Who still uses Phyto hair products?

For your $60 you get your kit and total control over the process including how much rinsing, how many times the neutralizing shampoo is used, if a protein treatment is done in the middle, if the extra deep conditioning is done, if only a wide-toothed comb is used instead of a fine-tooth that can rip out your hair, and no arguing with a stylist about unwanted trimming. I like having that control. :yep:

Just to jump on board. I statrted to use the phytospecific index II relaxer last year. I have used it three times after 6 months stretches and I love it. It relaxes the mass of new growth but does not take all the texture out of the strand. My hair feels wonderful.

I use the Intensive Nutrition Mask too as a protein traetment. Is that correct?

For your $60 you get your kit and total control over the process including how much rinsing, how many times the neutralizing shampoo is used, if a protein treatment is done in the middle, if the extra deep conditioning is done, if only a wide-toothed comb is used instead of a fine-tooth that can rip out your hair, and no arguing with a stylist about unwanted trimming. I like having that control. :yep:

And there you have it!:yep:

LOVIE!!!!

I've been accidentally stalking you all week. It just so happens that you are using a lot of the products the I'm researching. I'm really on the fence about my next relaxer and it's closing in on relaxer day. I will be 12 weeks post after this coming friday and I was contemplating which relaxer to use. I have been leaning heavily towards phyto because it's no-lye without the calcium (so it shouldn't cause calcium build up, right?). I also like that phytorelaxer has proteins in it to help rebuild the hair while breaking it down. I think that's how hair maintains that little bit of texture, which is what I want. But part of me wants to go back to lye relaxers at the salon. Here's my predicament.

1. If I relax with Phyto I would do it at home and let my mother apply it in stead of my stylist so that it would still be cost affordable. BUT my mother is more apt to overlap. I don't know if overlapping is an issue with Phyto because it does maintain the hair's integrity.

2. If I go to the salon I would use their Design Essentials relaxer which is also supposed to be not as damaging to the hair, and the stylist would be less apt to overlap. But lye burns, and I can't stand that.

I guess my mane (teehee) issue here is the overlapping, and knowing which one will give me texlaxed hair (I still want a little bit of wave). And secondly it would be the price. For $60 all you get is a box kit and more control over the neutralizing, washing, and styling process if you do it at home. If I went to the salon, for $60 I would get everything done for me tip included. You feel me here? Am I being to cheap?

I also have this theory that if you used Phytonectar prepoo oil on your hair before getting a salon lye relaxer that it could be somewhat like getting a phytorelaxer. It's got 12% concentration of egg yolk protein. That's a very high concentration if you ask me. I don't know how chemistry inclined you guys are (I love that nerdy stuff), but it stands to reason that it could help out at the salon.

I'm also torn my Phyto's great marketing. I really believe that Phyto is the best hair brand out there and I want to be a Phyto girl so badly. I love phytospecific products, but I know that relaxers are nothing to play with. Can you girls tell me if you've experienced dryness with your Phytorelaxers at all?

Hi there Lucious Locks. You're funny. :wave:

There is a lot you mentioned so I will try to address it line by line -
1. My recommendation would be to purchase the Phyto, and apply at home. Reason, I think you get more value from the product of Phyto, the flexibility of controlling the applciation process, and healthier hair in the long run. Cover the relaxed hair with a very thick mineral base conditioner so if your mom does overlap (and as she rinses off) you won't re-relax hair. I use Queene Helen Cholestorol to cover my already relaxed hair. Also you have the benefits of personalizing your application process, as the user above mentioned. Also, if you LIKE the texture, even better! Over time as you continue to self-relax/have your mom do it, you wouldn't have to worry about this overlapping if you underprocessed a bit. Actually I used to intentionally underprocess so that the next application I didn't have to be TOO concerned about overlapping. There is a thread here somewhere about applying relaxers intentionally that way, I'll check around for the link that explains.

2. Cost of Phyto vs. Value. No you're not being cheap, just considering whether it is basically worth the investment now, which is fine. Remember that when you buy this $60 relaxer, you are NOT purchasing it ever 8 weeks to re-touch. You will see if you continue to use it. So the cost actually averages out to almost the same cost. If you stretch 12-14 weeks each application, you are only buying 2 boxes a year. Each box contains 2 touch ups, so $30 a touch up is only $15 more than affirm. If you spend extra on conditioner, why not make the investment for the chemical alteration of your hair? Another thing, if your goal is length retention, there is no doubt in my mind that Phtyo-laxed hair in 10 years will be much stronger than any other relaxer that I have seen thus far, incl. Design Essentials.

3. Phytonectar. I have this product, I have been using it since December. I use to pre-poo when I want to add a bit of strength but not too much protein to my moisture DC routine w/ heat. I do not think this product will protect the effects of a chemical relaxer on your hair, but you could try it, plus conditioner. Myself, I would not do it. If you're going to spend $24 on the pre-poo, why not just consider the extra cost for a Phyto relaxer. Its like, no overlapping but possibly over relax your hair, vs. possibly overlap on hair that wouldnt relax straight if you slept in it. (Once I TRIED to get it bone straight with a Phyto I, didnt work for me :look: ) Anyway, this is just my opinion based on my experience, and the experience of other converts who went from Affirm to Phyto. I know 2 of my friends have been walking right along side me with this journey. One is mid-back 4a/b length, the other is almost APL 3c curly. I am a keep cutting to shoulder 4a/b, trying to get rid of the hair that wasn't relaxed with Phyto cause it sucks.

Hey, any possibility you could call to see if any salons carry Phyto and what the cost is? Many have started doing it in the DMV area.

4. Dryness. The first time I changed to Phyto, I bought the box to my stylist, hoping for a discount for supplying my own product. NOPE. Still $125 for applation. Anyway, when she was done, she thought the "finish" seemed try, not as "smooth" as affirm. Well, next touch up, I was back - and the second application, she said, "hmm, much better, your hair seems healthier." After that, $400 application process, I decided to do it at home. Thats when I realized that because you are not "bone straight" your hair seems unusual, because you have never seen its natural loose curl before. I think this is what first time users think is dryness. Also, maybe because there is more texture, you need more moisture after 20+ years of relaxing with other types of relaxers.

Bottom line, my hair has never felt healthier. I don't experience dryness at all. I do find that because of my texture, I need more moisturizing products than ever before, and not nearly as much protecin protection as I did when I used Affirm. Now the only time I go to the salon is when I pay $40 for a 60 minute scalp massage. Its nice to be free. :eek:)

Exactly! The kit may be $54, but the "extras" are priceless.

Just to jump on board. I statrted to use the phytospecific index II relaxer last year. I have used it three times after 6 months stretches and I love it. It relaxes the mass of new growth but does not take all the texture out of the strand. My hair feels wonderful.

I use the Intensive Nutrition Mask too as a protein traetment. Is that correct?[/quote]

Yes, I would agree with that, I consider it a protein too.

*trying to prevent potential future phyto board bashing again...I have never recovered from it and remain bitter...yes, I said it..*

Last edited:
Thanks so much, Lovie & Newflowers. I will go to Sephora either today or tomorrow and get the Phyto Index II. It sounds like the value of retaining length, and control over neutralizing outweigh all other consideration. I have always been a no-lye girl, and my mom has always done my hair except for the 5 times in my life that I've actually had a professional relaxer. Since it's not broken, I won't fix it. I'm much more confident in my choice to buy phytorelaxer with all of your reviews and knowledge to bolster my decision making process.

Seriously, thanks a million.

I still use Phyto.. I use Phyto Index II and that's it...Their products are too expensive and I can find cheaper alternatives nevertheless I'm going to stick with the relaxer because it's the only relaxer I can use that doesn't burn my scalp.

I have another question now that I've decided to buy the relaxer. How many boxes will I need? I have no clue how much comes in one box. I have one inch of new growth and have never before stretched for this long.

I have another question now that I've decided to buy the relaxer. How many boxes will I need? I have no clue how much comes in one box. I have one inch of new growth and have never before stretched for this long.

I did a virgin relaxer using Phyto and only used one box, so you should only need one for a touchup. Warning: don't freak out when you open the container and see the small quantity. When you add the activator and mix them together, it seems to expand.

You will certainly not need more than one box. I do recommend the acv rinse to get to white suds. In my experience, it takes many washes before the pink suds go away without the acv rinse.

ETA: the method of putting other products into the phytorelaxer does not, in my opinion, make the relaxer more effective. I suggest trying it straight the first time. I do add silk amino acids to the reconstructor which my hair quite appreciates.

Last edited:
You will certainly not need more than one box. I do recommend the acv rinse to get to white suds. In my experience, it takes many washes before the pink suds go away without the acv rinse.

ETA: the method of putting other products into the phytorelaxer does not, in my opinion, make the relaxer more effective. I suggest trying it straight the first time. I do add silk amino acids to the reconstructor which my hair quite appreciates.

I really, really despise the milky reconstructor. I use either Nexxus Keraphix or ORS Hair Mayo.

ETA: I just looked at eBay and both the Type I and II relaxer packages are on sale for $47. Hope that makes it easier for someone. :yep:

Last edited:
I did a virgin relaxer using Phyto and only used one box, so you should only need one for a touchup. Warning: don't freak out when you open the container and see the small quantity. When you add the activator and mix them together, it seems to expand.

to the bolded: I'm glad you told me now before i did just that.

to the bolded: this is great to know because I'm always really worried about neutralizing. i had read a thread a while back walking about how a member had shampooed her hair 3 times while neutralizing. On the third wash her suds were white. But then she washed again and left the shampoo on her hair for a while, and when she rinsed the suds were pink!!! so that just goes to show you that the neutralizing step is super tricky and uber important.

I really, really despise the milky reconstructor. I use either Nexxus Keraphix or ORS Hair Mayo.

ETA: I just looked at eBay and both the Type I and II relaxer packages are on sale for $47. Hope that makes it easier for someone. :yep:

Hahaha. Good to know. In my research of this product, some people love it, and some people don't. Some people love it so much that they would like to purchase it all by itself, but then I've got you saying that you'd rather do without it. I'm going to use everything n the box just like the directions say. I hope I love everything.

to the bolded: I'm glad you told me now before i did just that.

to the bolded: this is great to know because I'm always really worried about neutralizing. i had read a thread a while back walking about how a member had shampooed her hair 3 times while neutralizing. On the third wash her suds were white. But then she washed again and left the shampoo on her hair for a while, and when she rinsed the suds were pink!!! so that just goes to show you that the neutralizing step is super tricky and uber important.

Hahaha. Good to know. In my research of this product, some people love it, and some people don't. Some people love it so much that they would like to purchase it all by itself, but then I've got you saying that you'd rather do without it. I'm going to use everything n the box just like the directions say. I hope I love everything.

It might be fine if you do a DC afterwards. The ONE time I used the reconstructor I didn't DC and my hair felt like yuck to the touch.

Neutralize and condition well - the acv rinse lowers the pH very quickly - I do this step after the first shampoo, but I am paranoid about neutralizing.

I hope you love it as much as we do.

I just discovered that we had some acv in the cupboard downstairs. I'm taking it up to my room so no one uses it before I need it.

Question: Should I mix the whole kit? Or will half of everything be enough for my 1 1/4 inch of new growth? I've yet to see the amount of relaxer than comes in the box. I should go pick some up today.

Unfortunately, I think you'll need the whole it because half will be slightly too little, though the entire thing will be too much. Maybe someone else who does long stretches will chime in and give you actual benefit of experience. If you're going straight, then definitely the whole thing.

I stretch about 12 weeks minimum, and I only use half a box. I am very careful in my application. I do not mix the whole jar because I don't want to waste. I take half the creme out, put it in a separate plastic bowl, and mix half the activator mix. I use it all with nothing left, but I never feel that it is not enough. If I am running low, I can often take the relaxer from parts where I may have applied too much, or what comes off of smoothing. To keep it in perspective, by the time I am 12+ weeks post, there is usually about 1.5 + inches of new growth.

So, I bought the Phytolaxer a couple of days ago. I was supposed to relax on Saturday, but I'm going to relax tonight because my mother changed her schedule around. So we will have a girls night in!!!:grin:

Here's my game plan, which I've amended since my last relaxer. It was kind of a let down. I used Optimum Care anti breakage regular strength.

1. Base with petroleum jelly and cover previous hair with petroleum jelly. This will thereby eliminate the pre relaxer balm included in the phyto kit. (I've never had good luck with those things anyway).
2. Relax only the new growth. I will beat this into my mother's skull as sometimes she gets overzealous. But she had a bad salon experience 3 days ago, so she of all people will know not to overdo my hair. I'll me mixing the whole box just to be on the safe side. My new growth is kicking.
3. Neutralize!!! This is where it gets tricky. I will be incorporating the ACV rinse as newflowers suggested. I will probably was once quickly. Do the ACV and then wash 3 more times then chelate. (I have ORS creamy aloe poo for that, and I hate it so! It's got ALS and ALES!:nono: Can you say harsh?)
4. Milky Reconstructor for 7-10 Minutes.
5. Joico Intense Moisture Hydrator for 5 Minutes. (it's got a super low pH 3.5 and keratin) It's a champ on relaxer day. :grin:It's the only thing that makes my hair smooth again.
6. Steam treatment with Kenra for 15 minutes to add back softness.

Lord, that's a lot. But I'm praying for a good outcome and minimal breakage. I'm 12 weeks post as of today, and I've really decreased the amount of breakage that I get and I'm so proud of myself! I'd hate for that to go down the drain today. Wish me luck.

Hopefully at the end of today I'll be Phi Phyto Phi for life!

So, I bought the Phytolaxer a couple of days ago. I was supposed to relax on Saturday, but I'm going to relax tonight because my mother changed her schedule around. So we will have a girls night in!!!:grin:

Here's my game plan, which I've amended since my last relaxer. It was kind of a let down. I used Optimum Care anti breakage regular strength.

1. Base with petroleum jelly and cover previous hair with petroleum jelly. This will thereby eliminate the pre relaxer balm included in the phyto kit. (I've never had good luck with those things anyway).
2. Relax only the new growth. I will beat this into my mother's skull as sometimes she gets overzealous. But she had a bad salon experience 3 days ago, so she of all people will know not to overdo my hair. I'll me mixing the whole box just to be on the safe side. My new growth is kicking.
3. Neutralize!!! This is where it gets tricky. I will be incorporating the ACV rinse as newflowers suggested. I will probably was once quickly. Do the ACV and then wash 3 more times then chelate. (I have ORS creamy aloe poo for that, and I hate it so! It's got ALS and ALES!:nono: Can you say harsh?)
5. Joico Intense Moisture Hydrator for 5 Minutes. (it's got a super low pH 3.5 and keratin) It's a champ on relaxer day. :grin:It's the only thing that makes my hair smooth again.

Lord, that's a lot. But I'm praying for a good outcome and minimal breakage. I'm 12 weeks post as of today, and I've really decreased the amount of breakage that I get and I'm so proud of myself! I'd hate for that to go down the drain today. Wish me luck.

Phi Phyto Phi til the day I die!! :grin:

Sounds like you've got a good plan; make sure you cover that previously relaxed hair really well, then you won't have to beat on your mother's skull! You know the drill: POST PICS!!!!!

Sounds like a great game plan - I look forward to reading about your results.

Sounds like a well prepared and thought-out plan! Please do come back and let us know how you get on! :grin:

I've got AGES to go before I can try it out - no fair! :D

PS: Will you be using Porosity Control as a final stage?

I recently BC'd however prior to my TWA I had switched to Phyto......and I LOVED it! If I ever went back to relaxing it would be Phyto all the way!

I also use the vitamins and love them too!

GOOD luck and pls post pics

:look: I only came into this thread because if I ever decide to relax my hair, it will certainly, most definitely be with Phyto. I use Phyto 9 for my 4A/4B, tight curls. It's a fantastic detangler and moisturizer. A good friend of mine swears by it for her relaxers and her hair always looked beautiful and healthy.

Since the thread isn't just about relaxers, I also have to say that their conditioning mask is wonderful, too. I didn't quite like the shampoo, though. :ohwell:

Phi Phyto Phi til the day I die!! :grin:

Sounds like you've got a good plan; make sure you cover that previously relaxed hair really well, then you won't have to beat on your mother's skull! You know the drill: POST PICS!!!!!

I certainly will.

Sounds like a great game plan - I look forward to reading about your results.

I look forward to reporting back.

Sounds like a well prepared and thought-out plan! Please do come back and let us know how you get on! :grin:

I've got AGES to go before I can try it out - no fair! :D

PS: Will you be using Porosity Control as a final stage?[/quote]

No. I've never used that product before. I hear so much about it in passing and never get around to asking what it does. Does it simply close the hair cuticle while conditioning?

LL - are you planning to mix the entire jar?

Yes, I will mix the whole thing. Just to be safe. I think I can take the $hit$ this time for the sake of good results.

^^^Yes it closes the cuticle after conditioning. There is a thread (or challenge) on the first page all about porosity, it's worth reading if you can.

For the Phyto relaxer veterans is it worth using the Milky Reconstructor? I've heard some negative comments about it...?

Back