White Women with Black Texture

DDtexlaxd said:
There is no such thing as a "black" texture. Hair is hair. I know plenty of AA women w type 1 hair and plenty white women w/ coily/curly hair. I would offer advice, if they asked for it. Feel sorry for em? No.:p

ITA. How else would caucasian people have a 'black hair type'. Either somewhere in their lineage there was a black person, or there are hair types that are just more common in certain regions/groups of people. I remember going to school with some caucasian and asian people that had very curly/kinky, frizzy hair and always wondered 'how did that happen'?

I think people are getting caught up with the wrong idea. Feeling sorry for the whites with textured hair is due to lack of knowledge base. I feel sorry for black women with straighter hair because if mom is 4a or something she may not know what to do with 2a hair. I think there should be enough sympathy on a hair board for anyone who is having difficulty with their hair, no matter what the texture or race. If I were to wake up with 1a hair ( hope not) I would want someone to sypathize with the fact that I would have no idea how to do it and not talk about me because it was a hot mess. Just my opinion. I guess I just empathize with people too much.

I know what you mean. When I see anybody (black or white) with my hair type, 4a/4b. And it's obvious they don't know what to do with it I just want to pull them aside and give them some advice. I guess that's because I really didn't know what to do with my hair up until a few years ago so I understand their frustartion.
But definitely give her some friendly advice, maybe this will be an opportunity for you to become friends or at least more friendly. I'm sure she'll appreciate it. And please let us know how it turns out.

dicapr said:
I think people are getting caught up with the wrong idea. Feeling sorry for the whites with textured hair is due to lack of knowledge base. I feel sorry for black women with straighter hair because if mom is 4a or something she may not know what to do with 2a hair. I think there should be enough sympathy on a hair board for anyone who is having difficulty with their hair, no matter what the texture or race. If I were to wake up with 1a hair ( hope not) I would want someone to sypathize with the fact that I would have no idea how to do it and not talk about me because it was a hot mess. Just my opinion. I guess I just empathize with people too much.

I agree with you, and you usually get back what you are willing to share.

Back