what did you do to you hair in college ?

SummerRain said:
what did you do to you hair in college ?

short answer....ruined it.

oh my goodness! EXACTLY!!! :look:

to make a long story short. My hair was pressed when I was in college. Decided one day that I would give MYSELF a perm--because I got sick of the frizzies on rainy and foggy days.

Gave myself a Hawaiian Silky perm. Didn't use neutralizing shampoo. just washed it with regular poo.

Head was on fie for DAYS! Hair was brittle like a mug.

Had to get all of hair cut off---shaved in the back. :ohwell:

I've kind of learned that it's best to do as little manipulating as possible. Keep it simple throughout the weekand always put on a scarf as night no matter how tired you are or how late you've been studying. Also, I'm in school in the northeast even though i'm from the south so I've definitely learned that caring for my hair in the winter is a whole new experience and it acts totally different. Be careful to pay attention to any climate differences!

Hi Aloha!

I was relaxed when I started college back in 98 and did not know a thing about taking care of hair. I opted for extentions at the time so I didn't have to worry about my hair while trying to adjust to a totally different lifestyle. If I were to do it again, I would still do as I did before. I lot of the women on the board have great extention and braid regimines to allow their hair to rest and stay healthy while looking fly at the same time.
Congrats and good luck with your studies.

Hello All,
My name is Tracy and I am a newbi here. I locked my hair in college. I graduated last summer and decided to cut my shoulder length locs. Now I am trying to do something with my hair. . . haven't figured that out yet though:ohwell: I'm glad I found this site. I've always wanted long hair.

Im in college now and Im transitioning. I usually wear braid outs or braid my hair up. Once in a whiel Ill get a rollerset and blow out from the nearby Domincans but I like no fuss hair because I usually overload every semester and I literally dont have time for my hair.

apples said:
oh my goodness! EXACTLY!!! :look:

to make a long story short. My hair was pressed when I was in college. Decided one day that I would give MYSELF a perm--because I got sick of the frizzies on rainy and foggy days.

Gave myself a Hawaiian Silky perm. Didn't use neutralizing shampoo. just washed it with regular poo.

Head was on fie for DAYS! Hair was brittle like a mug.

Had to get all of hair cut off---shaved in the back. :ohwell:

:eek: :eek: :eek: OMG Apples! :lol: What an experience...

The pic in your avatar shows that your hair grew back nicely though. :grin:

as some of you know, i'm going to Wellesley in the fall... I can take care of my hair but i'm worried about the water, and i'm worried about looking cute... but then again, there are no boys around:lol: but jeez i'm trying to make myself over, u know, look cute always.

I want to be able to wear my hair down a little more often, although, come to think of it, i'll only have the opportunit to do so from Sept. to early November, then when the snow comes, the hair has to be hidden, right??? I guess I need to go on a super moisture regimen.

And geez, going to a predominantly white school, in a predominantly white town, where am I going to find someone to rollerset my hair! i was thinking of airdrying, then using Caruso rollers (which i haven't even bought yet) or something, when i want a cute style... maybe? :look:

i went to the Hair Cuttery down here in MIA, and it took that woman almost 45 minutes to rollerset my hair! and that's with BIG rollers! now imagine being in Boston where they don't normally deal with Afrocentric texture. ugh. help.

I'm in college and will be a junior in the fall. Freshmen year I started self-relaxing, after the first semester I decided to transition. It was only because that was something I wanted to do anyway. At my college, their are a limited number of reputale black salons. Most people do their own relaxers or have friends do it for them.

The water was terrible while I was in the dormatory, now Im living in campus apts. and Im sure it is just as bad but in the dorms the water would turn brown sometimes. They would make an announcement for us not to take showers or use the water in any way. I am in baltimore for school so they have problems with their water anyway. Now that I am in the apts. I see the reddish residue on the shower head and I'm guessing that is from the hard water. To solve the problem with the water while in the dorms I wore braids for two years. I know it is bad but I probably washed my hair once in the two months I had them in....but I saw no ill effects.

I will be a sophmore this year and my hair actually thrived my first year of college. I knew about this hair board several months before i went to college so i already knew what worked best for me.

I washed my hair every friday after my classes (mainly because the only time i care about looking cute is when i go out during the weekend). I always deep conditioned for an hour with a plastic cap (perfect time to do homework), during the winter i would use a hot oil treatment as well. After washing I detangled my hair, blow dried it then flat ironed it. I only wore my hair down Friday and Saturday. On Sunday through Friday morning I either clipped my hair up or had it in a pony tail. I hardly ever combed or brushed my hair. I woke up 15 minutes before class a lot, and would just clip my hair up. My laziness actually helped my hair become thicker.

When i went home for break, which was like every 3-5 months i would get a relaxer and only wear protective styles while at home to give my hair a break.

Hmmm that's all i remember doing.

CarLiTa said:
as some of you know, i'm going to Wellesley in the fall... I can take care of my hair but i'm worried about the water, and i'm worried about looking cute... but then again, there are no boys around:lol: but jeez i'm trying to make myself over, u know, look cute always.

I want to be able to wear my hair down a little more often, although, come to think of it, i'll only have the opportunit to do so from Sept. to early November, then when the snow comes, the hair has to be hidden, right??? I guess I need to go on a super moisture regimen.

And geez, going to a predominantly white school, in a predominantly white town, where am I going to find someone to rollerset my hair! i was thinking of airdrying, then using Caruso rollers (which i haven't even bought yet) or something, when i want a cute style... maybe? :look:

i went to the Hair Cuttery down here in MIA, and it took that woman almost 45 minutes to rollerset my hair! and that's with BIG rollers! now imagine being in Boston where they don't normally deal with Afrocentric texture. ugh. help.

Hey Carlita!

Well, Im going to grad school in the fall (Babson College- which is in Wellesley too)I went to undergrad in Boston too. While I was there, I went to Olive's Beauty Salon and then to Hair Body and Soul (started by an Olve's former stylist). They rollerset hair ALL day in those huge blue mesh rollers. My hair only STARTED growing when I moved up there. So no worries!

They charge about 35 for a rollerset which is pricey for students. But there are also DOminican salons in Boston that roll really well.

Dont worry gurl! We'll link up:)

macherieamour said:
Hey Carlita!

Well, Im going to grad school in the fall (Babson College- which is in Wellesley too)I went to undergrad in Boston too. While I was there, I went to Olive's Beauty Salon and then to Hair Body and Soul (started by an Olve's former stylist). They rollerset hair ALL day in those huge blue mesh rollers. My hair only STARTED growing when I moved up there. So no worries!

They charge about 35 for a rollerset which is pricey for students. But there are also DOminican salons in Boston that roll really well.

Dont worry gurl! We'll link up:)

YAY!!! Thanks! I'm going to google those places to find out the addresses. Yes, 35 is pricey for students, lol. That'll be for special occasions, hehe. But at least there are Dominican salons in Boston. Babson is actually just a mile away from Wellesley C.!

I will be a sophomore in college this fall and I didnt REALLY begin to take care of my hair until the middle of 1st semester. In fall I went to school with braids, took them out after a month and gave myself a perm. And I actually thought it looked fine. :ohwell: My hair was broken off from the micros, but in November my stylist cut it into a nice cut...and in January before going back to school she gave me bangs (she was VERY scissors happy and didnt even ask) :wallbash: Luckily they grew out, and after a 4 month stretch my hair grew 2-3 inches and my bangs grew out.:woot: But my scissors happy stylist trimmed 1-1 1/2 inches off. :mad: All I did was wash my hair every week and wrap it. Since I didnt really go anywhere besides class I didnt worry about flat ironing, let alone unwrapping my hair at all. I would go to class with a scarf on my head and my hood on my jacket covering it. Because I wasnt touching, combing, and using a lot of heat, it helped me to retain a lot of length. BIG change from HS where I used to use spritz and heat everyday, brush hair while wet, and so many horrible things. In April I ran across this bored and that is when I began to learn a lot more about taking care of my hair. (I love you guys) Funny how before I started college I thought I could NEVER take care of my own hair without going to the hairdresser every 2 weeks.

Back