Why Can’t Middle-Aged Women Have Long Hair?

CurlyMoo

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/fashion/24Mirror.html

MIRROR-articleLarge.jpg

It’s become a cultural norm: women of a certain age cut off their hair.
By DOMINIQUE BROWNING

Published: October 21, 2010

MY mother hates it. My sister worries about it. My agent thinks I’m hiding behind it. A concerned friend suggests that it undermines my professional credibility. But in the middle of my life, I’m happy with it. Which is saying a lot about anything happening to my 55-year-old body.

I feel great about my hair.

I have long hair. I’m not talking about long enough to brush gently on my shoulder — when I tilt my head. I’m not talking about being a couple of weeks late to the hairdresser. I’m talking long. Long enough for a ponytail with swing to it. Long enough to sit against when I’m in a chair. Long enough to have to lift it up out of the sweater I’m pulling over my head. Long enough to braid.

What’s worse (to my critics) is that my hair is graying. Of course it is. Everyone’s hair is graying. But some of us aren’t ready to go there. That’s fine with me — I’m not judgmental about dyes. In fact, I find the range and variety of synthetic hair color to be an impressive testament to our unending chemical creativity. I’m particularly fascinated by that streaky kaleidoscopic thing some blondes do that looks kind of like Hair of Fawn. For my own head, I’m a tad paranoid about smelly, itchy potions.

No one seems to have any problems when a woman of a certain age cuts her hair off. It is considered the appropriate thing to do, as if being shorn is a way of releasing oneself from the locks of the past. I can see the appeal, and have, at times in my life, gone that route. Some women want to wash the men (or jobs) right out of their hair. Others of us have to have at them with scissors. Again, I do not judge. Go right ahead, be a 60-year-old pixie.

So why do people judge middle-aged long hair so harshly? I’ve heard enough, by now, to catalog the multitudinous complaints into several broad categories.

YOU’RE ACTING OUT. Long hair is not the appropriate choice of grown-ups. It says rebellion. Hillary Rodham Clinton softens her do, and sets off a bizarre Howl of Angry Inches, as if she had betrayed some social compact. Well, my long hair is indeed a declaration of independence. I am rebelling, variously, against Procter & Gamble, my mother, Condé Nast and, undoubtedly, corporate America in general. Whereas it used to be short hair that was a hallmark of being a liberated woman — remember the feminist chop? I do; I did it — these days, long hair is a mark of liberation.

My mother has a lot to say about my looks: Where did you find that shirt? Did you forget your makeup? She recently suggested, fluttering her hands in the vicinity of her ears, that I get just a very little trim. As if she thought she could still trick me into the barber’s chair to re-enact one of the central traumas of my childhood, when I was marched into a hair salon (so that’s where mothers went?) with hair to my waist and came out an outraged, stunned, ravaged 7-year-old with a stylish, hateful pageboy.

My mother’s favorite expression to me is “Make an Effort.” What she doesn’t understand, of course, is that just because things don’t turn out the way she thinks they should doesn’t mean an effort wasn’t made. It is incredible how parents and children never let go of old habits of relating. My mother still makes me feel like a 15-year-old. However, that no longer feels like a bad thing, if you see what I mean.

YOU’RE STILL LIVING IN THE ’70S. And why not? I like being 55 going on 15. As far as I’m concerned, we never did get better role models than that gang of girls who sang their hearts out for us through lusty days and yearning nights: Bonnie Raitt, Joni Mitchell, Linda Ronstadt, Cher. Emmylou Harris is still a goddess in my book, with that nimbus of silver hair floating past her shoulders. Next thing you know, we’ll take to wearing beaded leather headbands across our foreheads. And, I might add, that was a good look.

If you want to throw Princess Grace, Brigitte Bardot, Ingrid Bergman, Pussy Galore, Sophia Loren, Charlotte Rampling, Isabelle Huppert, Julie Christie and Catherine Deneuve into the mix, who am I to complain? While those sexy sisters are hovering, I might note, with a sense of wonder, that Europeans are much more comfortable with long hair on women of a certain age. But then again, they’re more comfortable with women of a certain age in general. Perhaps I should move to Paris. Come to think of it, this would be making the kind of effort that would make my mother happy.

LONG HAIR IS HIGH MAINTENANCE. Yes, I’ll admit that it is a look that requires tender loving care. It is impossible to body surf without getting seaweed tangled up in it. It is impossible to get it completely dry when one is in a rush to get to a job interview or a blind date. It is impossible to forget one’s hairbrush when one travels. It is impossible to garden or farm or weave or cook without one’s hair getting in the way. I have knitted many a gray strand into many a scarf. Which, by the way, I consider a nice touch. Anyone who disagrees can send me back his Christmas present. It is impossible to let the vacuuming go for too long, lest the bezoars (new vocabulary word) become large enough to choke a tiger.

You would think that having long hair means you are spending a lot of money on hair products. I won’t even tell you what my Madison Avenue hairdresser, Joseph — the consummate high-end hair professional! — told me about how we shouldn’t even be using all those chemically laden shampoos. O.K., I will tell you: Those shampoos strip out the hair’s protective oils, and then you have to replace them with other chemical brews. He recommends regular hot water rinses and massaging of the scalp with fingertips. A little patience is required while the scalp’s natural oils rebalance themselves and — voilà — glossy, thick tresses, for free.

Is it not wonderfully sexy the way our grandmothers, those women of the prairie, or concrete canyons, would braid their hair up in the morning and let their cowboys unravel them at night? Is there not a variety of excellent looks for taming long hair in high winds? What is cooler than stopping to wrap a silk scarf around your mane before you step into a zippy convertible?

MEN LIKE LONG HAIR. Wait. You say that like it’s a bad thing? Long hair is archetypal. And everyone knows that archetypes are all tangled up with desire. There’s a reason mermaids, Selkies and witches have long hair. Ballerinas, too. We all know Rapunzel’s tale, how she sat at the top of her lonely tower, her long hair hanging out the window, until finally, a prince climbed its ropy length to rescue her. Or impregnate her, depending on which version you read. Either way, it worked.

Men like to play with women’s long hair. They like to run their fingers through heavy tresses. They like to loosen tight braids. They like it when long hair tents over their faces during soulful kisses. The long of it is that long hair is sexy. (So is short hair, of course, but in a different way, and we’re not making that case — yet.) The short of it is that long hair means there is always, at least, hope.

Someone has always told me that once you get to a certain age you stop caring what people think and stop trying to fit in a box or mold. You realize that you don't need someone to give you a promotion, a job, or you just know B.S. when you see it. So the bras come off (b/c they are gonna fall away) and the hair is cut. Priorities change in life. Being the "it" girl don't matter anymore when you know your age prohibits you from bring that "it" girl anyway. You just be the best you. You try to be comfortable and happy.

Now, my step mom, who has told me on more than one occasion, said that she wished she had never got married. She is still a size 6, wearing stilettos (having foot problems and back problems), and she still wears her hair long. My dad married her when she looked a certain way 30 years ago. He still expects her to look that way. She is allowed (yes I said allowed) to wear wigs because as he said ..she is an executive and she gets busy some times. It is like she is stuck. She is almost 65 and looks great but I really don't want to be her. I don't mind people being the best they can be and not taking each other for granted but I don't like to be boxed in. I got to let my girdle pop someday.

Someone has always told me that once you get to a certain age you stop caring what people think and stop trying to fit in a box or mold. You realize that you don't need someone to give you a promotion, a job, or you just know B.S. when you see it. So the bras come off (b/c they are gonna fall away) and the hair is cut. Priorities change in life. Being the "it" girl don't matter anymore when you know your age prohibits you from bring that "it" girl anyway. You just be the best you. You try to be comfortable and happy.

I think your post hits it on the head. I think are those who take the 1st option and stop caring and then there are those who can't seem to break away from trying to be what others want.

I know with as much effort as I am putting into getting my hair long, I'll be d#$m if I let someone tell me I have to cut it.

I gave up on being the "it" girl years ago. I am more like the "whatever" girl.

Someone has always told me that once you get to a certain age you stop caring what people think and stop trying to fit in a box or mold. You realize that you don't need someone to give you a promotion, a job, or you just know B.S. when you see it. So the bras come off (b/c they are gonna fall away) ....

Huh???? I don't know any old or older women who don't wear bras. It's not about keeping them up - it's just that it's undignified to have things showing through your top ... unless maybe if you work in adult services.

Long hair on older women - honestly that's personal preference. My personal opinion is I associate super long hair with girls and younger women - I also associate "out and wild" - bed head, free form fros, etc., with younger women but that's just me. The author wants to have long hair and wants everyone to applaud her for it - that's not gonna happen. If she likes her hair long then she needs to enjoy it and not worry about what other people think.

For some reason long vs short hair has been in the news lately. I have always heard that when you reach a certain age you cut your hair. Well I don't want to cut my hair. Why take away a womans femininity because she is now married, with children and at a certain age? It's my opinion that she should hold on to every bit of femininity that she can muster because this society tends to throw women under the bus when she reaches a certain age.

Here is an interesting quote from the comment section:

361.HIGHLIGHT (what's this?)

David FNYCOctober 22nd, 201011:04 am

Well, as a middle-aged man with hair down below my shoulders, now mostly corralled by a pony tail, I have to laugh. I understand people taunting a male for being a non-conformist, but to think that a woman would also be targeted with the same just for remaining true to herself and maintaining a hair legnth she likes is baffling to me.

My hair length has varied greatly over the years, and a few years ago I started letting it grow again, getting just a few trims to neaten it up as it lengthened. This is the third time in my life that my hair has been long. I am torn at the moment as to how short I want to cut it now because it is too long at the moment, reaching down well below my shoulders to the point where, yes, I must pull it out of a sweater.

I like a woman with long flowing locks, esthetically, and the bold liberated image it portrays. But I supposed that's also because I think little of those, male or female, who allow their appearance to be dictated by outside influences, regardless of whether they are appeasing or protesting them.

To be brutally honest, I think most Americans have become hapless lemmings. :lachen: As a result we have surrendered the notion of truly individual style in favor of a select group of socially correct options, so it can be determined which demographic you fit and enable the appropriate advertisers(and store clerks) can target you with appropraite offers.

Just as websites load you with cookies to track where you go and what you buy on-line, and the way your credit card purchase are analyzed to determine which products you're most likely to purchase, a salesperson who sees a shopper with the latest hairstyle knows they've found a customer on whom they can foist the latest, greatest fad of the moment, and expect them back the next time the fashion winds change direction.

It throws people's personality sensors off when you don't fall into one those socially correct groups and can't be pigeon-holed in that manner.

Huh???? I don't know any old or older women who don't wear bras. It's not about keeping them up - it's just that it's undignified to have things showing through your top ... unless maybe if you work in adult services.

Long hair on older women - honestly that's personal preference. My personal opinion is I associate super long hair with girls and younger women - I also associate "out and wild" - bed head, free form fros, etc., with younger women but that's just me. The author wants to have long hair and wants everyone to applaud her for it - that's not gonna happen. If she likes her hair long then she needs to enjoy it and not worry about what other people think.

So the bras come off (b/c they are gonna fall anyway)
That was a tongue and cheek to women's rights movement and burnin' of bras.

I think long hair can look a bit dated on older women.

One of the reasons why I think it is because shorter cuts/styles are relatively new (as in, coming into the modern era 20th century) and it's more cutting edge, no pun intended.

Even though you have Audrey Hepburn with her classic short cut, I don't think women (and by this, I'm restricting it to white since I don't think the "cut your hair" rule applies to black women or other women of other ethnic groups) really came into shorter styles until 1990s. 1970s was flower hair, 1980s was poofy hair, 1990s was sleek, 2000s is more modern twists to older looks.

I think with hair stylists attempting to define themselves by a cut or a look, it's easier to do it with making long hair shorter or at least have the hair frame your face (which short hair can better do in my opinion).

I don't think long hair is more feminine per se (because a woman is a woman) or that it can't be modern. But I do think that hair styles come and go in trends... So in 20 years, there might be a change, who knows?

I think long hair can look a bit dated on older women.

I use to think that also. If the hair is not care for of course it's going to look bad. I remember being at a function for my son and this older black woman had hair so long that when she sat down her hair touched the ground. While her hair was long it was nasty and unsightly. She should have cut the last 12"-18" of her hair off and it would have looked alot better.

I plan to wear my hair as long as I want to until I decide I want to do something different. I don't dye my hair either and I'm hoping and praying that it's all gray in my early 40's. Most of the older black women I see with long hair look great. They seem to take alot of pride in their hair and the hair seems to be in good condition.

I actually think the frozen/ perfect styles alot of older women wear makes them look like antiques. Hair should be wild, healthy and super big IMHO.:look:

(my husband stays trying to flatten my hair out when I straighten it. He presses down on it all that time, doesn't work though:giggle:)

I don't care what anyone says about my hair. Even my husband (and mother, father and aunts) would love for me to dye it but that's not happening.

i found that piece very interesting. i always thought that older women cut their hair because of convenience/personal preference.

as a rule of thumb, though, longer hair is associated with youth so you tend to see younger women going for shorter hair dos so as to look older/more mature in the workplace for example. so i guess the opposite (older women going for longer hair to appear younger) can be the result of societal perception as well. hmmm. just thinking aloud here

interesting article.

i'm in my 20s but i fully intend to keep my hair long because that's my best look, IMO. i won't ever cut it short. my hair at a longer length makes me look more feminine.

I think older women with shorter cuts do look better, more stylish and younger than ladies who allow their long, graying locks to remain. (I'm not saying ALL women because I personally know some long-haired foxy mamas). I've always questioned this until I've seen more than a few makeovers. Oh and if it's all silver or white, those short cute haircuts look fierce! I'll definitely be rocking one and you won't be able to tell me nuthin!!!...uh, when I'm ready.

For that matter, as hair grays and gets into the brassy metallics, it tends to make the face look haggardly to me, even if it's well cared for. Maybe pride or wanting to maintain youth disagrees but, please, PLEASE Lord, don't let me be in denial a moment too long. A cut updates a look on an older woman and allows her to look as sassy as she wants to be. That's a GRAND DIVA! But, that's JMO tho.

That "older women should cut their hair" "rule" is nonsensical. And the notion that long hair on older women is witch-like (a comment that has been showing up in the comments section of *every* article on this topic) is both offensive and ludicrous. When was the last time any of these commentators saw an actual witch anyway? Besides, it is culturally subjective; for example, a lot of older south Asian women are walking around with long hair without worrying about people thinking they are too old for long hair. I sure as heck won't be cutting my hair due to stupid societal notions.

Well...as a child growing up I was always under the perception that yes you do cut your hair when you get older. There are reasons for it which others have touched upon.

The idea you stop stressing and worrying and fickling with your hair and simply pick a mature style (short) which is easy to maintain and keep elegant. The perception that long hair is more typically associated with you whereas shorter hair is associated with maturity (little girls tend to have the longest hair). The idea that you are perhaps clinging to your youth or stuck in another decade.

I've had all these thoughts at one time and sadly some of them have been quite true of the women I've seen. HOWEVER, I think if you can maintain your hair and look confident and beautiful then you can do anything you want with your hair. I've seen some GORGEOUS older women with long white hair and I've adored it.

By the same token some of the other 'rules' I've seen applied to women of an older age are also negotiable. If you have dyed red hair then if you can make it look good keep it till you're older, if you like vibrant makeup that doesn't have to stop.

I will say this OP I don't think a woman choosing to cut her hair shorter or stop wearing makeup is her letting go of her femininity, I think it is her finally choosing to accept she doesn't need all the etc's to be beautiful and embracing herself without all the excess.

If you want long hair older or younger wear it. There are older women that look much younger, so then what? IMO you can't always judge someone by their age but features yes. There are some younger women that don't look right with long hair, facial features and styles IMO play key role in having longer/shorter hair as do wearing it curly or straight.

I think it depends on the person. I've seen older women with long, stringy hair... no make-up, frumpy clothes, over weight. Not a good look and the hair aged them. It was the whole look that aged them and the hair certainly didn't help. I think that if the hair is styled nicely it'll look fine.

I'll be 40 next year. I have no plans on cutting my hair short EVER. BTW 55 is not old, at least not to me. I go to networking events and I see the older Dominican and other Latina business ladies with long hair. I think they look elegant.

Maybe I'll wear my hair up more when I'm older, I dunno. My grandma had natural WL hair up until she was in her 90's. She wore it in buns or in two braids. That'll probably be me. As long as my DH likes my hair long I'll keep it long.

I think it depends on the person. Some older women look witchy with long streggeh hair but some older women keep it beautiful and look fierce.
Just as some women look gross with short cuts and some look "jazzy" (to steal a cute word from another poster)

In my family the women keep their hair SL the shortest. It wasn't until she turned 70 that my gram cut her bob into a short natural cropped style.

I'm 46 and I plan on growing my hair out as long as it will grow until I reach 50 at which point I will decide if I want it shorter or longer.

I personally think I look better with super short hair vs. longer hair, but I don't think that I look horribly bad with longer hair either :lol:

Having longer or shorter hair is definitely a personal choice after a woman reaches middle-age, but I don't think it right to have society or whoever tell you that once you reach a certain age you should cut--that most certainly is ridiculous!!

As long as I look good and get compliments on my long hair, I'll keep it. :)

I'm 40 soon and so happy to be alive with healthy, curly, wild hair.

It's not only about hair, it's about keeping yourself together mind, body and soul. :yep: If your overall look is on point, long beautiful hair is only going to add to your beauty.

[video=youtube;Gf4n6DbQlHE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf4n6DbQlHE[/video]

This woman is 50 with very long hair and I think she looks great!!

The day I start listening to/worrying about what fashion says, is the day I should really check myself into a retirement home because I will have surely started to lose my marbles. As long as hair is full and healthy and isn't overwhelming to the wearer or is maintained for the wearer so it's always on point, I do not see what business it is for anyone else what anyone does with her hair. Fashion needs to sit down some place and be silent. I've never paid attention to it, and I won't be starting any time soon.

These ladies are in their 60's and look great with long hair IMO:

MyrtisJones60-vi.jpg

carolyn-2009.jpg

gallery_main-christina-aguilera-cher-2010-golden-globes-awards-red-carpet-photos-01172010-12.jpg

These are in their fifties if I'm not mistaken:

20090312-tows-abuse-resources-help-290x218.jpg

catherineohara.jpg

Wanakee+at+LydiaDiffusion+.jpg

Ladies in their 40's who look lovely with long hair:

Brooke-Shields_3.jpg

courteney-cox1.jpg

So whose idea again was it that short hair is a must the older you get? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm 46 and I plan on growing my hair out as long as it will grow until I reach 50 at which point I will decide if I want it shorter or longer.

I personally think I look better with super short hair vs. longer hair, but I don't think that I look horribly bad with longer hair either :lol:

Having longer or shorter hair is definitely a personal choice after a woman reaches middle-age, but I don't think it right to have society or whoever tell you that once you reach a certain age you should cut--that most certainly is ridiculous!!

Honeycomb is that a pic of you? Girl you are fab!

The idea that long hair looks dated on older women is garbage. It wasn't considered dated on older women 200 or 500 years ago so why now? Because taste-makers and style arbiters have deemed it so? Feh!

I intend to be an old black woman with long hair and if other people think I look silly then that's what they think. And then they can go somewhere and shut up.

The day I start listening to/worrying about what fashion says, is the day I should really check myself into a retirement home because I will have surely started to lose my marbles. As long as hair is full and healthy and isn't overwhelming to the wearer or is maintained for the wearer so it's always on point, I do not see what business it is for anyone else what anyone does with her hair. Fashion needs to sit down some place and be silent. I've never paid attention to it, and I won't be starting any time soon.

These ladies are in their 60's and look great with long hair IMO:

MyrtisJones60-vi.jpg

carolyn-2009.jpg

gallery_main-christina-aguilera-cher-2010-golden-globes-awards-red-carpet-photos-01172010-12.jpg

These are in their fifties if I'm not mistaken:

20090312-tows-abuse-resources-help-290x218.jpg

catherineohara.jpg

Wanakee+at+LydiaDiffusion+.jpg

Ladies in their 40's who look lovely with long hair:

Brooke-Shields_3.jpg

courteney-cox1.jpg

So whose idea again was it that short hair is a must the older you get? :rolleyes:

You know Nonie, and I realize this is partially because of the way it's styled but I wouldn't consider any of those women's hair long per se (except the very last woman in the 50's category and Brooke and Demi). Of course their hair isn't short but I think it's that happy medium.

I guess I was thinking of older women with the waist length and hip length hair? All the women pictured look lovely and I wouldn't consider their hair too long at all.

You know Nonie, and I realize this is partially because of the way it's styled but I wouldn't consider any of those women's hair long per se (except the very last woman in the 50's category and Brooke and Demi). Of course their hair isn't short but I think it's that happy medium.

I guess I was thinking of older women with the waist length and hip length hair? All the women pictured look lovely and I wouldn't consider their hair too long at all.

@LittleLuxe That's odd that you don't consider their hair long. Guess you've been on hair forums for a bit.

When you do a quick search for long hair, BSL and thereabouts is what comes up on Google. If you think about it, how often do you see waistlength hair unless you're visiting Asia? So what lay people, not hair or hair forum fanatics, consider long and refer to when they talk of mature women not wearing long hair is represented in the pics I posted.

From what I've seen, when people talk of older people wearing short hair, they're thinking along the lines of a chin bob or even as short as the Halle Berry do of the 90's. And if you think I'm making it up, here's what comes up when you Google this.

Last edited:
Back