What is the best way to improve the moisture level in your hair?

Best method to improve moisture level in hair is......

• Deep Conditioning

Votes: 312 61.1%
  • Co-washing

Votes: 85 16.6%
  • Baggying

Votes: 68 13.3%
  • other (be specific)

Votes: 46 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted baggying...... whole head baggying, that is. Do this a few nights in a row, and you'll regain that moisture back PRONTO!!! ;)

I agree with what everyone else said, especially clarifying if you're using 'cones. Also I think Silicon Mix doesn't do much on it's own, but if you mix it with a couple dabs of Porosity Control it works wonders.

artemis_e. said:
Ditto to all the advice you've received here :yep:

Personally, I DC'd 2x/week for like a month before my moisture level was corrected. I was doing it for 20 min. a pop at first, but then I increased it to 45 min for the last 2 weeks and that really pushed it over the top. Now I'd really have to manipulate and work my hair hard to get it to feel dry. I read somewhere awhile back (I think maybe in Shamboosie's book) that a conditioner's moisturizing properties last in the hair approx. 4-5 days, so you want to build up a sort of foundation for your hair to work w/by DC-ing every 3-4 days. It's worked for me :). Now all I do now is make sure to incorporate protein in my regimen at least weekly (either via a leave-in or a cream) to not only facilitate moisture retention but also to maintain some strength and structure to my fine strands.

Oh, also, a DC I'd recommend is PM Supercharged. It's great! I mix it w/Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus (mineral-oil free) for my DCs and it's never let me down.

HTH

Hi artemis_e.

Thanks for sharing this info I never knew this. I am really going to start DCing, I am going to do it consistently starting this week. I just did a protein treatment and I will be doing this once a week or every other from now on. What is PM Supercharged?

SouthernTease said:
I'd say drink more water
AND try to add two tablespoons
of olive oil/day to your food.
This worked wonders for
me... my skin and hair were
amazing and the results were
almost instant... I noticed
a difference overnight.

Dry Skin/Scalp could be
a sign of a sulphur deficiency...
have you thought aout taking MSM?
This is not as instant as my first suggestion
but... whatever ;)

Lastly... I do the co-washing, baggy method,
deep condtioning... weekly... I also do not
use Shampoo... only to clarify... I co wash
almost everyday so I clarify once a week.

That's my 2 cent :look:

Hey SouthernTease, your hair is nice and healthy which is my first goal. Thanks for adding your 2 cents ;) and I will try adding olive oil to my food especially if it will help my skin. I never thought about msm. :eek: I feel you on the no shampoo thing, I am seriously considering stopping also. I really love cowashing I do it almost everyday also.

locabouthair said:
how did the olive oil work for your skin and hair?

to the OP, if you take flaxseed oil I think its better if you take the actual oil versus the capsules.

Thanks for the tip, locabouthair.:)

KiniKakes said:
I voted baggying...... whole head baggying, that is. Do this a few nights in a row, and you'll regain that moisture back PRONTO!!! ;)

Hey Kini, you and your hair are beautiful. I was whole head baggying with scurl but my hair started shedding alot so I stopped...I really liked it too. I might start back using something other than scurl.

Deep Condition with a moisturizing conditioner every week for 45 min for 8 weeks. This worked worked well for me for the first 6 months of my hair care.

metalkitty said:
I agree with what everyone else said, especially clarifying if you're using 'cones. Also I think Silicon Mix doesn't do much on it's own, but if you mix it with a couple dabs of Porosity Control it works wonders.

Hello metalkitty

I am really about to start clarifying regularly, thanks for the tip. So, adding porosity control to the silicon mix works hugh....maybe I'll try that.

SerenityBreeze said:
Deep Condition with a moisturizing conditioner every week for 45 min for 8 weeks. This worked worked well for me for the first 6 months of my hair care.

Hey SerenityBreeze, one if my hair idols..lol....anyway you really broke it down. I am def about to start DCing on the regular. Do you use heat and a plastic cap? Thanks.

For me, it is my leave in and moisturizing that does it. Deep conditioning does more for me in the protein area, but my moisture is really optimal because of my leave in choice on wet hair, supplemented by any moisture I apply a few days a week on dry hair.

HoneyDew said:
For me, it is my leave in and moisturizing that does it. Deep conditioning does more for me in the protein area, but my moisture is really optimal because of my leave in choice on wet hair, supplemented by any moisture I apply a few days a week on dry hair.

Hey Honeydew,

I wish my hair would stay moisturized by just using leave ins & moisturizers. I have to cowash my hair in order to add moisture to my hair and then after it dries its back dull and lifeless again. I think my hair is super porous or I just need to clarify like many of the ladies have posted.

I was in your same position once and then I found out about olive oil. That has worked wonders for me. I tried every product under the sun and did not realize my remedy was in the kitchen cabinet. Overnight, my hair changed for the better. I deep condition with Keracare and heated olive oil with a plastic cap for over an hour. I rinsed it out and rollerset with Motion's foam wrap lotion. My hair was super shiney and bouncey. I love the effects of olive oil.

My hair too was dull and lifeless!

saratess said:
I was in your same position once and then I found out about olive oil. That has worked wonders for me. I tried every product under the sun and did not realize my remedy was in the kitchen cabinet. Overnight, my hair changed for the better. I deep condition with Keracare and heated olive oil with a plastic cap for over an hour. I rinsed it out and rollerset with Motion's foam wrap lotion. My hair was super shiney and bouncey. I love the effects of olive oil.

My hair too was dull and lifeless!

Cool....thanks sartess!!

sweetcoco said:
Hey Honeydew,

I wish my hair would stay moisturized by just using leave ins & moisturizers. I have to cowash my hair in order to add moisture to my hair and then after it dries its back dull and lifeless again. I think my hair is super porous or I just need to clarify like many of the ladies have posted.

Well, I actually have to clarify everytime because my water was tested to have excess mineral deposits. before this, my hair was chronically dry. I have to use Kenra Clarifying or from Sally's the ION shampoo for hardwater everytime I wash. I have to follow that up with something moisturizing - my staple is Porosity Control Shampoo. So for me, I guess it is not just the leave in and moisturizers that do it - there is a lot of work done to even get to that point. :)

Also, I use Mane N Tail Original conditioner. I notice that when I leave in on with a plastic cap for 20-30 min with or without heat, my hair is way more moisturized and NG is easier to handle than when I just do a rinse out. So I think that deep conditioning does help with moisture too. :)

That MNT is bangin w/heat, it should get more credit than it's given. My daughter's hair craves off of protein and her hair loves MNT. You just reminded me of this I need to repurchase it for her.
HoneyDew said:
Well, I actually have to clarify everytime because my water was tested to have excess mineral deposits. before this, my hair was chronically dry. I have to use Kenra Clarifying or from Sally's the ION shampoo for hardwater everytime I wash. I have to follow that up with something moisturizing - my staple is Porosity Control Shampoo. So for me, I guess it is not just the leave in and moisturizers that do it - there is a lot of work done to even get to that point. :)

Also, I use Mane N Tail Original conditioner. I notice that when I leave in on with a plastic cap for 20-30 min with or without heat, my hair is way more moisturized and NG is easier to handle than when I just do a rinse out. So I think that deep conditioning does help with moisture too. :)

sweetcoco said:
Hi artemis_e.

Thanks for sharing this info I never knew this. I am really going to start DCing, I am going to do it consistently starting this week. I just did a protein treatment and I will be doing this once a week or every other from now on. What is PM Supercharged?

Sorry, just getting back to this thread...

Paul Mitchell SuperCharged Moisturizer

Here's a link:
http://www.paulmitchell.com/Products/PaulMitchell/Moisture/Pages/Super-ChargedMoisturizer.aspx

ETA: I use either Motions CPR Reconstructor (bottle) or Nexxus Keraphix on my hair 1x/week before DC-ing. If I still feel like I need more protein, I may use Joico K-Pak Leave-In Reconstructor spray prior to styling. It's said to be comparable to the regular K-pak. HTH

Last edited:
HoneyDew said:

Hi Honeydew

I never knew there was a shampoo for hardwater, thanks for this tip. I am seriuosly thinking about using porosity control regularly.

artemis_e. said:
Sorry, just getting back to this thread...

Paul Mitchell SuperCharged Moisturizer

Here's a link:
http://www.paulmitchell.com/Products/PaulMitchell/Moisture/Pages/Super-ChargedMoisturizer.aspx

ETA: I use either Motions CPR Reconstructor (bottle) or Nexxus Keraphix on my hair 1x/week before DC-ing. If I still feel like I need more protein, I may use Joico K-Pak Leave-In Reconstructor spray prior to styling. It's said to be comparable to the regular K-pak. HTH

Thank you artemis_e.

I have tried Paul Mitchell products in the past and they are great but a little expensive. I may have to give in and try this product.

sweetcoco said:
Thank you artemis_e.

I have tried Paul Mitchell products in the past and they are great but a little expensive. I may have to give in and try this product.

You're welcome, SC!

I started out being a PM groupie, but then I branched out and found other great products; now that's the only PM product that I use (I love Joico now!). I usu. buy the largest size of the Supercharged, but b/c I mix it w/the Lustrasilk (and sometimes Motions Moisture Plus or Doo Gro Deep Down) it lasts way longer than if I just used it alone. But the ingredients in it are way too good to pass down, IMO.

sweetcoco said:
I am dealing with dry hair and I have no idea how to correct this issue. It seems like every time after I wash/cowash my hair I apply my leave ins and moisturizers and seal with oil and let it airdry and afterwards my hair is so dry and dull. I will admit that I have used heat about 4 times between last month and this month. What could I be doing wrong? What do you think is the best method to improve moisture levels in hair?

Thanks ladies
sweetcoco

I choose in my case : co washing and moisturize daily+sealing!

Hey ladies :wave:

I actually took everyone's advice and my hair came out great. First, I clarified with vo5 kiwi and lime shampoo, I used my 12 en 1 conditioner rinse, I DC'd with miss key 10 en 1 and then I used my porosity control conditioner. Today I co-washed and let it airdry and my ends did not look all frizzy and dry like it usually does. I was surprised and very pleased.Thank you ladies you all are the best. ;)

I forgot to mention that before I airdried I used my rusk smoother, Scurl, BB hair lotion and sealed with africa's best herbal oil. Since rusk smoother has cones I will clarify once a week or two.

Last edited:
I use Nexus Humectress..its beatiful.use it every night and it makes my hair so soft..oooh.I just rub a bit in my hair and then wrap my hair....sometimes i add a bit of oil serum also...but its all abt the Nexus

Tara G. said:
I use Nexus Humectress..its beatiful.use it every night and it makes my hair so soft..oooh.I just rub a bit in my hair and then wrap my hair....sometimes i add a bit of oil serum also...but its all abt the Nexus

What Nexxus product are you using?

Tara G. said:

Hi Tara G.

I read so much about "Nexxus" products and how good they are. I always see them in the stores now days and I used to always go to the Nexxus website and read all the good info they give about ph balance and many other things. For a long time I felt that their products had to be the bomb because the company gives so much detailed info about ingredients and about hair. I never tried it because I thought it was possible that it could let me down like all the other expensive brands have but I am convinced that nexxus is worth a try.:yep:

Hi ladies.

The product is called Nexus Humectress it is an ultimate moisturising conditioner.Personally i used to have their shampoo and use it but since i ran out i havent bought anymore because of the price and im a student.I still had some Humectress left over from when i bought the shampoos.I use it every night before i wrap my hair.I guess you wont know till you try it personally.what works for me may not work for you.Maybe they give away samples on the website.not sure..i just took a risk because i was so desperate to find smthing that worked for me.HTH.

I voted deep condition. After a good deep condition my hair is so soft and moist and just feels great overall. :)

Co-washing is the bomb. :Flahsssss It has increased my moisture level so much that I do it very often. Not to mention it grew my hair alot.

freshlikemoi said:
Co-washing is the bomb. :Flahsssss It has increased my moisture level so much that I do it very often. Not to mention it grew my hair alot.

:yep: I totally agree!

how did the olive oil work for your skin and hair?

to the OP, if you take flaxseed oil I think its better if you take the actual oil versus the capsules.

I take flaxseed oil 1 tablespoon a day. When I talked to the helathfood store owners, I was advised that the actual oil is better than the capsules and better than the actual seeds.

You would need to take like 8 capsules to get the protein gained from 1 tablespoon worth. The benefit & cost just worked out better to get the oil.

Make sure that the oil you buy is in a refridgerated area and in a dark bottle. Otherwise it's no good.

Oh and for me , Deep Conditioning once a week is the best. I use Sheneeique Silk Reforming Complex under the dryer for 45 minutes.

Last edited:
Back