What is your Protein treatment of choice?

My hair doesnt really like protein all that much.

When I do it though I tend to go with mild treatment like plopping an egg in my dc or some mayo. I was doing henna and aphogee but my hair got real hard and brittle. Only time I need something strong is if I just did something terrible to my head and I'm praying I can fix it lol

MsLizziA

i like the komaza alot....it doesn't dry as crunchy as the aphogee step but it works just as good if not better. it doesn't stank like aphogee either,lol. i my hair is soft but strong and i don't have to sit under the dryer with a moisturizing dc after. i just slather my hair with the aubreys conditioner of my choice and rinse. my curls look more defined as well. you could use it once a month and get anywhere btw 4-6 uses from the bottle if your hair falls btw sl and bsl. when i get a chance i'll order 2-3 bottles so i'll be set for the rest of the year through to early 2013.

My hair loves protein so I have a few that I rotate in my arsenal.

I have and use:

Keracare Restorative Mask - (mild to moderate)
KeraCare Super reconstructor (hardcore)
Duo Tek (moderate to hardcore (like leona2025, I sometimes mix it with other deep conditioners to soften it's effect)
Dudley DRC 28 - (hardcore)
Moroccanoil Intense Restorative Masque - (moderate)
AO GPB (mild)
AO Swimmers (very mild)
Affirm Sustenance - (mild to moderate)
Moroccanoil Moisture repair Conditioner (mild)
Mizani Renew Strength Reconstructin Masque (mild)

I also use black tea rinses, shikakai powder and henna which has protein-like effects on my hair as well.

Joico KPak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor has been getting the job done for me. I also like MegaTek.:yep:

I do a protein treatment 1-2xs a month.

Last edited:
I don't do hard protein but for my light treatments I alternate between:

- ORS Hair Mayo with wheatgerm oil
- Mizani Protein Reconstructor

Both do quite a good job for me

Aubrey Organics GPB, duh, everyone knows this! It is about the only conditioner I use. I deep cond weekly (wow)!

MsLizziA
My light protein treatment is ORS Hair Mayonnaise. That stuff is the bomb!

I have been using the ORS Hair Mayo also every other week. Love it! I just decided to try another one that was a bit stronger so I got some Curl Junkie Repair Me. Anyone else ever use this? Should this one be used once a month instead of twice? Hopefully that is the case because I don't think I can swing $30 again for anything that is going to get consumed. :nono:

But, I did just decrease my uses of Coconut Oil by half so maybe that is why I feel like I need more protein.

I usually don't use protein that often, maybe once per year. But when I do, I use Ion reconstructor from Sally's.

No hard proteins for me! When needed, I add two tablespoons of plain, full fat yogurt to my DC. It's gentle enough that you can do it regularly without overload.

I use Aphogee 2 minute when I need a protein treatment. I also use Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner regularly (protein conditioner).

AO GPB is my weekly deep conditioner treatment of choice. I love it, and I'm never without 2 bottles on hand.

Garner, Your in Memphis!?!? I am too, HEY!

Yes!!! Life long Memphian. :) Ooops, to answer the question...I use Giovanni SAS and I also add yogurt in my Henna mix. I do not use any hardcore protein treatments.

Last edited:
Aphoghee 2 min (big ol' bottle from Sallys)

Nexxus Emergencee -- using up a tiny bottle, prob won't repurchase

I also like the Babassu Butter Love Deep Conditioner from Brown Butter Beauty. The jar says it has wheat protein iirc.

Oh and I have an ORS pack to use up. Prob not a repurchase either.

Last edited:
I haven't need hard protein in a REALLY long time (years now--at the time it was Sebastian Penetrait--is that even still around?). Light proteins I use are MegaTek and Aphogee 2 Minute. For maintenance I use coconut oil regularly and occasionally spray Aphogee Green Tea instead of my usual Jane Carter spray l/i when I M&S.

My hair doesn't like much protein. In the past I have tried emergencee, aphogee, and cholesterol. They all worked alright, but be careful with emergencee. It's a beast!

ETA- I use cholesterol every 2nd or 3rd week when I wash now. I use mizani, nexus, or silk elements the other times.

My fav has to be an egg with some EVOO and honey
but lately ive been using Aphogee 2 min mixed with ORS replen pak or GPB

Apoghee 2step . (Im natural and my hair responds Well).

Before this worked Well :yogurt +olive oil + egg (and sometimes honey +ylang ylang ylang)

It varies ... I have used eggs, beer, joico k pak reconstruct conditioner, 2 minute aphogee, mane & tail, yogurt, mayo, etc.

I am currently using a modified eco styler custard: eco styler krystal, EVOO, liquid lecithin, EVCO, castor oil, aloe vera gel, Shapley’s MTG and Darbar (body oil to kill odor of MTG).

I usually use:

-Nexxus Emergencee (for deep reconstructuring)
-Nexxus Keraphix (for light protein treatment)
-Aubrey Organice GPB

I honestly don't use protein in my hair much at all though...:look: Definitely not as often as I used to when I was relaxed. Maybe I should do a protein treatment soon though, because I think I need a protein/moisture balance. :yep:

Idk...I guess I'm just a little worried...I don't want my natural hair to feel hard....:look: It's silly I know, but that's the impression I always get. Plus, I HATE using clarifying/drying shampoos on my natural hair. Seems like it takes forever to get the moisture balance just right again in my hair when I do. And I know I usually have to use those types of shampoos in order to do an effective protein treatment. :perplexed

I don't do hard proteins, or medium. Once I believe someone on the board...think it was naturalmanenyc that pointed out that I use avocado oil in a thread where I was swearing to the heavens that I never use protein and crave moisture (and duh! I mean I guess it's a protein). I use it a lot mixed with coconut, or argan oil overnight as a prepoo (or oil rinse some call it) and rinse it out on wash day. That's the extinct of what I use with the exception of silk proteins in silk elements conditioner or avocado in sheshentit's avocado condish. But nothing hard core...it's too much for me. Maybe because I use those often I've never needed it. My hair does crave tons of moisture so with the balance of the light oils during wash day and on ends I'm set.

Last edited:
Back