White women have highest divorce rate...

So now the only reason we have a lower divorce rate than WW is because we desperately hold on to our horrible marriages? :perplexed

Damn!!!! We can't win for losing with our OWN black sister believing that crap!!!!!!! The brainwashing, negative stats worked!!!!! :nono:

I posted a thread awhile back about black teens being the least likely to engage in risky behavior, which came from the CDC, but people tried to discredit it. Oh well.:lachen:

Maybe I'm extra slow today or something, so forgive me if I'm not grasping this correctly...

It seems like the study is skewed. I don't understand how the divorce rate between White women and Black women can even be appropriately compared without error. Southternbella, I know you've explained the study to me, but for some reason I don't see how when on average, White women get married more than Black women, period, that the two can even be compared. With that being known, wouldn't it be almost expected their divorce rate would be higher on average, given they get married more than we do rather it be at age 30 or 70?

So now the only reason we have a lower divorce rate than WW is because we desperately hold on to our horrible marriages?
Damn!!!! We can't win for losing with our OWN black sister believing that crap!!!!!!! The brainwashing, negative stats worked!!!!! :nono:

I wouldn't say all of that. :lol:

I'm just sharing my experiences from what *I* see. My bad if it isn't providing the positive stats that you are hoping for, but I'm not going to lie for the sake of making someone else feel better. :spinning:

Maybe I'm extra slow today or something, so forgive me if I'm not grasping this correctly...

It seems like the study is skewed. I don't understand how the divorce rate between White women and Black women can even be appropriately compared without error. Southternbella, I know you've explained the study to me, but for some reason I don't see how when on average, White women get married more than Black women, period, that the two can even be compared. With that being known, wouldn't it be almost expected their divorce rate would be higher on average, given they get married more than we do rather it be at age 30 or 70?

They use the marriage stat not the whole population. So, of all BW who get marriage __ get divorced. Of all WW who get married ___ get divorced

does that answer you question?

It's all in that table. For example:

82% of ww ages 30-34 had been married vs. 50.5% of bw. Of that age group, 22% of ww had been divorced vs. 12.4% of bw.

ok. this seems about right. If almost 1/2 of the 93% is getting married after age 35, it makes sense that judgment will be better at that time.

also, I don't see how 2% improvemennt is that great. There are millions more of them (more people means more mistakes), marrying at a younger age (poorer judgement) so it makes sense that more of them should divorce. Still, we're only winning by 2% :look:

, wouldn't it be almost expected their divorce rate would be higher on average, given they get married more than we do rather it be at age 30 or 70?

That's how I'm looking at it. if you take 4 million whites who marry and 2 million blacks who marry, it only makes sense that the category with 4 million people would divorce more....the odds are stacked against them.

It would be interested in seeing the ages these things occurred, due to the age being so high. Interesting study

Their numbers will be higher, but rate is proportional.

Let's say 1,000 white women are married vs. 500 black women. If ww's rate is 25%, that means 1 out of 4 of their marriages will end in divorce. That would be true if 100 of them were married or 1 million of them were married.

If bw's divorce rate is 20%, then 1 out of 5 of our marriages will end in divorce, whether 10 or 1,000 of us are married.

It's the same way they calculate welfare. More white people are on welfare, which makes sense because they are 70+% of the population, but our welfare rate is higher because we are more likely to use it in proportion to our percentage of the population.

That's how I'm looking at it. if you take 4 million whites who marry and 2 million blacks who marry, it only makes sense that the category with 4 million people would divorce more....the odds are stacked against them.

Exactly, but from my understanding this is more comparing say...(exagerrated example)

Out of a group of 20 married White women and 20 married Black women..that out of the White married women, 6 will get divorced compared to 4 Black women who will get divorced out of that group.

no its not..because we are going by precentages...

No, that's not how it works.

I'm having a hard time explaining it, but raw numbers and proportions are two different things.

Exactly, but from my understanding this is more comparing say...(exagerrated example)

Out of a group of 20 married White women and 20 married Black women..that out of the White married women, 6 will get divorced compared to 4 Black women who will get divorced out of that group.

Right. Their rate proportional to their numbers is higher than our rate proportional to our numbers. Their rate is 25%, ours is 20%. Out of 100 ww, 25 of them will divorce. Out of 100 bw, 20 will divorce.

I'm having a hard time explaining it, but raw numbers and proportions are two different things.
exactly, we use precentage because no two groups are the same size.

In LHCF terms: It doesn't matter how long or short the person's hair is if you cut of 100% of their hair they are going to be upset:lachen:

I don't know how else to explain it but population size does not matter when comparing groups....its all about %

I understand that the raw #s are going to be higher for them than for us, so your example is correct, but given that there are millions more of them, marrying at a younger age (with a longer life span, might I add) I don't see how it's expected that more of them won't divorce. We aren't dealing with 20 people here, we're dealing with millions. An analogy that I think of, is car accidents vs. airplane accidents. Millions more people drive daily (multiple times, usually) so it only makes sense that there are more car accidents and more deaths from car accidents.

In all the census data comparing OOW kids, welfare, etc. we're losing disproportionately and by double digits. I just don't see how this 2% is that great of an edge, no matter how you want to look at it.

Is it customary for the sample sizes to be different? They surveyed almost 100,000 whites and around 14,000 Blacks.

Speaking from my personal experience, I can't say I'm too surprised by those stats. Yes, I know (statistically speaking) WW marry at a higher rate than BW, but most (not all) of the BW I know tend to stay married after they get married. I can't (again, speaking from my personal experience) say the same about the married WW I've encountered.

I understand both raw numbers and proportions, but I'm saying that it is to be expected that both their raw #s and proportions are higher than ours.

I understand that the raw #s are going to be higher for them than for us, so your example is correct, but given that there are millions more of them, marrying at a younger age (with a longer life span, might I add) I don't see how it's expected that more of them won't divorce. We aren't dealing with 20 people here, we're dealing with millions. An analogy that I think of, is car accidents vs. airplane accidents. Millions more people drive daily (multiple times, usually) so it only makes sense that there are more car accidents and more deaths from car accidents.

In all the census data comparing OOW kids, welfare, etc. we're losing disproportionately and by double digits. I just don't see how this 2% is that great of an edge, no matter how you want to look at it.

Okay I get what you are saying. As I said before they did not go from population>>divorce. The looked at people who got married and then divorced.
When looking at marriage rates they looked at the entire population.

Also you cannot look at car accidents and airplane because those involve risk...which is a different side of stats.

According to the Census Bureau (2001 study), white women divorce at a rate higher than any other group, at 25.4%.

Furthermore, according to a National Survey of Family Growth study, interracial marriages involving white females had higher rates of divorce than those involving white males and women of color.

I believe it has to do with rejection of traditional male values of dominance. White women seem to have benefited most from the feminist movement IMHO. Women of color who marry White men seem to have less traditional male attitude to deal with.

Ok. I've never ran a sample like that so I was wondering how it worked for the census. Thanks
GSS is a good example of how things run (don't know if this study was done the same way). They do a detailed census (on opinions, lifestyles, demographics, etc)

They will try to get a good sample size of people (from all across the country, urban, suburban, rural). If you get a good cross section of people then the race of people should naturally fall into place too. I don't know the details of the study but that could be one way they did it.

Okay I get what you are saying. As I said before they did not go from population>>divorce. The looked at people who got married and then divorced.
When looking at marriage rates they looked at the entire population.

Also you cannot look at car accidents and airplane because those involve risk...which is a different side of stats.

My comparision does have flaws, but I attempted to explain it in terms that everyone can identify with.

Also, I'm not solely basing my opinion that this small advantage is significant solely on population size. Another factor that I previously menteioned was age of 1st marriage (data shows that marrying before age 25 has a higher incidence of divorce). This study even showed that 82% of WW were married by age 35 compared to only 50% of BW (if you get married later, it only makes sense to me that your judgement is probably better and you're more settled with your life and don't want to drastically change things.

I hate to say this but this is the first comment that popped into my head...

"White women have the highest divorce rate, because they actually get married. Not enough Black women get married to get divorced in the first place..."

That was my first thought as well. Of course they have the highest divorce rate, they have the highest rate of marriage to begin with.

The 93% of Black women being married at least once by 70 was interesting though. Hang in there ladies, just try to live long enough! Chances are you'll get married eventually!:lachen:

My comparision does have flaws, but I attempted to explain it in terms that everyone can identify with.

Also, I'm not solely basing my opinion that this small advantage is significant solely on population size. Another factor that I previously menteioned was age of 1st marriage (data shows that marrying before age 25 has a higher incidence of divorce). This study even showed that 82% of WW were married by age 35 compared to only 50% of BW (if you get married later, it only makes sense to me that your judgement is probably better and you're more settled with your life and don't want to drastically change things.
okay, now I get what you are saying

Their remarriage rate is also 5 percent higher than ours so, maybe it makes it about even as far as married vs. single

Well, let's analyze this...does that mean black women have better judgement?

Back