who does not use gel to slick their hair back?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
any non gel users who still wear slick backs? not just "back" but "a pimp names slick back" slick backs:lol: with NO gel AT ALL. not even on the baby edges!

what do you use?

so far what gives me the best result is a conditioner that has aloe vera gel/juice in the top ingredients. aussie moist 3 minute miracle and giovanni conditioners work the best but i am not a fan of the smell.plus i would like larger bottles. i also use a layer of grease for extra hold and shine:grin:

i need some new recommendations?:lick:

Last edited:
When I wasn't using gel, I would spray my hair with a little water and then use Shea Butter to hold it down. This was best on clean hair, it seems as my hair got dirtier it didn't lay down as easily. I have fine hair, so I'm not sure if it will work for coarser hair.

When I wasn't using gel, I would spray my hair with a little water and then use Shea Butter to hold it down. This was best on clean hair, it seems as my hair got dirtier it didn't lay down as easily. I have fine hair, so I'm not sure if it will work for coarser hair.

did this get your hair slick? i have fine hair too and this gave me hot shea buttery mess:lol:

I use aloe gel...I don't know if you count that as a "gel" or not because it is not a traditional crunchy type gel...

I have used other things too..like my moisturizer and a scarf. As long as I use a scarf I am pretty good anyway...gel just adds a little artificial shine and whatnot....

I use aloe gel...I don't know if you count that as a "gel" or not because it is not a traditional crunchy type gel...

I have used other things too..like my moisturizer and a scarf. As long as I use a scarf I am pretty good anyway...gel just adds a little artificial shine and whatnot....

aloe vera gel is a gel:look:

maybe i should make my post a little clearer?

when you use a moisturizer and a scarf does your get slick
I am not just interested in getting the hair to lay down but get it slick back too.

I use Coffee Butter, water, and a paddle brush. It smooths down my edges all day.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I use Cantu Shea butter, and Elasta QP on my edges. Then I put a scarf on for a bit right after so it won't wave up.

I actually use a thick body lotion (Bodycology cream from Walmart). It has glycerin, shea butter, and all types of yummy stuff and holds better than anything else while moisturizing. Its a little white when it goes on but then fades by the time I take my scarf off.

OP, by slick do you mean shiny? Whatever you use to lay it down you could always add oils for shine.

I dont use gel at all- dont like how it feels.
What is a 'slick-back', does that mean the hair is wet?
I pull my hair back into a bun, but I do that after it's blown out, then I use a lil beeswax around the edges....water-based products like gel dont work for me.

I actually use a thick body lotion (Bodycology cream from Walmart). It has glycerin, shea butter, and all types of yummy stuff and holds better than anything else while moisturizing. Its a little white when it goes on but then fades by the time I take my scarf off.

OP, by slick do you mean shiny? Whatever you use to lay it down you could always add oils for shine.

when i mean slick back i mean
The-pimp-name-Slick-back-1.jpg

:lachen:

ok being serious now i just mean that the hair is as smooth and close to the head as possible. it looks different from just laying the hair down IMO

Moisturizer and a scarf gives me smooth laid down hair. I don't know about "slicked back" but it is as close to my head a possible and it's smooth. Well actually it gets kinda wavy so IDK if you would consider that "slicked back" based on your definition.

I don't use gel but I don't really care to have my hair "slicked back" if I am understanding the definition. I just comb it back moisturized hair then use my hands to smooth it back and the elastic that holds it in place. Then I just brush the short hairs along the hairline:

Braid-stretched hair (coconut oil):

October2008Puff-vi.jpg

Shrunken hair (S Curl):
roPuffSept12008Justoutofbraids-vi.jpg

I was doing this as well on my edges when I was natural.
I would put it on overnight and put my scarf on. My edges would stay "glued" to my hair all day. And it was soft.

If we have the same definition of "slick", my hair no do that :nono:....it's way to kinky to lay down and stand statue-still :lachen:

Good old water, a little shea butter and a scarf gets it flat enough for me though. Edges too.

I put Herbal Essence Twisted con. or Aussie Moist con. on dry hair, put a scarf on for atleast 15 mins, and it's held down quite well. (it gets firm but not crunchy, that's why i prefer it to reg. gel)
disclaimer: I don't use a brush & my curlz grow 'out' not down...so far I haven't been able to attain that "slick to yr scalp tightness" because my hairs too thick 4 all that
~hth

I make myself a beeswax pomade and it slicks my natural edges back flawlessly

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I just use moisturizer (Bee Mine Luscious) and oils and tie down w/a scarf overnight. maybe a little water. Thats it. I absolutely hate gel, all of them do nothing from me at all, never understood the hooplah.

aloe vera gel is a gel:look:.

Okay, I was confused because you said this:

so far what gives me the best result is a conditioner that has aloe vera gel/juice in the top ingredients.
So I thought aloe gel was all good with you :ohwell:

What is wrong with aloe gel? The only thing "gel" about it is the consistency, but the end result is far from a crunchy hold that a traditional gel like ecostyler would give you. Why do you need to avoid the word "gel" all together? My hair is too thick and coarse for that slicked back pimp look :look: but moisturizer and a scarf or aloe gel and a scarf work just fine to get my hair to sat down.

Photo: Pony puff | Puffs album | Ms-gg December 2010 Updates | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.
Photo: Day four it became a puff | Puffs album | Ms-gg December 2010 Updates | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.
Photo: 000 4972 | Puffs album | Ms-gg December 2010 Updates | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.
Photo: 000 4998 | Puffs album | Ms-gg December 2010 Updates | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

Sorry, guess I'll just bow out of this discussion...

^^ i agree that aloe gel isn't "Gel" like ECo. I use Aloe sometimes but what works best for me is leave in and oil (castor) on damp hair then silf scarf it overnight until it dries. I have dense fine strands btw

I find that when I moisturize and seal with conditioner, glycerin, coconut oil, and castor oil on damp hair, my edges lay down so slick and smooth like I used some gel.

Okay, I was confused because you said this:

So I thought aloe gel was all good with you :ohwell:

What is wrong with aloe gel? The only thing "gel" about it is the consistency, but the end result is far from a crunchy hold that a traditional gel like ecostyler would give you. Why do you need to avoid the word "gel" all together? My hair is too thick and coarse for that slicked back pimp look :look: but moisturizer and a scarf or aloe gel and a scarf work just fine to get my hair to sat down.

Photo: Pony puff | Puffs album | Ms-gg December 2010 Updates | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.
Photo: Day four it became a puff | Puffs album | Ms-gg December 2010 Updates | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.
Photo: 000 4972 | Puffs album | Ms-gg December 2010 Updates | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.
Photo: 000 4998 | Puffs album | Ms-gg December 2010 Updates | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

Sorry, guess I'll just bow out of this discussion...

I am not avoiding the word "gel" it is the properties of the gel i avoid which are more than just getting hard. for example, most gels ,even plain aloe gel cannot be mixed with conditioners without getting a "cottage cheese effect". some people can avoid this but most cannot including me.This is why when I make a specific distinction such as "no gel" I mean "no gel". does that make sense? this has been asked before and people got nasty with me for wanting specific answers.:look:

when a conditioner has aloe gel high in the ingredients i find it performs well for giving hold and keeping the hair soft. the results are not the same if say i got a regular conditioner and added aloe vera gel to it.

also i find all gels to be drying.even plain high quality aloe vera gel. it just makes my hair crispy and gives it no hold!

plus gel doesnt give me the look i desire.for me it is not enough just to get my hair to "sat down". also my hair looks totally different when i use gel vs a conditioner with aloe in it.

I was trying to narrow down to the people who wear their hair slick AND dont use gel. not just getting the hair to lay down. it seems that for the most part it is either or.

Oh okay, I get what you are saying...sometimes I get the cottage cheese thing too...nowadays I just use curl activator+ aloe but I get no clumps but Imma stop talking about aloe since you don't want it lol!

Good luck in your search :)

Back