What is it with men not properly planning first dates?

FemmeFatale

A lot of them want the women to choose where to go and I don't understand why. Is it laziness? Trying to figure out the woman's taste? I had a nice Senegalese guy that I met the other day tell me "whatever you want, you're the queen :look:"

On one hand, I love hearing those words, just not when it comes to planning the first date, lol.

I think it's just typical male behavior. Men tend to be more laid back about things than women and they just want us to be happy. I've been so irritated with FH about his lack of decisiveness on things like what to eat for dinner or what to do on the weekends but then I realized that my father is the same way with my mom.

I feel you OP. I understand their desire to be flexible but if you have lived in the area for more than one month he should have an idea of a nice place.

I have no idea why men do this? Maybe I can ask a guy friend. I love for a man to take charge, so the fact that you can plan a date on your own is impressive to me. I'm not sure if they are being lazy, or if they are just afraid to plan something that will turn you off! LOL

I feel you OP. I understand their desire to be flexible but if you have lived in the area for more than one month he should have an idea of a nice place.

He's from the city and knows lots of nice places! I'm annoyed.

I'm choosing Mr. Chow's since the beautiful Barolo is closed. I've always wanted to try their duck.

IDK, I don't think it's typical man stuff. I've dated far more men who've planned our dates than not. I can't really explain why some don't plan. It's a mixture of a bunch of things. Some men aren't used to putting much effort into anything. But I do know that it's annoying and a turn off. I need a take charge man.

I've found this very common with the wealthier, busier men I have dated in the past. One guy told me he was ready for some time off and told me to pick the destination, time, set the flight reservations and send to him for payment. On the one hand, I liked that I got to pick what I wanted, on the other hand, I thought it was a little lazy on his part and he was treating me like a secretary :lol:

Another guy told me something similar, pick the restaurant, date, and time, and he would fly out. Both guys work very hard, like 24/7, and are very successful.

Not sure if this is what is going on with your date but I do think workaholics can be like this.

I've found this very common with the wealthier, busier men I have dated in the past. One guy told me he was ready for some time off and told me to pick the destination, time, set the flight reservations and send to him for payment. On the one hand, I liked that I got to pick what I wanted, on the other hand, I thought it was a little lazy on his part and he was treating me like a secretary :lol:

Another guy told me something similar, pick the restaurant, date, and time, and he would fly out. Both guys work very hard, like 24/7, and are very successful.

Not sure if this is what is going on with your date but I do think workaholics can be like this.

Ermmm he's doing alright, he a seasoned computer engineer that works in Manhattan.

he's in nyc he should good and got damn know a nice place to take you---he can google or choose from the plethora of lux places we have everywhere..he betta ask somebody! loll

but in all honesty it maybe just a man thing--sigghh and i never truly give their gender a pass but...

he's in nyc he should good and got damn know a nice place to take you---he can google or choose from the plethora of lux places we have everywhere..he betta ask somebody! loll

but in all honesty it maybe just a man thing--sigghh and i never truly give their gender a pass but...

This has happened with the past few guys I've dated too. I don't know what to make of it.

It makes me angry that nowadays these men are spoiled .....roles are slowly reversing. They're becoming lazy and don't want to take charge anymore. :nono: It's up to us to make them step up though and stop letting them get away with not courting us properly. (men who get lazy after they snag you is a whole different story though LOL)

I know how you can fix him though, if he asks what you want to do then recommend a girlie movie and shopping afterwards and I bet you he'll think of something else to do LOL.

I feel you. Men can be so lazy and self-entitled. smh lol I don't know who these women are that enabled this laziness mindset where they dont have to make an effort. But that ish doesnt work for me.

Male laziness doesnt really bother me tho bc I have this character trait that makes me a lot of work by default: I'm extremely self-centered. (not to be confused with self-absorbed.) I'm also an introvert. This means that not only is my time precious, I only like to do what I want to do. So the only way for ANYONE to get me to do anything, from talking on the phone to spending time in any form, is to make it worth my time. gotta convince me to GAF. :lol: Other than that, we wont be talking at all and you wont be seeing me because I have no reason to entertain/engage. Unless it's my mama, SO I'm in a relationship or a loved one's life crisis, seeing me or talking to me AT ALL demands the other person get creative or play mind reader. I expect people to make my life easier, not harder. If I wanted to plan a date or use my ideas, I'd take my damn self. :lachen:

figure it out. they move slow but men that are really interested EVENTUALLY catch on. if not, oh well. be lazy, i'll just ignore you. i dont save numbers and probably already forgot your name. saves me the hassle of taking time away from myself. :lol: <---plus I hate dating and being in a relationship, even tho I seem to always be in one. :ohwell:

I would have politely told the dude in the OP what I tell everyone: I dont call men, but feel free to call if you have a date for us :-)

I love when they tell me whatever I want. I let them know exactly where I want to go to dinner and what activity I want to do. I am an alpha female with Beta tendencies, i'm comfortable taking the lead and following. I actually don't care who plans the date, since I'm not paying.

Actually, I prefer to do something I like, this way I'm sure to enjoy myself. :grin:

Ermmm he's doing alright, he a seasoned computer engineer that works in Manhattan.

He's probably been to every place! I know when I'm home and a friend from OFT is visiting NY I ask them where do you want to eat. It's so hard for me to choose because I've been to so many restaurants before and I can't think of one in particular or over the other to take someone to. So for me, it's wherever the other person wants to go. No biggie.

Have you been to Bobby Vans?? I love it there and I don't even eat beef anymore. Their NY location is the flagship but I actually like the one in DC better. You'll enjoy it there.

I didn't realize there were so many locations in NY, I thought there were only two. I've been to the one on Park Ave and I like it.

I mean what ever happened to romance? I think planning ahead is part of the romance factor. The strange thing about it all is that he was so adamant about us going out, but put the planning in my court.

[QUOTE=JewelleNY;18769949]I've found this very common with the wealthier, busier men I have dated in the past. One guy told me he was ready for some time off and told me to pick the destination, time, set the flight reservations and send to him for payment. On the one hand, I liked that I got to pick what I wanted, on the other hand, I thought it was a little lazy on his part and he was treating me like a secretary :lol:

Not sure if this is what is going on with your date but I do think workaholics can be like this.[/QUOTE]

I would not mind planning a vacation but a guy should know at a good restaurant. It gets annoying after awhile.
FemmeFatale your in nyc now this guy knew better what if you said i want to go per se or le bernadine and he said yes then screamed when he saw the bill.
I had a friend get into trouble with that and i told him well you told her to pick the place.

No that's not it.

so true--im all about romance and all that cheesy stuff--dh was an alpha male who didn't have to do any of that for his former roster--me--i broke the mold when we met and he's never looked back..i didn't tolerate anything that wasn't my love language i told him and he "figured it out" ..and when he was on his alpha ish i was entertaining the dudes who were romancing me and then would send him the pics---lmaoo ( i know i know but thats how i roll)

in this instance i would push the ball back into his court--hey i like surprises- let me know what you come up with and I'm there! do not plan your first date! do not!

my thing is i think this generation thinks anything romantic is cheesy so guys don't want to associate themselves with anything to romantic and cheesy--

i remember in the bookstore there were so many damn romance novels back in my day now--pleaseee--i see a bunch of self help books on the shelves--lol sign of our times

I mean what ever happened to romance? I think planning ahead is part of the romance factor. The strange thing about it all is that he was so adamant about us going out, but put the planning in my court.

Please don't plan anything about the first date whatsoever but what you plan to wear. If you don't want to be the leader in the potential relationship don't start.

ETA: I'm talking about first dates. Later on he can ask where to go, etc.

Last edited:
I feel you. Men can be so lazy and self-entitled. smh lol I don't know who these women are that enabled this laziness mindset where they dont have to make an effort. But that ish doesnt work for me.

Male laziness doesnt really bother me tho bc I have this character trait that makes me a lot of work by default: I'm extremely self-centered. (not to be confused with self-absorbed.) I'm also an introvert. This means that not only is my time precious, I only like to do what I want to do. So the only way for ANYONE to get me to do anything, from talking on the phone to spending time in any form, is to make it worth my time. gotta convince me to GAF. :lol: Other than that, we wont be talking at all and you wont be seeing me because I have no reason to entertain/engage. Unless it's my mama, SO I'm in a relationship or a loved one's life crisis, seeing me or talking to me AT ALL demands the other person get creative or play mind reader. I expect people to make my life easier, not harder. If I wanted to plan a date or use my ideas, I'd take my damn self. :lachen:

figure it out. they move slow but men that are really interested EVENTUALLY catch on. if not, oh well. be lazy, i'll just ignore you. i dont save numbers and probably already forgot your name. saves me the hassle of taking time away from myself. :lol: <---plus I hate dating and being in a relationship, even tho I seem to always be in one. :ohwell:

I would have politely told the dude in the OP what I tell everyone: I dont call men, but feel free to call if you have a date for us :-)

barbiesocialite I'm surprised that you're an introvert. What's your MBTI, if you don't mind sharing?

To answer the OP, I usually tell them that I'm really indecisive and I'd feel more comfortable if they'd plan it all out.

I've been told I'm an Alpha Female in that I don't give to a man that isn't giving to me first. In spite of this, I wouldn't consider myself an Alpha though. I prefer traditional gender roles. But I'm realizing that might be why I attract very strong Alpha Men. I need an aggressive man. I can easily eat the others for breakfast.:look:
So most men usually take charge with me....and if they don't..I usually lose interest.

Please don't plan anything about the first date whatsoever but what you plan to wear. If you don't want to be the leader in the potential relationship don't start.

ETA: I'm talking about first dates. Later on he can ask where to go, etc.

See I think he's trying to feel me out because he told me to let him know where and that he'll take it from there.

This was where I originally wanted to go but it's closed :-( NYC ladies help me out, do you know any other places with the indoor/outdoor garden?

Attachments

• image-1370695110.jpg
    image-1370695110.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 70
Back