Which method is best for straightening natural hair?

Which method do you pefer?

• Flat iron

Votes: 106 62.0%
  • Press

Votes: 19 11.1%
  • Curling Iron

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Blow dry

Votes: 40 23.4%
  • Combo (explain please)

Votes: 61 35.7%

• Total voters

shtow

I am beginning my transition to natural and I wanted to start a poll on this subject. I know some naturals use flat irons, some use curling irons, and some use hot combs. My god sister has the most beautiful 3c hair and she gets her hair and roots relaxer straight with a curling iron with no damage.

Please answer the poll and explain. Thanks!

Last edited:
when i straightened my hair (once i knew what i was doing), i used both a flat iron and a hot comb.

first, i would detangle, moisturize and braid my damp, washed, hair (to stretch it) in several sections (like 10), and let it dry like that.

next, i would remove one dry braid and comb through it again.

then, i would flat iron that section while brushing/ combing it (i would put the brush/comb directly beneath the flat iron while pulling down with both. i would also pressssss the flat iron plates verrrry harrrd together.

finally, i'd go over it with the hot comb, and press the hair verrrry harrrd again against the flat part at the back of the comb with a rag. this got my hair super straight! i don't think i used very high heat. (with heat there's always damage, but it wasn't noticeable).

hth... :)

ps: i'm mostly 4a

Last edited:
I like rustic beauty's method because with presses I get the burnts hair smell and it's just lifeless and with the blowdryer/iron combo that's too much heat so I get damage and rollersetting doesn't do anything for me.

Straighten Hair Method

when i straightened my hair (once i knew what i was doing), i used both a flat iron and a hot comb.

first, i would detangle, moisturize and braid my damp, washed, hair (to stretch it) in several sections (like 10), and let it dry like that.

then, i would flat iron that section while brushing/ combing it (i would put the brush/comb directly beneath the flat iron while pulling down with both. i would also pressssss the flat iron plates verrrry harrrd together.

finally, i'd go over it with the hot comb, and press the hair verrrry harrrd again against the flat part at the back of the comb with a rag. this got my hair super straight! i don't think i used very high heat. (with heat there's always damage, but it wasn't noticeable).

Thanks a lot for your input. Excuse my inexperience, but I have never had a press so I am trying to envision pressing with a rag. Were you using the rag so you wouldn't burn yourself due to the pressure?

for me the best way to straighten my hair is deep condition and use a heat protectant. blow dry as straight as i can and then go over with a flat iron to smooth and style. I have not had damage with this method but do take into consideration that for the week and a half up to too weeks that is pretty much all the heat i apply to my hair. If it starts to revert i try wrapping it to smooth it back down and if that doesn't work I just wash and wait a week and try again. I have learned this summer that for me trying to wear my hair straight in the summer months is a no go...I'm a spring/winter straight!

I am glad you asked this question bc i was thinking about going natural! I am 6 mnths post relaxer..so im happy to see there is another transitioner yayy!

I am glad you asked this question bc i was thinking about going natural! I am 6 mnths post relaxer..so im happy to see there is another transitioner yayy!

6 months, wow! You have a great start. Please update with your progress:yep::grin:

Thanks a lot for your input. Excuse my inexperience, but I have never had a press so I am trying to envision pressing with a rag. Were you using the rag so you wouldn't burn yourself due to the pressure?

exactly. it helps you to press harder, and you hold it against the hair so you don't burn yourself.

I would have to say ceramic flat iron with a heat protectant. When I used to press my hair, it would be permanently straightened, aka heat damage. But now that I've switched to the ceramic flat irons, I'm able to achieve the same look with less heat and no heat damage. I have more fullness and body as well.

A blow dryer and flat iron (ceramic) gets my hair very straight.

I shampoo, DC, leave in, heat protectant, blow dry, and flat iron.

I will say I look better with natural hair straightened versus a relaxer because I retain volume and bounce. My natural texture is tight and coily.

I think it might sometimes depend on the hair type. When I was natural I used a plug in pressing comb because the heat would stay constant. You have to have skills to work with the ones on the stove. But my BFF uses a flat iron and it works just fine.

I don't feel alone, I just made up my mind today, no more relaxers. I'm going to try to keep up with you, maybe we can start some kind of support thread unless it is already one.

I don't feel alone, I just made up my mind today, no more relaxers. I'm going to try to keep up with you, maybe we can start some kind of support thread unless it is already one.

I agree. It would be great to keep in contact cuz this is gona be a hard one for me! I'll start a thread as well.

I don't straighten my hair a lot but when I do I like to blowdry then flat iron with a ceramic / tourmaline iron. Pressing seems to be more damaging for my hair.

When I straighten I use a flat-iron. I think it's 1" or maybe smaller. Not sure about sizes! What I do on Saturday mornings (not now I wear hair curly now) is wash and condition my hair with NTM Products. Then part my hair in center and braid hair on each side. I then go about my day. After it has dried I flat-iron with very small sections. I make two passes at the most. Takes about 45 minutes. I don't use any products at all. I tend to have oily hair. So if I add anything like protectants or serum my hair will not move. I wear my hair like this for two weeks. Then I start all over. I never had any damage from doing this....maybe because I was only flat-ironing twice a month and that was the only form of heat?? Not sure, but it worked for me!!

Oh, and I NEVER did a BC! I can't remember how long my hair was at the time. But, during that time in my life it was always between BSL and MBL.

I am now fully natural and transitioned from a relaxer (my head is TOO big for me to even consider the BC, lol). But, I wear my hair straight all the time just because I have a hair style that requires it (assymmetrical short on one side long on the other cut...what was I thinking). To get my hair straight I wash, condition, then use NTM mixed with LacioLacio on my hair, smooth it down then seal with some type of shine serum (I forgot which one I use, lol). Then, I tie my hair down overnight and let it air dry. The next morning I put on some heat protectant and flat iron it with my CHI (don't know what I would do without my CHI) and I'm good to go. I sometimes put large rollers in the very top while I'm getting dressed or putting on makeup for some extra volume but as someone else said i LOVE wearing my hair straight now that it's natural because the volume is out of this world!!!!!

Oh, wanna add that although I wear my hair straight I only wash my hair every two weeks (I used to do more but because the straightening process is tedious I don't have that time anymore) I'm only putting heat on it twice a month. When I finally get some length I don't want my curl (which I LOVE) to be a mess.

I voted combo.

For me I get my best results with a roller set and light blow out and flat iron or a roller set and light flat iron or i just use my hot combs on the roots.

I dont like to do a flat iron on air dried hair because I dont like how my ends feel afterwards

Both the flat iron and curling iron works wonders. The flat iron works well if it's not too hot and you go over it 2-3 times slowly. Of course, the product you put in your hair matters as well.

I use to use a pot holder when I use to press my hair with a hot comb. Now, I air dry over night, blow dry on low, then flat iron with low heat.

Last edited:
I just use some grease and a flat iron from sallys. I believe its the jibere de paris ceramic flatiron. I usually wash, deep condition with cholesterol, braid hair in 4 braids to dry over night. It takes me about 45 minutes to flat iron. Most people think that I have a perm because of me flat ironing it so well. I been natural for almost 7 years. Th pic in my fotki is like 5 years old

Back