What do you think about the BGEA and Mormonism issue?

FrazzledFraggle

409193_10151168396693046_1171530783_n.jpg

I hope you all can see this article. I got it out of the Billy Graham Evangelical Association magazine.

BGEA is located where I live. I've been to the Library many times and I've always had a lot of respect for that Association.

Reading this article and the news about removing "mormonism" from the list of cults based on a meeting with Romney has me a little upset. I read the article by Franklin Graham in this magazine and wanted your thoughts on it.

I'm sure you all know what Mormons believe or have researched it at this point but I will post about it here just in case.

The Mormon religion (Mormonism), whose followers are known as Mormons and Latter Day Saints (LDS), was founded less than two hundred years ago by a man named Joseph Smith. He claimed to have received a personal visit from God the Father and Jesus Christ who told him that all churches and their creeds were an abomination. Joseph Smith then set out to begin a brand-new religion that claims to be the “only true church on earth.” The problem with Mormonism is that it contradicts, modifies, and expands on the Bible. Christians have no reason to believe that the Bible is not true and adequate. To truly believe in and trust God means to believe in His Word, and all Scripture is inspired by God, which means it comes from Him (2 Timothy 3:16).

Mormons believe that there are in fact four sources of divinely inspired words, not just one: 1) The Bible “as far as it is translated correctly.” Which verses are considered incorrectly translated is not always made clear. 2) The Book of Mormon, which was “translated” by Smith and published in 1830. Smith claimed it is the “most correct book” on earth and that a person can get closer to God by following its precepts “than by any other book.” 3) The Doctrine and Covenants, containing a collection of modern revelations regarding the “Church of Jesus Christ as it has been restored.” 4) The Pearl of the Great Price, which is considered by Mormons to “clarify” doctrines and teachings that were lost from the Bible and adds its own information about the earth's creation.

Mormons believe the following about God: He has not always been the Supreme Being of the universe, but attained that status through righteous living and persistent effort. They believe God the Father has a “body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s.” Though abandoned by modern Mormon leaders, Brigham Young taught that Adam actually was God and the father of Jesus Christ. In contrast, Christians know this about God: there is only one true God (Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 43:10; 44:6-8), He always has existed and always will exist (Deuteronomy 33:27; Psalm 90:2; 1 Timothy 1:17), and He was not created but is the Creator (Genesis 1; Psalm 24:1; Isaiah 37:16). He is perfect, and no one else is equal to Him (Psalm 86:8; Isaiah 40:25). God the Father is not a man, nor was He ever (Numbers 23:19; 1 Samuel 15:29; Hosea 11:9). He is Spirit (John 4:24), and Spirit is not made of flesh and bone (Luke 24:39).

Mormons believe that there are different levels or kingdoms in the afterlife: the celestial kingdom, the terrestrial kingdom, the telestial kingdom, and outer darkness. Where mankind will end up depends on what they believe and do in this life. In contrast, the Bible tells us that after death, we go to heaven or hell based on whether or not we had faith in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. To be absent from our bodies means, as believers, we are with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:6-8). Unbelievers are sent to hell or the place of the dead (Luke 16:22-23). When Jesus comes the second time, we will receive new bodies (1 Corinthians 15:50-54). There will be a new heaven and new earth for believers (Revelation 21:1), and unbelievers will be thrown into an everlasting lake of fire (Revelation 20:11-15). There is no second chance for redemption after death (Hebrews 9:27).

Mormon leaders have taught that Jesus’ incarnation was the result of a physical relationship between God the Father and Mary. Mormons believe Jesus is a god, but that any human can also become a god. Mormonism teaches that salvation can be earned by a combination of faith and good works. Contrary to this, Christians historically have taught that no one can achieve the status of God—only He is holy (1 Samuel 2:2). We can only be made holy in God's sight through faith in Him (1 Corinthians 1:2). Jesus is the only begotten Son of God (John 3:16), is the only one ever to have lived a sinless, blameless life, and now has the highest place of honor in heaven (Hebrews 7:26). Jesus and God are one in essence, Jesus being the only One existing before physical birth (John 1:1-8; 8:56). Jesus gave Himself to us as a sacrifice, God raised Him from the dead, and one day everyone will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord (Philippians 2:6-11). Jesus tells us it is impossible to get to heaven by our own works and that only by faith in Him is it possible (Matthew 19:26). We all deserve eternal punishment for our sins, but God's infinite love and grace have allowed us a way out. “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 6:23).

Clearly, there is only one way to receive salvation and that is to know God and His Son, Jesus (John 17:3). It is not done by works, but by faith (Romans 1:17; 3:28). We can receive this gift no matter who we are or what we have done (Romans 3:22). “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12).

Although Mormons are usually friendly, loving, and kind people, they are deceived by a false religion that distorts the nature of God, the Person of Jesus Christ, and the means of salvation.

Recommended Resource: Reasoning from the Scriptures with Mormons by Ron Rhodes.

Sounds like the ecumencial/false unity movement to justify their preferred candidate.

We are really at a crossroad.

Do we align ourselves with the candidate whom we consider morally loose? Or the one who's doctrine preverts the doctrine of our Savior?

I wants not part in any of it.:nono:

Sounds like the ecumencial/false unity movement to justify their preferred candidate.

We are really at a crossroad.

Do we align ourselves with the candidate whom we consider morally loose? Or the one who's doctrine preverts the doctrine of our Savior?

I wants not part in any of it.:nono:

Exactly. I have a vote and I will use it but I'm not happy about it. :ohwell:

I basically consider what will or will not incur God's judgment on our country. Treatment of the "least of these" (including, but certainly not limited to, the unborn), loyalty to Israel, and general immorality.

Do you think that the BGEA's actions in removing mormonism were acceptable?

It certainly seems sketchy to do so in the midst of this political season. Most evangelicals who are into politics vote Republican, so I think there's a pretty strong motive to take Mormonism off the cult list to remove any conflict of conscience some might have about Romney being a Mormon. Their response that they did so in order to avoid being in the middle of controversy doesn't seem too legitimate to me since the truth is what it is. If their position is and always has been that it's a cult, why should the fact that people are actually paying attention to their stance make a difference now?

As far as whether Mormonism actually is a "cult," I guess people will disagree about that.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more, Coily ... as much as I like Billy Graham...I'm also disappointed to hear about this political move on a religious platform...shaky.. I don't see where Romney's principles align with God's Word, if he clearly states that his plan is to give to the rich and take away from the poor. Romney doesnt have a bone in his body to care about the social welfare of Americans..the least of these. I'm not guessing, just going by the words that come out of his own mouth.

Highly disappointing when Christians bend for the world. Don't be silent now!

I couldn't agree more, Coily ... as much as I like Billy Graham...I'm also disappointed to hear about this political move on a religious platform...shaky.. I don't see where Romney's principles align with God's Word, if he clearly states that his plan is to give to the rich and take away from the poor. Romney doesnt have a bone in his body to care about the social welfare of Americans..the least of these. I'm not guessing, just going by the words that come out of his own mouth.
Sis, I don't even want to get started about Romney or Billy Graham at this point:nono:

It just shows us that we need to participate in the voting process and cannot trust everyone to vote according to what is important to us.

America restored.....well, ask Metacom and King Phillip about that. It's not a state religion but be sure to vote in somebody who is a christian who will uphold christianity as though it were the state religion. See what I mean? Just vote for a just president, sheesh. I don't need a christian in office. He doesn't determine what my church teaches. Sigh.... I truly hate this "return to American values" because all I can think about are those who were MURDERED under this system.

Last edited:
Shortly after the meeting with the Grahams and Romney, the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association scrubbed prior references to Mormonism as a cult from its website because, the association said, "we do not wish to participate in a theological debate about something that has become politicized during this campaign."

I'm disappointed that they are wasting their evangelical credibility to support their candidate of choice. They should always be willing to support theological truth.

I'm disappointed but not surprised.

This election is revealing the heart and mind of so many people....especially in the workplace.

this is all so problematic. I have a lot of feelings about this, i may need to write them down to sort them out.

edit: ya'll i think we should pray for these people. And the people this will effect.

Christians believe (well supposed to) that the word of God supersedes everything. But they're putting their political affiliations over that. :/ hmm

Last edited:
I washed my hair of this election a long time ago...

Neither candidate merits the support of those who follow the heart of God.

I'll never forget the words of Elijah in I Kings 18:21....

"How long will you halt between two opinions? If God be God, serve God, if baal be god, serve baal."

As Joshua said: "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord." (without compromise).

I'm not invested in any of these men; for that's just who both of them are, Romney and Obama, two men who have forsaken God with their slick politricks.

How can I pray for someone who comes to me for prayer about their pregnancy, their babies, their children in school, or a couple who wants to conceive...and then support a man who blatantly supports abortion and in such torrid extremes. Aborted Babies born alive...left to die; Abortions allowed up to 37 weeks of pregnancy... No to Obama

My prayers will not only be compromised, but weakened.

How can I pray for someone who asks for prayers for their marriage; or for one who desires to be married; to pray God's protection over one's marriage, and support someone who validates refining marriage for gays. No to Obama.

How can I pray for those in need, and yet support one who doesn't care about the needs of others. No to Romney...

I would not miss this election for anything. I'm going straight to those polls and I am voting against every candidate who does not respect my values; and writing in those who do. This is my right and my duty as a Christian. It's time to make it clear that as a Christian, I do not have to settle and will not settle or compromise.

Choose you this day whom you will serve, as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord ...

Last edited:
Shimmie said:
I washed my hair of this election a long time ago...

Neither candidate merits the support of those who follow the heart of God.

I'll never forget the words of Elijah in I Kings 18:21....

"How long will you halt between two opinions? If God be God, serve God, if baal be god, serve baal."

As Joshua said: "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord." (without compromise).

I'm not invested in any of these men; for that's just who both of them are, Romney and Obama, two men who have forsaken God with their slick politricks.

How can I pray for someone who comes to me for prayer about their pregnancy, their babies, their children in school, or a couple who wants to conceive...and then support a man who blatantly supports abortion and in such torrid extremes. Aborted Babies born alive...left to die; Abortions allowed up to 37 weeks of pregnancy... No to Obama

My prayers will not only be compromised, but weakened.

How can I pray for someone who asks for prayers for their marriage; or for one who desires to be married; to pray God's protection over one's marriage, and support someone who validates refining marriage for gays. No to Obama.

How can I pray for those in need, and yet support one who doesn't care about the needs of others. No to Romney...

I would not miss this election for anything. I'm going straight to those polls and I am voting against every candidate who does not respect my values; and writing in those who do. This is my right and my duty as a Christian. It's time to make it clear that as a Christian, I do not have to settle and will settle for compromise.

Choose you this day whom you will serve, as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord ...

All. Of. This.

this is all so problematic. I have a lot of feelings about this, i may need to write them down to sort them out.

edit: ya'll i think we should pray for these people. And the people this will effect.

Christians believe (well supposed to) that the word of God supersedes everything. But they're putting their political affiliations over that. :/ hmm

That is what concerns me. I have been praying. I don't know why but I was really hurt when I heard about mormonism being removed from the website as a cult as a sudden flip flip once Romney came to visit. This is not like chic fil a where their master plan is to sell chicken and they just happened to take a political/religious stance on an issue. The BGEA's sole purpose is to spread the gospel of Christ. Now, they appear to be pandering to or accepting whatever is convenient to further their perceived political goals. I do think that delaying God's wrath on this nation is absolutely of importance but they could have made their point without backtracking on the stance they have always taken regarding mormonism. When non-Christians see a group as influential as the BGEA do this, what are they to think...That we can change our minds regarding right and wrong whenever we feel like it.

That is what concerns me. I have been praying. I don't know why but I was really hurt when I heard about mormonism being removed from the website as a cult as a sudden flip flip once Romney came to visit. This is not like chic fil a where their master plan is to sell chicken and they just happened to take a political/religious stance on an issue. The BGEA's sole purpose is to spread the gospel of Christ. Now, they appear to be pandering to or accepting whatever is convenient to further their perceived political goals. I do think that delaying God's wrath on this nation is absolutely of importance but they could have made their point without backtracking on the stance they have always taken regarding mormonism. When non-Christians see a group as influential as the BGEA do this, what are they to think...That we can change our minds regarding right and wrong whenever we feel like it.

The question is WHEN do Christian leaders make the candidates 'accountable' to Christ's Values instead of falling passive to the candidates or the latest 'social trend'? There are far too many ministries surrendering to social pressures, and the truth is that they do not have to.

I'm not surrendering my God given authority and power over to the wickedness of this world to control me, rather than me allowing the Holy Spirit to be in control. God said to 'fear' HIM, not man. I don't kiss butts; they have bad wind. :nono: God's word says not to be tossed about by every wind and doctrine.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I have a question for you.

If I go to the polls and I vote for say...I can't even think of anyone right now....that will clearly be a vote for someone that I know beforehand will not win this election. However, I know that God changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. So, by washing your hair of it you mean that you'll do your civic duty, vote for someone who supports your belief systems and be done with it because at that point, whatever is going to happen is in God's hands. Is that correct?

I feel as though if I don't vote between these two lunatics, I'm wasting my vote. It really never occurred to me not to vote for either of them because like I said...I felt it would be a wasted vote. How is that different from not voting at all? I'm frustrated with the entire thing. i actually went to the library and stood there and then left because I was sick to my stomach. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for posting. I have a question for you.

If I go to the polls and I vote for say...I can't even think of anyone right now....that will clearly be a vote for someone that I know beforehand will not win this election. However, I know that God changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. So, by washing your hair of it you mean that you'll do your civic duty, vote for someone who supports your belief systems and be done with it because at that point, whatever is going to happen is in God's hands. Is that correct?

I feel as though if I don't vote between these two lunatics, I'm wasting my vote. It really never occurred to me not to vote for either of them because like I said...I felt it would be a wasted vote. How is that different from not voting at all? I'm frustrated with the entire thing. i actually went to the library and stood there and then left because I was sick to my stomach. What are your thoughts?

I was very sick to my stomach by the results of both candidates for this election term. 2008 was the very first election that I felt 'invested' in and contributed money to. The very first and none since.

There are 3rd party candidates out there and others who are not on the ballots, yet support my values. I'm online looking up each name and what they represent and the ones who are of 'value' to my vote are the ones I'm writing in.

You can believe that those who watched my voting pattern in 2008 are watching now and will wonder, 'why the change?'. You can trust that people are following the voting trends, candidates use this information to gage their campaigns. When enough people make a 'dent' in what these candidates expected, they will indeed wonder why.

I'm not throwing my right to vote away, no indeed, I am not. I'm using my vote to send a message and someone somewhere will indeed get it.

There are also those in the senate committee that I wish to eliminate. I'm doing the same with them as well. I am also voting on issues such as gay marriage which in Maryland is Question 6 and indeed I cannot press that panel button hard enough that says, 'AGAINST'. I've vested myself in the campaigns in Maryland against it. I purposely remained employed and maintained my Maryland residency just for this election and this question, as it means just that much to me and my family. I have absolutely no regrets.

The point is this. We as Christians have to vote for the values of God, for if we do not, who else will? Why do 'we' as Christians have to follow in the muddy footsteps of the world which is against God. As Christians, we should not allow the world to be in our voting, weakening our stand; and we have been given a voice from God to take a stand for Him.

If other 'groups' can take a stand for their sin, what can't Christians take a stand for righteousness? We've been delivered from sin, why lean to help those issues which do not seek deliverance? It's the same as going back to Egypt.

For Christians to be mute, is to do nothing, which is to allow sin to rule. I'm not under that weak umbrella. :nono:

It goes back to Joshua: "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord."

Last edited:
I was very sick to my stomach by the results of both candidates for this election term. 2008 was the very first election that I felt 'invested' in and contributed money to. The very first and none since.

There are 3rd party candidates out there and others who are not on the ballots, yet support my values. I'm online looking up each name and what they represent and the ones who are of 'value' to my vote are the ones I'm writing in.

You can believe that those who watched my voting pattern in 2008 are watching now and will wonder, 'why the change?'. You can trust that people are following the voting trends, candidates use this information to gage their campaigns. When enough people make a 'dent' in what these candidates expected, they will indeed wonder why.

I'm not throwing my right to vote away, no indeed, I am not. I'm using my vote to send a message and someone somewhere will indeed get it.

There are also those in the senate committee that I wish to eliminate. I'm doing the same with them as well. I am also voting on issues such as gay marriage which in Maryland is Question 6 and indeed I cannot press that panel button hard enough that says, 'AGAINST'. I've vested myself in the campaigns in Maryland against it. I purposely remained employed and maintained my Maryland residency just for this election and this question, as it means just that much to me and my family. I have absolutely no regrets.

The point is this. We as Christians have to vote for the values of God, for if we do not, who else will? Why do 'we' as Christians have to follow in the muddy footsteps of the world which is against God. As Christians, we should not allow the world to be in our voting, weakening our stand; and we have been given a voice from God to take a stand for Him.

If other 'groups' can take a stand for their sin, what can't Christians take a stand for righteousness? We've been delivered from sin, why lean to help those issues which do not seek deliverance? It's the same as going back to Egypt.

For Christians to be mute, is to do nothing, which is to allow sin to rule. I'm not under that weak umbrella. :nono:

The bolded is what I'm doing as well.

I have been voting for years and this is the hardest time I have ever had....EVER! Not because of Obama and Romney, they are small fries, but knowing that they are not the ones who should be leading this country for the next 4 years and knowing that whoever gets elected, we are going to have some serious problems in this country, and I'm not talking about economics or other social issues that have people in an uproar...this is spiritual folks and the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob shall not be mocked!

This country is at a crossroads and what I see is that there are many "Christians" who are flowing towards the world and what it has to offer, rather than trusting GOD and what He says to do...especially those who are leaders. I am so disappointed in the many leaders that are falling by the wayside and going into the broad gate that will lead to destruction. God is not pleased:nono:.

It's difficult as a Christian and as a minister to see what is happening in this country that I love. But, I trust the One that is able to make all Grace abound for me, that in my weakness...He is made strong and His love is perfected in and through me. I must remain focused and fixed and not get off course.

From the first day of this year 2012, God gave me a word and it was to stay FOCUSED. I will not be moved...I will remain in the position that He has placed me and I will do what it is He commanded me to do and I will do it, because I love Him!

“These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.”
John 16:33

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. Selah. The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our stronghold. Selah. Psalm 46:1-3,7

Thank you Shimmie. I really feel like it was meant for me to read your post before I voted. I think that's why I ended up leaving. I just could not bring myself to vote for either of them. Thank you for clarifying. I'm off to find a candidate that represents God's values. :yep:

I have been voting for years and this is the hardest time I have ever had....EVER! Not because of Obama and Romney, they are small fries, but knowing that they are not the ones who should be leading this country for the next 4 years and knowing that whoever gets elected, we are going to have some serious problems in this country, and I'm not talking about economics or other social issues that have people in an uproar...this is spiritual folks and the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob shall not be mocked!

This country is at a crossroads and what I see is that there are many "Christians" who are flowing towards the world and what it has to offer, rather than trusting GOD and what He says to do...especially those who are leaders. I am so disappointed in the many leaders that are falling by the wayside and going into the broad gate that will lead to destruction. God is not pleased:nono:.

It's difficult as a Christian and as a minister to see what is happening in this country that I love. But, I trust the One that is able to make all Grace abound for me, that in my weakness...He is made strong and His love is perfected in and through me. I must remain focused and fixed and not get off course.

From the first day of this year 2012, God gave me a word and it was to stay FOCUSED. I will not be moved...I will remain in the position that He has placed me and I will do what it is He commanded me to do and I will do it, because I love Him!

“These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.”
John 16:33

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. Selah. The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our stronghold. Selah. Psalm 46:1-3,7

I'll tell you something else, Precious Wavy... :love3:

When stuff starts to happen, I can stand before God and say I had no part whatsoever is this, I did not align myself, with these two candidates, knowing what they were about. It's one thing to know and to continue support of, and another thing for those who did not know and have blinded innocense. Yet still quite another to know and to support their calamity and rebellion against God.

James 4:17

Therefore, anyone who knows what is right but fails to do it is guilty of sin.

Luke 11:28

He replied, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it."

I'm not going to help spread the fully proclaimed and intended sins of these candidates by voting for them. No, :nono: For that sets me in agreement with them. I've washed my hair of it; my conscience shall be clear.

Father God, open my eyes to see which man (or woman) shall be, written in. For this I thank you, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.

Thank you Shimmie. I really feel like it was meant for me to read your post before I voted. I think that's why I ended up leaving. I just could not bring myself to vote for either of them. Thank you for clarifying. I'm off to find a candidate that represents God's values. :yep:

Just ask the Holy Spirit to lead and guide you into 'all' Truth. He will never fail to do so. God loves us just that much and much, much more. I'd rather follow God than 'miss it' and endure the consequences thereof.

The Book of Daniel is one of the best resources which prove God's faithfulness when it comes to following those in leadership.

My biggest fear concerning a Romney win is for the people who will be attracted to Mormonism. Christians (as the BGEA claims to be) are supposed to be concerned about souls of others, about spreading the Gospel. Many people could be lost as a result.

My concern with Obama is the complacency toward sin. It's just business/politics. I don't want to compartmentalize my faith, I want my entire life and all of my decisions to flow FROM my faith.

I'm tired of SEARCHING for reasons and excuses to make this OK..That's what I have been doing.

I'll tell you something else, Precious Wavy... :love3:

When stuff starts to happen, I can stand before God and say I had no part whatsoever is this, I did not align myself, with these two candidates, knowing what they were about. It's one thing to know and to continue support of, and another thing for those who did not know and have blinded innocense. Yet still quite another to know and to support their calamity and rebellion against God.

James 4:17

Therefore, anyone who knows what is right but fails to do it is guilty of sin.

Luke 11:28

He replied, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it."

I'm not going to help spread the fully proclaimed and intended sins of these candidates by voting for them. No, :nono: For that sets me in agreement with them. I've washed my hair of it; my conscience shall be clear.

Father God, open my eyes to see which man (or woman) shall be, written in. For this I thank you, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
That's where I'm at too, Shimmie....my conscience will be clear and my hands clean in this area. :yep:

On my way to church...ttyl!

Back