What hair styles prove you're not wearing a weave?

I would say something with many parts in it.

With Lace wigs, lace frontals, fusion, micro-rings, etc., you can show as many parts as you want and fool just about anyone including yourself. :)

ETA - I'm not offended when someone thinks my hair is a weave and never will be, but if this truly bothers OP's friend so deeply then maybe she should just go nuts with bad hair practices. Relax every month from roots to ends, blow dry and iron daily or even twice/day if needed, use harsh cheapie shampoo and skip the deep conditioners - who needs them anyway? :) Wear four tight pony tails so that people can see her scalp secured with those rubber bands you get from the produce section at the grocery store, etc. Soon her long, lush locks that look so good people think they must be fake, will break off, thin out, the parts will get wider and wider, and overall her hair will start to look more "realistic". No one wears a balding weave, so that would get rid of the confusion.

Last edited:
I wore my hair down and parted in the middle for the 1st time in 8 months. I walked up in the beauty supply store to get another wig and the woman said, "You might want to take your lace wig off first before trying on a wig." Smh. And my hair is just average length. So no matter how you wear it, they may still think its a wig. lol. Take it as a compliment. :)
Stop playing; your hair is not average length in the Americas or Europe. :spinning:

Weave checkers are going to weave check. It's a sign of the times. I don't think any style on relaxed hair would "prove anything". It's sort of sad actually IMO.

With Lace wigs, lace frontals, fusion, micro-rings, etc., you can show as many parts as you want and fool just about anyone including yourself. :)

ETA - I'm not offended when someone thinks my hair is a weave and never will be, but if this truly bothers OP's friend so deeply then maybe she should just go nuts with bad hair practices. Relax every month from roots to ends, blow dry and iron daily or even twice/day if needed, use harsh cheapie shampoo and skip the deep conditioners - who needs them anyway? :) Wear four tight pony tails so that people can see her scalp secured with those rubber bands you get from the produce section at the grocery store, etc. Soon her long, lush locks that look so good people think they must be fake, will break off, thin out, the parts will get wider and wider, and overall her hair will start to look more "realistic". No one wears a balding weave, so that would get rid of the confusion.

No you didn't. lauging my butt off!!:lachen:

So I thought of this thread today...

I was giving a career presentation at a middle school this morning and a boy in the class says "That's some nice hair you got on ma'am :grin:"
:lachen:

He was sweet though...

People will think its a weave regardless.I've had long hair all my life and I get weave checked every other week when I was bordering WL I got weave checked aaaall the time.even when I wear my hair half up half down I still get asked if my hair is a weave.and when ppl find out its my hair they don't say I'm mixed with indian they say I'm prob mixed with dominican cause I look dominican.it got to the point where I got so annoyed that when ppl claimed I had to be half dominican I would just be like yeah my grandfather is dominican his name is Jesus.and ppl would b like ahaaa I knew it!all satisfied and sheiit.lol

:rofl: :rofl:

Next time someone asks me if its a weave im just saying yes... Seems people are more satisfied with that answer... Say "no its not a weave" and next thing u know u turn around and unwelcomed fingers are all in ur scalp! Do urself and ur hair a favor and just let em believe what they want!

Next time someone asks me if its a weave im just saying yes... Seems people are more satisfied with that answer... Say "no its not a weave" and next thing u know u turn around and unwelcomed fingers are all in ur scalp! Do urself and ur hair a favor and just let em believe what they want!
@blackberry815 lol but see the next question will be "What kind of hair is that??" So you should say something like "it's Aborigine Silk" :yep:"

i can't wait to have that problem:look::yep:

oh yeah and DO YOU and work with what you got!! cause if they hate they gon hate anyway!~true story!!

No one has ever asked me or DDs if our hair was weave. My hair's never "dyed, fried and laid to the side", so maybe that's the reason :lachen: They prolly figure no one would buy a weave/wig and have it look so "undone". My oldest DD could sit on her hair, so maybe it's too long to be a weave? I dunno.

People do ask if we're natural, though - even when it's straightened. When I tell them it's natural, they say "I figured it was", or something like that. I think Black women are beginning to realize that it's generally easier to grow our hair to great lengths when chemical relaxers aren't being used.

Last edited:
Re: What hair styles prove that you are not wearing a weave?

My friend is has relaxed 4a waist length hair, and people often assume that it is a weave. I told her to keep it pushing and not worry about what other people think, but she keeps asking me to post and find out if anyone knows of any ways to prove that your hair is not a weave, while showing off your length at the same time.

Not for nothing but I wish I had that problem. I wouldn't care what people think because just as long as I know it's mine, that's all that matters.

I don't really think there is a hairstyle. Sometimes i look at women and just know, but for others, I still have to look.

Since I was SL, people still never believed that this was my hair. And I was bone straight at the time. I'm not sure now if people think its my hair or not, most know its mine, but some think I fill in my buns with socks or those bun fillers. When people ask or "dig" their fingers in my bun, I politely remind them its mine and relaxed hair can grow too. I know most of them don't mean any disrespect, and I don't take it like that, but as long as I know my hair is real and that people need confirmation to understand I'm not bald, I just enjoy the humor.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

I like threads like this.

I posted a weave check experience a few years ago. It was really dramatic.

I don't consider anything above APL to be long, but I somehow get family members like my cousins asking if my hair is mine and when I used to have a bluntly cut bob I used to get the same. I think people just aren't used to seeing healthy hair.

I always say "No it's not mine, I borrowed it from my mum and I have to give it back next sunday"

Back