Why do a lot of "hydrating" products have keratin protein?

Whats up girl!

With the protein sensitivity thing, I really am going to have to do more research to dig deeper into my theory behind some of it. I think the critical thing we have to remember is that all protein is not the same. My theory behind the bolded is that is has more to do with the cuticle and how it is constructed which is why even when you look at a group of typical 4b heads, protein sensitivty varies so much.

One thing I want to clarify is that you have lots of cuticle layers and still have high porosity just as you can have less cuticle layers that are super tight causing you to have low porosity. This is why some women still have resistant hair, even if their hair isn't the typical resistant "coarse, wirey and thick". If you have low porosity, your dryness usually comes from the fact that you have a hard time getting moisture into the hair strand and if you have high porosity (raises hand) then your hair has a hard time holding on to it............................Adequate protein can help fix both problems and here is how. ...............As the thread already stated by many many posters in this thread, hair needs protein to hold onto moisture. Those with high porosity benefit from protein on a steady basis to help keep our cuticle smooth and to keep moisture in our hair. One reason many fine hair product lines are basically mild protein lines is for this reason. Protein with its moisture carrying properties, can be a relativly weightless moisturizer especially when combined with gentle moisturizing agents that are light on the hair strand. That way the hair can be moisturized without weighing it down. Now for the converse....using proteins that have a small molecular weight like silk can help penetrate the hair strand. These proteins carry a little moisture with them too thus helping the low porosity hair stay conditioned. Combined with more bulky emollients like certain non volitale silicones, butters (shea, mango etc..), oils and the typical emollients and humectants like all of the fatty alcohols, you have a conditioner that can help moisturize lower porosity hair. This is one reason why one product can be used by either type but for different reasons. For example, Motions Moisture Plus does nothing for me. The only thing it is good for a quick rinse and even then I can only use a little of it and only for trying to get some slip. Now other ladies swear by it for keeping their hair moisturized. They tend to have thicker more resistant hair than I do. Same with ORS replenishing. We all know its a moisturizing mild protein but some people use it here as a moisturizing conditioner after heavy protein like aphogee without any problem, other can only use it as a mild protein treatment.

Thanks so much girl!!! :) This is extremely helpful. I can see how cuticle layers may impact protein sensitivy regardless of whether the hair strand is fine of thick.

Of to print out page 2:roadrunner:!

I think the amount of bonds they have to break have a lot to do with it. I also notice with them that the line of demarcation isn't that pronouced either. Those chemicals *I believe* are also not at "strong". I'll have to check on that though. I really don't remember. One way you know Asians have very strong (in terms of protein bonds) hair is how they color. It usually takes alot more elbow grease to get them lighter. I think that is because the melatin that gives our hair color is all intertwinned with our protein bonds. Because they have so many strong ones, it takes longer to get the pigment to lift.

I also just wanted to add that the above is one reason why ammonia thio isn't used as a straightening agent even though the pH is lower than the usual straightening chemicals.

gymfreak, i dont care if by next month, your hair gets jacked up and breaks all the way to half an inch, i vote you for feature of the month!:cup: i have learned SO FREAKIN MUCH!

yet i'm still confused. i'm relaxed, and no matter what i use, by the end of the day, my hair is pretty much hard, and if not hard, just really dry. i also consider myself protein sensitive (which confuses me cause i thought chemically treated hair needed protein) it's also a lil rough which i guess means my cuticles arent layin flat (cold water doesn't help that much), and i think my hair i porous
as of right now i use saa, coconut oil, and this mizani conditioner with ceraminde in it, and a lil henna (which they say can act like a protein) So, according to what i got from you, am i using too many protein-ish ingredients? should i stick with the types of protein that help hold moisture in like keratin?

gymfreak, i dont care if by next month, your hair gets jacked up and breaks all the way to half an inch, i vote you for feature of the month!:cup: i have learned SO FREAKIN MUCH!

yet i'm still confused. i'm relaxed, and no matter what i use, by the end of the day, my hair is pretty much hard, and if not hard, just really dry. i also consider myself protein sensitive (which confuses me cause i thought chemically treated hair needed protein) it's also a lil rough which i guess means my cuticles arent layin flat (cold water doesn't help that much), and i think my hair i porous
as of right now i use saa, coconut oil, and this mizani conditioner with ceraminde in it, and a lil henna (which they say can act like a protein) So, according to what i got from you, am i using too many protein-ish ingredients? should i stick with the types of protein that help hold moisture in like keratin?

I got a long ways to go before I ever qualify for that but thanks for the compliment.

I think you don't have enough hardcore moisture in your regime. What other conditioners do you have?

Sistaslick has some articles and one of them is about how to choose your products. That one might help you out. She has lots of goodies, just check her siggy for the links.

I got a long ways to go before I ever qualify for that but thanks for the compliment.

I think you don't have enough hardcore moisture in your regime. What other conditioners do you have?

Sistaslick has some articles and one of them is about how to choose your products. That one might help you out. She has lots of goodies, just check her siggy for the links.

i think you're right. aside from co-washing, i use mostly oils, and do treatments with oils only (steam, hot oil treatments) off to go search for a dc!

Back