Neala21

Do you have any severe breakage?
What's your regiment?
Pics? Fotki?
What's your texture?
Texture is cottony, wiry and so forth
What's your thickness?
Fine Medium/Normal or Thick

I was discussing with my sister straight (bone), semi straight (80-90%) vs born with hair naturally straight (like asians,etc)

It seems either way women can have relatively healthy hair with upkeep whether they achieve the look chemically or naturally have it.

I was just wondering if more thick haired ppl relax bone straight (for those who do choose to do so) to remove some bulkiness or for better manageablitity. Or would it even get bone straight for a thick hairred person since they have more cuticle layers.

Just pondering questions (I'm so back and forth to how straight I want to relax) as my sister who has fine hairred stated that she would probably never go bone straight as she as a fine hairred person looks to achieve thickness as I look to achieve middle ground.

What do you ladies think? (I've read articles of don't bone straight and so forth but isn't that the main reason relaxers were made - to acheive optimal straightness without curl pattern/texture)

I've ran across a few fotki of ladies with bone straight or I've pm'd asking relaxed women were they bone straight as part of trying to weight pros to cons.

Help me out - I'm trying to gain better insite without regret I guess you could say.

Sorry for such a long post. I know many women battle many different hair battles this seems to be mine at this point in time

Bumping... Bumping..

BTW: Can you tell I'm a relaxed newbie and a bit paranoid about hair health especially going straight with a relaxer. I don't want to make bad hair habits since I was relaxed up until 2005

i relax bone straight. my hair has begun to thin out. i've been transitioning for 7 months and doing it myself and now its healthy. i dont think i will ever get a relaxer again. but i think its because she was giving them to me every month or two. my hair doesn't need it that often. if i continue to get relaxers it'll be touched up every 4 or 5 months.

I have really thick hair and the times that I let my relaxer stay in until it was "straight" or nearly straight I never suffered any damage now that I moisturize and protein properly. But I don't use direct heat on my hair AT ALL, so I know that all helps.

I don't texlax and really don't see the point of texlaxing. Saying all of that, my wet hair, if I let it airdry will shrink up maybe 3 inches. So I still have curl/coil pattern in my relaxed hair but it isn't that defined b/c it was chemically processed.

Hope that helps, or at least gets the discussion rolling in your head.

I'm trying to get where you were. I want to transition, but I'm taking it a week at a time. I want my natural texture back with the freedom to straigthen when I want to. I wear my hair in a ponytail most of the time anyway and I love half wigs and weaves so I think being natural would give me more versatility.

Good luck on whatever relaxer strength you decide ! :yep:

i relax bone straight. my hair has begun to thin out. i've been transitioning for 7 months and doing it myself and now its healthy. i dont think i will ever get a relaxer again. but i think its because she was giving them to me every month or two. my hair doesn't need it that often. if i continue to get relaxers it'll be touched up every 4 or 5 months.

Congrats on the transitioning. Yeah I never relaxed that frequently, kind of always been a stretcher without even knowing it. My mom didn't believe in giving us (me and my 2 sis) relaxers often so it was done every 3-4 months

I have really thick hair and the times that I let my relaxer stay in until it was "straight" or nearly straight I never suffered any damage now that I moisturize and protein properly. But I don't use direct heat on my hair AT ALL, so I know that all helps.

I don't texlax and really don't see the point of texlaxing. Saying all of that, my wet hair, if I let it airdry will shrink up maybe 3 inches. So I still have curl/coil pattern in my relaxed hair but it isn't that defined b/c it was chemically processed.

Hope that helps, or at least gets the discussion rolling in your head. This definitely gets the discussion rolling in my head - it's already beginnig to be a fight in there...Oh well might have to call in the ref whoever that might be:spinning:

I'm trying to get where you were. I want to transition, but I'm taking it a week at a time. I want my natural texture back with the freedom to straigthen when I want to. I wear my hair in a ponytail most of the time anyway and I love half wigs and weaves so I think being natural would give me more versatility.

I wished I had of transition, I BC and I was kind of down for awhile because short hair isn't very fitting for me. But once I was in full blown natural world I was so happy. I'm still happy but as you can see well read I'm in a bit of a whirlwind situation.

Not one for much wigs or weaves although I have done them, I get irritable...I know I'm so weird. I even have a lacefront that I don't even wear...terrible I know --300.00 down the drain for a custom with a white birthmark made into it.

Anyways. Thanks for your insite, very helpful. Hopefully others chime in. TIA

Me!!!

Except I do it every OTHER relaxer so that it is not as damaging, overlapping is less dangerous, etc.

I self-texlax one month, go to salon for bone straight next relaxer, I self-texlax, etc.

Hope that helps, or at least gets the discussion rolling in your head.

I have been thinking about relaxing again this year and my hair is extremely thick. I noticed that when I did get this last relaxer it would shrink somewhat while air drying.

Me!!!

Except I do it every OTHER relaxer so that it is not as damaging, overlapping is less dangerous, etc.

I self-texlax one month, go to salon for bone straight next relaxer, I self-texlax, etc.

So how does that work? I know i just read a post on here about a process of underprocess-process-underprocess, etc.

When you self-texlax what's your timing? TIA

I'm going to check out your fotki I see in you Profile you have one. Your hair is very beautiful in your avatar.

ETA: Girl I'm checking out your fotki....OMG your hair is off the chain!!! I think you might be a new stalking fotki friend with good intentions. Lovely lovely hair

Last edited:
I relax bone straight...I've never had any problems.

I am a 3c/medium thickness hair texture.

Thanks...Looks like Bone straight is winning so far in my eyes and mind. Not necessarily a bad thing either. I've seen great heads of hair of all spectrums. :yep::rolleyes:

Back