WHAT? White Girl Flow????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, I wanted to slap some sense into that girl's head. Tyra shoulda solicited LHCF members if she wanted to have a descent convo about hair...

When focusing on hair issues the producers of Tyra's show will review this and similar sites (probably) so they know whether particular issues will be controversial. After all controversial topics often mean more ratings and more ratings mean higher revenue to the TV channels. Those people know what they're doing...

See, they would never say that, because they don't air their mess like we do. Even if they're thinking it. :look:

Thanks, Tyra. :lachen:

That's basically what the Tyra issue boils down to. She finds, and she doesn't have to look far, guests that will put a voice to our community's most dirty little secrets. They shake us out of our denial. These voices are uncensored like the ego. They are not filtered for the masses. Unfortunately she never presents a strong enough rebuttal to these statements. A rebuttal that could educate the masses and diffuse the sting of those ego voices.

When focusing on hair issues the producers of Tyra's show will review this and similar sites (probably) so they know whether particular issues will be controversial. After all controversial topics often mean more ratings and more ratings mean higher revenue to the TV channels. Those people know what they're doing...

Completely and utterly true...yet still completely and utterly annoying.

Oh yes, I wanted to slap some sense into that girl's head. Tyra shoulda solicited LHCF members if she wanted to have a descent convo about hair...

The One lady she had representing natural hair was from Nappturality, but many of her comments were edited/ cut for the final showing. I would have liked to see her have several natural ladies representing different styles- loose and locked.

That's basically what the Tyra issue boils down to. She finds, and she doesn't have to look far, guests that will put a voice to our community's most dirty little secrets. They shake us out of our denial. These voices are uncensored like the ego. They are not filtered for the masses. Unfortunately she never presents a strong enough rebuttal to these statements. A rebuttal that could educate the masses and diffuse the sting of those ego voices.

Exactly she just wants to expose us and then cut to commercial. Where is the education? I mean if there is no point other than to make fools out of people, what good does it do. Except line their pocket books.

The One lady she had representing natural hair was from Nappturality, but many of her comments were edited/ cut for the final showing. I would have liked to see her have several natural ladies representing different styles- loose and locked.

How ridiculous.

SMH:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:
Again - another reason not to watch her.

Is that dude still stalking Tyra?????

Maybe she will have a real topic or two on her show.

agreed. I would be more apt to think Tyra is not 'making a statement" like

"see - I am ok with my hair"
NOT!!!! she is NOT!!!! And - people have followed this trend. I am not down on it - I am saying that she - beyonce and others have contributed to this sense that we MUST look a certain way. We MUST wear hair in a certain form.... yada yada......

She wears wigs DAILY on that show.

Ridiculous....

We are >>>>HERE<<<<<

I was watching the show like, "Tyra, are you for real?"
GTFOOHWTBS

Homegirl committed a cardinal sin. :lol:

Imagine a show about plastic surgery. The host asks why these women put themselves through such pain and expense, and the ww says, "We white women just want that black lady youth! You know how you see a bw and she's 50, but she looks 25? That's what we want!"

See, they would never say that, because they don't air their mess like we do. Even if they're thinking it. :look:

Thanks, Tyra. :lachen:

This post was on point.

Yeah seriousy. Ditto on your whole post.

She simply said what a lot of us really mean. Hey, own it.

I should also edit my post to clarify that I mean relaxed/straightened BW when I said we generally used heavier/oilier products. This has been a fact for generations. We all remember going to school and the white girls had the floppy pony tails where as we and/or our friends were the little melinated girls with the shiny (relaxed or pressed) ponytails that jutted straight out. You know the hair that was soft, but what direction you put it in is where it would stay. Folks know ful and well what these terms imply*looks out window to confirm I'm not misremembering*

blackgirl.jpg

homegirl got the whole world thinkin we hate everthing about being blk--*** tyra--ugh

and WGF does not mean swanging hair to me---maybe to tyra and the idiot guest she had but wgf means nothing to me--wtf is that--is it a coined term

chinese ppl hair flow--mexcian ppl hair flow--

having hair that swangs or has movement has nothing to do with white women--who the *** coined that--lmaooo

Whenever I was in elementary school I had a curl, and my hair was about APL. As far as I remember, my hair always had movement. My mom would put my hair in a floppy ponytail.

:grin: Tee Hee. I'm sorry, I had to look it up because I forgot the definition myself.

Hyperbole (pronounced /haɪˈpɝːbəli/ hye-PER-buh-lee; "HYE-per-bowl" is a common mispronunciation) comes from ancient Greek "ὑπερβολή" (meaning excess or exaggeration) and is a figure of speech in which statements are exaggerated. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is rarely meant to be taken literally.

Hyperbole is used to create emphasis. It is a literary device often used in poetry, and is frequently encountered in casual speech. It is also a visual technique in which a deliberate exaggeration of a particular part of an image is employed. An example is the exaggeration of a person's facial feature in a political cartoon.

I think the modeling industry did a number Tyra's self esteem. I really hate the topics that she uses on her show concerning black women but I also feel sorry for her. It must be torment to live with such self hatred.

I think the modeling industry did a number Tyra's self esteem. I really hate the topics that she uses on her show concerning black women but I also feel sorry for her. It must be torment to live with such self hatred.

ita!!!!

also i never have 'swang'..don't care about it either.

I dont mind the girl saying a White girl flow. When my white friend told me she wanted a Black girl booty, it was not a big deal for me, I knew what she meant even if I dont have one myself:lachen: It doesnt have to be a US and THEM scenario, life is too short :yep:

Tyra is such an idiot. The panel were idiots too. I sure wish there were some members on this board on their educating them on the real, true beauty of black hair whether it's relaxed/natural.

I don't like the white girl flow or swang whatever you call it. My hair used to do that but it just didn't feel right...My sister has that swang and even when shes not trying to swing her hair is just has a mind of it's own and movesssss.

The swang you are all talking about is a nightmare for me. I always have to pin my hair up whenever I eat, otherwise, I have soup, sauce, puree all over my head. You see the picture:perplexed For those who dont have it, let me tell you it aint worth it:yep:

That comment didnt even bother me either. As much as we've heard this term around this board and do whatever it takes to have that "swang".

Telling each other on here not to put too much oil and product in your hair so that it doesnt look weighed down and will SWANG.

We suddenly acting like that was not our objective after joining this board.:rolleyes:

Yeah. That and when somebody does a weave check on your head they're hating and you should do the white girl hair flip in their face. :rolleyes: Don't act like y'all never saw that posted here. I've never heard the exact phrase "white girl flow" but I've heard white girl hair flip, toss, etc. It just came out her mouth wrong that's why people were confused.

To the point Sleek made about the ponytails sticking out - I totally agree. Even Oprah has alluded to that. And on many boards (Especially NP) I have seen people talk about when they were a child how they ran around the house with a white towel on their head swinging it pretending they had hair like white girls. Y'all act like you've been enlightened and following this boards practices your whole lives. Most of us didn't do any better and sought out this board to learn how to do better and correct our damaged hair (damaged could mean we never had any hair our whole life or we had hair that took a hit and we were trying to restore it). Some people on this board weren't and still aren't any different than some of those chicks on that show.

ETA: And if y'all really want to get technical, swang or flow is not characteristic of type 4 or maybe even some type 3's naturally. You have to manipulate the hair to do it. So why get up in arms and say why it gotta be white girl swang or like a white girl. Why can't it be black girl swang? Have you ever seen an afro swing? NAPS DON'T SWING. That is something that is characteristic of other "types" of hair that we cannot not acheive naturally.

We have to do something to get our hair to do it whether it's braid, blow dry, relax, roller set, etc. I don't take issue with the like a "white girl" part of the comment. I do agree that that chick was ignorant though. She said she had good quality hair but she is relaxed? I guess your hair ain't that good then huh? Even Tyra pulled that card. And it was the way she said it too like yeah bi$h I got that good hurr. Betta than all y'alls. Now watch it swing. WTF?!?

Last edited:
The swang you are all talking about is a nightmare for me. I always have to pin my hair up whenever I eat, otherwise, I have soup, sauce, puree all over my head. You see the picture:perplexed For those who dont have it, let me tell you it aint worth it:yep:

Windy days are the worst for me when I wear my hair down.

Tyra is such an idiot. The panel were idiots too. I sure wish there were some members on this board on their educating them on the real, true beauty of black hair whether it's relaxed/natural.

We wouldn't make it past the telepone interview. You would have to be as ignorant as all get out to get on that show. :nono:

Yeah. That and when somebody does a weave check on your head they're hating and you should do the white girl hair flip in their face. :rolleyes: Don't act like y'all never saw that posted here. I've never heard the exact phrase "white girl glow" but I've heard why girl hair flip, toss, etc. It just came out her mouth wrong that's why people were confused.

To the point Sleek made about the ponytails sticking out - I totally agree. Even Oprah has alluded to that. And on many boards (Especially NP) I have seen people talk about when they were a child how they ran around the house with a white towel on their head swinging it pretending they had hair like white girls. Y'all act like you've been enlightened and following this boards practices your whole lives. Most of us didn't do any better and sought out this board to learn how to do better and correct our damaged hair (damaged could mean we never had any hair our whole life or we had hair that took a hit and we were trying to restore it). Some people on this board weren't and still aren't any different than some of those chicks on that show.

ETA: And if y'all really want to get technical, swang or flow is not characteristic of type 4 or maybe even some type 3's naturally. You have to manipulate the hair to do it. So why get up in arms and say why it gotta be white girl swang or like a white girl. Have you ever seen an afro swing? NAPS DON'T SWING. That is something that is characteristic of other "types" of hair that we cannot not acheive naturally.

where's the can of rooms emoticon...

Ok, when people say, "Swang" do they mean straight hair only? Because you can have swang with the hair in it's natural state.

YA'LL A MESS WITH THOSE TAGS! :lachen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back