What hair styles prove you're not wearing a weave?

PersuasiveBeauty

What hair styles prove that you are not wearing a weave?

My friend is has relaxed 4a waist length hair, and people often assume that it is a weave. I told her to keep it pushing and not worry about what other people think, but she keeps asking me to post and find out if anyone knows of any ways to prove that your hair is not a weave, while showing off your length at the same time.

Last edited:
Maybe a half up half down style with a visible parting in the back as well as a parting in the front?

Even if it is obvious that your friend is not wearing a weave people will always think "well it must be a really good weave" because there aren't many people in general, apart from Asians, who have waist length hair; especially those with type 4 hair.

People will still have something to say (from what I have gathered). They'll either put it down to having Indian in you or just having a really good lace wig.

She should probably wear her hair up or in a style where her hair is parted.

I wore my hair down and parted in the middle for the 1st time in 8 months. I walked up in the beauty supply store to get another wig and the woman said, "You might want to take your lace wig off first before trying on a wig." Smh. And my hair is just average length. So no matter how you wear it, they may still think its a wig. lol. Take it as a compliment. :)

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

Last edited:
I wore my hair down and parted in the middle for the 1st time in 8 months. I walked up in the beauty supply store to get another wig and the woman said, "You might want to take your lace wig off first before trying on a wig." Smh. And my hair is just average length. So no matter how you wear it, they may still think its a wig. lol. Take it as a compliment. :)

This is how I wore my hair.

:lachen:Some people really can't help themselves smh, is it really that hard to give a woman the benefit of the doubt? golly.

Your hair is definitely longer than the average woman in a wig shop though..

My hair is barely APL but honestly, now that I'm relaxed I feel a little uncomfortable when women ogle my hair, I'm more aware of how insecure many women are about their hair and I don't want to contribute to those feelings. When I was a loose natural and loc'd I was in my own little hair world and people didn't react the same to my hair as they do now. As my hair keeps growing I don't really mind if someone thinks its a weave, just as long as they don't tell me I'm lying if they ask me directly.

PREmedicalrulz imma have to call u a liar for calling your hair "average length" lol love your hair and your pretty pic

PREmedicalrulz imma have to call u a liar for calling your hair "average length" lol love your hair and your pretty pic

LOL!!!!! Thank you. My bad, y'all know this forum spolied us to think WL is long & all other length is average. ;)

Unfortunately wearing a part down the middle does not mean no weave. I wore a part down the middle (two braids) and had 18 inch fusion aka strand by strand weave. Unless someone was literally digging around in my scalp they would not have known it was a weave. I got a lot of compliments for taking the time to grow out "my hair" from men. Even DH asked me back then (we were starting to date) how my hair got so long.

People will think what they want anyway. Wearing a certain hairstyle won't stop that.

Last edited:

This is how I wore my hair.

You and your hair are gorgeous!

Last edited:
Maybe I just have an IDGAF attitude. So what if someone else thinks that I have a weave??? Why does it matter if someone else is wearing a weave? I didnt pay for theirs and they didnt pay for mine. Tell your friend that if she is always trying to convince people, she will never have peace.

Let people talk, they will anyway.

I don't have an answer to your question PersuasiveBeauty. I could not think of anything long that people would consider not a weave.

I can't wait to get weave checked though. No one thinks my hair is a weave :look:

So when I get the 1st, Is that a weave? question, I am going out celebrating. You won't be able to tell me nothing. And yep they can put their hands in it so I can jump up and down like a fool. :yep:

there isn't any style, lol. even high buns, half up, half down doesn't cut it these days. because it could still be well-done microlink extensions or a bomb lacefront app.
she should just keep it moving and swanging, cause if folks wanna get all bent out of shape, that's their problem.

People will think its a weave regardless.I've had long hair all my life and I get weave checked every other week when I was bordering WL I got weave checked aaaall the time.even when I wear my hair half up half down I still get asked if my hair is a weave.and when ppl find out its my hair they don't say I'm mixed with indian they say I'm prob mixed with dominican cause I look dominican.it got to the point where I got so annoyed that when ppl claimed I had to be half dominican I would just be like yeah my grandfather is dominican his name is Jesus.and ppl would b like ahaaa I knew it!all satisfied and sheiit.lol

This is a good question lol.

When I had my hair straightened (it's just past BSL now) I'm sure people just thought it was a weave. Maybe not even a good weave!:blush:

Because no one batted an eye in my direction, no "is that your real hair?" questions, nothing. Only my friends and family, I think, knew it was real.

I was there all flipping my hair around and **** and I bet people were just thinking, "why does this chick keep flipping her weave?" :lol:

Any hair style can be replicated by a good stylist and look believable. You don't even have to be a stylist to learn the tricks. So to answer your friend's question there are none, and she should stop worrying about what random people think. If she has hair that she's happy with then that should be good enough.

I don't want to get your friend jumped outside the BSS :boxing: but if all my hard work paid off to the point that I'm getting weave checked................

I would white girl flip my hair around and say " Awwww...thank you but it's not a weave....and white girl flip it back around :grin::gorgeous::gorgeous:

I can already see, imma need a neck brace and I need to start weightlifting :lachen:

Last edited:
even though i generally agree with the "pay them no mind" comments. it really stinks when someone thinks all of your hard work (years of hair care, DC's, careful detanglings, endless hours on this site :lol: and etc) is the equivalent of something made in like 30 min in some out of country shop. it's like a back-handed compliment.

once, i had my natural hair in twists and the woman at the counter asked where i bought my weave. i pulled a twist and said "its mine-see?" she gave me that fake arse smile like" mhmmmm sure" i didnt like that and i didnt take it as a compliment either. later that week a colleague walked up to me in the school library and started touching my twists all the while gushing (loudly) I love this! where did you buy this hair!? people looked up and studied my hair. it was awkward:ohwell:

maybe two french braids would be a good style for your friend OP since that features a huge part down the middle. This is just something that people have to deal with long or short.

I think pigtails with a zigzag part down the middle from the hairline to the nape would be hard to fake.

High ponytail with a small band instead of a thick scrunchie.

Two pigtails.

Tshirt that says "phuck u. Yes. It's real"......lol!

Some people have so much nerve. This happens to me all the time. I do not consider it a compliment......ticks me off. Has for years.....

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

snillohsss Girl....

OP tell your friend it's not that serious. As long as SHE knows it's real, who cares what people think? I know we're on LHCF and all, but for goodness sakes, it IS just hair.

Last edited:
She may as well give it up every style could be done with extensions. She should just rock her hair the way she wants and enjoy it.

once, i had my natural hair in twists and the woman at the counter asked where i bought my weave. i pulled a twist and said "its mine-see?" she gave me that fake arse smile like" mhmmmm sure" i didnt like that and i didnt take it as a compliment either. later that week a colleague walked up to me in the school library and started touching my twists all the while gushing (loudly) I love this! where did you buy this hair!? people looked up and studied my hair. it was awkward:ohwell:

Yea I can't lie, that would piss me off.

I think pigtails with a zigzag part down the middle from the hairline to the nape would be hard to fake.

True but where is she going looking like that? Unless she's Da Brat :lol:

Back