how?

Waiting for the protein and chemistry divas to jump in. But my two cents:

Any protein can be hardcore or moisturizing, depending on the formulation, concentration and percentage of protein

Keratin which is suppose be pretty strong protein can be in a very moisturizing & hydrating product if the keratin is sufficiently "hydrolyzed" (which means broken down into the smallest pieces with water) or are "amino acids" (don't know what that means, but amino acids usually means the product can penetrate) and combined with moisturizing & hydrating ingredients.

My beloved nexxus humectress is most definitely a super moisturizing condish, even tho it has keratin amino acids as an ingredient. I have left it on 12 hours or more overnight and it never leaves hair hard, indeed, overnight left my hair too soft and perhaps even overmoisturized. Soooo my personal experience is, proteins can be moisturizing or can assist with binding in moisture as others have already stated. Note the many many luscious moisturizing ingredients in humectress: Water (Aqua), Stearalkonium Chloride, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Mineral Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Wheat Flour (Triticum Vulgare) Lipids, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Alpha-glucan Oligosaccharide, Keratin Amino Acids, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Magnesium Citrate, Manganese Citrate, Avocado (Persea Gratissima) Oil, Soybean (Glycine Soja) Sterol, Ceramide 3, Butyl Methoxy-dibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Myristic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Polysorbate 60, Polysorbate 20, Potassium Sorbate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Petrolatum, Stearyl Alcohol, Disodium Edta, Dmdm Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum), Red 4 (Ci 14700), Yellow 5 (Ci 19140), Blue 1 (Ci 42090), Red 33 (Ci 17200).

Wheat protein which is supposed to be "moisturizing" can be hardcore if used in a concentrated formula with no moisturizing ingredients. I have a bottle of wheat protein from www.ingredientstodiefor.com and used it straight up and it left my har hard -- but once I rinse, hair felt good. I didn't try it again because while my loves proteins in general, I don't like the hardcore stuff that leaves my hair hard like that. I add the wheat protein to products I want to tip into being more proteiny, just like I add glycerin or honey to tip into being more moisturizing

Okay, I have exhausted my limited knowleged on this matter . . .

Any protein can be hardcore or moisturizing, depending on the formulation, concentration and percentage of protein

Keratin which is suppose be pretty strong protein can be in a very moisturizing & hydrating product if the keratin is sufficiently "hydrolyzed" (which means broken down into the smallest pieces with water) or are "amino acids" (don't know what that means, but amino acids usually means the product can penetrate) and combined with moisturizing & hydrating ingredients.

My beloved nexxus humectress is most definitely a super moisturizing condish, even tho it has keratin amino acids as an ingredient. I have left it on 12 hours or more overnight and it never leaves hair hard, indeed, overnight left my hair too soft and perhaps even overmoisturized. Soooo my personal experience is, proteins can be moisturizing or can assist with binding in moisture as others have already stated. Note the many many luscious moisturizing ingredients in humectress: Water (Aqua), Stearalkonium Chloride, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Mineral Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Wheat Flour (Triticum Vulgare) Lipids, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Alpha-glucan Oligosaccharide, Keratin Amino Acids, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Magnesium Citrate, Manganese Citrate, Avocado (Persea Gratissima) Oil, Soybean (Glycine Soja) Sterol, Ceramide 3, Butyl Methoxy-dibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Myristic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Polysorbate 60, Polysorbate 20, Potassium Sorbate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Petrolatum, Stearyl Alcohol, Disodium Edta, Dmdm Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum), Red 4 (Ci 14700), Yellow 5 (Ci 19140), Blue 1 (Ci 42090), Red 33 (Ci 17200).

Wheat protein which is supposed to be "moisturizing" can be hardcore if used in a concentrated formula with no moisturizing ingredients. I have a bottle of wheat protein from www.ingredientstodiefor.com and used it straight up and it left my har hard -- but once I rinse, hair felt good. I didn't try it again because while my loves proteins in general, I don't like the hardcore stuff that leaves my hair hard like that. I add the wheat protein to products I want to tip into being more proteiny, just like I add glycerin or honey to tip into being more moisturizing

Yeah cause wow, I thought humectress was just considered to be moisturizing soley. Didnt even know it actually had protein at all

one protein I have never learned much about or seen in a product is egg white protein, I just got a conditioner with it in it and was wondering if it was safe to leave in. It sounds pretty mild-I think

Yeah cause wow, I thought humectress was just considered to be moisturizing soley. Didnt even know it actually had protein at all

Yeah, IMO, humectress is soley moisturizing. The keratin is low enough on the ingredients list indicating low concentration and must be in there to help bind in the other 95% moisturizing ingredients. IDK:ohwell:

humectress is for sure NOT a protein or even protein like condish -- it is pure moisture and does not give structure . . . JMHO . . .

Yeah, IMO, humectress is soley moisturizing. The keratin is low enough on the ingredients list indicating low concentration and must be in there to help bind in the other 95% moisturizing ingredients. IDK:ohwell:

humectress is for sure NOT a protein or even protein like condish -- it is pure moisture and does not give structure . . . JMHO . . .

yeah its for sure just moisturizing! So I guess it does depend on where it is on the list as to its effect and purpose. I would have never even suspected it had keratin in it, I never even felt it

one protein I have never learned much about or seen in a product is egg white protein, I just got a conditioner with it in it and was wondering if it was safe to leave in. It sounds pretty mild-I think

I've beaten a whole egg into various condish over the years and it for sure provides serious "structure" such that I would rate it as borderline hardcore protein treatment.

I never tried just the yolk or just the white though . . .

I've beaten a whole egg into various condish over the years and it for sure provides serious "structure" such that I would rate it as borderline hardcore protein treatment.

I never tried just the yolk or just the white though . . .

oh ok , this is good to know, i might have to use this one as a rinse out one then just to be sure

Thanks for breaking that down people. I think I understand it now.:yep:

The keratin essentially adds the structure to HOLD moisture in the hair shaft...makes sense.

The problem comes when the hair is OVERLOADED with keratin (or protein in general) and the moisture cannot penetrate into the hair...right? (crosses fingers).

The keratin essentially adds the structure to HOLD moisture in the hair shaft...makes sense.

The problem comes when the hair is OVERLOADED with keratin (or protein in general) and the moisture cannot penetrate into the hair...right? (crosses fingers).
ShiShi
when its overloaded it becomes very hard and brittle because at that point its been made to be too strong to even be a normal hair strand. So yes its harder for moisture to penetrate it because the hair shaft is full of hard keratin, but also the risk of it breaking because of how hard it is , is really high

Great thread...thx everyone.

Bold: I'm a purest in the sense of using a product line which contains moisturizing ingredients only....NO PROTEIN in any form and a separate protein enhanced product line.
I figure I get a better handle on rotating and monitoring my hair's needs...plus I don't have to think about it much w/this approach...:lachen:

HHG :grin:

Your whole post makes so much sense! I use Joico Intense Hydrator and the conditioner is indeed moisturizing, the keratin binds in the moisture.

Bold: I'm a purest in the sense of using a product line which contains moisturizing ingredients only....NO PROTEIN in any form and a separate protein enhanced product line.
I figure I get a better handle on rotating and monitoring my hair's needs...plus I don't have to think about it much w/this approach...:lachen:

This is very true!

Yeah, I tried really hard to be a "purest" about haircare at first (no cones, no mineral oil, no parabens, no protein, all natural, etc.) and my hair and pocketbook suffered :wallbash:. I just listen to my hair now and take reasonable precautions and read labels and use what works . . .

Yeah, I tried really hard to be a "purest" about haircare at first (no cones, no mineral oil, no parabens, no protein, all natural, etc.) and my hair and pocketbook suffered :wallbash:. I just listen to my hair now and take reasonable precautions and read labels and use what works . . .

LHCF has taught me the beauty of differences.....:grin:

I haven't experienced any sufferings releasing chems from my life. I admit the hunt has been long and tedious to meet my hair's needs in a 'purest' fashion but I did it and I'm proud of it...:yep:

I have one last hurdle to jump and I'll be chem free...'xcept for the air I breathe, the foodstuffs on the market for me to eat and the water which pours from my faucet....:lachen: ... YAR....

Have a great day...:grin:

Back