Does anyone's hair NOT slick back? Pics

I look like a little kid that was playing on the playground all day

LOLLL. exactly.

Wow OP its like you were reading my mind. I have been bunning and I can't for the life of me get my sides slicked back how I want them. Normally I just clip all over the place and headband.

:yep: I do likewise. I usually use those thin elastic headbands (they are like 1 cm wide) and then add about a billion bobby pins to strap down the beast.

You all have answered my question wonderfully. I can't thank you all enough. I just watched a video on the Ecostyler gel and I definitely will try to invest in some (along with Fantasia) Im not expecting a miracle. Im sure I can live with the furry edges, but it's at least worth a try.

I mostly just embrace the fuzz/frizz. It's part of the fun. If I scarf it, it will lay down when I want to but it always has some poof to it and is never slick...Don't really want it slick.

Ha! My hair never slicked back when it was relaxed, except for maybe the first week or two after the relaxer :lol:

I just roll with it now, it's just part of how my hair is :)

LOOOOOOOOOOL i totally feel my hair hasn't slicked back since I've been natural and that's almost 5 years nothing works maybe we just have too much volume

wow, I knew I wasn't the only one. Gel and water definitely do not work for my hair. My mom used to put Jam and Dep in my hair when I was younger and relaxed. It worked. I had to give up my can of Jam after I went natural because it was not working anymore. EcoStyler+scarf= disaster...per today's experiment. I have to rewet my hair because I've already detroyed the curls through brushing. I may try a puff for today.

I agree with everyone using gel+scarf method. I get my edges to lay down by using aloe vera gel (tried other gels but they left nasty little goo balls in my hair) and I tie my hair down with a scarf. When I'm ready to leave the house I take my scarf off and my edges are laying down. They usually don't puff up during the day unless I sweat.

My edges are the same as OP's. My edges are a good 1-2 inches long (stretched) so if they aren't laying down it looks like a mini afro around the perimeter of my head. On wet/damp hair, I add Fantasia IC gel (green) and smooth with a boar bristle brush and then put a scarf on. The longer I leave the scarf on, the better my hair turns out. I'm hoping as my hair grows, my edges will do the same and I won't have this problem anymore.

gel does nothing for me. my hair has to be very well saturated/wet. gently comb thru that part with fine tooth. I put scarf on and it drys nice and smooth and stays like that. i could never do it if its already dry.

i never have slick edges, my hair looks like this .......but
CIMG2276-vi.jpg

..... but my roots look like this
V V V V V V
CIMG2285-vi.jpg

and
CIMG2302-vi.jpg

10 weeks post.

My edges and front of hair only slick down with lots of mango butter, shea butter cream, and gel. I have to use 2 types of gel, one moisturizing and one with ultra hold on top because the moisturizing gel causes my hair to curl up. I then have to use a bit of hair spray (max hold by Finesse) and then tie it down with my satin scarf to look presentable. Pics in my Fotki. I've been able to wear a presentable bun/pony with edges neat on 10 mos + post hair. It just takes time to find the right product to do the job. Since I pressed it for the 1st time during this transition last week, I have a new issue!

What to use to lay down the flyaway short straight hairs on pressed hair that is likely to revert with slight humidity? Well I made the mistake of putting shea butter cream and mango butter along with ultra hold gel and humidity resistant hair spray (with water in it) on dry pressed hair, and it started to revert a few mins later. Had to whip out the flat-iron to touch up the front and back surface of the hair. Anything with water or glycerin (a humectant that attracts moisture) in it (including hair spray) can't be used on my press to slick it down, so I had to resort to using Pump It Up spritz! I hate to use b/c of the alcohol in it, but it's the only thing I had nearby without a trip to the store.

I sprayed the Pump It Up (in pink, black, white bottle by BB or Bronner Brothers) on my hands, then slicked down the hair/edges using hands with my hair in a bun. Added my scarf, and it held nicely. Still has my hair laying down, but the scarf is integral! So I now know that serum, gel, butters/creams, and hair spray don't work to lay down short hairs on a dry press...I must use spritz or a grease-gel. IDK if the grease-gel will work (like Jam or Smooth 'N Shine) because if it has glycerin or aloe vera, or water in it, I'll be back to the wavies...and I'm tryna make this press that took me 2.5 hrs to do last at least 3 weeks! Next press I'll have my Sabino Moisture Block, and see if that actually allows hair to resist reversion. Sorry so long!

My hair poofs. I stopped fighting it. As long as it's not coming out of my bun or blowing around overmuch I don't worry about it.

:lol: I was slicking my wet-ish hair back into a ponytail tonight, using my homemade moisturizer. I was brushing in parts, from the left side of my head over to the right. As soon as I moved the brush over to the next part, the edges in the previous part would start popping back up, one little hair at a time. It was rather amusing, I kind of wished I could have filmed it, :lol:.

If I really want it to stay slicked back, I have to use gel, but it will only last a few hours at most.

ecostyler gel works really well for lying down hair. You may want to try the clear one with the firm hold and then tie on a scarf till it is at least mostly dry

On wet hair I used ORS carrot oil and tied my satin scarf on and in 30 minutes my hair would be slicktaculous! I wish I had some pictures

try tying it down with a scarf after you apply the gel and water. i usually keep my scarf on till i get to my destination, by then the hair is almost dry and laying nice and flat. hth

this^^^

i will also add, stop using water. water equals reversion. the water is working against you.

i would try a dab of oil ( to protect the hair from the drying effects of the gel) then apply your gel with a soft toothbrush or baby's hair brush.

If my hair is too clean (day of and day after a wash) it will not lay down. After it gets a little dirty I use whipped shea and mango butter and a silky scarf. For the most part, I let my hair do what it wants to. I don't even fight it anymore and we both are better off that way. :look:

In this picture I'm natural wearing a half wig. Pictures not the best but with my edges I spritzed my hair with water to make it damp and added some ecostyler, brushed some and put a scarf on. It looked perm straight, like fresh perm straight, lol

wig.jpg

It's not a problem for me but my hair never has slicked back and never will. No amount of the strongest gel will work. I've accepted it.

I have to agree with what other ladies have said: a nice, tight scarf. My hair is actually super easy to straighten (probably because it's so fine), but for some reason, I was NEVER able to have a sleek ponytail when I was younger unless my mom did it for me, even when I was relaxed. No amount of styling product worked/works. I can just remember using globs and globs of gel, thinking "Yes, it's gonna work this time!" and as soon as my brush was off my head...POOF. Haha...

Nothing works for me except a scarf.

I know it's an old thread, but anywho...

I have finally gotten my hair to lay flat, and stay like that. I put my hair in a pony tail, spritz with silicon mix and water concoction. Take toothbrush and brush EcoStyler gel in nice and smooth. My hair 'stiffens' but not to that crunch hard dry brown gel texture. I'm loving my buns now. My hair looks more like its in a pin up style now than just a ponytail.

Gel + Scarf aint working on this hair for more than 10 mins anymore.

I'm actually thinking about finding a nice thick pomade that will work.

Mine refuses to slick back--I can maybe get it that way for a couple of minutes before *poof* fuzzy halo. I'm learning to live with it and wear my hair in a messy, loose ponytail or completely loose so it all sort of blends.

My hair lays down with gel and the scarf method but only for a little while :ohwell: i get that little halo effect after awhile .i cannot get it to lay down otherwise. I haven't found THE product that slicks my hair back and stays back

Back