What would you wear.......

DarkAngell

if you were having a court house wedding?

It will be at the end of may. I'm not looking for something big and traditional. We are only having immediate fam there and probably going to a nice restaurant afterward. I will be having a destination wedding (vow renewal) towards the end of next year with more bells and whistles.

So i'm looking for some sort of dress under $200. The groom is wearing dress pants, shirt and tie.

Should i look for a white dress? Should we have alittle fun and do spring colors? Chiffon long dress? Or maybe a sundress?

I know it's pretty much up to me but I need some ideas!

Also.... I don't really do dress suits so it would be some sort of dress.

Okay so I know you're not looking for traditional (but la la la la! I'm ignoring that and offering a variety of options that you might never consider but realize you love. I won't show a HUGE wedding dress though:grin:. However I never understand why just because you go to city hall you can't look like a bride. There's no rule against it lol and it's quite unique as no one would expect that. With that said I'll give a variety of bridal and non options)

Keeping in the $200 another site I forgot to mention (to a bride in another thread looking to save money) is Scarlett's closet which does not offered used dresses. They only offer samples (you know the dresses on the mannequin or maybe the ones they tried on in the store? of course they are cleaned and shipped just as the others but no one wore them to the wedding.) Because they are samples you can get them at up to 90 percent off which is an outstanding value.

This is a company based in the U.S:
www.scarletscloset.com

This one is $150 and I think would look pretty but isn't too big. You can alway get a seamstress to get rid of the train if you want.
bmd-3727-a_1733_general.gif

If you're willing to go a little above your budget they have an Alfred Angelo for $349 (original price if it wasn't a sample is $2000 no joke!) And it doesn't have a train so you could easily walk through a court house but still feel like a bride
alfredangelo-piccione-438_611_general.jpg

This is watters and watters at $249 instead of $900 with no train in sight
ww8002b_2227_general.jpg

Okay so I'm going to do it. This one is just too pretty but definitely bridal. BUT if you ignore the huge veil, I think it could be very appropriate with or without a seamstress altering the train
moonlight-j5866-1_2233_detail.jpg

Okay so now that I've gotten regular bridal out of the way let's get innovative with shorter bridal and then spring dresses

This one is from mybridaldress.com

10730659-sweetheart-short-wedding-dress-tea-length.jpg

It's $179 they're not an american co it's chinese but I'm sure you could get a local dressmaker to make something similar for around this price and I think it's adorable.

You mentioned summery dresses (but I'm showing some with a bridal twist) at nordstrom.com check out these:

Jsboutique $198
2010_09_affordable_wedding_dresses03.jpg

back: http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy301/toppledcake/2010_09_affordable_wedding_dresses03.jpg

Js $190

2010_09_affordable_wedding_dresses02.jpg

gojane.com
$177
2010_09_affordable_wedding_dresses04.jpg

I think this Scala design by La monir is really gorgeous and no train at $178

la-monir-under-200.jpg

I'm sure I'll be back with more including nontraditional and sundress types but that's all for now.

Thanks for the options! I will definitely be looking into these as well as the links. The reason I really didn't want to go big is because we still are having are vow renewal and i guess will do it up big then. We''re having a simple courthouse wedding now because not only do we just want go get married already but he will be joining the navy as well so we had to speed up the process. But also since it's sort of quick, budget is an issue right now.

well i can't get any pics right now but i would like small sleeves ( for fitted, lace, sheer, or more flowy) , either that or something that i can put a nice little bolero over (lace? ) something tea length or longer. I love the look of chiffon. Don't want to wear black or yellow, but all other coolors are fine. I have a big bust, problem mid section (i have a belly). I'm only 5'1 and would probably only wear 2-3 inch heels max if that helps since some things just look better on taller people lol

Things that catch my eye for this occasion are longer chiffon dresses but i'm also trying to find some nice sundresses for a different option.

I'm sorry.. this is cheesy but.. what Carrie wears in the SATC movie when they go to the courthouse to get married is exactly what I would wear.
Classic.. somewhat professional, not too overdone. Perfection.
Sex-City-City-hall-Carrie-suit_l.jpg

Here's another 2 piece suit..
48825.jpg

I like the idea of a two piece suit for a courthouse wedding.

loveeeeeee this! I googled "Victoria Beckham white" and I knew something stunning would come up. Love her clothes. This is more of a casual traditional dress that can be worn.

You know Victoria has a clothing line asos has Victoria Beckham style pencil dresses
She has impeccable taste

A white shift dress (a la Audrey Hepburn) and single strand of pearls (a la Audrey Hepburn) and silver strappy shoes. Keep it simple.

I wouldn't want to wear a wedding dress or something that looks like a wedding dress to the court house.

If you are religious, get married in the pastor's study.

I would wear a gorgeous sundress in spring color(s), he can coordinate with his tie. Then do it up with a pretty chiffon dress for your vow renewal.

A white shift dress (a la Audrey Hepburn) and single strand of pearls (a la Audrey Hepburn) and silver strappy shoes. Keep it simple.

I wouldn't want to wear a wedding dress or something that looks like a wedding dress to the court house.

If you are religious, get married in the pastor's study.

Or a chapel it's religious small intimate and you could still wear an actual wedding dress.

thank you ladies!!

Lucia: have you ever ordered from that vintage website before?? Beautiful dresses!

Yes I have and I love the dress I got a full skirt swingdress w the crinolin pouffy slip and it's gorgeous. Just a tip check the measurements on sizes don just assume that s m l is the same there as everywhere else they give specific measurements follow those when ordering.

Lucia, you just blew my mind with that hat. GORGEOUS!!! :yep:

(heads over to the Louise Green site, eta: this site has me :spinning::spinning::spinning:)

Lucia, you just blew my mind with that hat. GORGEOUS!!! :yep:

(heads over to the Louise Green site, eta: this site has me :spinning::spinning::spinning:)

That's a no-frills hat Louise can make some hats it's like a European hat boutique online I love her hats. All of her hats are stunners

Last edited:
These are nice dresses ladies. I am as well looking at a court house wedding. I have been thinking about my dress for a while now.

Congratulations OP.

These are nice dresses ladies. I am as well looking at a court house wedding. I have been thinking about my dress for a while now.

Congratulations OP.

Thank you! congrats to you as well. Please come back to the thread or PM me and let me know what you decided to wear?!

Back