White women have highest divorce rate...

My thing is.... if white folks weren't doing it, then there would be NO ONE doing it because there's not enough Black folks in the research business. Then we'd be crying about not being "good enough" to kick it in published studies along with everyone else. :rolleyes:

:blush: Are you saying that if you're gonna talk about it then be about it?

Seriously though, what you just said NEEDS to be repeated.

Sometimes I wonder what would reactions be like if certain studies were done by black researchers.

I think its just the dissection of the numbers in the stats that irks people as oppose to understand what the stats are really saying. Its not particularly crucial. What I got from the article is that at the end of the day, black women and white women share a lot more in common than people like to admit. Love's labors know no racial barriers. At the end of the day (in the words of Cher), we all sleep alone.:look: Well, lets trying to stop pinpoint how many do and figure out the reasons why. Whats really going on here that Americans cannot savor love? Does it really leave a bitter taste in our mouths?

Thats not how I saw it.

Asking questions and using previous information gathered about black america to use in conjuction to these stats doesn't always mean "We only believe the negative". You always need to use other information about a people to analyze what something means and how we get to a certain statistic.

People have have the same rates in something but for two entirely different reasons. It doesn't mean that you are trying to assume the worse if you try to analyze the data with information you already know about a culture. To not do that and to just take it for face value without trying to understand the hows and whys is not a well developed line of thought in trying to understand and interpret data, regardless of who is shown in a so called more "positive" light.

Since I don't like backing down from a challenge....

I don't have time to do complete and total LHCF thread research, but for starters:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=241003&highlight=

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=337479&highlight=

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=310619&highlight=

Each and every last one of these threads come off with the same sentiment of "look, Black folks ain't all bad." And you may have come in other threads with the same type of sentiments, which is where I got it from, along with the other folks who thanked my post when I brought it up.

Since you asked for "proof," that's where that perception came from - along with your own statement in this thread re: White folks posting negative stats on your White boards.

And since we have such "superficial" conversations over here, that's NOT what you were saying a few weeks ago:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=340393&highlight=

And with that, I'm very much done going back and forth with you. This isn't really about me or you, but seriously.... sometimes the same people who wanna bury their heads in the sand and NOT do anything about these issues are the very ones with all of the complaints. It's not fair and totally unproductive.

I don't know when this got personal because I didn't wanna take it there, but I hear hit dogs hollering all up and through these types of threads. What kind of vested interest do you have in systematically burying your head in the sand about these issues? And saying that it's ALL WRONG - with very little perspective on the situation, I might add. :look:

People wanna bring up anecdotes and personal experiences like it refutes whole large scale studies of thousands of people. The entire point is to be a bit more objective than anyone or their small social circle can ever be. If it don't apply to you, that's fine, but don't deny it's not a larger problem for the rest of the community, especially if you have no basis of making such a claim. Or criticize the hell out of a study and you don't know what basis you're making a criticism, except that you don't "like" the sound of it.

You really didn't provide proof to back up your assertion that I have started several threads with comparative stats concerning black folks.

I had already named the black youth thread and this thread. That's two. The awesome black man alert wasn't comparative, it was about a black man doing great things. Watergate was something that I came across when I was doing some reading on little known black history facts. I thought others might find it as interesting as I did.

Two threads don't qualify as several, IMO. Do I often start threads about black people doing positive things? Yes, I do. I didn't know that was a bad thing on a black message board. I wasn't trying to challenge you, but I don't want it out there that all I'm about is comparing us with white folks, because that's not the case. I'm about empowerment, and I believe that if people know that it's possible to rise above the negative statistics and do great things, they are more likely to do so.

As for my thread "Are you too deep...", I'm not sure how that refutes what I said. It is a message board thread with message board type discussions, which is why I can't discuss it IRL with my non-message board friends because they don't get how much we analyze stuff.

As for burying my head in the sand...I didn't realize that starting threads or making comments on the fact that black people do positive things and do make strides in this country is burying my head in the sand. What I DID think was that sometimes it's nice to come here and see a positive thread on the front page, rather than the gloom and doom that black people are confronted with every day of our lives.

I will not stop being a positive person, regardless of what you or anyone else thinks. For every positive thread I start, anyone else is free to start their own negative one, if that's what makes them happy. I'ma do me.:yep:

Finally, I have already stated, in this thread, that I know the world is bigger than MY world, and that I don't deny it's bad out there for black folks as a whole. I've been in other threads, talking about possible causes and solutions to these problems. I've never once said that all the statistics are wrong, so perhaps you got the wrong impression again. I simply believe in balance. Constant negativity is not healthy.

Thats not how I saw it.

Asking questions and using previous information gathered about black america to use in conjuction to these stats doesn't always mean "We only believe the negative". You always need to use other information about a people to analyze what something means and how we get to a certain statistic.

People have have the same rates in something but for two entirely different reasons. It doesn't mean that you are trying to assume the worse if you try to analyze the data with information you already know about a culture. To not do that and to just take it for face value without trying to understand the hows and whys is not a well developed line of thought in trying to understand and interpret data, regardless of who is shown in a so called more "positive" light.

I agree. It went a little further than that for some people, though.:yep:

I really hope that a survey isn't being used as hope for future marriage plans.

Having said that, I take ALL survey information with a teaspoon of salt.

I agree. It went a little further than that for some people, though.:yep:

I don't know, at least not in this thread. It seems to me that people got pissy as soon as they didn't agree that these stats about the rates of black women getting married or divorced meant that every black woman who is married is happy productive marriage.

Southernbella, I understand where you're coming from and wanted to just add another dimension to your argument. I think that there's a tendency to view Blacks from a deficit paradigm as opposed to an assets perspective, and it's a proclivity that we all have either internalized and remain unaware of it or battled against. I personally appreciate the threads you post with the statistics as well as the threads about our achievements. I never got the impression that they were done with the White man as our standard. Rather, I felt that the threads were essential to allowing ourselves to view us and our situation through a different pair of eyes.

I would be remiss if I didn't state one more thing, though, which is my tremendous respect for Sunshine and her attempts to contextualize a lot of the statistical data that's posted in these types of threads. People may not agree with her, but her insights are quite thoughtful and valuable. I will say that I didn't necessarily agree with her argument that you were creating comparative race threads. However, I see more similarities than differences between you two with respect to the way that you ladies approach research about Blacks in this country. This is where Gymfreak's argument comes in: yes, I agree that one needs to balance information received against other reports. But why was it that no one cited the rise of the Black middle class, with an associated acceptance of mainstream values (one of which is marriage) as a possible reason for lower divorce rates among Blacks? Why did no one mention the profound impact of the Black Church (which has both positives and negatives, truth be told) in influencing constructions of marriage in the Black community? Why did no one talk about the fact that as a people, we're used to a level of perseverance that has been historically absent amongst some of our other ethnic counterparts and its implications on the divorce rates among Blacks? By the way, what do divorce rates have to do with marriage rates - they're mutually exclusive! To me, what I saw was that in an effort to make sense of the observed phenomenon of White women having higher divorce rates, we cited rather disheartening information about Black women being less likely to leave because they perceive less Black men out there, or of Black women being more likely to stay in dysfunctional relationships. Here's the crux of my argument: everything I mentioned could play a role, but what was predominantly discussed? Why is it that acknowledging positive factors are considered burying one's head in the sand? Isn't it truly burying one's head when only one side is considered in isolation of the other?

Anyway, that's my food for thought. But again, to you Sunshine, and to all of the researchers-in-training that I know of, like Gymfreak and Mena and Atlchica and a host of other people I've been privileged to meet in this forum: it makes me proud to think of the fact that one day we'll be colleagues and that people like us can help shape the very nature of empirical research on Blacks. I know that this thread was about divorce rates among White women, but I'm taking away a lot more than that. :yep:

I don't know, at least not in this thread. It seems to me that people got pissy as soon as they didn't agree that these stats about the rates of black women getting married or divorced meant that every black woman who is married is happy productive marriage.

Well I don't know about that. I know of plenty of blacks and whites unhappy in a marriage. Me personally, I know of more whites unhappy than blacks, but that's my own personal reference.

I think one contributing factor to this statistic is that from what I've seen is that WW, happy or not, absolutely want a ring on that finger.

% wise, my own personal reference, if a teen/young adult black gets pregnant, there probably won't be a marriage; but if a teen/young adult white gets pregnant, there probably will be a marriage (again my own personal experience and reference).

But this ties back into the OOW/missing fathers stats. If a black teen gets pregnant but she and Tyrone decide not to marry, he takes care of his baby, mom is happy and hopefully continues on with school, dad is happy, hopefully continues with school and is proud and takes care of his child, Keisha and Tyrone made a huge mistake by getting pregnant as teens, but now realize they're probably not meant for each other and will just raise their baby without also being in an unhappy marriage.

But, Barbara and Jim get pregnant as teens, their parents have a fit, and say you must get married to "save face", Barbara and Jim argue all the time, are tired of each other, Jim starts cheating cause he's tired of Barbara and just cause a mess of an environment for their baby, work through it for five years but still end up divorced.

Which is better in the long run for the baby. I don't know for sure, but as a child as hard as divorce is or not living with both parents as, I still think it's better to have two happy parents not living together, than married parents, unhappy and arguing all the time.

Southernbella, I understand where you're coming from and wanted to just add another dimension to your argument. I think that there's a tendency to view Blacks from a deficit paradigm as opposed to an assets perspective, and it's a proclivity that we all have either internalized and remain unaware of it or battled against. I personally appreciate the threads you post with the statistics as well as the threads about our achievements. I never got the impression that they were done with the White man as our standard. Rather, I felt that the threads were essential to allowing ourselves to view us and our situation through a different pair of eyes.

I would be remiss if I didn't state one more thing, though, which is my tremendous respect for Sunshine and her attempts to contextualize a lot of the statistical data that's posted in these types of threads. People may not agree with her, but her insights are quite thoughtful and valuable. I will say that I didn't necessarily agree with her argument that you were creating comparative race threads. However, I see more similarities than differences between you two with respect to the way that you ladies approach research about Blacks in this country. This is where Gymfreak's argument comes in: yes, I agree that one needs to balance information received against other reports. But why was it that no one cited the rise of the Black middle class, with an associated acceptance of mainstream values (one of which is marriage) as a possible reason for lower divorce rates among Blacks? Why did no one mention the profound impact of the Black Church (which has both positives and negatives, truth be told) in influencing constructions of marriage in the Black community? Why did no one talk about the fact that as a people, we're used to a level of perseverance that has been historically absent amongst some of our other ethnic counterparts? To me, what I saw was that in an effort to make sense of the observed phenomenon of White women having higher divorce rates, we cited rather disheartening information about Black women being less likely to leave because they perceive less Black men out there, or of Black women being more likely to stay in dysfunctional relationships. Here's the crux of my argument: everything I mentioned could play a role, but what was predominantly discussed? Why is it that acknowledging positive factors are considered burying one's head in the sand? Isn't it truly burying one's head when only one side is considered in isolation of the other?

Anyway, that's my food for thought. But again, to you Sunshine, and to all of the researchers-in-training that I know of, like Gymfreak and Mena and Atlchica and a host of other people I've been privileged to meet in this forum: it makes me proud to think of the fact that one day we'll be colleagues and that people like us can help shape the very nature of empirical research on Blacks. I know that this thread was about divorce rates among White women, but I'm taking away a lot more than that. :yep:

Great post, naijamerican.:yep:

I also respect SB and Gym all the experienced ladies. I probably wouldn't compare my little threads to the real research they do, but I definitely appreciate the thought.:grin:

I think you raised some great points, especially this:

I think that there's a tendency to view Blacks from a deficit paradigm as opposed to an assets perspective, and it's a proclivity that we all have either internalized and remain unaware of it or battled against.

wasn't the 60s and 70s the age of divorce? what would make black people immune to the demise of the american family if everyone is doing it?

I am going by this statement from the survey:

By 2001 when the study was published, 93.2% of black women had been married by the time they were 70, compared to 97.1% of white women, 97.7% of Asian women, and 93.9% of Hispanic women.

http://www.census.gov/population/socdemo/marital-hist/p70-97/tab01.pdf

It does NOT say that 93.2% of black women were still married by the time they were 70. If a black woman (or any race woman for that matter) had divorced in the 70s, she would still be counted as "had been married" by the survey. Hope that answers your question.

ETA: by the way, the 60s were not really the age of divorce. No fault divorce started in the early 70s.

Last edited:
Well, I don't necessarily consider it negative, but apparently some people did, which is why they had to come in and say, "but we're worse!":ohwell:

All I did was present information for discussion. I wish I would have posted that white women smell like lemon juice and Pledge. I'm sure nobody would have questoned it.:look:

Well, I would have... cause my mil smells like Febreeze! :grin:

This also includes previous generations where Black folks were getting married and staying married. Doesn't negate a darn thing.

I already did. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=7394433&postcount=96

Even taking this study into account, all of these other studies that people like to discount/disbelieve can *still* be accurate.

This study was taken from a Census Bureau dataset, which, of course, includes ALL living Black Americans in the United States. To me, it's like well, alright, we already KNEW our parents and grandparents were marrying and staying married. That's no surprise. They numerically outnumber this *new* dysfunction that it going on re: marriage/OOW-children in the under-35 set, so of course, the numbers present a different story. It skews the data.

Re: Other studies that people are referencing, people need to read all the qualifiers about marriage/OOW-kids before they draw wide-sweeping conclusions. They tend to reference a specific age demographic. You can't compare apples with oranges.

DOH!!!! *slaps forehead* I so should have caught that - gahhhh. Yeah, if the survey was shifted to only include people born after 1965, I bet the numbers would be rather different.

Interesting. Do you feel the same way about AIDS or OOW stats?

Its not really about what I "feel" it is about what I know from the study of statistics and I am continuously learning. However, I do know that everything is not depicted via numbers that will be presented. That goes for AIDS, OOW, the number of veggies Blacks eat than whites, etc. etc. etc.

All types of fallacies can be and are found within the quantitative analysis of data, especially with stat's when dealing with populations, etc. There are so many factors to consider. Also (to me), it is clearly obvious in the data presented (just looking at it face value, not questioning anything) that WW having high divorce rate doesn't negate the contributing issues that could be associated with our numbers.

I have always challenged/questioned stat's. Just because it is published that we eat more chicken than the average caucasoid, doesn't mean I am going to believe it.

But I am still trying to figure out why we are comparing ourselves to white folk still, as if there is a justifiable need to. :ohwell: So, I will go back to figuring that out.....

But 93% get married! That's - alot. :yep:

Okay, I just now looked at that pdf. Its 93% of women over the age of 70 who've been married, not 93% of all women. That makes a huge difference! That is definitely a generational difference.

DOH!!!! *slaps forehead* I so should have caught that - gahhhh. Yeah, if the survey was shifted to only include people born after 1965, I bet the numbers would be rather different.

If you look at that pdf, it'll show you the stats for different age groups.

I would be remiss if I didn't state one more thing, though, which is my tremendous respect for Sunshine and her attempts to contextualize a lot of the statistical data that's posted in these types of threads. People may not agree with her, but her insights are quite thoughtful and valuable. I will say that I didn't necessarily agree with her argument that you were creating comparative race threads. However, I see more similarities than differences between you two with respect to the way that you ladies approach research about Blacks in this country. This is where Gymfreak's argument comes in: yes, I agree that one needs to balance information received against other reports. But why was it that no one cited the rise of the Black middle class, with an associated acceptance of mainstream values (one of which is marriage) as a possible reason for lower divorce rates among Blacks? Why did no one mention the profound impact of the Black Church (which has both positives and negatives, truth be told) in influencing constructions of marriage in the Black community? Why did no one talk about the fact that as a people, we're used to a level of perseverance that has been historically absent amongst some of our other ethnic counterparts and its implications on the divorce rates among Blacks? By the way, what do divorce rates have to do with marriage rates - they're mutually exclusive! To me, what I saw was that in an effort to make sense of the observed phenomenon of White women having higher divorce rates, we cited rather disheartening information about Black women being less likely to leave because they perceive less Black men out there, or of Black women being more likely to stay in dysfunctional relationships. Here's the crux of my argument: everything I mentioned could play a role, but what was predominantly discussed? Why is it that acknowledging positive factors are considered burying one's head in the sand? Isn't it truly burying one's head when only one side is considered in isolation of the other?

Basically. No one even bothered to discuss the reasoning behind the divorce rates.
Maybe black people are simply more reluctant to be divorced for other reasons than fear of eternal solitude.

I am going by this statement from the survey:

It does NOT say that 93.2% of black women were still married by the time they were 70. If a black woman (or any race woman for that matter) had divorced in the 70s, she would still be counted as "had been married" by the survey. Hope that answers your question.

ETA: by the way, the 60s were not really the age of divorce. No fault divorce started in the early 70s.

Yes, but I also mentioned the 70s. I'm not understanding why people find this so hard to believe.
There's been a whole shift in culture when it comes to marriage (talk of prenups, cohabitation, threesomes, etc.) so it only makes that divorce rates would have to go up.

I hate to say this but this is the first comment that popped into my head...

"White women have the highest divorce rate, because they actually get married. Not enough Black women get married to get divorced in the first place..."

Agreed 100%.

Doesn't surprise me about the WW... maybe because I meet so many divorced WM (who were likely married to WW), it doesn't surprise me.

Also NOT surprised about the WW in interracial marriages either... :look:

Agreed 100%

That stat on black women marrying is interesting - considering the stats on OOW kids, are black women only marrying once they are too old to have children? Or are we having our children very early, and bringing the husband to the family equation later?

And even more interesting the interracial results - some men marrying white women realize they are not the endall, beall of womanhood, eh?

Agreed upon.

My first thoughts were:

1) there's a greater % of them, therefore, it makes sense that their divorce rate would be higher

2) more of them get married

3) whites tend to marry at an early age (seemingly right after college) so the marriage is longer, so there's a higher chance for divorce

White people are actually the minority... There are more "other" than whites. I agree that most of them get married first.

But 93% get married! That's - alot. :yep:

Yes that's most of them:lachen:

Ok, I can see that. It seems like the last few White women I know who have gotten a divorce have had shallow reasons. Like to the point where I wondered about one's mental state. If there are more reasons that are seen as legitimate, or it is just a rite of passage, then more of them are going to go to that option. Especially in a community property state.

I am not going to go there... I just read this the other day about whites being the minority. If I see the statistical link again I'll post it. But if more of them are getting married anyway, minority or age group aside, then the numbers make sense.

So now the only reason we have a lower divorce rate than WW is because we desperately hold on to our horrible marriages? :perplexed

Damn!!!! We can't win for losing with our OWN black sister believing that crap!!!!!!! The brainwashing, negative stats worked!!!!! :nono:

Wow, ya'll are really not trying to believe these stats. When they are negative, you agree, but when slightly positive it gets the side eye.

isn't that something.

My comparision does have flaws, but I attempted to explain it in terms that everyone can identify with.

Also, I'm not solely basing my opinion that this small advantage is significant solely on population size. Another factor that I previously menteioned was age of 1st marriage (data shows that marrying before age 25 has a higher incidence of divorce). This study even showed that 82% of WW were married by age 35 compared to only 50% of BW (if you get married later, it only makes sense to me that your judgement is probably better and you're more settled with your life and don't want to drastically change things.

This is could be true. But it is a mere analysis of the data, it does not dispute it.

Someone might have said this already but maybe it's because some blacks dont believe in divorce??

Even when we aren't toughing it out, we will be seperated for decades but wont divorce. I know two couple like this.

I tend to agree. There are many possible reasons but they may have a kid before marriage, but when they finally get married they will tough it out/ be mature enough to battle for their vows.

Naw, people need to take these stats in context.

WW may have the highest divorce rate, but I bet them chicks also have the highest remarriage rate. :look: And ok, WW have high divorce rates, but when Black folks NOWADAYS ain't getting married, WTF does that mean? It's pretty common knowledge that the the marriage rate has declined and the OOW-child birthrate among Black folks has exploded over the past 30 years or so. This one study don't negate all of those other studies.
@ bolded: According to these stats, this is not true. IA with the rest of your statements but that doesn't negate these stats in the least.

I think this is kinda irrelevant. If all the arguments are WHY folks should get married have to do with raising functional Black families, then it's kinda beside the point if people get married after their childbearing years are over. :lachen:
True. But that's kind of a different topic.

I already did. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=7394433&postcount=96

Even taking this study into account, all of these other studies that people like to discount/disbelieve can *still* be accurate.

This study was taken from a Census Bureau dataset, which, of course, includes ALL living Black Americans in the United States. To me, it's like well, alright, we already KNEW our parents and grandparents were marrying and staying married. That's no surprise. They numerically outnumber this *new* dysfunction that it going on re: marriage/OOW-children in the under-35 set, so of course, the numbers present a different story. It skews the data.

Re: Other studies that people are referencing, people need to read all the qualifiers about marriage/OOW-kids before they draw wide-sweeping conclusions. They tend to reference a specific age demographic. You can't compare apples with oranges.

This study isn't comparing apples and oranges. Saying that this study somehow disproves other studies would be comparing apples to oranges though.

It's interesting to me that this study doesn't include OOW stats or other dysfunction but yet it has to come up. Because, of course, we must ignore the aspects where blacks fare better to bring up where blacks to worse. :rolleyes:

I think in the end it shows that you cannot get tripped up in statistics. I don't think anyone here is denying that the black community has a problem with marriage and OOW birth rates, but this also shows that the idea that black women walk around alone and single for all of their days is also false. Plus the way statistics are presented are very interesting. While I have seen tons of stats digging deep into the rates of black births and marriages, IR or white statistics are not as frequent. You can't just have one stat and discuss it by itself. These other figures of different relationship give some comparison.

Yes. One study doesn't overpower another. But is it a crime for us to discuss this study considering its own merits?

I don't know if these statistics apply to the newer generation when it comes to the amount of us getting married. I do believe in the divorce statistics though, white women can be more bratty, we're more hardy. The reason why people didn't want to believe the statistics is because our experience deviate sharply from them.

Last edited:
I hate to say this but this is the first comment that popped into my head...

"White women have the highest divorce rate, because they actually get married. Not enough Black women get married to get divorced in the first place..."

This is the first thought that came to mind.

Back