WHAT IS THE HARDEST LENGTH TO GET?

i think difficulty can also be based on how much you "watch" the hair. a watched pot never boils. i felt like i was an eternity from APL last november when i was SL. i knew i would get discouraged so i refused to wear my hair down. did a blow out in may and lo and behold i was apl. i've been checking for bsl too much recently so now i'm about to do the same thing: refuse to check for length. i wouldn't be surprised if 3 months from now i randomly check and make bsl.

that being said WL will probably be my hardest length to achieve. 1) its my "mythical fairy length" so it would be my final hair goal. 2) i will wear mbl hair out more often and less psing may make it harder to retain.

I think it depends on your body type. I am short but I have a long ET neck. I feel that it took me longer than most to get to SL. But I am finding that since reaching SL my hair is growing some, here I come APL.

@Nikki, they are scaring me too! It is taking me a while to get to APL but I have been slacking. I hope getting to my ultimate goal will be easy.

For me it was SL to APL. However, I been stuck at APL for over a year. I believe my problem is my trimming happy stylist. In 2012 I'm going to solve that problem.

Sent from my Droid using Long Hair Care Forum App

For all the SL-APLers would you say it was because of not protective styling? Why is so common that it is difficult to go from SL to APL?

@For all who wondered about SL-APL :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

For ME...I was terminally at SL (and had several setbacks through the years that would put me above SL, but I could always get right back to SL within a matter of months) because I was not protective styling and as another poster said...SL is the length that you hair is sitting right on or below your shoulders so the ends are rubbing up against your clothes and especially in the winter this can be detrimental to hair. Once I came back to LHCF and started utilizing low-manipulation styles and protective styles, it only took me about 3 months (I was full SL to just reaching APL)...But I say years because for years I was at SL...don't be scared ya'll!!!!

I'd say SL to APL is the most difficult since it took me about two years to make it there. I BCed my hair to NL back in July and I'm already back to SL. maybe as a natural it won't take so long since my retention has been great!

I plan on PSing all throughout my transition and as much as possible post chop too. Hopefully in another 6 months, I'll be at least grazing APL.

For ME...I was terminally at SL (and had several setbacks through the years that would put me above SL, but I could always get right back to SL within a matter of months) because I was not protective styling and as another poster said...SL is the length that you hair is sitting right on or below your shoulders so the ends are rubbing up against your clothes and especially in the winter this can be detrimental to hair. Once I came back to LHCF and started utilizing low-manipulation styles and protective styles, it only took me about 3 months (I was full SL to just reaching APL)...But I say years because for years I was at SL...don't be scared ya'll!!!!

This is exactly why I'm keeping my hair braided and under half-wigs until spring.:yep:

Last edited:
@readyone. For me it wasn't because of not protective styling, it was because of setbacks jumping on every bandwagon and experimentation with every product mentioned on the board. Once I settled on a simple reigmen and stuck to products that worked for me I reached by goal.

Sent from my Droid using Long Hair Care Forum App

For me, it's always been SL to APL length but that was before I found this site. Only God knows if I'll make APL or BSB by next year this time. I hope so.

positive thoughts and love to everyone.

my nape got to APL in my sleep. And i've remained around APL for over a year now. BSL? Where's that? Far away from my reach, is all I know. Humph.

I'm only a little past APL but I'll say SL to APL was the most difficult. It took me well over a year to get to APL even with constant PS-ing because of the distance between the two points.

I swear I was stalled at APL for years, so I'll say APL to BSL. Next would be BSL to WSL. By my calculations, I should have been at WSL at least 2 years ago.

I'm only a little past APL but I'll say SL to APL was the most difficult. It took me well over a year to get to APL even with constant PS-ing because of the distance between the two points.
Girl judging by the pic in your avatar, I would think you are well over APL. Your hair looks great!

@Janet - Girl you were scaring me too lol...I just hit SL and for the first time noticed the HUGE distance between my shoulders and my armpit.

Based on your experience, those of us with hella shrinkage may not have as much to worry about in terms of breakage, right? I have about 80% shrinkage, so even though I'm currently SL stretched, I am definitely not in jeopardy of breakage caused by rubbing....I still shrink back up to a TWA! lol

Going from Bald to SL was a breeze, but from SL to APL-whoo...I don't even want to think about the struggle. Took a good year...I am currently working on BSL

Getting to APL both relaxed and natural have been no problem. Getting past APL sent me into uncharted waters :look:. I have been inches above my bra-strap (about MBL for me) forever. I almost feel like I'll also be almost BSL. Hopefully I'll be there by January, though by December 31 at 11:59pm would be nice too :lachen:.

@Janet - Girl you were scaring me too lol...I just hit SL and for the first time noticed the HUGE distance between my shoulders and my armpit.

Based on your experience, those of us with hella shrinkage may not have as much to worry about in terms of breakage, right? I have about 80% shrinkage, so even though I'm currently SL stretched, I am definitely not in jeopardy of breakage caused by rubbing....I still shrink back up to a TWA! lol

LOL! I will say that I was a straight-haired natural during that time...but even now, my natural hair stops right about my shoulder (I'm BSL) so I've started wearing my hair up in a pony to avoid the rubbing...

:cry2: I should never have come in here! I have the longest neck and torso. Oh well, I guess as long as my hair is healthy, I should be happy (right?) :ohwell:

I would say APL to BSL. I've been APL forever, and it seems like BSL is taking forever to reach.

Back