• 10 to 12 weeks

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • 13 to 15 weeks

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • 16 or more weeks

Votes: 13 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Never less than 8 weeks but I would go to 14 weeks sometimes......I did not have a set routine touch-up time.

Once every 4 weeks. Even when I had a stylist, (who told me I needed them that often.):ohwell:

While I know everyone's hair is different, my hair is too fine for having relaxers that close together. My hair is so thick now that I don't do that anymore.

I use to relax every 4 weeks..And I too use to wear my hair short and tappered in the back and sides and I would relax that area every 2 weeks or so.

This is one of so many reasons why I decided to grow my hair out cus it is high maintenance taking care of short hair...IMO

I am so surprised at the 4 -week people. I thought it was just me! I was even told (and believed it) that because of my hair type I needed to relax every 4 weeks. My hair was pretty thin - not too coarse either.

it was like every 4 to 5 weeks. I talked to my mom about this the other day. She was laughing because now i stretch ( currently on week 10 yayz) and back in the day I would start getting antsy around week 3

Every 13 weeks or more. My hair is very fine and soft so I would stretch them. Never knew it was good for me

...Every 6 weeks like clock work.
I had no idea how to handle my new growth.

Havent had a relaxer in almost 4 years now.

Every 4 weeks. My stylist even suggested this was best for my fine thin hair... :perplexed :perplexed My hair never grew past my chin/neck area & I couldn't figure out why. You figure your stylist/beautician would know best. I realize now they were looking out for their wallets not the health of my hair...:ohwell:

Every 5-6 weeks. I didn't relax from root to tip, but I had lots of overlapping, and I didn't care about it or to protect it.

I now relax every 12-13.

Last edited:
I knew about the benefits of stretching relaxers long before LHCF and initially I was relaxing every 3/4 months - unfortunately I did not keep that up and started relaxing every 6-8 weeks which was much too regular for my hair. I am now aiming to relax twice yearly.

Roughly every 8-9 weeks. I mainly judged my need to get a touch-up by how my hair was shedding. I only relaxed the new growth.

My sister was different though. She'd get a relaxer like once or twice a year.

I relaxed every 4-6 weeks, sometimes longer if I had braids or a weave. The only adverse affect I had breakage in a very coarse patch of hair in my crown area. I actually think the main source of the breakage was lack of moisture and not the relaxing, but it's hard to tell - maybe it was both. (Um....my hair also stayed around shoulder-length or shorter.)

I used "box" no-lye perms for years, then switched to Phyto no-lye.

I now relax every 4-6 months, still with Phyto.

Every 5 wks bone straight. Now I only get no more than 4 relaxers a year. Last year I only relaxed 3 times.

I knew about the benefits of stretching relaxers long before LHCF and initially I was relaxing every 3/4 months - unfortunately I did not keep that up and started relaxing every 6-8 weeks which was much too regular for my hair. I am now aiming to relax twice yearly.

How did you know this? Were you a member of another hair board? I had NEVER even heard the term stretching before I joined the hair forums.

I would relax every 3 to 4 months...maybe even longer. However, that was because I was weaved up without a care in the world!!!

I used to relax everysix weeks cause Ialways had alot of new growth back then. Now, I try to leave it till about 12 weeks.

Way before LHCF when I was relaxed; I relaxed my hair twice a year. I stumbled upon this forum when I was looking for ways to manage my natural hair.

Back