Why am I feeling guilty......

At her age she would have been better off with braids. But what's done is done. I'd write down care instructions for her and tell her if she doesn't follow them exactly as written - she'll end up bald. I know that's harsh but you have to be forthright with children. She may or may not follow your instructions, but you'll have done your part. Eleven is young but it's not too young to learn about choices and consequences.

I agree about the braids or some sort of protective styles (i.e. twists) that she can spray, moisturize daily, and wrap with a silk scarf.
I also agree about writing down directions and going over them with her.
Buy her some books. I've read Caroline Gray's book, which includes a detailed regimen that you can tweak and simplify. There's also Cathy Howse and even our LHCF authors such as Chicoro and SistaSlick (I've yet to read but plan to add to my collection).

You are still doing a good thing by even caring. So don't beat yourself up. She can rise to the occasion, if she has all the info.

Do not feel guilty it is done now. You can make sure in moving forward to teach her how to take care of her hair. You will have to baby feed her but it can be done....

I guess I'm always the way left person. I wouldn't feel guilty. When I was 11 I know I knew that my hair had to be combed and washed every 2 weeks if I didn't know anything else. Umm she needs to take some responsibility for herself. She is old enough to learn to take care of her own hair instead of depending on others. And if she is too immature to do that...that's where her dad comes into play and makes her.

Dad said if they suggested it to have it done. She is totally pleased with her hair. She has texted me a ton of pictures of her hair. She is loving it now but my fear is that if its not maintained properly she is going to be really upset. Knowing me I will be at their home every other day taking care of it because I feel bad.

Well I don't know about every other day I'm to have the responsibility of taking care of my SO daughter hair However I helped fixed some damages from previos relaxer damage from overprocessed relaxer and lots of breakage What I can tell you she is going to fight the extra care that's has to be done That we know comes with relaxed hair. my so daughter finally understood the importance but only after six months and the healthy condition of her hair is in now compared to before. However I didn't overwork myself once a week I will treat her hair. I also wrote down what she needs to do and the reprocussions what would happen if she didn't The damage is done however with u being
apart of lhcf u can research on tangles or dry hair in regards to your situation
could have been a question to ask Don't feel bad just figure out a plan. Once a week go over and treat her hair ten show her for her benefit also ask lhcf prior to any big hair decisions these ladies are on point

Last edited:
Back