Why cant I

scarcity21

retain length at the front of my head and in my crown?
Im nat 4b and ive been on this healthy hair kick since 10/2006...given that ive had a few setbacks...The front and crown still breaks off. I know i have issues with my nape but what in da world is wrong with my crown? Ive tried ponytail baggying with a phony puff, braids with extensions, kinky twists, 2 strand twists without extensions, no heat, DCing regularly. I have half a mind to chop all this hair off:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Last edited:
retain length at the front of my head and in my crown?
Im nat 4b and ive been on this healthy hair kick since 10/2006...given that ive had a few setbacks...The front and crown still breaks off. I know i have issues with my nape but what in da world is wrong with my crown? Ive tried ponytail baggying with a phony puff, braids with extensions, kinky twists, 2 strand twists without extensions, no heat, DCing regularly. I have half a mind to chop all this hair off:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

What's your regimen? Be as detailed as possible.

What's your regimen? Be as detailed as possible.

Well, I used braids/kinky twists to grow out my hair after the BC for 2-3 yrs...I do them myself except for the 1st couples ones after BC, so I dont do them too tight. My hair was doing good except for a couple setbacks. Last June/ Sept, I had 2 bald patches (not my problem nape area )when I took out braids, So i suspected it was the VS so sexy condish Iwas using and not rinsing out. I knew my hair was protein sensitive but didnt realize it had protein in it:(
Anywho, Took a break from braids For about 9 months...My regimen then was to DC 1-2/week with Mane and tail texturising condish + EVOO + Elasta DPR...Sometimes, I would use Aubrey's honeysuckle rose+ EVOO+Lustrasilk mango shea butter. The last 4 or so months out the nine months...I started washing with kenra moisturising/clarifying poo once a month. (used to wash with poo 3-4 times a year bcos my hair would dry out really bad). DC was usually overnight or under steamer for 45 mins. Rince DC out, apply scurl and put in 5-6 cornrows and airdry. When completely dry, I would twist it up with some moisturising gel and this hair softner (cant remember the name , im @ work)...leave twists in for 3-4 days and wear the resulting twistoutfor 2-3 days (normally weekends) then repeat. Some times I would twist with this moisturising concotion I made from moisturising gel, shea butter, glycerin, black jamacain castor oil, and rosewater. Im still trying to figure out if my hair loves the shea butter(unrefined) or not. I moisturise everyday with scurl, the softner or moisturing gel and seal with shea butter mix.
Ive tried aloe gel, and i know it dries my hair out. Ive tried cowashing and i have yet to find a product to use as a leave in that will leave my hair moisturised. someone suggested the cactus lime leave in...didnt work...so for now Ive come to the conclusion my hair does not love cowashes...or Im not using the right products...im thinking about trying Redken curls product...i dunno...Right now I have micros that i installed myself on 5/23 and imma bout to take down this weekend or next....Ill have to evaluate my hair then and see how it is...but for some reason...my sides are the longest 7-8.5 inches...the crown and front are stuck at 5in and have been that length since last summer...what gives? I even tried ponytail baggying under a phony afro puff for a month or so, but I got tired of the same look.
I take my vitamins daily for the most part and I strated being compliant on my iron since March (my MD says im anemic)...im just fustrated at this point...I trim my ends 3-4 times a year..but im thinking about going to a hair stylist and have them do it either when I take the braids down or when I take down the next set that ill install...help ladies and sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
Well, I used braids/kinky twists to grow out my hair after the BC for 2-3 yrs...I do them myself except for the 1st couples ones after BC, so I dont do them too tight. My hair was doing good except for a couple setbacks. Last June/ Sept, I had 2 bald patches (not my problem nape area )when I took out braids, So i suspected it was the VS so sexy condish Iwas using and not rinsing out. I knew my hair was protein sensitive but didnt realize it had protein in it:(
Anywho, Took a break from braids For about 9 months...My regimen then was to DC 1-2/week with Mane and tail texturising condish + EVOO + Elasta DPR...Sometimes, I would use Aubrey's honeysuckle rose+ EVOO+Lustrasilk mango shea butter. The last 4 or so months out the nine months...I started washing with kenra moisturising/clarifying poo once a month. (used to wash with poo 3-4 times a year bcos my hair would dry out really bad). DC was usually overnight or under steamer for 45 mins. Rince DC out, apply scurl and put in 5-6 cornrows and airdry. When completely dry, I would twist it up with some moisturising gel and this hair softner (cant remember the name , im @ work)...leave twists in for 3-4 days and wear the resulting twistoutfor 2-3 days (normally weekends) then repeat. Some times I would twist with this moisturising concotion I made from moisturising gel, shea butter, glycerin, black jamacain castor oil, and rosewater. Im still trying to figure out if my hair loves the shea butter(unrefined) or not. I moisturise everyday with scurl, the softner or moisturing gel and seal with shea butter mix.
Ive tried aloe gel, and i know it dries my hair out. Ive tried cowashing and i have yet to find a product to use as a leave in that will leave my hair moisturised. someone suggested the cactus lime leave in...didnt work...so for now Ive come to the conclusion my hair does not love cowashes...or Im not using the right products...im thinking about trying Redken curls product...i dunno...Right now I have micros that i installed myself on 5/23 and imma bout to take down this weekend or next....Ill have to evaluate my hair then and see how it is...but for some reason...my sides are the longest 7-8.5 inches...the crown and front are stuck at 5in and have been that length since last summer...what gives? I even tried ponytail baggying under a phony afro puff for a month or so, but I got tired of the same look.
I take my vitamins daily for the most part and I strated being compliant on my iron since March (my MD says im anemic)...im just fustrated at this point...I trim my ends 3-4 times a year..but im thinking about going to a hair stylist and have them do it either when I take the braids down or when I take down the next set that ill install...help ladies and sorry for the long post.

Hmmmm. Well, all hair grows, so it should be assumed that your hair is growing, but you're not retaining your length.

Do you deep condition, moisturize, and shampoo your hair while in braids? If not, this could cause breakage and dryness over time.

I see that you said that you have micros. Perhaps the size of your braids is the problem? I know whenever I used to get my hair braided in braids any small than the width of a pencil, I would get breakage.

How adept are you at being able to tell whether or not your hair needs moisture or protein? Whenever I notice breakage I know that I'm lacking in one or the other.

Hmmmm. Well, all hair grows, so it should be assumed that your hair is growing, but you're not retaining your length.

Do you deep condition, moisturize, and shampoo your hair while in braids? If not, this could cause breakage and dryness over time.

I see that you said that you have micros. Perhaps the size of your braids is the problem? I know whenever I used to get my hair braided in braids any small than the width of a pencil, I would get breakage.

How adept are you at being able to tell whether or not your hair needs moisture or protein? Whenever I notice breakage I know that I'm lacking in one or the other.

Yea, I treat my hair the way I would when im outta braids, which includes, wash, DC, moisturize. My micros are normally smaller than pencil size unless I install kinky twists. With my hair, when I notice breakage with the dry, brittle feeling...Im thinking I need to lay off on protein and moisturise more, when its just breakage...i tend to up my protein a little...I dunno, is there something im missing?

Yea, I treat my hair the way I would when im outta braids, which includes, wash, DC, moisturize. My micros are normally smaller than pencil size unless I install kinky twists. With my hair, when I notice breakage with the dry, brittle feeling...Im thinking I need to lay off on protein and moisturise more, when its just breakage...i tend to up my protein a little...I dunno, is there something im missing?

Well, since you're getting noticiable breakage and you say that your hair is feeling dry, then you should definitely up your moisture.

If you don't plan on shampooing first, start off with a good hot oil treatment (extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil). Warm the oil slightly and massage gently into scalp and hair. Put on a plastic cap and sit under a heating cap/dryer on low for 20-30 minutes.
Follow up with a good moisturizing deep conditioner like:

HairVeda's SitriNillah Mask
Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus Mango
Salerm 21 Wheat Germ Mask
Miss Key 10 in 1 Conditioner
ElucenceMoisture Balancing Conditioner

Do a mixture of the conditioner, oils, and honey. Since you're suffering from breakage, it might be best to DC with heat (heating cap or dryer) for an hour or so. Go ahead and DC twice a week until you notice a change in your hair.

Follow up with a good leave-in conditioner, moisturize (I like Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream), seal and style.

If you're seeing a bunch of little broken pieces (not shedding) when you comb your hair, then something is wrong. If your problem is dryness, then continuing the extra moisture will improve your hair over time.

The key is...and I"m still working this out myself :rolleyes:...figuring out what your hair is saying to you.

Well, since you're getting noticiable breakage and you say that your hair is feeling dry, then you should definitely up your moisture.

If you don't plan on shampooing first, start off with a good hot oil treatment (extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil). Warm the oil slightly and massage gently into scalp and hair. Put on a plastic cap and sit under a heating cap/dryer on low for 20-30 minutes.
Follow up with a good moisturizing deep conditioner like:

HairVeda's SitriNillah Mask
Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus Mango
Salerm 21 Wheat Germ Mask
Miss Key 10 in 1 Conditioner
ElucenceMoisture Balancing Conditioner

Do a mixture of the conditioner, oils, and honey. Since you're suffering from breakage, it might be best to DC with heat (heating cap or dryer) for an hour or so. Go ahead and DC twice a week until you notice a change in your hair.

Follow up with a good leave-in conditioner, moisturize (I like Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream), seal and style.

If you're seeing a bunch of little broken pieces (not shedding) when you comb your hair, then something is wrong. If your problem is dryness, then continuing the extra moisture will improve your hair over time.

The key is...and I"m still working this out myself :rolleyes:...figuring out what your hair is saying to you.
Thanks ...yea I do need to up my DC game and see if that helps:: and I guess I need to be more patient.

Back