Which method is best for straightening natural hair?

Which method do you pefer?

• Flat iron

Votes: 106 62.0%
  • Press

Votes: 19 11.1%
  • Curling Iron

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Blow dry

Votes: 40 23.4%
  • Combo (explain please)

Votes: 61 35.7%

• Total voters
^^^^Princess, imma need you to get some more pics in your fotki^^^^^^^

j/k LOL

i will be six years nappy in two days....i want to see what seven years nappy looks like??? thanks :kiss:

I just straightened my hair for the second time since I've been natural. (Combed out 2 and 1/2 years of locs on July 4th, 2009 and straightened with an old as dirt Gold n Hot MESS iron a week later!)

I used a Remington Wet 2 Straight iron and I also used a shine serum, heat protectant, and flat iron spray (bought it at walgreens brand name is Special Effects FX). I actually air dried first but then I read the serum directions and it said it should be used on damp hair so I sprayed a little water to each section, added the serum and heat protectant then blow dried on low with the comb attachment.

I have to say I LOVE the way my hair feels. I still have yet to master the "fly away" ends, though. But I still count this a victory cuz there is NO burnt hair smell what so ever! And my ends aren't AS raggedy as they were with the Gold n Hot Mess iron I used...sorry I'm still a bit bitter about that flat iron experience. :ohwell:

It wasnt listed but I would say roller set and saran wrap...

I tried that one night and I ended up with a bushy mess! I guess my hair isn't used to being straight though. :sad: I figured I'd try that while my hair was already straightened with a flat iron.

Definitely rollersetting/saran wrap or rollerset/flat-iron combo. My results always come out great with these two (the pic in my siggy a rollerset/saran wrap)

^^^^Princess, imma need you to get some more pics in your fotki^^^^^^^

j/k LOL

i will be six years nappy in two days....i want to see what seven years nappy looks like??? thanks :kiss:

I been trying to add some photos to my album but I don't have a digital camera anymore :look:. Over the past 7 years my hair has been cut to shoulder length and colored. I just finished my bachelors so I was neglecting my hair for like 4 years :perplexed. My hair is still a little over bra strap though :grin:

What do you ladies use when you are blowing your hair out dry? I was planning to use a Denman with a concentrator on my tourmaline on my daughter's hair. My girl who does hair told me to make sure to pull the heat all the way through to the ends.

I have my hair rollerset, then have the roots blown out. I HAVE to use Sabino Moisture Block or else my hair would revert as soon as I walk outside! That stuff is a God send for me!!!

I have yet to get my hair really straight (because it takes too long and I normally just warm "comb" it to check the length) but I voted for combo. I think you will need (depending on your texture) both a blow-dry and flat iron, press, etc...

Well, I voted combo because that is what I do. I blow-dry with a comb attachment and then flat iron. A friend of mine did it for me last week and she used Nexxus Heat Protectant. My hair came out very straight.

I think whatever method you used (maybe not a hot comb, do not know because I have never used one) will also depend on the quality of products and equipment you use. All flat irons, blow dryers, etc. are not created equal. As well as, there are styling products that can aid or hender your results. I wish had some great advice about both, but I do not. I know that last week I used a gold-n-hot blow dryer and a sedu flat iron and the heat protectant on my dry hair.

Good Luck with your Transition!

there are pics on my page of my hair straightened.

Another idea is to use curlformers and dry your hair using a hooded dryer. The advantage with this is that you minimise heat damage. Once you take the curlformers out then wrap your hair. This method has worked for some. I know this wasn't listed as an option but it may be worth looking into this as an alternative.

I got a Gold Bird blow dryer... Ya'll were right about how good this thing is. I also use a curling iron on low to curl my hair the rest of the way. Since I prefer the strait look, I am researching how to best care for my hair in the future.

I like rollersetting and flat ironing but I really want to switch to blow drying for convenience purposes. It just never seems to work out my hair ends up dryer then a desert and does not come out well even when flat ironing on the highest temperature. I get really stiff hair with no movement. With rollersetting my hair feels smoother and has more movement. My ends feel a lot better.

What I've been thinking about trying is banding my hair overnight, letting it dry as much as possible, then blow drying out the remaining wetness before flat ironing. It seems like this would leave my hair in a way less parched state.

I ought to watch this thread, as it seems I'm not too good at straightening my natural hair, since it always seems to be bushy even after a couple of hours of blowdrying and flat ironing :(

I ought to watch this thread, as it seems I'm not too good at straightening my natural hair, since it always seems to be bushy even after a couple of hours of blowdrying and flat ironing :(

What kind of products are you using? I used to have problems with frizz and poof before switching products. Some people say technique is what makes all the difference, but for me, it has been the right products (detangling poo, Aubrey Organics White Camellia, etc) and professional appliances.

I do it one of 2 ways.

When I want it really silky straight I wash, dc, blowdry, and flat iron. Now when I do this I use BKT and it comes out amazing.

When I want it to have more body and curls, or want to use less heat I wash, dc, rollerset, and flatrion the roots only.

I blowdry or air dry then use my Instyler. I get the smoothness of a flatiron with the body of a rollerset. I love, love, love it.

Is anyone here wel lversed in the ancient art of the dominican blow out? Lol. Specifically the round brush step? Iam deathly afraid of pulling my hair out with that thing.

I have to blow dry and flat iron if I want my hair straight. If I'm just trying to stretch it, I can blow dry only, or rollerset.

Last edited:
Back