what are u doing with your hair this summer

I too will rely on the infamous braidout! My hair is SUPER thick and it gets so humid and gross here, so there is no way to rock a flat iron or anything like that. My rollersets never dry b/c the dryer makes me sweat (yes even with a/c!) I'll continue to deep condition once a week and bump up my washes to a consistent two or three a week as opposed to the once or twice a week. For styling I rock the curly 'fro (use bandana or something similar to tie back) or the curly pony

I am currently braided and am thinking about wiggin' it for the summer. . .But I do like wearing my hair out, and the humidity may be good for it. We'll see. . .

Braids, braids, and more braids! I just had some braids put in on April 7 and plan to have them redone about every ten weeks.

classimami713 said:
I am currently braided and am thinking about wiggin' it for the summer. . .But I do like wearing my hair out, and the humidity may be good for it. We'll see. . .

I, too, am thinking about wiggin' it for the summer. Need to find a nice wig first though.

kinikini2 said:
Well my bun challenge is officially over and I am an inch ahead of plan (growth-wise).. I am about 3 weeks into a 12-week MSM challenge and keeping up with my other vits - biotin, multi-vit, omega 3,6,9-oils.

So summer will be to grow more and retain thickness, and as I get closer to my goal, I won't have to trim too much for it to look good. Plan: keep ends oiled and moist, fewer Dominican blow-outs and less heat, more con-washing and air-drying. Utilize cute styles such as bantu knot twist-outs and flexi-rod sets. NO coloring -- just clear colorshines.

I"m pretty much sticking to what has worked and brought me thus far.
i didn't know there was a msm challenge, can i join? i've just received my mine today.

Slick back wet look/with some curls. On and Off & of course my loose BUN. HAPPY HAIR GROWING!

I just started experminting with curly 3/4 falls and I am really loving the look. Right now I am trying to find the best way to wear my hair under the fall, last night I did banta knots and this morning I just undid the front two to get the look that I was going for with the fall.

I think for the summer I will touch up in May (12 weeks) or go longer until June and wear my falls to give my hair a break.

Stretching my relaxer and deep conditioning with DPR-11 every week, protein treatements every other week alternated with a light reconstructor and wearing it in a ponytail ALL THE TIME.

carletta said:
BRAIDS BABY !!!!!!!!!!!.............. :orders: BRAIDS BACK TO BACK TIL AUGUST ! :yay: :yay: :yay: DOING THE CROWN & GLORY METHOD AGAIN !
I also will keep taking the GNC Ultranourishhair, this stuff is helping my growth rate too :grin: :yep:

I JUST GOT BACK FROM GETTING MY BOX BRAIDS DONE !!!! :woot: :woot: :clapping:

I am stretching my perm from 3/17 to 7/15 *longest I've ever stretched, I hope I can do it* So obviously, I"m going to have to do: frequent conditioner washes (3 times a week) and I plan to wear braidouts and buns, and sometimes, I'll just braid my hair without extensions. Then, when i get a perm, it'll be for my 17th birthday on July 22nd and to take my senior pictures. I might wear my hair out a few times that week, and starting July 25th, i'm back in the bun and hat wearing cuz I'll be at band camp in 90-100 degree Miami weather!

OH, AND I'M HOPING FOR A GROWTH SPURT BY THE TIME I GET MY RELAXER! *crossing fingers HARD!* lol

I know i'll probably get growth spurts during band camp and band season but I want one in JUNE too!

I'm going to do more cowashes. maybe 3-4 a week, as opposed to only 2. I will lay off blasting my heater in my cube at work. (yes i do have a heater) :grin: U know i finally realized that i was blasting my heat in my car and at my desk, every single day and i believe this was totally dryihg my hair out. (duh!) I now only have the foot heat on in my car, i don't do the vent heat. anyways, yea and from reading posts,i've found out that rinses and cellophanes are harmless conditioners and can be applied at home. so this news alone is like receiving a chrismas gift in april!! as soon as i get my touch-up im going to give myself a coloring. (haven't figured out which). as for my summer styles. i want to come up with a routine so that i rock a rollerset for 5 days, then i do 7 day everyday co-wash and braid-outs. something like that would be cool!!!!

CO washes 3 to 4 times a week....I'm really liking these!

For styles, I want to do wash & gos, braid/twist outs, flat twists and phony tails. I suffer too much damage to my hair line for me to try braids again for any extended periods of time.

I'm dying to get these braids out of my head! But alas, I'm going to have to hold it down for at least 2 more weeks. I plan on getting my first Dominican blow out and a much need trim before I leave DC. Then I'm going to be buning, rocking the phony pony and occassionally straightening until I get more braids in. But next time, I'm getting Senagelese twists from a professional.

LaNecia said:
CO washes 3 to 4 times a week....I'm really liking these!

For styles, I want to do wash & gos, braid/twist outs, flat twists and phony tails. I suffer too much damage to my hair line for me to try braids again for any extended periods of time.
hey lanecia, have you just started co washes? their brilliant aren't they, my hair remains so soft.

Last year I was washing my hair daily and the summer spurt made my hair grow three inches in three months :yay: so I plan on doing that again. I co wash it everday now!

Whoever began the CW Phenomenon is a genius!!
I was very reluctant at first but now my hair is super silky without all the products or trying to get it that way!! The best thing ever for my NG!!!
*standing ovation*:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
I am going to wear box braids this summer. I have already found someone who is going to do them for me for $30.00. She has done braids for my best friend and does an excellent job.

ETA: I'm also going to do daily rinses/CO washes and use MTG to see if I can get some super growth during the summer months. :D

Last edited:
anky said:
Last year I was washing my hair daily and the summer spurt made my hair grow three inches in three months :yay: so I plan on doing that again. I co wash it everday now!

What do you do with your hair after your daily CW?? I wanted to experiment with those this summer, but I don't know how I will keep from manipulating my hair so much.

The crown and glory method has worked so well for me. I plan on getting braids some time during May before my trip to Denver for volleyball nationals.

Right now, I'm doing conditioner washes ever couple days and wearing puffs, twists and bantu knots. After 6 weeks of my last sew-in, it feels good to play in my hair again.

asubeauty said:
What do you do with your hair after your daily CW?? I wanted to experiment with those this summer, but I don't know how I will keep from manipulating my hair so much.

After Co-washing, I throw vaseline on it and throw it in a bun. If i use a phony pony, I put a baggie over it first.

I want to add that even though I co-wash daily, I don't comb my hair everday. And when I do comb it, I am under the shower.

anky said:

I'm doing this again too when it gets a little warmer. Wash & go is sooo easy for the summer, I can't wait! :)

Back