WHAT? White Girl Flow????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I am one of the very few that could care less about the "white girl swang" comment. I just don't get bent out of shape about certain somewhat race comments. And truth be told, not all white girls have that swang. Their hair can be greasy and packed down with gel and mousse that the wind from a tornado couldn't move it. I wish people wouldn't be so sensitive about certain things that is said about hair whether it be relaxed, natural, white, black, mixed whatever. You should know who you are and what you stand for so deragatory comments should roll off your back.

Also, it's relatively a new trend for White women (or any other race) to wear their hair down and loose. As recently as the '80s hair was supposed to be hairsprayed and shelacked down in place. Everyone's hair, Black or White. Thinking back before that, the trends have ranged from coifed bobs to long straight greasy "hippy" hair. It is perfectly fine for a black woman to want hair w/ or w/o movement, White women certainly do go back and forth with their preferences. We can have preferences too (as long as in the process natural hair is NOT denigrated).

Also, it's relatively a new trend for White women (or any other race) to wear their hair down and loose. As recently as the '80s hair was supposed to be hairsprayed and shelacked down in place. Everyone's hair, Black or White. Thinking back before that, the trends have ranged from coifed bobs to long straight greasy "hippy" hair. It is perfectly fine for a black woman to want hair w/ or w/o movement, White women certainly do go back and forth with their preferences. We can have preferences too (as long as in the process natural hair is NOT denigrated).

Totally True. They had helment hair too - just like we did in the 80's and 90's...
Black or white - we have all seen the damage..................

ugh, its not about having a "GOOD grade of hair" its all about not putting on any products on your hair after you wash out the conditioner & using the "chasing the comb" technique after drying. ANYONE can get that type of "swang". :rolleyes:

I think Farrah Fawcette was the symbol of hair that moved- for white and "erybody" else. She had feathered hair and was famous for her trademark head shake/ flip.

I bet if we took a poll right NOW, a GREAT percentage of the women on this board would prefer to have healthy hair that "swangs" when it's straightened. No guess work here.

Actually I live in the land of pretty hair black women and I have never heard of white girl flow before either and I used to rock weaves faithfully...
I also never heard of swang before until I joined this board...

I did hear hair like a white girl but thats the extend of it...

I think some of your guys are being a bit harsh of Tyra and her guest...remember before you joined this board you used to think and believe and say some of the same things.

Overall, I think Tyra did an ok job but no ones perfect. She touched on a touchy issues and made black & white people a little more aware than they were an hour prior too. Or maybe I dont have an issue with Tyra like most seem to have on here.

Can someone give me a recap of what's being said in that video re: swang and good hair? I'm not able to view it right now.

Girl had a shoulder length bob. When asked what was the definition of good hair, she shook her hair (Rio style) and said "Hair that does this" We call it WGF." Not everybody's hair can move like this (Kung Foo Drunken Man Flow shake). If it can it's good.

Last edited:
Actually I live in the land of pretty hair black women and I have never heard of white girl flow before either and I used to rock weaves faithfully...
I also never heard of swang before until I joined this board...

I did hear hair like a white girl but thats the extend of it...

I think some of your guys are being a bit harsh of Tyra and her guest...remember before you joined this board you used to think and believe and say some of the same things.

Overall, I think Tyra did an ok job but no ones perfect. She touched on a touchy issues and made black & white people a little more aware than they were an hour prior too. Or maybe I dont have an issue with Tyra like most seem to have on here.

To me, shes just exposing the truth about how women feel. I cant expect her to have women on her stage talking optimistic all the time. We all have different opinions...that GIRL's opinion was just ignorant (the way she put it).

Girl had a shoulder length Bob. When asked what was the definition of good hair, she shook her hair (Rio style) and said "Hair that does this" We call it WGF." Not everybody's hair can move like this (Kung Foo Drunken Man Flow shake). If it can it's good.

Yeah, most people wouldn't even agree with that definition. When Black folks I know are talking about "good" hair they are talking about texture of 3b or looser, natural hair. It's something your born with, it can't be changed with a styling product or chemical (like no one is going to say you have "good hair" if you have a 3b jheri curl). If you permed your 3b hair, I don't think anyone would say you had good hair, but that you used to have good hair before you got a perm :lachen:And everyone's hair can move if it is styled a certain way. I could get a "floppy" look (when I used to be natural many moons ago) with movement in my 4a/b hair if I stretched my hair out and blow dried it, nappy hair CAN move if the owner desires that. Oh well, whatever. I don't find Tyra's show as useless as everyone else, but I do really really want to see Tyra's real hair. It is probably type 4 and she is deathly afraid of it. I want some one to show her there's nothing to be scared of.

That comment didnt even bother me either. As much as we've heard this term around this board and do whatever it takes to have that "swang".

Telling each other on here not to put too much oil and product in your hair so that it doesnt look weighed down and will SWANG.

We suddenly acting like that was not our objective after joining this board.:rolleyes:

RIGHT.

The problem with the statement for me was the way in which it was said. I think that walling it 'white girl' flow loads the term. It makes it sound like we are not happy with who we are.

I want 'swang' because I want healthy hair that is not loaded with chemicals.

I don't want 'white girl flow' because I'm happy with the texture of my hair and to not feel the need to immitate another race.

I want my hair to look and feel like it has movement. I'm sure a lot of us aspire to the same thing.

Gee it didn't take long for it to get lively in here! :lol:

ETA: I think re the girl on the tape, some people may be peeved not necessarily by the statement, but by the way she said it; in an arrogant manner.

Exactly.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Ok, I feel like Tyra and her people pick the most outrageous and ignorant topics and opionions to discuss on her show. I mean I get that ratings are important but come on. Let's get some normal everyday girls to talk about topics. They want people with these extreme ideas and I just feel embarassed. Who doesn't want hair that moves? But that just equals styling not good hair. I'm sorry but that girl just seems stupid. And why did Tyra have to do cornrows for this show. She really does irk me.

Girl had a shoulder length Bob. When asked what was the definition of good hair, she shook her hair (Rio style) and said "Hair that does this" We call it WGF." Not everybody's hair can move like this (Kung Foo Drunken Man Flow shake). If it can it's good.

Thanks Carrie.

Within the black community "good hair" usually means non-kinky and I get the racial implications behind the glorification of "swang", but I don't see how we can act brand new about swang not exactly being what we're known for. We can't claim everything.

It's not PC, but we all know that part of the reason Dominican salons are/were such a craze is because they provided results that were unfamiliar to many BW. A shine and movement not typically associated with relaxed black hair. A focus on minimal product usage for the purpose of looking "naturally" straight haired (Dominicans are obsessed with that). We also know that traditionally BW used heavier/oilier product. I'm not understanding the newness on this.
Hair grease and pressing comb aren't exactly the lead in to fluffy hair.

Last edited:
whenever I see threads like this one or relaxed vs natural debates I always wonder if white women are on hair boards debating whether they should perm their hair to get curls or not, whether they attack each other for seeking more volume and thickness to their fine straight strands, question the ethics of hair extensions. I believe that all women are interested in healthy hair that allows them whatever styling options their hearts desire.

whenever I see threads like this one or relaxed vs natural debates I always wonder if white women are on hair boards debating whether they should perm their hair to get curls or not, whether they attack each other for seeking more volume and thickness to their fine straight strands, question the ethics of hair extensions. I believe that all women are interested in healthy hair that allows them whatever styling options their hearts desire.

I often wonder the same thing.

Thanks Carrie.

Within the black community "good hair" usually means non-kinky and I get the racial implications behind the glorification of "swang", but I don't see how we can act brand new about swang not exactly being what we're known for. We can't claim everything.

It's not PC, but we all know that part of the reason Dominican salons are/were such a craze is because they provided results that were unfamiliar to many BW. A shine and movement not typically associated with relaxed black hair. A focus on minimal product usage for the purpose of looking "naturally" straight haired (Dominicans are obsessed with that). We also know that traditionally BW used heavier/oilier product. I'm not understanding the newness on this.

I'm not either, but then again there are many topics here that amazingly seem brand new - especially in OT :rolleyes:. I've never seen so much newness as I have on this board. :grin: It's a tough pill to swallow to see a Black person speak frankly about aspiring to a White standard. I think if she used the term swang- it wouldn't seem so bad. But she committed a great sin and used the term White. She and the other young lady were unenlightened but there were saying things that I've heard all my life in the Black community.

Oh it was very ignorant. She was wrong and strong. But she's misinform'd and I think that was the point of Tyra's show. I think her show touch on a few things:

1. Most black women are misform'd about hair care.
2. Most black women chemically relax their because of social preception or not knowing what else to do.
3. And we make choices about our hair based on wrong information.

I would be wonderful for her to give a show on the other side of the information. I suggested this on the board once and was ridiculed for it. I bet if I'd sent her that letter the show may have been different, who knows...

To me, shes just exposing the truth about how women feel. I cant expect her to have women on her stage talking optimistic all the time. We all have different opinions...that GIRL's opinion was just ignorant (the way she put it).

I wonder this too. We're fighting over our individual preferences...I dont get it. And we are the ONLY (if one of the few) races that do this...seems senseless to me.

I relax because my hair is thick and I want it straight. You dont relax because you like curls and want variety. Who cares???? Just do you!

ETA: Not You JCD, just you in general...

I'm not either, but then again there are many topics here that amazingly seem brand new - especially in OT :rolleyes:. I've never seen so much newness as I have on this board. :grin: It's a tough pill to swallow to see a Black person speak frankly about aspiring to a White standard. I think if she used the term swang- it wouldn't seem so bad. But she committed a great sin and used the term White. She and the other young lady were unenlightened but there were saying things that I've heard all my life in the Black community.

Yeah seriousy. Ditto on your whole post.

She simply said what a lot of us really mean. Hey, own it.

I should also edit my post to clarify that I mean relaxed/straightened BW when I said we generally used heavier/oilier products. This has been a fact for generations. We all remember going to school and the white girls had the floppy pony tails where as we and/or our friends were the little melinated girls with the shiny (relaxed or pressed) ponytails that jutted straight out. You know the hair that was soft, but what direction you put it in is where it would stay. Folks know ful and well what these terms imply*looks out window to confirm I'm not misremembering*

blackgirl.jpg

Last edited:
Homegirl committed a cardinal sin. :lol:

Imagine a show about plastic surgery. The host asks why these women put themselves through such pain and expense, and the ww says, "We white women just want that black lady youth! You know how you see a bw and she's 50, but she looks 25? That's what we want!"

See, they would never say that, because they don't air their mess like we do. Even if they're thinking it. :look:

Thanks, Tyra. :lachen:

homegirl got the whole world thinkin we hate everthing about being blk--*** tyra--ugh

and WGF does not mean swanging hair to me---maybe to tyra and the idiot guest she had but wgf means nothing to me--wtf is that--is it a coined term

chinese ppl hair flow--mexcian ppl hair flow--

having hair that swangs or has movement has nothing to do with white women--who the *** coined that--lmaooo

Last edited:
I asked my caucasian coworker what is "white girl flow". She said it's different for every girl but hers is the 12th of every month. :lachen:

Homegirl committed a cardinal sin. :lol:

Imagine a show about plastic surgery. The host asks why these women put themselves through such pain and expense, and the ww says, "We white women just want that black lady youth! You know how you see a bw and she's 50, but she looks 25? That's what we want!"

See, they would never say that, because they don't air their mess like we do. Even if they're thinking it. :look:

Thanks, Tyra. :lachen:

OMG you are so right!!!! Maybe thats what irks me about Tyra. Don't be exposing us to the world. Maybe I don't watch enough Tyra...but shoot. Maybe I'm bias cause I'm black...but I feel so embarrassed when these girls are on there talking this way. Maybe she should do a show about WW who get butt implants and I would feel better.

Thanks Carrie.

THANK YOU! The same ones complaining about the White Girl Flow and swang are probably the same ones who will get up at the crack of dawn to be first in line at the Dominican salon.

Where was all the backlash for WGF in the Dominincan Blowout threads?

Everyone here wants to achieve a bouncy, LIGHT rollerset, right?

I'm more miffed at Tyra acting ignorant about not knowing what WGF meant. She knew EXACTLY what it meant and probably knows it more than anyone from workin in the modeling industry.

Good lord. Does everything have to be a FIGHT around here????

Actually, SJ, you've been around these parts long enough to know that the relaxed/natural/straightened threads ALWAYS degenerate into a fight!!! It's as predictable as saying grass is green. This is why I have started staying out of these threads and KIM!!!

Yeah seriousy. Ditto on your whole post.

She simply said what a lot of us really mean. Hey, own it.

I should also edit my post to clarify that I mean relaxed/straightened BW when I said we generally used heavier/oilier products. This has been a fact for generations. We all remember going to school and the white girls had the floppy pony tails where as we and/or our friends were the little melinated girls with the shiny (relaxed or pressed) ponytails that jutted straight out. You know the hair that was soft, but what direction you put it in is where it would stay. Folks know ful and well what these terms imply*looks out window to confirm I'm not misremembering*

blackgirl.jpg

Right. The ones that swang from side to side when they ran.:lachen: Am I the only one that remembers that. Funny thing was, when I look back at these elementary Facebook picks "our" hair was as long as theirs.........except it was always in those plat combinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back